Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: *** Official Game Thread - Week 16 Jags @ jests ***
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Welcome one and all to our Once A Year Thursday Night Football Prime Time Extravaganza! Just a few days ago our heroes battled back against overwhelming odds to knock off the NFL's version of the Lakers and Yankees, America's Bandwagon, the dallas cowboys. Our coach schooled the other team with a plethora of play designs that help star quarterback Trevor Lawrence get the ball to his playmakers, and all told they went for over 500 yards of offense while throwing for 4 TDs. The biggest hero though was the secondary and safety Rayshawn Jenkins who sealed the game with a walk off Pick 6 in overtime leaving the cowboys fans searching for the next team for whom to cheer. 

Today's game takes us to the cold and wet confines of New Jersey where the new york jests team finds themselves both in the playoff hunt and quarterback purgatory. All Jaguars fans are grateful to running back Frank Gore whose most important contribution in a long a productive career was to power the jests to a win that cost them the opportunity to draft budding legend Trevor Lawrence. Instead the team selected BYU QB and noted Cougar Hunter Zach Wilson, and his performance on the grass has far exceeded his performance on the field. The Jaguars face a strong defensive test as 1st round pick Sauce Gardener has already shown a skillset that could produce an All Pro career and the rest of that unit looks to be emerging as a top defense in the League. While the defense is very good the jests offense just can't get on track after losing running back Breese Hall to injury earlier this year. The team traded for Jacksonville favorite James Robinson but he seems to have lost a step of his own after an Achilles injury last year and has been a weekly healthy scratch for over a month. The Jags will be without left tackle Cam Robinson who was lost to a knee injury and Foley Fatukasi who reinjured his ankle. Travon Walker will also not play as he continues to heal from his own ankle injury. 

Game time is 8:15pm
Weather is cold and rainy.
The game is to be shown locally on Fox and streamed for the national audience via Amazon.
[Image: giphy.gif?w=750&ssl=1]
Don't you just miss the honey mustard jerseys?

I'm kidding before the hate starts!!!

Let's go Jags, can take a BIG step tonight
(12-22-2022, 09:49 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: [ -> ]Don't you just miss the honey mustard jerseys?

I'm kidding before the hate starts!!!

Let's go Jags, can take a BIG step tonight

honey mustard? Those were baby food (post processing, inside a Huggies).

I wanna see our defense force a ton of turnovers and bury them so deep that they just stop trying to dig.
Crossing fingers and toes ETN keeps a firm grip on the ball.
Trevor too of course.

Can't wait to see this one unfold.
Doug broke out a lot of the dazzle dazzle he had up his sleeve last week. I hope he saved a few things up for tonight.
I am very concerned about the weather, which seems to favor the defense tonight. If it's windy, rainy, and cold, that could lead to a slog, and with the Jets having one of the best defenses in the NFL, advantage Jets.
(12-22-2022, 10:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I am very concerned about the weather, which seems to favor the defense tonight.  If it's windy, rainy, and cold, that could lead to a slog, and with the Jets having one of the best defenses in the NFL, advantage Jets.

Jets pass defense is quite good, and while their run defense is not bad - they have given up over 100 yards on the ground in 8 games this season. Several of those to teams ranked below the Jags in run performance. 

The Jags' 4.9 yds per carry average is  6th in the league right now and could have a profound effect on this game if properly utilized and executed.
(12-22-2022, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2022, 10:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I am very concerned about the weather, which seems to favor the defense tonight.  If it's windy, rainy, and cold, that could lead to a slog, and with the Jets having one of the best defenses in the NFL, advantage Jets.

Jets pass defense is quite good, and while their run defense is not bad - they have given up over 100 yards on the ground in 8 games this season. Several of those to teams ranked below the Jags in run performance. 

The Jags' 4.9 yds per carry average is  6th in the league right now and could have a profound effect on this game if properly utilized and executed.

They’ll probably still come out throwing.
(12-22-2022, 10:56 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2022, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Jets pass defense is quite good, and while their run defense is not bad - they have given up over 100 yards on the ground in 8 games this season. Several of those to teams ranked below the Jags in run performance. 

They’ll probably still come out throwing.

It's what Doug does. LOL

I can think of one game that he bucked that tendency, but yeah, good chance he lets TL sling it in the rain tonight. 

I'd be mad at him if his playbook wasn't so awesome and the team wasn't executing it so well. 

I still hope we see ETN with 24 touches and 180 APY tonight  - and a good mix of little gadgets to Hasty and Agnew that don't involve risky throws.
Is it just me or does it feel like when the jags become playoff contender/division winner hopefuls for a given season, the next game is the biggest game ever for the franchise?
Looking at the weather up there and dang. That does not look like a good time. Here in my area we're already experiencing the weather conditions they'll see at kickoff tonight.

