Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Luton impressions after Texans game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I've seen enough from Luton today. He is much better than Minshew. For a kid to come in with only 4 practices as a starter under his belt and keep us in this game, shows me a lot. He definitely has a stronger arm than Minshew. That is obvious. He avoids the pass rush much better than Minshew and he just throws a better looking pass than Minshew. He did make some mistakes, as any rookie would, but to be thrown in as the starter with 4 practices with the first team, I liked what I saw. Does this mean he's a franchise QB? Of course not, but he certainly deserves to be the starter from here on out. In fact, if he isn't, I'm done watching the Jaguars this season. I wanna see more of what this kid can do as he gets more reps with the first team.
(11-08-2020, 05:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen enough from Luton today. He is much better than Minshew. For a kid to come in with only 4 practices as a starter under his belt and keep us in this game, shows me a lot. He definitely has a stronger arm than Minshew. That is obvious. He avoids the pass rush much better than Minshew and he just throws a better looking pass than Minshew. He did make some mistakes, as any rookie would, but to be thrown in as the starter with 4 practices with the first team, I liked what I saw. Does this mean he's a franchise QB? Of course not, but he certainly deserves to be the starter from here on out. In fact, if he isn't, I'm done watching the Jaguars this season. I wanna see more of what this kid can do as he gets more reps with the first team.

There is definitely a difference between him and Minshew and he seems kinda electric. I Liked what I saw overall.
Jesus can we stay grounded for once. If the Houston D wouldnt have butterfingers like they did today, Luton could have gotten intercepted 3+ times. He had a solid game for a kid with little prep time, but he made plenty of mistakes. Lets see how he does next week.
Luton is very sensitive to pressure and it causes him throw too quickly and recklessly. Can that be worked out of him? We'll see in the next couple of games.
(11-08-2020, 05:23 PM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: [ -> ]Jesus can we stay grounded for once. If the Houston D wouldnt have butterfingers like they did today, Luton could have gotten intercepted 3+ times. He had a solid game for a kid with little prep time, but he made plenty of mistakes. Lets see how he does next week.

Did I say he was perfect? Of course not! I said he looked pretty good for a guy with 4 practices under his belt. He deserves to be the starter from here on out though. We know what we have with Minshew. Now, lets see what we have in Luton. Calm down. You basically repeated what I wrote.
(11-08-2020, 05:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Luton is very sensitive to pressure and it causes him throw too quickly and recklessly. Can that be worked out of him? We'll see in the next couple of games.
I wonder if that is coaching because Minshew has been doing it also since his hand got hurt in week 3 or 4.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
(11-08-2020, 05:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Luton is very sensitive to pressure and it causes him throw too quickly and recklessly. Can that be worked out of him? We'll see in the next couple of games.

I hope so. It's a very different reaction than Minshew gives though which is basically holding the ball forever and giving up sacks. To me, that tells me Luton has a lot more confidence in his arm than Minshew does. That's a good thing, but he just learns to be more disciplined. Hopefully, he can reign it in a little.

(11-08-2020, 05:29 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]
I wonder if that is coaching because Minshew has been doing it also since his hand got hurt in week 3 or 4.

Minshew just freezes up and takes unnecessary sacks, because he holds the ball too long.
Fields please
(11-08-2020, 05:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2020, 05:23 PM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: [ -> ]Jesus can we stay grounded for once. If the Houston D wouldnt have butterfingers like they did today, Luton could have gotten intercepted 3+ times. He had a solid game for a kid with little prep time, but he made plenty of mistakes. Lets see how he does next week.

Did I say he was perfect? Of course not! I said he looked pretty good for a guy with 4 practices under his belt. He deserves to be the starter from here on out though. We know what we have with Minshew. Now, lets see what we have in Luton. Calm down. You basically repeated what I wrote.

I know but you also say "he is better than Minshew" after one game. Not that I care much, Im rooting for next Seasons QB and I don't mind if we get a high pick with Minshew or Luton under center.
But like I said, if things go a little bit better for the Houston D, he gets intercepted 3 times or more. If the Houston D holds on to those very catchable balls, I doubt you write what you wrote about him being better than Minshew. Its a fine margin and I agree that we need much more time to assess Luton, but me personally, Im done hyping guys before we see them for more than 5 games. What I will say is that Luton did enough today to warrant watching the Jags play next week (and be a little more excited about it). But that's about it.
I want to see more, but if we draft a QB, I'd be totally fine with Minshew and Luton as #2 and 3 based off that
(11-08-2020, 05:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]

I hope so. It's a very different reaction than Minshew gives though which is basically holding the ball forever and giving up sacks. To me, that tells me Luton has a lot more confidence in his arm than Minshew does. That's a good thing, but he just learns to be more disciplined. Hopefully, he can reign it in a little.

