Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Re-visiting Fowler
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Is it too late to put Fowler on PUP instead of IR? I don't believe the team has to designate one way or the other until the season starts, so I think this option is still in play.

Considering he's so young and that the injury happened so early, what if they push the PUP limits as long as they can go? As I recall they have between weeks six and nine to activate him, so they can wait until just before week nine. He just might be ready to go by then.

No

The injury occurred on May 8th.

According to Wiko, here are the PUP rules...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

I believe he's listed on IR, but as I understood the rule you can go on PUP as long as you never practiced in training camp. I could use some clarification there to be sure this is an option. If it is, they have even longer to activate him. He wouldn't need to start practicing until after week 11 at the latest (after week six at the earliest), and then they wouldn't need to activate him until after week 14, or mid-December, at the latest. That's nearly the entire season but would put him in play should the Jaguars manage to contend this year.

This would give him a good 7 months from the time the injury occurred until he'd need to be activated.

Well what would be the point? Here's my rationale. We have three possible scenarios for when he returns late in the season.

1) We are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

2) We are mathematically assured of the playoffs.

3) We are fighting to get/hold on to a spot in the playoffs.

In the first two cases, his presence would do nothing for the team except put him in further risk of re-injury. As for the third, do we think Dante's presence alone will be enough to win games for us?

I think he eventually can be a dominating player for us, but asking him to strive right after coming off a torn ACL (in his first NFL action, no less) is going to result at best in a middling performance that could sabotage confidence, and at worse further injury.
Fowler and Sacks 2016

By the look of our front seven during the first two games I think they should explore any and all options on him being able to return and play this season. Hopefully the pass rush and sacks show up during the next two weeks but it's not looking promising right now.

I think they asked Gus earlier this year if he would be open to putting Fowler on the designated to return IR and he said no.

I don't think they want to rush him back or risk re-hurting their prized draft pick. He will be back next year.
I don't think so. Give Fowler the chance to come back next year at full strength and hungry to play.
It would make zero sense to bring him back this year. They drafted him for the long haul....not just for one season.
Quote:In the first two cases, his presence would do nothing for the team except put him in further risk of re-injury. As for the third, do we think Dante's presence alone will be enough to win games for us?
If he's better than what we have at the position, then absolutely there's a point at which his presence alone will be enough to win games for us that we might have otherwise lost. How much better he is than the replacement dictates where that point lies.

Either way, though, we're going to get much better use out of him by letting him recover properly until next season.
If he were a veteran player then maybe, but we are talking about a guy who hasn't made it through one NFL practice.

Even if he were physically ready, there is no way he would be mentally ready to step out on the field.

Rushing him back from a torn ACL is a great idea. 

I'd love to see him on the field this season but its not worth it

We're going to need him in January if we expect to make that run ..... :thumbsup:

Quote:We're going to need him in January if we expect to make that run ..... :thumbsup:
If we need him in January, then we don't need him in January. If you see what I'm saying.
there is no way

I'd rather the team trade for Bruce Irvin and sign Aldon Smith.

Quote:I'd rather the team trade for Bruce Irvin and sign Aldon Smith.

I'd recommend not holding your breath on either.
Quote:I'd recommend not holding your breath on either.

I'm not, but what's the risk in making a play for both players? The Jaguars could easily structure Aldon Smith's contract to financially protect themselves if he continues to be an idiot off the field, once signed he'd instantly be the best pass rusher in this franchises history, the upside is immense. Bruce Irvin is in a contract year and certainly won't be a Seattle Seahawk next year due to their cap issues, he could probably be had for a 3rd round or 4th round pick. It's just my opinion, but this front office needs to start taking some chances to expedite this rebuilding process, I don't think we're that far away from winning this division, acquiring elite pass rushers might put this team over the edge.
Quote:I'm not, but what's the risk in making a play for both players? The Jaguars could easily structure Aldon Smith's contract to financially protect themselves if he continues to be an idiot off the field, once signed he'd instantly be the best pass rusher in this franchises history, the upside is immense. Bruce Irvin is in a contract year and certainly won't be a Seattle Seahawk next year due to their cap issues, he could probably be had for a 3rd round or 4th round pick. It's just my opinion, but this front office needs to start taking some chances to expedite this rebuilding process, I don't think we're that far away from winning this division, acquiring elite pass rushers might put this team over the edge.

I assumed you were joking... but it appears you were 100% serious.  Alright
Pages: 1 2 3 4