Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Re-sign Henne?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Bradley will be coaching for his future here in Jacksonville next season as this will be the final year on his contract.  He's done nothing to date that warrants an extension, but that would likely change next season if he could somehow get this team to win the division or get into the playoffs as a wildcard. 

Assume you're in Bradley's shoes for the moment.  How comfortable would you be with bringing back Henne and him starting a significant amount of games next year due to a potential Bortles injury?  Henne has been in the building for the last 4 seasons so he has a leg up knowledge wise on anyone else they'd potentially bring in, but what we've seen performance wise from Henne leaves much to be desired.  It's also no guarantee that he doesn't want to go into a new situation where he might actually compete to start.

Assume you're in Caldwell's shoes for the moment and another dismal season would likely turn the heat on your seat way up.  How comfortable are you with rolling into next season with someone like Henne as the backup?  

I get that under normal circumstances Henne is a serviceable backup, but we're moving into a period where results need to be there or jobs are going to be lost.  Keep in mind that a 40 year old Matt Hasselbeck likely saved Pagano's job this year in Indy.  Do you think Henne could have done the same?  I know some of you want Bradley gone yesterday, but try to answer this poll question as if you were him or Caldwell and were looking at the prospect of this next season being your last if it goes badly.

Some potential 2016 free agent QBs:

Drew Stanton

Matt Schaub

Josh Johnson

Matt Cassel

Brock Osweiler

Dan Orlovsky

Brandon Weeden

T.J. Yates

Charlie Whitehurst

Matt Hasselbeck

Chad Henne

Chase Daniel

Matt Moore

Matt Flynn

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Sam Bradford

Michael Vick

Tajh Boyd

Kellen Clemens

Tavaris Jackson

Colt McCoy

Kirk Cousins

Also, Ryan Tannehill and RGIII could be allowed to test free agency and in RGIII's case it's rather likely.  Some of these names are not going to sign on to be someone's backup though, so keep that in mind.

I'd ride with Henne. Of that list, I'd take Hasselbeck in a heartbeat over Henne, but the rest are more or less lateral moves. Hasselbeck adds a lot to Bortles game with the experience he brings and the quick decisions and accuracy.
I wouldn't mind someone younger learning the system.  Blake could get kilt if they don't improve the line.

Id take TJ Yates over Henne.
Resign Henne and bring in a developmental guy.
Kirk Cousins isn't making it out of Washington after the season he's had.

Unless I'm just missing something that has been already reported? Idk.

I'd roll with Henne.
I'm in favor of keeping Henne solely for the entertainment value it adds seeing him and Bortles celebrate after tds, they seem to have a great rapport with each other.  Then again if Bortles goes down we'd be completely hosed.

One can't discuss resigning Henne without talking about $$ 

The dude is making ~ $4 million per year.  You don't pay a backup $4m per year. 

At $2 million keep him --- anything over, go get someone else.

Quote:One can't discuss resigning Henne without talking about $$ 

The dude is making ~ $4 million per year.  You don't pay a backup $4m per year. 

At $2 million keep him --- anything over, go get someone else.
Get some one else anyway, Henne isn't any good. A dollar would be to much.
Where is the "who gives a crap" option? Is that corn?
Henne knows the system and he isn't that much of a step down from most of the guys on the list.
Quote:Id take TJ Yates over Henne.

Assuming T.J. Yates is expected to be able to practice by around mid August,  if I were in the Texans position,  re-signing him would be a priority.   Yates' track record against the highly talented Bengals,  a team the Texans compete against in the overall AFC,  speaks for itself.  

Regarding the Jaguars situation,  regardless if Chad Henne is re-signed,  it would appear to make sense for the team to draft a QB in the mid or late rounds.   Having someone who can be developed into a high caliber backup QB could pay huge dividends later this decade if Blake Bortles misses any time.

Quote:Bradley will be coaching for his future here in Jacksonville next season as this will be the final year on his contract.  He's done nothing to date that warrants an extension, but that would likely change next season if he could somehow get this team to win the division or get into the playoffs as a wildcard. 

Assume you're in Bradley's shoes for the moment.  How comfortable would you be with bringing back Henne and him starting a significant amount of games next year due to a potential Bortles injury?  Henne has been in the building for the last 4 seasons so he has a leg up knowledge wise on anyone else they'd potentially bring in, but what we've seen performance wise from Henne leaves much to be desired.  It's also no guarantee that he doesn't want to go into a new situation where he might actually compete to start.

Assume you're in Caldwell's shoes for the moment and another dismal season would likely turn the heat on your seat way up.  How comfortable are you with rolling into next season with someone like Henne as the backup?  