(11-08-2020, 05:29 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if that is coaching because Minshew has been doing it also since his hand got hurt in week 3 or 4.

Minshew just freezes up and takes unnecessary sacks, because he holds the ball too long.

Minshew gets squirrely when he's injured. He did the same thing last year.

Neither one of these guys are the answer. We're still in our perpetual QB hunt.
(11-08-2020, 05:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]

(11-08-2020, 05:29 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if that is coaching because Minshew has been doing it also since his hand got hurt in week 3 or 4.

Not in the last few games, he has thrown the ball immediately after seeing the pressure. He floated the ball to try and give the WR a chance.

It appears to me that the coaches are saying if you see pressure, get rid of the ball.

To be determined... Loved the way he put on and finished that last drive.
The fact that he peppered our best receiver repeatedly and didn't force two dozen targets to Cole and Conley was enough for me to give him the job the rest of the year.
(11-08-2020, 05:36 PM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2020, 05:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Did I say he was perfect? Of course not! I said he looked pretty good for a guy with 4 practices under his belt. He deserves to be the starter from here on out though. We know what we have with Minshew. Now, lets see what we have in Luton. Calm down. You basically repeated what I wrote.

I know but you also say "he is better than Minshew" after one game. Not that I care much, Im rooting for next Seasons QB and I don't mind if we get a high pick with Minshew or Luton under center.
But like I said, if things go a little bit better for the Houston D, he gets intercepted 3 times or more. If the Houston D holds on to those very catchable balls, I doubt you write what you wrote about him being better than Minshew. Its a fine margin and I agree that we need much more time to assess Luton, but me personally, Im done hyping guys before we see them for more than 5 games. What I will say is that Luton did enough today to warrant watching the Jags play next week (and be a little more excited about it). But that's about it.

Can you deny he has a stronger arm? Can you deny he gets the ball out of his hands much faster? Can you deny that he reads the blitzes much quicker? I didn't say he was much better than Minshew, because Luton looked like a superstar. He looked much better than Minshew, because the bar wasn't that high. At least I see some potential in Luton to get much better. Minshew has completely plateaued. He is what he is.
I like what I seen from Luton, but as of now I still hope we are able to get Trask if we miss on Lawrence
(11-08-2020, 05:37 PM)newporttom Wrote: [ -> ]I want to see more, but if we draft a QB, I'd be totally fine with Minshew and Luton as #2 and 3 based off that

Not me. After one game, I see more potential in Luton than I've seen in Minshew since he got here. Luton should be starting for the rest of the year to see how much he can progress.

(11-08-2020, 05:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2020, 05:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I hope so. It's a very different reaction than Minshew gives though which is basically holding the ball forever and giving up sacks. To me, that tells me Luton has a lot more confidence in his arm than Minshew does. That's a good thing, but he just learns to be more disciplined. Hopefully, he can reign it in a little.

Minshew gets squirrely when he's injured. He did the same thing last year.

Neither one of these guys are the answer. We're still in our perpetual QB hunt.

Absolutely. Minshew is not the answer and with Luton, it's way too early to tell. He's a 6th round pick, so we basically have nothing invested in him. We still need a franchise QB. This game didn't change that at all.

(11-08-2020, 05:41 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2020, 05:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I hope so. It's a very different reaction than Minshew gives though which is basically holding the ball forever and giving up sacks. To me, that tells me Luton has a lot more confidence in his arm than Minshew does. That's a good thing, but he just learns to be more disciplined. Hopefully, he can reign it in a little.

Not in the last few games, he has thrown the ball immediately after seeing the pressure. He floated the ball to try and give the WR a chance.

It appears to me that the coaches are saying if you see pressure, get rid of the ball.

That's not what I've been seeing.

(11-08-2020, 05:48 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]The fact that he peppered our best receiver repeatedly and didn't force two dozen targets to Cole and Conley was enough for me to give him the job the rest of the year.

Agreed.
Well he's very raw as you'd expect but you can't argue with the highlight reel moments at the start and end of the game.
(11-08-2020, 05:48 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]The fact that he peppered our best receiver repeatedly and didn't force two dozen targets to Cole and Conley was enough for me to give him the job the rest of the year.

I agree!
(11-08-2020, 05:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I like what I seen from Luton, but as of now I still hope we are able to get Trask if we miss on Lawrence

Me too. If Luton turns out to be good, we've doubled our chances to find a franchise QB. I'd rather have 2 franchise QB's than what we've had since Brunell left, (none at all.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6