Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(06-22-2020, 04:51 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 04:48 PM)JackCity Wrote: Take a look at excess deaths

Yep.

Excess Deaths

Looking at the numbers from the 2nd chart, the excess deaths nationwide (from 2/1/20 - 6/22/20) are 2% higher than normal. That calculates to about 23,000 deaths vs. 106,000 deaths attributed to the wuhan virus.

Most states are at or below 100% (Florida is at 99%). New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts are the biggest over-averages.

In Florida the number of cases has skyrocketed while the average age has plummeted and the death rate has been flat. Whether or not that's an artifact of the demonstration crowds is debatable, but it fits the demographics and the timing.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-22-2020, 05:20 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

So when actual numbers aren't "convenient" we look for another metric.

No the use of excess deaths was actually mentioned very early in this thread as a good way to analyze covid 19s total effect on healthcare systems, especially with the differing labels

Perhaps this might shed some light on the situation.

Quote:It’s the increase in testing like this that Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry said is causing the county’s positive number of COVID-19 cases to increase. Just in the last five days, the city has seen record-high one-day totals.

But with the latest surge, Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry said most people are not going to the hospital.

During a Monday press conference, Curry took issue with reports regarding hospitals and full ICU beds when in fact only a very small number of those beds have COVID-19 patients.

Curry said Monday there are 14 patients in ICU’s around Jacksonville.

So there is a larger number of people testing positive, yet the hospital stays and ICU numbers are not very big.

The bottom line is, getting the China virus isn't the "death sentence" that much of the media tries to make people think that it is.

I wonder what the numbers would look like if we tracked a common flu?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-22-2020, 05:31 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 05:20 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So when actual numbers aren't "convenient" we look for another metric.

No the use of excess deaths was actually mentioned very early in this thread as a good way to analyze covid 19s total effect on healthcare systems, especially with the differing labels

So what adverse effect does the China virus have on healthcare systems?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-22-2020, 05:20 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

So when actual numbers aren't "convenient" we look for another metric.

When "actual numbers" are falsified in various ways, then yes another metric adds value.

I have read one comment on Facebook that swore that her relative died of something else but the cause-of-death was stated as COVID-19. I don't know this person but the people who did know her believed her. The Federal government created a huge incentive to lie like that.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(06-22-2020, 05:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 05:31 PM)JackCity Wrote: No the use of excess deaths was actually mentioned very early in this thread as a good way to analyze covid 19s total effect on healthcare systems, especially with the differing labels

So what adverse effect does the China virus have on healthcare systems?

surgeries postponed, less staff per non covid patient,  less outpatient facilities , significantly more staff missing weeks, more inexperienced nurses and doctors accelerated into higher responsibility roles.

15 days to flatten the curve. The curve has been flattened.

(06-22-2020, 05:29 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 04:51 PM)mikesez Wrote: Yep.

Excess Deaths

Looking at the numbers from the 2nd chart, the excess deaths nationwide (from 2/1/20 - 6/22/20) are 2% higher than normal. That calculates to about 23,000 deaths vs. 106,000 deaths attributed to the wuhan virus.

Most states are at or below 100% (Florida is at 99%). New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts are the biggest over-averages.

In Florida the number of cases has skyrocketed while the average age has plummeted and the death rate has been flat. Whether or not that's an artifact of the demonstration crowds is debatable, but it fits the demographics and the timing.

My math comes out quite a bit higher.
The deaths compared to expected, in the top row, is indicated at 102%.
But that includes the last three weeks where the data is incomplete. If you could recalculate that average without the last 3 weeks, then subtract one, and then multiply the result by the total death during the same period, The result will be around 100,000.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

I'm glad we got the virus under control before reopening here.

It just makes economic sense.

Now it's hard to tell the difference except lots of hand sanitiser around the place.

(06-22-2020, 06:09 PM)lastonealive Wrote: I'm glad we got the virus under control before reopening here.

Now it's hard to tell the difference except lots of hand sanitiser around the place.
Jealous.

(06-22-2020, 06:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 06:09 PM)lastonealive Wrote: I'm glad we got the virus under control before reopening here.

Jealous.

You should move there. I think you would be happier in another country.

(06-22-2020, 07:13 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 06:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Jealous.

Bahahaha

Nah. I like it hear. Thanks though.

(06-22-2020, 07:13 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 06:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Jealous.

Hey you hate the mainstream American media(except fox) and the majority of the voters, don't seem to prescribe to the socially liberal attitudes.

Ever consider you would be a better fit in the middle east?

(06-22-2020, 05:58 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 05:29 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Excess Deaths

My math comes out quite a bit higher.
But that includes the last three weeks where the data is incomplete. If you could recalculate that average without the last 3 weeks, then subtract one, and then multiply the result by the total death during the same period, The result will be around 100,000.

Seriously? You think that the last three weeks are going to pull up the average? They'd have to be at 140% to make a significant dent, and most of the recent cases are young people who are unlikely to die from it.

(06-22-2020, 08:20 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 05:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: My math comes out quite a bit higher.

Seriously? You think that the last three weeks are going to pull up the average? They'd have to be at 140% to make a significant dent, and most of the recent cases are young people who are unlikely to die from it.

It says right at the top the data's incomplete dude.

Welp corporate said even though I’m negative I have to stay home for 14 days at least they’ll let me use vacation time
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(06-22-2020, 09:15 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 08:20 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:

It says right at the top the data's incomplete dude.

Your argument doesn't make sense. Even the COVID numbers for the last three weeks are close to the final total except for the last few days where cause of death hasn't always been assigned. The total deaths (what we're looking at) would only change from people being discovered dead in their homes after a few days, which is a very small percentage of deaths. The difference is not going to have a significant effect on the 102%. It's lost in the round-off error.

You call yourself an engineer? I hope I never have to use a product of your analysis.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 06-23-2020, 10:23 AM by mikesez.)

(06-23-2020, 06:50 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 09:15 PM)mikesez Wrote: It says right at the top the data's incomplete dude.

Your argument doesn't make sense. Even the COVID numbers for the last three weeks are close to the final total except for the last few days where cause of death hasn't always been assigned. The total deaths (what we're looking at) would only change from people being discovered dead in their homes after a few days, which is a very small percentage of deaths. The difference is not going to have a significant effect on the 102%. It's lost in the round-off error.

You call yourself an engineer? I hope I never have to use a product of your analysis.

Thanks for the gratuitous insults!
Why, in your opinion, would there be twice as many deaths reported in the week ending 5/30, compared to the week ending 6/13?