Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Scobee or Myers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I realize that Josh Scobee is a fan favorite and is doing a very consistent job as the Jags kicker.

Myers is the new guy. Young with a powerful leg and he too has had an outstanding camp and preseason.

It's a good competition to have.

The problem is that if the Jags keep Scobee then another team will in all likelihood sign Myers. So do the Jags keep the solid but aging vet and risk losing Myers or do they keep the younger guy who could be the teams kicker for many many years??
Kickers are a dime a dozen.
Quote:Kickers are a dime a dozen.

If so would the Vikings not have already replaced Walsh?
you keep both kickers. it never hurts to have a back up kicker. look at pitsburgh who lost there kicer for season. they had to find someone,and sighn him. I say keep both kickers.

There's no such thing as a "developmental kicker". If Myers is just plain better than Scobee, keep him. If not, cut him and bring him back to camp next year, like what the team is doing with Redfern, or stash him on the practice squad or Double Secret IR. There's no reason to keep two kickers on the 53-man when your starter is perfectly capable of kicking off.
Myers, trade Scobee for a 7th round pick. Myers has the leg to kick it from the 50 yard line.  So, all the Jags offense has to do is move the ball to the 50 yard line and avg 10 fg attemps for 30 pts.  30 pts per game avg is good enough to win a the Super Bowl.  Our new OW, the first kicker ever named NFL MVP.

Quote:you keep both kickers. it never hurts to have a back up kicker. look at pitsburgh who lost there kicer for season. they had to find someone,and sighn him. I say keep both kickers.

No thanks.
Quote:There's no such thing as a "developmental kicker". If Myers is just plain better than Scobee, keep him. If not, cut him and bring him back to camp next year, like what the team is doing with Redfern, or stash him on the practice squad or Double Secret IR. There's no reason to keep two kickers on the 53-man when your starter is perfectly capable of kicking off.

If the Jags cut Myers I bet another team signs him

No practice squad no bringing him back next year
Quote:Myers, trade Scobee for a 7th round pick. Myers has the leg to kick it from the 50 yard line.  So, all the Jags offense has to do is move the

ball to the 50 yard line and avg 10 fg attemps for 30 pts.  30 pts per game avg is good enough to win a the Super Bowl.  Our new OW, the first kicker ever named NFL MVP.

He could score 50 a game, and he wouldn't win.  By the way, he'd be the second kicker to win the MVP.
Quote:If the Jags cut Myers I bet another team signs him

This would be a good time for some phantom injury to occur sending him to IR for the year.
Quote:This would be a good time for some phantom injury to occur sending him to IR for the year.
If the team wants to keep Scobee I totally agree about stashing Myers on IR
I still say Scobee has it. I wouldnt be against Myers finding a way to stay some how tho. But I also wouldnt care if he didnt make it.

This is a hard one. Scobee is proven, but old. Myers is young, and has been booting the ball from downtown.

I wouldn't care tbh. I'll still never forgive scobee for missing the 60 yarder game winner against Pittsburgh.
Quote:He could score 50 a game, and he wouldn't win. By the way, he'd be the second kicker to win the MVP.
what kicker won MVP?
Quote:what kicker won MVP?

Hahahaha I'd like to know this as well.
Quote:what kicker won MVP?

Quote:Hahahaha I'd like to know this as well.
Mark Mosley. 1982. The strike-shortened season.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-ye...mvp-award/

Quote:Mark Mosley. 1982. The strike-shortened season.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-year-the-nfl-went-insane-and-gave-a-kicker-the-mvp-award/'>http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-year-the-nfl-went-insane-and-gave-a-kicker-the-mvp-award/</a>
awesome!!
Good read on the Grantland article, too. 

Regardless, to the current situation topic. Scobee hasn't shown any significant decline. It'll come, but he's still to this point been about as close to a sure thing as most teams can hope for in their kicker. While hopefully we don't get struck unlucky by assuming such when the time does come to replace him, but kickers do in fact tend to be a "dime a dozen." That's not to say 2-3 years from now we're looking for the next and once again strike gold in finding a decade plus guy, but at least the average guy kicker that can get you through a year can be picked up most any time. We've been a blessed franchise in the kicker category. Mike Hollis was a stud, and we didn't suffer long with the off-the-street type guys before ending up with Scobee. There's rarely a case to be made for a second active kicker or even a practice squad spot.

Quote:you keep both kickers. it never hurts to have a back up kicker. look at pitsburgh who lost there kicer for season. they had to find someone,and sighn him. I say keep both kickers.
You can't keep two. That's a waste of roster depth and that could be Corey Grant making the team or not making the team because of it. The Steelers went out and got another one because of a freak injury, and that rarely happens. There is never a need for two kickers. What NFL roster has two kickers? I don't think any do.

Quote:If the Jags cut Myers I bet another team signs him

He'll get a paper cut on September 4th and be placed on IR September 5th.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6