I get that under normal circumstances Henne is a serviceable backup, but we're moving into a period where results need to be there or jobs are going to be lost.  Keep in mind that a 40 year old Matt Hasselbeck likely saved Pagano's job this year in Indy.  Do you think Henne could have done the same?  I know some of you want Bradley gone yesterday, but try to answer this poll question as if you were him or Caldwell and were looking at the prospect of this next season being your last if it goes badly.

Some potential 2016 free agent QBs:

Drew Stanton

Matt Schaub

Josh Johnson

Matt Cassel

Brock Osweiler

Dan Orlovsky

Brandon Weeden

T.J. Yates

Charlie Whitehurst

Matt Hasselbeck

Chad Henne

Chase Daniel

Matt Moore

Matt Flynn

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Sam Bradford

Michael Vick

Tajh Boyd

Kellen Clemens

Tavaris Jackson

Colt McCoy

Kirk Cousins

Also, Ryan Tannehill and RGIII could be allowed to test free agency and in RGIII's case it's rather likely.  Some of these names are not going to sign on to be someone's backup though, so keep that in mind.

You can safely take Kirk Cousins off of that list, I mean RG3 is listed as a 3rd string on the team & he's gone over 4k passing this year breaking their franchise records (considering he was a back up & didnt start at the start of the season that is saying a lot).  Matt Hasselbeck is too old but he's a great backup QB I think if he plays another year the Colts will resign him since he did good for them this season.  Honestly I think Colt McCoy would be a good backup (younger than Chad Henne and probably cheaper to sign).  I think most people wouldnt care if Grandpa was resigned (because they expect that Bortles will never get injured, "fingers crossed" which is amazing that people would think that with him taking the most abuse than any other QB for the last two years behind this horrible Oline).
I don't think RGIII is going to be negotiating for a starting job anywhere.  Assuming Washington doesn't pick up the 5th year option, would no one be open to bringing him in as the backup?  He showed more in his rookie year than Henne has in any season he's started.  Is he unredeemable as a quarterback and teammate? Or is he just not an upgrade over Henne at this point?

I created this poll, but quite frankly choosing an answer wasn't easy for me.  I went with "somewhat comfortable" like the majority, but the thought of seeing Henne come in and play 4 or 5 games or more concerns me.  I just have to wonder if Gus, who is coaching for his future here next year, feels the same way.

Quote:Id take TJ Yates over Henne.
My bad I was thinking of Tyrod Taylor for some reason

Quote:I don't think RGIII is going to be negotiating for a starting job anywhere.  Assuming Washington doesn't pick up the 5th year option, would no one be open to bringing him in as the backup?  He showed more in his rookie year than Henne has in any season he's started.  Is he unredeemable as a quarterback and teammate? Or is he just not an upgrade over Henne at this point?

I created this poll, but quite frankly choosing an answer wasn't easy for me.  I went with "somewhat comfortable" like the majority, but the thought of seeing Henne come in and play 4 or 5 games or more concerns me.  I just have to wonder if Gus, who is coaching for his future here next year, feels the same way.

Because of the intangible value Chad Henne can provide Blake Bortles,  who is still growing as a QB,  I probably would bring him back in 2016.  But with the plan of what I touched on above in terms of drafting a QB in the middle or late rounds,  providing value is present at either point of the draft.   Henne could also help the rookie QB grow in the system.   It's realistically possible that by 2017,  that rookie would be ready to ascend to the # 2 QB position.  

My thought is if they fix the Oline in the offseason (which i have serious doubts about), then Blake might remain healthy for years so do you want a senior aging failed QB in Chad Henne or a young guy (maybe even drafted in the later rounds of this years upcoming draft) to spend that time on the bench learning in the event that Blake ever does get injured & if not could always trade him for a higher pick than you spent on him (ex. sign a 7th or undrafted free agent QB and then 3 years later trade him for a 4th pick if you dont feel you need him & want to give him a chance on another team as a starter).

The more I think about it, we know what to expect from Chad Henne below average... safe doesnt throw a lot of picks but also doesnt get the job done... i think its time the Jaguars parted ways with Chad... honestly..

Quote:Not comfortable. There are several clear upgrades to Henne on that list.

Well said.

Hell nooo get rid of him !!! He should be gone by Friday imo... What can Bortles learn from Henne? Henne is not even a serviceable backup! He has no mobility, no pocket awareness, poor accuaracy, poor decision making, he doesnt have a big arm, he is not a winner, not a leader, what is his purpose??? Bring in a rookie and fa qb and lets go! Lol keep Chad Henne!!! Thats funny!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13