Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Why We Should Take WR in Round 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
We have all seen that offensive line is a critical factor to success. However, we’ve also seen, including during the course of our own franchise, the dividends having a lightning and thunder combination at the WR position can pay. If we really think there is a chance that a book end, franchise altering left tackle, then obviously you cannot pass that. However, There is also an opportunity to take your truly elite receiver this year at 9. Well our line play has been average, we really have not had elite pass catchers on this team in a long time. Pairing a receiver like Jeudy opposite of Chark could be a combination that works for the next 5-6 years. Defense can be patched by free agency rapidly next season, but chemistry with a pass catcher and a franchise quarterback takes time to develop. Either way, I’m hoping the first two picks are WR and offensive line.
(04-13-2020, 09:02 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]We have all seen that offensive line is a critical factor to success. However, we’ve also seen, including during the course of our own franchise, the dividends having a lightning and thunder combination at the WR position can pay. If we really think there is a chance that a book end, franchise altering left tackle, then obviously you cannot pass that. However, There is also an opportunity to take your truly elite receiver this year at 9. Well our line play has been average, we really have not had elite pass catchers on this team in a long time. Pairing a receiver like Jeudy opposite of Chark could be a combination that works for the next 5-6 years. Defense can be patched by free agency rapidly next season, but chemistry with a pass catcher and a franchise quarterback takes time to develop. Either way, I’m hoping the first two picks are WR and offensive line.

Thank you Matt Millen for your input.
(04-13-2020, 09:20 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-13-2020, 09:02 PM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]We have all seen that offensive line is a critical factor to success. However, we’ve also seen, including during the course of our own franchise, the dividends having a lightning and thunder combination at the WR position can pay. If we really think there is a chance that a book end, franchise altering left tackle, then obviously you cannot pass that. However, There is also an opportunity to take your truly elite receiver this year at 9. Well our line play has been average, we really have not had elite pass catchers on this team in a long time. Pairing a receiver like Jeudy opposite of Chark could be a combination that works for the next 5-6 years. Defense can be patched by free agency rapidly next season, but chemistry with a pass catcher and a franchise quarterback takes time to develop. Either way, I’m hoping the first two picks are WR and offensive line.

Thank you Matt Millen for your input.

Haha. Thing is there is no Calvin Johnson in this draft. Jeudy makes me think of Amari Cooper. If he's as smooth as Amari, take him in the first round. But not over Wirfs or Thomas if you think they are 10 year starters at LT. That's more valuable than a decent but not elite #1 receiver. There are a ton of good receiving prospects to be had down to rounds 4 or 5. Get the receiver at #20, if anything. Denzel Mims, Justin Jefferson, etc.
There is no elite WR in this draft. If Fitz, Megatron, AJ Green, Julio, Blackmon etc. was in this draft then you take him. But there isnt. Blackmon was an elite WR prospect he just had a drinking problem.
WR at 20 would be acceptable, but not at 9.

I'm with you man.
I agree wr and offensive line in the first round. No DT brown like so many want
There's not 1 elite Wr in this draft, because there's multiple. Lamb, Juedy, and Ruggs are soo soo good and a couple of guys (Ayiuk/Laviska/Mims/Raegor) have potential to be elite.

I'm absolutely fine taking any of the 3 at 9

Let me preface by saying I do not believe the Jaguars will go for a WR at 9.  It is not the most dire need on the team, as we have a decent WR in Chark already.  Secondly, this is a very deep WR draft class, and I've consistently heard you could find second round talent at WR as late as the 4th round.  History has shown Caldwell tends to take WRs in the 2nd round and later, especially in deep WR classes.  He took Marquise Lee and A-Rob in the second round in 2014 and Chark at the bottom of the second round in 2018.

That said, there is some positive precedence for your position.

The 1970s Steelers were known for their defensive dominance and trap centered running attack.  But they took more receivers (2 Frank Lewis and Lynn Swann in the first round between 1969 (Chuck Noll's first year) and 1979 than offensive linemen (0).  The Steeler emphasized skill position players during that time and won four Super Bowls.

The 1980s saw the 49ers win the title of team of the decade.  They took as many WRs in the first round (1) between 1979 (Bill Walsh's first year) and 1989 as offensive linemen (1).  That WR was Jerry Rice.  While their first round lineman (Harris Barton) was a good pick, he was not as important to the 49ers success as Jerry Rice.

