Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Details on new practice facility, and other stadium upgrades
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory...._id=546450

The city and Jacksonville Jaguars are proposing $90 million in upgrades to EverBank Field, investments that would replace the facility’s club seating while building an indoor practice facility and amphitheater.

<p style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:.98em;color:rgb(0,0,0);"> 

<p class="" style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">Under the latest round of improvements, the city and team would split the cost evenly at $45 million each.

<p class="" style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);"> 

<p class="" style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">By being introduced Tuesday, it would be on track for final approval Dec. 8, the last council meeting of the year.

<p class="" style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">The series of upgrades and improvements comprise:

<p class="" style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);"> 

<p class="" style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">• Replacing all 11,000 seats in the east and west club sections of the stadium for $25 million. Each side would lose 1,500 seats, bringing the total down to about 8,000, which Mousa said is about the NFL average. Filling the void would be constructed outdoor decks.

<p class="" style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">• An indoor FlexField practice facility located along the southern portion of the stadium adjacent to Gator Bowl Boulevard. The site has been used as an entertainment area for years. The new concept, Mousa said, will cost $20 million and provide a multiuse facility owned by the city that can house concerts and other events in addition to the team’s football activities. The Jaguars would manage the facility.

<p class="" style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">• An amphitheater, at a cost of $45 million. The facility would be tucked between the practice facility and the stadium. It could accommodate 10,000 people — 5,000 in fixed seating and 5,000 on a berm. Like the practice facility, the city would own this. However, a Jaguars subsidiary, American Thunder, would manage and operate it.

<p class="" style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">[Image: 1446735587SD-Renders-reduced-1.jpg]

Bring it on. It's about time Cowford grows up.

But Libraries! And firefighters! And Schools!

Dey dook der jerbs!!!!

[Image: lo6p.gif]

Quote:But Libraries! And firefighters! And Schools!

Dey dook der jerbs!!!!
....and why do dey knot try to wins games and stuffs.
Where do we stand on the Shipyards Project? I thought there was a practice facility in those plans? Update?
Quote:Where do we stand on the Shipyards Project? I thought there was a practice facility in those plans? Update?
Mr Khan is on record as not wanting to wait for the process to play out before giving his team a facility. Plans are ongoing but would no doubt be altered from the original concept.

I read somewhere they believe if approved they can complete that by next season. Amazing if true.

Edit again, read the entire article. Duh. it says it right there.

Quote:Where do we stand on the Shipyards Project? I thought there was a practice facility in those plans? Update?

If you read through the article it states that  the Shipyard Project is unaffected by this and the team very much wants to move forward with that plan.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"...

<p class="" style="margin-left:40px;">In February, Jaguars owner Shad Khan unveiled his vision for the Shipyards, a riverfront site across from the stadium. That concept included a multitier practice facility, similar in scope to the one being pitched now.

<p class="" style="margin-left:40px;">Mousa said the EverBank Field improvements have no bearing on the Shipyards and that both parties are still interested in pursuing a redevelopment deal for the 46-acre tract of land.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">..."
Quote:If you read through the article it states that  the Shipyard Project is unaffected by this and the team very much wants to move forward with that plan.

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">"...

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">In February, Jaguars owner Shad Khan unveiled his vision for the Shipyards, a riverfront site across from the stadium. That concept included a multitier practice facility, similar in scope to the one being pitched now.

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">Mousa said the EverBank Field improvements have no bearing on the Shipyards and that both parties are still interested in pursuing a redevelopment deal for the 46-acre tract of land.

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">..."

Great! Thanks
Can someone hand me a napkin? I'm drooling.

An indoor practice field would definitely have a positive impact on the team's performance.

Quote:Mr Khan is on record as not wanting to wait for the process to play out before giving his team a facility. Plans are ongoing but would no doubt be altered from the original concept.

I read somewhere they believe if approved they can complete that by next season. Amazing if true.

Edit again, read the entire article. Duh. it says it right there.

In reality, structures like these should be something that can be put together pretty quickly once they have the final approval.  I like the concept of adding an amphitheater to the mix.  Combining that along with the indoor practice facility would open the door to hosting all sorts of events which means more revenue for the city and the team.  It also makes the facilities attractive for big games like the NCAA championship tournament, and, dare I say, eventually another Super Bowl?  Those two facilities in particular would be ground zero for much of the pre-game festivities.

