Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blaine Gabbert vs Trevor Lawrence Rookie Seasons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Blaine Garbage: 50.8% CMP - 2,214 Yards - 12 TD 11 INT - 5.4 Y/A - Sacked 40 times (14 Games starting)
Trevor Lawrence: 58.0% CMP - 2,369 Yards - 9 TD 10 INT - 6.0 Y/A - Sacked 20 times (11 Games starting)

I'd say a fairly equal offense they played in, Horrible O line, Good RB, Average T.E play. And as bad as the 2021 WR core is, the 2011 WR core was a lot worse IMO. Not a single guy whether it be Mike Thomas/Mike Sims-Walker etc would be above anyone on our depth chart. 

I would say the OL was worse considering the amount of sacks but Gabberts ability to sack himself combined with playing JJ Watt twice a year skews it in my opinion. 

Thoughts?

Edit: I'd like to add how amazed I am that Gabbert in 3 more games somehow has less passing yards than Lawrence who seems to have 130-160 every week. I forgot how completely innept he was in that department lmao.
Trevor Lawrence is a HUGE bust... same as Blaine Gabbert. We get it.

Is that what we're supposed to say here?
Thought: MJD was a bad mammajamma. That team had absolutely nothing going for it and we still won 5 games. JRob is a good back, but cripes I would love to have an MJD on this roster. I still doubt we'd ever use him sensibly, though.

That receiving corps might have been worse than the current receivers, but they were playing against 8-men in the box every down. I doubt that's currently the case.
(11-30-2021, 02:57 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Blaine Garbage: 50.8% CMP - 2,214 Yards - 12 TD 11 INT - 5.4 Y/A - Sacked 40 times (14 Games starting)
Trevor Lawrence: 58.0% CMP - 2,369 Yards - 9 TD 10 INT - 6.0 Y/A - Sacked 20 times (11 Games starting)

I'd say a fairly equal offense they played in, Horrible O line, Good RB, Average T.E play. And as bad as the 2021 WR core is, the 2011 WR core was a lot worse IMO. Not a single guy whether it be Mike Thomas/Mike Sims-Walker etc would be above anyone on our depth chart. 

I would say the OL was worse considering the amount of sacks but Gabberts ability to sack himself combined with playing JJ Watt twice a year skews it in my opinion. 

Thoughts?

Edit: I'd like to add how amazed I am that Gabbert in 3 more games somehow has less passing yards than Lawrence who seems to have 130-160 every week. I forgot how completely innept he was in that department lmao.

Statistics aside. Do you think Gabbert and Lawrence are in the same class as far as being a QB
(11-30-2021, 11:15 AM)Doc Holliday904 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2021, 02:57 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Blaine Garbage: 50.8% CMP - 2,214 Yards - 12 TD 11 INT - 5.4 Y/A - Sacked 40 times (14 Games starting)

Thoughts?

Statistics aside. Do you think Gabbert and Lawrence are in the same class as far as being a QB

Well, we've had several seasons to see Gabbert so it's easier to evaluate him in retrospect. Much less for Lawrence. From a purely athletic standpoint they probably are in the same ball park. I think ultimately Lawrence will be a good (but probably not great) solid starter for us for years but it's hard to make an argument that he's showing that right now.
(11-30-2021, 11:39 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2021, 11:15 AM)Doc Holliday904 Wrote: [ -> ]Statistics aside. Do you think Gabbert and Lawrence are in the same class as far as being a QB

Well, we've had several seasons to see Gabbert so it's easier to evaluate him in retrospect. Much less for Lawrence. From a purely athletic standpoint they probably are in the same ball park. I think ultimately Lawrence will be a good (but probably not great) solid starter for us for years but it's hard to make an argument that he's showing that right now.
And if the bolded is true then he will be a bust.
(11-30-2021, 11:44 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2021, 11:39 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]Well, we've had several seasons to see Gabbert so it's easier to evaluate him in retrospect. Much less for Lawrence. From a purely athletic standpoint they probably are in the same ball park. I think ultimately Lawrence will be a good (but probably not great) solid starter for us for years but it's hard to make an argument that he's showing that right now.
And if the bolded is true then he will be a bust.

It'll mean he was over-drafted and over-evaluated. But getting a solid, 10 year starter is not a bust. People make way too much of draft position. I've said over and over again, the draft is a crap shoot. You can get a Hall of Fame player in the 6th round and you can get a guy who bounces out of the league in a couple of years in the first. You just never know for sure.
When I hear see the name Blaine Gabbert, all I can think of is him crawling up in the fetal position at the first sign of the approaching pass rush. To this day, I have never seen any other player play so scared of being hit.
(11-30-2021, 11:39 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2021, 11:15 AM)Doc Holliday904 Wrote: [ -> ]Statistics aside. Do you think Gabbert and Lawrence are in the same class as far as being a QB

I don't know you very well but imma go out on a limb and say you know a little bit about football. Statistics aside Gabbert didn't look the part his rookie season. He looked shell shocked every snap. Lawrence has made plays and throws which would lead you to believe if we get this guy some actual weapons we'll be alright. So really my point in my first point was lets stop the comparisons from Lawrence to Gabbert
Is this because of the long blonde hair? That's really the only comparison I see between the two. Trevor is far better.
Blaine Gabbert did not have the balls to stay in the pocket, Trevor Lawrence does not have this issue and is developing into a team leader. The two players are totally different IMO. Trevor is one of the most composed rookie qb that I have ever seen. Can’t wait to watch TL develop. Enjoy the ride guys!
(11-30-2021, 01:28 PM)Jagulars Wrote: [ -> ]Is this because of the long blonde hair? That's really the only comparison I see between the two. Trevor is far better.

