Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Isaiah Simmons - Slips to 9...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Do we take him? Caldwell seems to have this nack/luck for great talent slipping to him during recent drafts. 

If this 6'4" 4.3 40 time absolute freak of a SS/OLB talent slipped do we take him and could Wash actually be creative enough to make him work?

Of all the top picks projected I feel like this guy could be one that slips due to uncertainty of position. I'm of the belief it doesn't matter what position he technically starts in, you drop him into the box often and let him roam the field like Polemalu used to do and he's an all pro.

Thoughts?
I'm all for it. Outside of Young he is the best prospect in the draft
Pretty sure he'd play FS and they'd move him around alot. He's obviously very talented and versatile which just makes the coaches jobs easier and enables them to be more creative. If we suck this year wash will be gone anyways and the new DC would have a great chess piece
Yes, take Simmons. If he and Derek Brown are gone, then I assume we'd go with whichever DB is left between Okudah and CJ Henderson. I'd be happy with Simmons, Brown, Okudah, Henderson, or CeeDee Lamb.

I added CeeDee Lamb because we are in desperate need of speed on offense.
If hes there at 9 you dont think twice.
yeah this roster isn't good enough to pass on that talent
Unless Brown or Okudah are there at 9, we grab him.  I think a 3-4 would best utilize the talents of Allen-Jack-Shoebert-Simmons.
(04-22-2020, 12:35 PM)JAGs Nation Wrote: [ -> ]Unless Brown or Okudah are there at 9, we grab him.  I think a 3-4 would best utilize the talents of Allen-Jack-Shoebert-Simmons.

If we take Simmons we should 100% base out of the 3-4.
(04-22-2020, 11:35 AM)ColoJag Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure he'd play FS and they'd move him around alot. He's obviously very talented and versatile which just makes the coaches jobs easier and enables them to be more creative. If we suck this year wash will be gone anyways and the new DC would have a great chess piece

Ehh... I'm almost positive that's where he WON'T be playing, ever. So you're saying the enforcer/tackling player that's almost the size of a linebacker should be the coverage safety dropping back? Alrighty then... 

Good to see everyone agrees with taking him though. I have no idea if he'll slip, but stranger things have definitely happened before and probably can't put into words how much I hope that happens. I'll be giddy like a little kid if we actually get him.

What do you guys think about trading up for him if he falls to like 6 or 7 and he's just sitting there for the trade up? Do we do it?
100% yes. He's my #3 ranked player for us behind Young & Okudah.

Just look at Josh Allen last year. DE wasn't our biggest need at the time, and when he slipped, it worked out amazing for us. Who knows how the lineup will shake out next year, so it's a good idea to take BAP and just hope for the best.
No, you take O-line and get with the program of having an offense.
Do I take him? Yes. Do I think Wash would know what to do with him beyond, "Durrrrrr...linebacker run into center!"? No.
(04-22-2020, 01:05 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]No, you take O-line and get with the program of having an offense.

This. Simmons is a rare, exciting athlete for his position, but Thomas or Wirfs are also blue chippers in their own right. Wirfs is uber athletic with high upside, and Thomas is the prototypical left tackle prospect. Few weaknesses. Dave would be wise to factor in Wash's vanilla scheme and lack of creativity. If there's a tie in the rankings, favor the side of the ball with the coordinator who can do less damage to a player's development. 

The plug and play ability of Thomas, in particular, would solve potentially two positions by moving Cam to compete at guard and bolstering depth as swing tackle. Taking Thomas/Wirfs would go a long way toward solidifying the line.
(04-22-2020, 01:00 PM)High Octane Wrote: [ -> ]100% yes.  He's my #3 ranked player for us behind Young & Okudah.

Just look at Josh Allen last year. DE wasn't our biggest need at the time, and when he slipped, it worked out amazing for us. Who knows how the lineup will shake out next year, so it's a good idea to take BAP and just hope for the best.

I like Okudah as a corner alot. He'll probably be very solid almost immediately wherever he goes and could end up a top corner in the league. I'd be perfectly happy with him if it works out that way. 

Simmons is like a create a player from a video game. He's fast enough and long enough that he could basically lock down any RB or TE in coverage, can blitz on any given play and can drop back as an extra zone in coverage unexpectedly on any play.

I personally think Simmons would give the defense that extra presence that the other team is watching out for all game, because they never know what he's going to be doing. 

I just hope Caldwell pulls off something nice.
(04-22-2020, 01:09 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]Do I take him? Yes. Do I think Wash would know what to do with him beyond, "Durrrrrr...linebacker run into center!"? No.
-1 keyboard
(04-22-2020, 11:25 AM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: [ -> ]Do we take him? Caldwell seems to have this nack/luck for great talent slipping to him during recent drafts. 

If this 6'4" 4.3 40 time absolute freak of a SS/OLB talent slipped do we take him and could Wash actually be creative enough to make him work?

Of all the top picks projected I feel like this guy could be one that slips due to uncertainty of position. I'm of the belief it doesn't matter what position he technically starts in, you drop him into the box often and let him roam the field like Polemalu used to do and he's an all pro.

Thoughts?

Before I turn the card in, I answer every call coming in.

Giving Scho big money last month and already having Jack making bank really puts Simmons in an odd place. Do you play him at safety for a few years while Jack plays out his cap hit, or do we take another uppercut to the wallet and admit yet one more error in who we've paid recently?

If I can trade down a few spots and net another second and/or a first next year, I probably take that deal.
A linebacker at 9 is as dumb as LF27 at #4. C'mon now, the last thing we need is another weakside linebacker.
(04-22-2020, 03:04 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]A linebacker at 9 is as dumb as LF27 at #4. C'mon now, the last thing we need is another weakside linebacker.

He'd play safety/big nickel/overhang and then one of the 3 LBs in base
Take him and don’t look back. If Wash doesn’t know how to use him, he’ll be gone anyway come this time next year.
(04-22-2020, 03:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-22-2020, 03:04 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]A linebacker at 9 is as dumb as LF27 at #4. C'mon now, the last thing we need is another weakside linebacker.

He'd play safety/big nickel/overhang and then one of the 3 LBs in base

Any of those positions by themselves would still be as dumb as LF27 at #4. Nickel back? Strong safety? Weakside linebacker? Ha! Especially compared to being able to draft a blue-chip LT prospect.
Pages: 1 2 3 4