Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Defensive Scheme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Can someone help me better understand the Jags defensive scheme?  We play an odd version (Otto/Leo/blah blah) 4-3 D but use the SS as a "box safety."  So, isn't that essentially a 4-4 D with 2 CBs and a single high safety?  And if so, how does every team eat us up underneath (or really every where)?

No pressure usually, we don't have Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman either. Cyprien is our Kam Chancellor (LOL) so we can't lay hits or create turnovers. TEAMS AVOID HIS SIDE. Teams target that side for us. We don't have Bobby Wagner or KJ Wright, or Michael Bennett. Wait, we do, but the bad one. We have slow Poz and Skuta trying to keep up with slot receivers. Telvin took out Woodhead, Jack needed to be on the field with him. Speed kills. Fact.
the LEO and all that jazz

They are failing in trying to create a scheme using our players; instead of using our players to make a scheme. We don't have the personnel for the scheme they want; even though we've drafted and pulled FA's for this scheme....... (Caldwell might be at fault for this too).

In my opinion, they are trying to be too cute with the scheme and names of positions. They need to get back to football. Plain and simple....
Quote:They are failing in trying to create a scheme using our players; instead of using our players to make a scheme. We don't have the personnel for the scheme they want; even though we've drafted and pulled FA's for this scheme....... (Caldwell might be at fault for this too).

In my opinion, they are trying to be too cute with the scheme and names of positions. They need to get back to football. Plain and simple....

This
The scheme could work if we could get a time machine and brig back some of the Jaguars greats.

LEO - Tony Brackens

3T - Marcus Stroud

NT - John Henderson

5T - Gary Walker

OLB - Darly Smith/Telvin Smith

MLB - Mike Peterson

OTTO - Kevin Hardy

CB1 - Rashean Mathis

FS - Deon Grant/Tashaun Gipson

SS - Donovin Darius

CB2 - Jalen Ramsey

NB - Aaron Beasley

We are close, guys.

Some guys are just too fast to play it how Bradley and Co want it

Quote:No pressure usually, we don't have Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman either. Cyprien is our Kam Chancellor (LOL) so we can't lay hits or create turnovers. TEAMS AVOID HIS SIDE. Teams target that side for us. We don't have Bobby Wagner or KJ Wright, or Michael Bennett. Wait, we do, but the bad one. We have slow Poz and Skuta trying to keep up with slot receivers. Telvin took out Woodhead, Jack needed to be on the field with him. Speed kills. Fact.

To add to this probably the biggest thing about Seatles defense that makes it good is all of those Lbers can fly.  Every single one of them and they make up for a lot of holes in the defense with that.  In our version only 1/3 of our LBers can fly.  Which is why we need Jack on the field.  I'm alright with Poz but only in base and only if Jack and Smith are to his sides.  

I will add in my first thing I would have done in game preparation last week would be to tell Ramsey he has Benjamin duties all day 1on1 and play the zone around that.
I still believe it's more lack of execution, poor discipline and bad communication than scheme, but the scheme leaves plenty to be desired too IMO. 

Scheme issues:

The underneath zone is too easy to pick apart by the smarter QBs.

The outside CBs are left on an island when there's no pressure and there hasn't been enough pressure, so House is getting worked. 

Running this scheme seems to require having two playmakers at safety.  No evidence of that in Jax yet, so.....

Player/coaching issues:

Bad communication pre-snap

busted coverages - undefended receivers, TEs and RBs

Failure to bump or re-route/detour  receivers before releasing them into zone coverage

Not getting home with the pass rush or getting pressure fast enough to affect the play

Craptastic tackling in the open field 

EDIT:  Important to note that this scheme does seem to be easy to dice up for the better QBs.  Most of the team's wins have come against bad QBs.

Defensive scheme: Don't worry about those crossing routes. They probably won't run too many of them.
Quote:Can someone help me better understand the Jags defensive scheme?  We play an odd version (Otto/Leo/blah blah) 4-3 D but use the SS as a "box safety."  So, isn't that essentially a 4-4 D with 2 CBs and a single high safety?  And if so, how does every team eat us up underneath (or really every where)?

SEATTLE SOUTH !!!   Put our slow old LB on the fastest WR they have.

In Gus We Trust !!
Quote:No pressure usually, we don't have Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman either. Cyprien is our Kam Chancellor (LOL) so we can't lay hits or create turnovers. TEAMS AVOID HIS SIDE. Teams target that side for us. We don't have Bobby Wagner or KJ Wright, or Michael Bennett. Wait, we do, but the bad one. We have slow Poz and Skuta trying to keep up with slot receivers. Telvin took out Woodhead, Jack needed to be on the field with him. Speed kills. Fact.

Worse yet, Gus Bradley is our Pete Carroll.
All I know is the otto is the most important position in football and Dan Skuta is the best in the league at playing it and thats why he is out there

I talked to a hardcore steelers fan today and said that our coaches don't know how to use our players. He said we have the talent but the players are not being put in the right positions to succeed. That's offense and defense. I think they need to find a way to put jack in and find ways to get Allen Robinson involved more. Throwing a rob the deep ball isn't going to work because there's safety help. So throw slants,in and out routes to him.
Quote:The scheme could work if we could get a time machine and brig back some of the Jaguars greats.