Well, Gabbert was more accurate with his throws at this point when he wasn't ducking for cover. Look Lawrence is going to be better, nobody really expects that not to be the case. But to say that Trevor is far better now than Gabbert has been in his career is mostly just a projection based on his potential. They actually do have some similarities. It's ok to admit it without assuming they're going to end up developing the same way.
(11-30-2021, 01:28 PM)Jagulars Wrote: [ -> ]Is this because of the long blonde hair? That's really the only comparison I see between the two. Trevor is far better.

That and Trevor not living up to his draft status so far.
(11-30-2021, 03:35 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]

Well, Gabbert was more accurate with his throws at this point when he wasn't ducking for cover. Look Lawrence is going to be better, nobody really expects that not to be the case. But to say that Trevor is far better now than Gabbert has been in his career is mostly just a projection based on his potential. They actually do have some similarities. It's ok to admit it without assuming they're going to end up developing the same way.

Some have not even thought about the possibility of Lawrence busting.  Agreed Blaine was probably more accurate than Lawrence is right now.  It's amazing that the 1st overall pick is missing receivers 5 yards away on a fairly routine basis.

I personally do not know if he will bust but nothing is guaranteed.  He has the Guts and He has the arm, many of come into the league with those same qualities and it wasn't enough.   I get the whole rookie excuse mulligan.  I like the Leadership, I like the Strong Arm, and I like the guts.   Accuracy and Decision making are the big question marks.  

After watching football for over 30 years I learned one big things when it comes to drafting QBs in the NFL:  Finding a good QB is like winning the lottery. That is why so few teams have a good one.  The Future is still open with Lawrence but the odds are stacked against him.  More often than not, Qb's bust in any round.  Just do a google search of first round QB bust over the last 25 years and it's going to be a very long list.  Many of these QB bust had the tools but for one reason or another most QB's drafted simply fail or backup status. Hell are best QB in franchise History was Mark Brunell and that seems like another life.  I hope Lawrence becomes the man but you have to be blind to not have your confidence faulter a bit in him.

Thoughts?

**Peyton Manning: 56.7% CMP - 3,739 Yards - 26 TD 28 INT - 6.5 Y/A - Sacked 22 times (16 Games starting)*** 
(11-30-2021, 12:13 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]When I hear see the name Blaine Gabbert, all I can think of is him crawling up in the fetal position at the first sign of the approaching pass rush.  To this day, I have never seen any other player play so scared of being hit.

Boom.  Exactly.  If people are comparing him to Gabbert they are blind or have a very short memory.  Gabbert had all the physical tools in the world.  His problem was between the ears.  He was a wuss.
(11-30-2021, 07:04 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2021, 12:13 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]When I hear see the name Blaine Gabbert, all I can think of is him crawling up in the fetal position at the first sign of the approaching pass rush.  To this day, I have never seen any other player play so scared of being hit.

Boom.  Exactly.  If people are comparing him to Gabbert they are blind or have a very short memory.  Gabbert had all the physical tools in the world.  His problem was between the ears.  He was a wuss.

This has become legendary but like a lot of legends, it's based mostly on a couple of instances that then got blown out of proportion. The reality is he did get happy feet because of the number of hits he took early on but was a pretty physically tough player. A bigger issue was his inconsistency reading defenses and getting confused, something that he and Lawrence have in common (so far). To his credit, Lawrence seems to be showing more mental toughness.
(11-30-2021, 07:39 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2021, 07:04 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]Boom.  Exactly.  If people are comparing him to Gabbert they are blind or have a very short memory.  Gabbert had all the physical tools in the world.  His problem was between the ears.  He was a wuss.

This has become legendary but like a lot of legends, it's based mostly on a couple of instances that then got blown out of proportion. The reality is he did get happy feet because of the number of hits he took early on but was a pretty physically tough player. A bigger issue was his inconsistency reading defenses and getting confused, something that he and Lawrence have in common (so far). To his credit, Lawrence seems to be showing more mental toughness.

Are you kidding me? Nothing got blown out of proportion. The guy always was worried about getting hit and hearing imaginary footsteps. I'll have to disagree of your assessment of his 'toughness'.
(11-30-2021, 03:43 AM)High Octane Wrote: [ -> ]Trevor Lawrence is a HUGE bust... same as Blaine Gabbert. We get it.

Is that what we're supposed to say here?

Not yet, no. BUT - it certainly does not look good for any of the top QBs from last year's draft (outside of Mac Jones). Even back in 2011, this league is a scoring league and when you have those stat lines, it's a yikes from me.
Dont forget about bortles!
Pages: 1 2 3 4