Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Religion Section ever be allowed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I remember asking this question shortly after the political section opened up. I know that the board was almost shut down because of the political/religion section before (though I think this was before I joined). Anyways, in my opinion, it seems like everyone has done a pretty good job either moderating or self controlling themselves when discussing completely different points of views. Considering that we are in one of the most split times in our era, that is pretty good. Religion obviously plays a huge roll in politics and it can be very difficult to discuss differing opinions without religion being a part of the conversation. Also, I would enjoy discussing different opinions/view points on Religion with fellow Jaguars board members. I know I can do that elsewhere, but I don't really find myself going anywhere else and since most of us our Jaguar fans we all share a common bond no matter how different our views are. So my question is, will Religion be allowed at some point in the near future or is it never going to return? I think most of us thought Politics would never be allowed either so I'm assuming that would at least leave the door open to it. I don't know if making a poll is allowed or not, but would be curious to see what the board thinks.
I'll just say write this; I would probably treat a religion section on this board in a similar fashion to how I treat the politics section. That is, to hardly ever visit and to almost never post anything.

Religion is even more contentious to talk about then politics. I would say that's doubtful they allow it.  

I certainly hope not.
:devil:  I am OH fended by this here Debil face.

I also hope to never see a religion section.

No, for God's sake.
No.
Please no.

Why isn't religion allowed to be discussed? Don't think we need a section for it just wondering why its not allowed.
Politics change, there is a debate to be had. Religion on the other hand is a belief system, logic, reasoning, debates, none of it changes religion. so what's the point? You'd just have a religion bashing thread every day from different posters, and then believers defending their belief system for whatever reason. Is someone going to really convert over a message board?
Make the section..

I'll be good..
I think it has a lot more potential to upset a lot more people than politics ever could.  It'd eventually degenerate to flame wars.  Politics hasn't so far, but politics isn't quite as contentious.  And most people discuss current events at the water cooler on Monday.  

If you ask me, people seem to get more upset talking about politics than religion. And it seems like the political section has no more disputes/arguments then any other section. It's too bad, because there's quite a few topics that can't be talked about in its entirety due to the rule. A lot of political and science discussions can be limited due to the rule. But I understand why it's not allowed.
They should allow religious talk in the political board for a weekend to test it out Big Grin

Quote:Why isn't religion allowed to be discussed? Don't think we need a section for it just wondering why its not allowed.

It's kind of a "hot button" issue with some people.  In today's society in the U.S. people are easily "offended".  Some get "offended" by the mention of God, Allah, David, etc. or the "lack" of God, Allah, David, etc. being mentioned.  Some firmly believe that evolution is "the only" theory that should be taught, while others think that "creationism" should be taught.

The fact of the matter is, we as a society have become too "thin skinned" where we can't discuss certain issues without being "offended" by opposing points-of-view.  Some believe that there is only "God" or "Allah", etc. while others don't believe in any form of Higher Power.

I personally don't blame the owners of this message board from getting away from such a hot button issue.  It would be very difficult to moderate discussion of such a topic because the board is moderated by humans of all walks of life.  Some may follow certain religions that may have a clear bias against another religion, or may not practice a religion at all.  It would get to a point to where it's impossible to moderate discussion in a non-biased way.

Other topics that we can discuss range from drug use to politics, and in most cases there is a definitive answer.  As an example, I am not a user nor do I encourage the use of marijuana, but the use of it is freely discussed on this board.  That issue isn't as personal as religion, so it's a bit easier to moderate the discussion.  I can say that "I enjoyed smoking a fatty" and even though people might not use the drug, they know what exactly is being talked about.  Is that right?  Well, it's not for me to decide it's up to the owner(s) of the message board.

The bottom line is, some things should be discussed in a not-so-public venue.  I personally discuss politics in the political forum quite a bit, but it's the dead season.  The primary reason for this message board is Jaguars Football.
Quote:If you ask me, people seem to get more upset talking about politics than religion. And it seems like the political section has no more disputes/arguments then any other section. It's too bad, because there's quite a few topics that can't be talked about in its entirety due to the rule. A lot of political and science discussions can be limited due to the rule. But I understand why it's not allowed.

I agree with you, but when you give an inch....  Most of the "regulars" on the political forum would probably be alright, it's the "drive by" posters that show up on occasion.

Quote:They should allow religious talk in the political board for a weekend to test it out Big Grin

I would say that it probably aint gonna happen.
Lol well that seems to be a resounding no.

I understand points made about religion, but I disagree that things are cut and dry when it comes to belief and or the book you base your belief on. Which is why we have so many religions. In politics overall you pretty much have Repubs/Democrats and a few of the ones on the outskirts. Many stick behind the talking points and repeat them as if they were being paid by the party. In fact, religion is much more diverse than politics could ever hope to be and much more fascinating from a social and psychological impact. My intention wouldn't be (me personally as far as discussions go) to change someone's mind, but to understand, discuss and debate and get a different perspective on interpretations.

Eric, I do think discussion in any form can make people look at things differently. None of us have all the answers, even those who cling to a specific faith.

Any whoozies, I guess many aren't too fascinated with it. I don't think the poll is even necessary Smile. Nothing to see here...
Quote:Lol well that seems to be a resounding no.

I understand points made about religion, but I disagree that things are cut and dry when it comes to belief and or the book you base your belief on. Which is why we have so many religions. In politics overall you pretty much have Repubs/Democrats and a few of the ones on the outskirts. Many stick behind the talking points and repeat them as if they were being paid by the party. In fact, religion is much more diverse than politics could ever hope to be and much more fascinating from a social and psychological impact. My intention wouldn't be (me personally as far as discussions go) to change someone's mind, but to understand, discuss and debate and get a different perspective on interpretations.

Eric, I do think discussion in any form can make people look at things differently. None of us have all the answers, even those who cling to a specific faith.

Any whoozies, I guess many aren't too fascinated with it. I don't think the poll is even necessary Smile. Nothing to see here...

I can certainly agree with you there.  However, to moderate such discussions would be a living "hell" (see what I did there?).
Quote:I can certainly agree with you there. However, to moderate such discussions would be a living "hell" (see what I did there?).

That is, if you believe in that sorta thing Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4