LEO - Tony Brackens

3T - Marcus Stroud

NT - John Henderson

5T - Gary Walker

OLB - Darly Smith/Telvin Smith

MLB - Mike Peterson

OTTO - Kevin Hardy

CB1 - Rashean Mathis

FS - Deon Grant/Tashaun Gipson

SS - Donovin Darius

CB2 - Jalen Ramsey

NB - Aaron Beasley

We are close, guys.

Lol at Gipson
P.s I like that they use corey grant in the flat for a td. His speed after the catch killed them for a td
It's the scheme that allows you to get away with being beyond and below the word mediocre through fifty professional NFL games. That's the scheme. Bradley is going to be fired this season. And he's going to walk out of here like Kevin Spacey did at the of the Usual Suspects. He's that good. He's fooled the front office apparently. It's amazing. He'll end up coaching the defensive backs in Houston next year or fade out into obscurity in the NCAA somewhere.

Quote:It's the scheme that allows you to get away with being beyond and below the word mediocre through fifty professional NFL games. That's the scheme. Bradley is going to be fired this season. And he's going to walk out of here like Kevin Spacey did at the of the Usual Suspects. He's that good. He's fooled the front office apparently. It's amazing. He'll end up coaching the defensive backs in Houston next year or fade out into obscurity in the NCAA somewhere.

[Image: ndsulogopng-aec1c1d4c20bfcd0.png]
Quote:I still believe it's more lack of execution, poor discipline and bad communication than scheme, but the scheme leaves plenty to be desired too IMO. 

Scheme issues:

The underneath zone is too easy to pick apart by the smarter QBs.

The outside CBs are left on an island when there's no pressure and there hasn't been enough pressure, so House is getting worked. 

Running this scheme seems to require having two playmakers at safety.  No evidence of that in Jax yet, so.....

Player/coaching issues:

Bad communication pre-snap

busted coverages - undefended receivers, TEs and RBs

Failure to bump or re-route/detour  receivers before releasing them into zone coverage

Not getting home with the pass rush or getting pressure fast enough to affect the play

Craptastic tackling in the open field 

EDIT:  Important to note that this scheme does seem to be easy to dice up for the better QBs.  Most of the team's wins have come against bad QBs.

Thing is, mostly everyone is blaming the scheme. Simple fact is...we don't run this scheme 100% the entire game. In general, this hybrid 4-3/3-4 scheme is supposed to make it difficult to beat downfield (two corners and one safety each getting a third of the field). That's 3 of 11 players.

Most of the time, we rush 4. This should, essentially give us four players to cover the underneath (3 LBs and the SS). Schematically, its fine. There's protection for deep throws and enough guys to cover underneath. The problem has been with execution. One is we don't get enough pass rush from the front four, so it gives the QB more time to find holes in the defense (and there will be holes, which is true for any defense). When we have to send a 5th person to blitz, we usually don't hit home. Which means there's less players to cover the underneath (this becomes a bigger problem then).

From the first two games, there's been a couple of problems IMO. 

There's miscommunication in coverage. I don't know if its Poz, Skuta, Cyp, or Gipson. But almost all of the big play/TD that was posted on the site so far, there's always that one player (sometimes two) where we look at it and ask "Well, what is he doing here?" Something just doesn't look right if you look at where everyone is lined up and what/who they are covering. Blown coverages.

There's also another problem which I think has been kind of quietly overlooked given the other issues: 

I don't think Senn is playing all that well. I think teams have been able to double Malik, and leave Senn (or whoever is lined up at DT) and the two young DEs one-on-one. I don't think we've been able to collapse the pocket from the inside much.

This is all coming from me watching the game and without the benefit of All-22. But from what I'm seeing, other than Roy on obvious run-downs inside, I think that spot has been a problem the past two games.
Quote:Thing is, mostly everyone is blaming the scheme. Simple fact is...we don't run this scheme 100% the entire game. In general, this hybrid 4-3/3-4 scheme is supposed to make it difficult to beat downfield (two corners and one safety each getting a third of the field). That's 3 of 11 players.

Most of the time, we rush 4. This should, essentially give us four players to cover the underneath (3 LBs and the SS). Schematically, its fine. There's protection for deep throws and enough guys to cover underneath. The problem has been with execution. One is we don't get enough pass rush from the front four, so it gives the QB more time to find holes in the defense (and there will be holes, which is true for any defense). When we have to send a 5th person to blitz, we usually don't hit home. Which means there's less players to cover the underneath (this becomes a bigger problem then).

From the first two games, there's been a couple of problems IMO.

There's miscommunication in coverage. I don't know if its Poz, Skuta, Cyp, or Gipson. But almost all of the big play/TD that was posted on the site so far, there's always that one player (sometimes two) where we look at it and ask "Well, what is he doing here?" Something just doesn't look right if you look at where everyone is lined up and what/who they are covering. Blown coverages.

There's also another problem which I think has been kind of quietly overlooked given the other issues:

I don't think Senn is playing all that well. I think teams have been able to double Malik, and leave Senn (or whoever is lined up at DT) and the two young DEs one-on-one. I don't think we've been able to collapse the pocket from the inside much.

This is all coming from me watching the game and without the benefit of All-22. But from what I'm seeing, other than Roy on obvious run-downs inside, I think that spot has been a problem the past two games.

Its a scheme that every team in the league knows how to beat fairly easily. Its probably the simplest scheme in the NFL , its effective in Seattle because they have multiple all pros at a few spots. While yes the execution isn't there , the players are being put in bad spots due to the scheme.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5