As far as the Shipyards project goes, while it would need to be modified, my guess is that with the practice facility moving to the grounds of the old Ferrell Field, that would open up the opportunity for more green space, or for another structure on the spot where they proposed putting the practice fields in the original plan.  Regardless, once they hammer out who will be responsible for doing the cleanup, that project should start to move forward, but that's something that I could see taking 5-10 years to come to fruition. 

The fact that the team and the city are really making an effort to partner on projects like this makes it crystal clear that there's zero intention of moving this team out of Jacksonville, and it silences the people who are still suggesting that the intention of the current owner is to do so at the first possible opportunity. 
WOW! Khan's vision is unparalleled. Sorry Jerry Jones. 

I'm old enough to remember the heady days when the city built an upper deck on the Gator Bowl back in the 80's. Everyone thought that was a big deal. Then again, that upper deck is all that's left of the old Gator Bowl.

If you look at the evolution of the rusty old Gator Bowl to Everbank Field, it really is something to behold.

Man I wish I still lived in Jax to see the new improvements to the stadium and the upcoming plans for the area around it. Shad is doing big things for Jax.
Quote:Man I wish I still lived in Jax to see the new improvements to the stadium and the upcoming plans for the area around it. Shad is doing big things for Jax.

This man is going to single handedly make our city a big deal. I loved the Weavers, but I didn't realize an NFL owner could do all of these things.

Khan recently said that eventually he would like these two projects to be interconnected (possibly through some sort of walkway). I hope all these plans come to fruition, looks amazing.
Quote:This man is going to single handedly make our city a big deal. I loved the Weavers, but I didn't realize an NFL owner could do all of these things.

I appreciate what Weaver did. But I think he knew that running the NFL team had outgrow his ability. Khan has put people in place (Lamping in particular) that have big visions like he does and are more than competent to handle the day to day operations. 

Going to the stadium in Tampa a few weeks ago gave me a glimpse of what Everbank Field would be like if Weaver still owned the team. It was not good.
There are not many cities with a professional sports team that an owner could come in and make a huge impact in shaping the direction of the city. I do think Khan enjoys being in a position to shape a major metropolitan area. The man has a near blank slate to work with. This wouldn't be possible in Chicago or New York
Quote:http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory...._id=546450

The city and Jacksonville Jaguars are proposing $90 million in upgrades to EverBank Field, investments that would replace the facility’s club seating while building an indoor practice facility and amphitheater.

<p style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:.98em;color:rgb(0,0,0);"> 

<p style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">Under the latest round of improvements, the city and team would split the cost evenly at $45 million each.

<p style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);"> 

<p style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">By being introduced Tuesday, it would be on track for final approval Dec. 8, the last council meeting of the year.

<p style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">The series of upgrades and improvements comprise:

<p style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);"> 

<p style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">• Replacing all 11,000 seats in the east and west club sections of the stadium for $25 million. Each side would lose 1,500 seats, bringing the total down to about 8,000, which Mousa said is about the NFL average. Filling the void would be constructed outdoor decks.

<p style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">• An indoor FlexField practice facility located along the southern portion of the stadium adjacent to Gator Bowl Boulevard. The site has been used as an entertainment area for years. The new concept, Mousa said, will cost $20 million and provide a multiuse facility owned by the city that can house concerts and other events in addition to the team’s football activities. The Jaguars would manage the facility.

<p style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">• An amphitheater, at a cost of $45 million. The facility would be tucked between the practice facility and the stadium. It could accommodate 10,000 people — 5,000 in fixed seating and 5,000 on a berm. Like the practice facility, the city would own this. However, a Jaguars subsidiary, American Thunder, would manage and operate it.

<p style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13.6122px;color:rgb(0,0,0);">[Image: 1446735587SD-Renders-reduced-1.jpg]

Thank you for posting. I probably wouldn't have seen the article otherwise, although I'm sure it will get plenty of publicity. Can't wait to see the comments section of the Times-Union and the first post about how hard all this will be to move to London.

Anyone have any feel as to how this will be received by the City Council? With the Police/Fire pension mess I wonder if the Council feels it's politically safe to commit such large sums to Shad Khan (which is how it will be presented.) Someone call Ron Littlepage!

Also - hope I live long enough to see all this come to fruition. This city hasn't often been quick to jump into a brave new world.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7