Weather-wise I'm not optimistic but our team can go the distance if they're willing to suffer through it and fight for the win. I guess I can use TLaw's words from his presser when he said the next time they're down in points they know they can go out there and win because they did it in Baltimore.

They played in some nasty weather in Philly and didn't lose by much and Philly is a better team than the Jets. We have improved a great deal since that game so I have confidence in the guys to flex and win.
(12-22-2022, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

The only reason they're averaging such a high yards per carry is because they haven't been trying to run into run fronts, they've taken advantage of passing more on the tough carry situations.

If they have to run tonight because of the weather then I expect the ypc to be dramatically lower than 4.9.
Kyle Brady on Jaguars All Access last night said this weather does not affect the players physiologically, it’s all about staying mentally tough. This team is plenty motivated, I don’t see that being a problem.
(12-22-2022, 11:27 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Kyle Brady on Jaguars All Access last night said this weather does not affect the players physiologically, it’s all about staying mentally tough. This team is plenty motivated, I don’t see that being a problem.
Well I was just outside welcoming buses and I can assure you, I am mentally ready to watch this game on my couch. This weather is BRUTAL.
(12-22-2022, 11:27 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Kyle Brady on Jaguars All Access last night said this weather does not affect the players physiologically, it’s all about staying mentally tough. This team is plenty motivated, I don’t see that being a problem.

Good to know! 

Man, Kyle Brady is a blast from the past.
Today is the game that all lovers of football circled in the schedule when it came out.

Very few would have thought it had play off implications for both teams. A victory for the Jags will se us put even more pressure on the Tacks. I fully expect the weather to be as much of a problem as the other team. Let's hope Doug and his team has designed a good game plan for today.
(12-22-2022, 11:29 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
Well I was just outside welcoming buses and I can assure you, I am mentally ready to watch this game on my couch. This weather is BRUTAL.

For real. We're sitting at 47° but feels like 40° and dropping and it's raining hard and thundering. There's no way I could sit in that for several hours. I'm not even going out to the mailbox 50 feet away. That can wait. Lol.
(12-22-2022, 11:25 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2022, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Jets pass defense is quite good, and while their run defense is not bad - they have given up over 100 yards on the ground in 8 games this season. Several of those to teams ranked below the Jags in run performance. 

The only reason they're averaging such a high yards per carry is because they haven't been trying to run into run fronts, they've taken advantage of passing more on the tough carry situations.

If they have to run tonight because of the weather then I expect the ypc to be dramatically lower than 4.9.

Actually - they have a decent percentage of run fronts mixed in from 4 or 5 different contests this year. 

That number is not as skewed as you think it is. Might be skewed - but not as much as you let on. 

At least two opponents early in the season sold out to stop the run as they gambled on TL making mistakes if forced to pass.
Our backs ran into stacked boxes in those games.  
Two other contests have ended with ETN running into stacked boxes to chew clock while the Jags had a lead resulting in a large number of 1 or two yard gains added to his average. 

Also - we know darn well that Doug will keep them honest by throwing if they sell out vs the run. 
Hell - he may not even wait too see that happen before slinging it all over New Jersey.
(12-22-2022, 11:41 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2022, 11:25 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]The only reason they're averaging such a high yards per carry is because they haven't been trying to run into run fronts, they've taken advantage of passing more on the tough carry situations.

Actually - they have a decent percentage of run fronts mixed in from 4 or 5 different contests this year. 

That number is not as skewed as you think it is. Might be skewed - but not as much as you let on. 

At least two opponents early in the season sold out to stop the run as they gambled on TL making mistakes if forced to pass.
Our backs ran into stacked boxes in those games.  
Two other contests have ended with ETN running into stacked boxes to chew clock while the Jags had a lead resulting in a large number of 1 or two yard gains added to his average. 

Also - we know darn well that Doug will keep them honest by throwing if they sell out vs the run. 
Hell - he may not even wait too see that happen before slinging it all over New Jersey.

I just hope the Jaguars don't have a replay of the eagles game this evening. Trevor would have been fine if the rest of the team didn't fall apart. The Jaguars were a team that couldn't rise to the level of the quarterback's play that day.
(12-22-2022, 11:31 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: [ -> ]Today is the game that all lovers of football circled in the schedule when it came out.

Very few would have thought it had play off implications for both teams. A victory for the Jags will se us put even more pressure on the Tacks. I fully expect the weather to be as much of a problem as the other team. Let's hope Doug and his team has designed a good game plan for today.

Not really.  The Tacks can lose their next 2 games and still win the division if they beat us in week 18.  The pressure is on us.  We cannot afford to fall further behind.