Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From The Jets Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Quote: 

After a bye week that left the Jaguars within shouting distance of first place despite a 2-5 record, the Jaguars went up against the Jets in the Meadowlands.  My thoughts...

1.  Three turnovers in the last 5 minutes of the game, including on successive plays.  Of course, when a fumble occurs at midfield that could have given the Jaguars the ball in great field position, Poz jumps right on it and can't recover it #becauseJaguars.

2.  One of the most frustrating things about watching this defense is seeing them succeed in the first two downs, getting third and long yardage, and allowing the opposing offenses to convert.  Today was no different.  In the first half, the Jets had 3rd and 12, 3rd and 8, and 3rd and 7 and converted them all.  One was a pass to Ivory over the middle.  Another was a 3rd and 8, reduced to 3rd and 3 by penalty.  They played decently overall, but there were two blown coverages in the second half that cost this team big time.

3.  Special teams continues to let this team down.  After Jacksonville took the lead in the first quarter after having good field position, the Jaguars could have controlled field position the entire first quarter, but instead on the kickoff, they allowed a long kick return giving the Jets field position at midfield.  They allowed another long punt return, then finally, Marshall fumbled the punt, precluding any chance of a Jaguars rally.  But hey, at least Myers got us the free sub.

4.  The Jaguars were whipped on the offensive line of scrimmage.  At least six sacks were registered, including the 4th quarter fumble by Bortles that stopped a Jaguars drive inside the red zone (though that one is on Bortles for holding the ball too long.  There were several other pressures and not much room to run.  The line must do better.

5.  Bad call on the Walters "incompletion" on the sideline.  Worse because review clearly showed both feet down in bounds and control of the ball. The whole purpose of replay is to get the call right when there is clear and convincing evidence the call on the field was wrong.  I don't know what was unclear or unconvincing about that replay.

6.  Though Hurns and Robinson both had drops, they both had good games against a good secondary.

7.  Bottom line:  While the result was disappointing to be sure, I am not as angry after this game as I was after the Tampa and Indy losses.  Jacksonville had momentum in parts of the second half, and as the game wore on, I thought the Jaguars had a legitimate chance to win until Poz didn't recover that fumble.  I think against a lesser opponent, Jacksonville wins this game.  Unlike in games past, the team didn't let down in the aftermath of a bad play.  Despite the loss, this team showed signs of growth.

Telvin Smith is a Pro Bowl quality player
Offensive line sucks. Pass rush sucks. DBs sucks. Everything else is fine with me more or less. Run D was nasty. Bortles had some ugly moments but way more good than bad. 

Everything sucks. From the GM on down

Need to blow it up....won't make a difference. ...we're 2-6 anyway

Division is there for the taking and we keep snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
1. Hurns might be one of the best receivers in the game today.

2. Bortles has come a very long way, but he has a long way yet to go.

3. The Jets had 18 men on the field: 11 players and 7 officials.

4. Gus still hasn't learned how to call a timeout.

5. The Jets' punter is a better kicker than our kicker.

6. Yeldon needs help. He's not going to be the type of back that can make something from nothing. That's not an indictment of his ability, just a statement that if offensive linemen are falling backwards into him, it's going to bring him down.

7. What's Reggie Barlow up to these days?

8. As much as I hate Gus' coaching, substitutions, time management and sideline demeanor, it's not always his fault. This one's on the players.
Best thing that occurred from this game:

Free firehouse sub.

Quote:Telvin Smith is a Pro Bowl quality player

No he's not. His coverage is awful he was at fault for that big pick up by their TE for like 47 yards he just stood there
Quote:Everything sucks. From the GM on down

Division is there for the taking and we keep snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Go home!
Quote:No he's not. His coverage is awful he was at fault for that big pick up by their TE for like 47 yards he just stood there
Go home!
Quote:Telvin Smith is a Pro Bowl quality player

+1
Quote:No he's not. His coverage is awful he was at fault for that big pick up by their TE for like 47 yards he just stood there

And the Decker td

That being said he is still an excellent lb against the run

He just bites too hard sometimes he is boom or bust in coverage
yep. These guys are Stat watchers. They don't understand what they're looking at
Quote:Everything sucks. From the GM on down

Isn't it tiring posting idiotic statements post after post
Quote:Go home!

Say hi to Gus for me at the ice cream party
Quote:yep. These guys are Stat watchers. They don't understand what they're looking at

Exactly. He makes big plays, granted. However if he also gives up big plays, it's quite counter productive
Quote:Exactly. He makes big plays, granted. However if he also gives up big plays, it's quite counter productive
same thing happened in the Colts game. Teams purposely bring the TEs across his face
Lots of good stuff today - Robinson 120+ including huge plays against Revis.  Hurns makes a few amazing plays every game and had 120+ also.  The defense was great against the run, but didn't get the turnovers when they presented themselves. 

The offense played pretty well against a great defense.  They took sacks but also made big plays. 

Gus is the unluckiest coach in NFL history. 

I still can't believe Mercedes caught that pass. 

We can't do anything about the stinkin' refs....maybe file a grievance with the league.

But every player can do something about his play today and the inconsistencies we all saw. but some players kept us in the game and some took us out.

Only Caldwell or Khan can do something about our coaching staff.

Quote:Lots of good stuff today - Robinson 120+ including huge plays against Revis.  Hurns makes a few amazing plays every game and had 120+ also.  The defense was great against the run, but didn't get the turnovers when they presented themselves. 

The offense played pretty well against a great defense.  They took sacks but also made big plays. 

Quote:Lots of good stuff today - Robinson 120+ including huge plays against Revis.  Hurns makes a few amazing plays every game and had 120+ also.  The defense was great against the run, but didn't get the turnovers when they presented themselves. 

I agree with everything else. I hope the last part was sarcasm though?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5