The team of the 1990s was Dallas, who was bolstered by the Herschel Walker and Steve Walsh trades.  But as bad as Jimmy Jonson's first team in Dallas was, and as comprehensive a rebuild as was necessary, it should be noted the overwhelming majority of his early picks were skill position players.  Between the 1990-1993 drafts that featured the Cowboys having multiple picks in the first three rounds in each of the drafts between 1990 and 1992, Johnson spent ZERO first round picks on offensive linemen, one first round pick on WRs (Alvin Harper) and three second round picks on WR (Alexander Wright, Jimmy Smith-yes THAT one- and Kevin Williams).  Furthermore, the year before Johnson arrived, Dallas drafted WR Michael Irvin 11th overall-not too far from the 9 spot we currently own.

Now I don't think anyone will ever have the three year draft capital haul that Dallas had during that time.  The next two drafts may be the closest we may ever get to that.  But if we were to follow a precedent in building a championship team, that Dallas team is a good example to follow.

Of course, having the picks is no guarantee of draft success, even if you put the focus on playmakers.  The Rams were similarly stocked in high draft picks after the Eric Dickerson trade, with along with "six draft picks= three each from the Bills and Colts, including each teams’ first and second round picks in 1988."

Read More: Halloween, 1987: Eric Dickerson Traded To Colts | https://espn1420.com/halloween-1987-eric...m=referral

Among the high picks in that 1988 draft, the Rams took Aaron Cox in the first and Flipper Anderson in the second.  While they hit on Anderson, they botched so many of those picks, they wound up being one of the very worst teams in football by 1992.

But WR early or not, extra picks or not, the lesson remains the same:  Scout properly, set your board up properly, and draft well.  Get the picks right.
(04-13-2020, 11:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

Let me preface by saying I do not believe the Jaguars will go for a WR at 9.  It is not the most dire need on the team, as we have a decent WR in Chark already.  Secondly, this is a very deep WR draft class, and I've consistently heard you could find second round talent at WR as late as the 4th round.  History has shown Caldwell tends to take WRs in the 2nd round and later, especially in deep WR classes.  He took Marquise Lee and A-Rob in the second round in 2014 and Chark at the bottom of the second round in 2018.

The 1970s Steelers were known for their defensive dominance and trap centered running attack.  But they took more receivers (2 Frank Lewis and Lynn Swann in the first round between 1969 (Chuck Noll's first year) and 1979 than offensive linemen (0).  The Steeler emphasized skill position players during that time and won four Super Bowls.

The 1980s saw the 49ers win the title of team of the decade.  They took as many WRs in the first round (1) between 1979 (Bill Walsh's first year) and 1989 as offensive linemen (1).  That WR was Jerry Rice.  While their first round lineman (Harris Barton) was a good pick, he was not as important to the 49ers success as Jerry Rice.

The team of the 1990s was Dallas, who was bolstered by the Herschel Walker and Steve Walsh trades.  But as bad as Jimmy Jonson's first team in Dallas was, and as comprehensive a rebuild as was necessary, it should be noted the overwhelming majority of his early picks were skill position players.  Between the 1990-1993 drafts that featured the Cowboys having multiple picks in the first three rounds in each of the drafts between 1990 and 1992, Johnson spent ZERO first round picks on offensive linemen, one first round pick on WRs (Alvin Harper) and three second round picks on WR (Alexander Wright, Jimmy Smith-yes THAT one- and Kevin Williams).  Furthermore, the year before Johnson arrived, Dallas drafted WR Michael Irvin 11th overall-not too far from the 9 spot we currently own.

Now I don't think anyone will ever have the three year draft capital haul that Dallas had during that time.  The next two drafts may be the closest we may ever get to that.  But if we were to follow a precedent in building a championship team, that Dallas team is a good example to follow.

Of course, having the picks is no guarantee of draft success, even if you put the focus on playmakers.  The Rams were similarly stocked in high draft picks after the Eric Dickerson trade, with along with "six draft picks= three each from the Bills and Colts, including each teams’ first and second round picks in 1988."

Read More: Halloween, 1987: Eric Dickerson Traded To Colts | https://espn1420.com/halloween-1987-eric...m=referral

Among the high picks in that 1988 draft, the Rams took Aaron Cox in the first and Flipper Anderson in the second.  While they hit on Anderson, they botched so many of those picks, they wound up being one of the very worst teams in football by 1992.

But WR early or not, extra picks or not, the lesson remains the same:  Scout properly, set your board up properly, and draft well.  Get the picks right.
Nice analysis. I hope ? we can finally hit on a first round WR. Obviously If these guys aren’t truly elite prospects, than you don’t take them early, but it seems like there are 2-3 guys worthy of an early pick. I was thinking Jeudy might be the best pick for us, given he is a polished route runner that seems like he would be an excellent complement to Chark.
The last team to draft a QB in the top 10 and have that player play for their SB winning team was the Ravens (Travis Taylor drafted in 2000).

Arizona and Atlanta came close with Fitzgerald and J. Jones.
(04-13-2020, 11:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

This could really be summed up by the ability of the player bring drafted is more important than how much you think you need to fill a specific depth chart position, which really should go without saying, yet somehow year after year we see GMs take lesser players to fill out the depth chart and message board posters proclaim that fine and normal and just how things work.
I'm not completely adverse to a WR in the first round this year. Not the worst logic in the world.
But - positional value and the depth of players at WR and OT in this particular class point to finding good WR value in the third or even fourth round. Good receivers will fall due to the number of starter-level prospects.

The greatest argument for focusing on the O-Line early is simply rewatching last year's O-Line.
Minshew and Foles were forced out of the pocket early and often and I believe it had a greater negative impact on the passing game than any lack of talent at the wide receiver position.
(04-14-2020, 07:44 AM)Newton Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-13-2020, 11:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Let me preface by saying I do not believe the Jaguars will go for a WR at 9.  It is not the most dire need on the team, as we have a decent WR in Chark already.  Secondly, this is a very deep WR draft class, and I've consistently heard you could find second round talent at WR as late as the 4th round.  History has shown Caldwell tends to take WRs in the 2nd round and later, especially in deep WR classes.  He took Marquise Lee and A-Rob in the second round in 2014 and Chark at the bottom of the second round in 2018.

Nice analysis. I hope ? we can finally hit on a first round WR. Obviously If these guys aren’t truly elite prospects, than you don’t take them early, but it seems like there are 2-3 guys worthy of an early pick. I was thinking Jeudy might be the best pick for us, given he is a polished route runner that seems like he would be an excellent complement to Chark.
No matter where we take a WR, I hope we hit big on them...but it's especially true if it is with a first round pick, because missing on a player in the first can set your team back years even without the insane rookie contracts of years gone by.  Gad we hit on Soward, we would not have needed to try to address the position with Reggie Williams and Matt Jones.  Had we not missed on Blackmon (character not talent), we may not have had to spend 2nd round picks on Lee, ARob and Chark, and maybe we aren't discussing taking a WR at 9 now.  But the analysis is largely the same for any position.  If Taven Bryan were a dominating player, the need to draft a guy like Derrick Brown or Kinlaw would not be so strong.  I won't even get into our chase for a franchise QB.
(04-14-2020, 08:45 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]The last team to draft a QB WR in the top 10 and have that player play for their SB winning team was the Ravens (Travis Taylor drafted in 2000).

Arizona and Atlanta came close with Fitzgerald and J. Jones.

FIFY

I never gave that any thought but at face value that sounds right.  Running back through it now, that seems correct.

That said, plenty of teams have won Super Bowls with receivers taken in the first round but outside of the top ten.  I mean I don't think the difference between Dallas winning 3 Super Bowls in the 1990s was them drafting Irvin at 11 as opposed to drafting him at 9, not was Julio Jones being drafted in the top ten the cause of Atlanta's monumental collapse.

Most teams who contend for Super Bowls tend not to draft in the top ten when they are ready to contend, which would generally preclude them from taking WRs there.

It goes back to my closing line above.  Scout accurately, build your board accurately based on the accurate scouting, draft well.
(04-14-2020, 09:18 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-13-2020, 11:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Let me preface by saying I do not believe the Jaguars will go for a WR at 9.  It is not the most dire need on the team, as we have a decent WR in Chark already.  Secondly, this is a very deep WR draft class, and I've consistently heard you could find second round talent at WR as late as the 4th round.  History has shown Caldwell tends to take WRs in the 2nd round and later, especially in deep WR classes.  He took Marquise Lee and A-Rob in the second round in 2014 and Chark at the bottom of the second round in 2018.

This could really be summed up by the ability of the player bring drafted is more important than how much you think you need to fill a specific depth chart position, which really should go without saying, yet somehow year after year we see GMs take lesser players to fill out the depth chart and message board posters proclaim that fine and normal and just how things work.
But that presumes a drafted player that fits a need can't be BPA, and that any lesser player chosen was a need pick, as opposed to a plain misevaluation of talent in a misguided effort to draft BAP.

Eliminating need from the analysis can help clarify and purify the scouting and drafting process, but that alone does not guarantee a team that does this gets the pick right.
(04-14-2020, 09:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not completely adverse to a WR in the first round this year. Not the worst logic in the world.
But  - positional value and the depth of players at WR and OT in this particular class point to finding good WR value in the third or even fourth round.  Good receivers will fall due to the number of starter-level prospects.

The greatest argument for focusing on the O-Line early is simply rewatching last year's O-Line.
Minshew and Foles were forced out of the pocket early and often and I believe it had a greater negative impact on the passing game than any lack of talent at the wide receiver position.

Agreed completely on the depth of the WRs class should play a factor into when we draft the position.  I also agree that OL is a weakness and needs to be a priority.  I suppose part of my stance stems from the inclination of some to suggest that WR is not an important position, and should automatically be relegated to afterthought status in the draft as a general rule.  I've seen too many otherwise good teams fail to achieve greatness (Schottenheimer era Browns and Chiefs, Mora era Saints, Reid era Eagles) because they neglect the position using that thinking.
(04-13-2020, 10:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]There is no elite WR in this draft.  If Fitz, Megatron, AJ Green, Julio, Blackmon etc. was in this draft then you take him.  But there isnt.  Blackmon was an elite WR prospect he just had a drinking problem.

So where would you put guys like Tim Brown, Sterling Sharpe, Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison in this class?

I see where you are coming from-at least I think I do.  But if I'm right, your paradigm generally favors the bigger receiver as opposed to the smaller route runner who could create separation.
(04-13-2020, 11:00 PM)ColoJag Wrote: [ -> ]There's not 1 elite Wr in this draft, because there's multiple. Lamb, Juedy, and Ruggs are soo soo good and a couple of guys (Ayiuk/Laviska/Mims/Raegor) have potential to be elite.

I'm absolutely fine taking any of the 3 at 9

I am lower on Lamb than Jeudy and Ruggs.

I am a huge Aiyuk fan.  I have liked what I've seen from Mimis, but Baylor WRs of recent years have given me pause.  Shenault and Raegor are interesting.  I get the sense from reagor that despite his timed speed, he seems better at contested catches than he is gaining separation, but that may be more the result of poor QB play at TCU.
(04-14-2020, 09:18 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

We see this because it is indeed the reality of how the NFL draft is strategized by general managers. 
Players of similar but lesser grades that fill a need are chosen ahead of slightly higher rated players that don't fill a need. It's common sense.  The trick is not to reach too far in that disparity in grade. Sometimes GMs do just that and that's where they go wrong. 

Taking a sure thing DT you grade at 92.5 over a receiver you grade at 94 when there are 10 receivers available at your next pick that represent upgrade to your roster is not a reach.  And it's a completely normal value practice on draft day. 

(04-14-2020, 11:22 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-14-2020, 09:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not completely adverse to a WR in the first round this year. Not the worst logic in the world.
But  - positional value and the depth of players at WR and OT in this particular class point to finding good WR value in the third or even fourth round.  Good receivers will fall due to the number of starter-level prospects.

Agreed completely on the depth of the WRs class should play a factor into when we draft the position.  I also agree that OL is a weakness and needs to be a priority.  I suppose part of my stance stems from the inclination of some to suggest that WR is not an important position, and should automatically be relegated to afterthought status in the draft as a general rule.  I've seen too many otherwise good teams fail to achieve greatness (Schottenheimer era Browns and Chiefs, Mora era Saints, Reid era Eagles) because they  neglect the position using that thinking.

I'm with you. While I feel like waiting a bit on receiver in this particular draft may be the best value approach, I won't sit here and diminish the help another "Chark-level" guy would provide our offense.  They really aren't a dime-a-dozen and I don't hate using an early pick.  (like I did on the RB at #4 decision)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6