Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Head Coach Candidates (Merged Threads)

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2021, 12:37 AM by Eric1. Edited 2 times in total.)

(12-29-2021, 12:29 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(12-28-2021, 11:24 PM)Upper Wrote: Bowles - no thanks
Caldwell - no as HC, would love as QB coach/assistant HC
Eberflus - not my favorite, but by far my favorite of any defensive candidate
Hackett - sure
Leftwich - sure
Moore - sure, probably the highest upside but riskiest
Pederson - my favorite of the retreads we've been linked to, since we haven't been linked to McDaniels
Quinn - big no

So you are cool with..

No experience, guys who failed miserably prior and have only been good as of late because they are an OC for QBs who are headed to the HOF.

Hackett bro? Really. Yes let's bring back king bubble screen.

When all your QB can really do is throw bubble screens, that's what you gotta do lol. He did have Bortles after all. He was the OC for the 2017 run.

Packers have been to back to back title games with him as OC. Granted Rodgers has a lot to do with that, but Hackett is well respected by Rodgers as well as inside that building/locker room.

And Hackett, Leftwich and Moore haven't gotten a chance to fail as a HC yet so I don't see how you can call them prior failures.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2021, 02:16 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

Looks like espn is reporting the jags are about to interview some of these coaches. Moore, Pederson and leftwich, bowls and others

Hackett - sure
Leftwich - sure
Pederson - my favorite of the retreads we've been linked to, since we haven't been linked to McDaniels
Quinn - big no

So you are cool with..

No experience, guys who failed miserably prior and have only been good as of late because they are an OC for QBs who are headed to the HOF.

Hackett sucks and I cant believe people actually think thats a good idea.

(12-29-2021, 12:35 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 12:29 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: So you are cool with..

When all your QB can really do is throw bubble screens, that's what you gotta do lol. He did have Bortles after all. He was the OC for the 2017 run.

Packers have been to back to back title games with him as OC. Granted Rodgers has a lot to do with that, but Hackett is well respected by Rodgers as well as inside that building/locker room.

And Hackett, Leftwich and Moore haven't gotten a chance to fail as a HC yet so I don't see how you can call them prior failures.

I dont like the idea of bringing in a OC with a HOF QB, You don't know who's responsible for the success. Look at KC, all everyone was talking about the past couple of years was how great Mahomes is, while he's good, I think its Andy Reid. Reid seems to always get the most out of his QB's. Now that Bieniemy is calling the plays, Mahomes doesn't look the same. Why have people been calling for Bieniemy to get a HC gig? Same thing goes for Hackett and Leftwich, I am not saying these guys can't be good HC's but why? If you have an amazing QB does it really matter who the OC is? I would look for the OC's who make their QBs look better, who get the most out of them, like Reid. Find me an OC with an average QB doing great things, that's the guy that I want. Not the OC with a great QB doing amazing things. Take Caldwell, he did things with an average to above average QB in Detroit, or Pederson who had an average qb in both Wentz and Foles. Those are the guys who have done things.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2021, 09:14 AM by SeldomRite. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-29-2021, 09:04 AM)MIJagsFan Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 12:35 AM)Eric1 Wrote: When all your QB can really do is throw bubble screens, that's what you gotta do lol. He did have Bortles after all. He was the OC for the 2017 run.

I dont like the idea of bringing in a OC with a HOF QB, You don't know who's responsible for the success. Look at KC, all everyone was talking about the past couple of years was how great Mahomes is, while he's good, I think its Andy Reid. Reid seems to always get the most out of his QB's. Now that Bieniemy is calling the plays, Mahomes doesn't look the same. Why have people been calling for Bieniemy to get a HC gig? Same thing goes for Hackett and Leftwich, I am not saying these guys can't be good HC's but why? If you have an amazing QB does it really matter who the OC is? I would look for the OC's who make their QBs look better, who get the most out of them, like Reid. Find me an OC with an average QB doing great things, that's the guy that I want. Not the OC with a great QB doing amazing things. Take Caldwell, he did things with an average to above average QB in Detroit, or Pederson who had an average qb in both Wentz and Foles. Those are the guys who have done things.

Similar to how I feel. Don't hire the guy riding an already great QBs coattails, hire the guy who has shown he can have success without walking into an already elite QB.

Hackett did at least succeed with Bortles, but clearly didn't develop him beyond the, "game held together with bubblegum and toothpicks," stage.

Guys who flame out as HC don't fail because they don't know football, they fail because a HC is a managerial job. Making the jump from coordinating a phase to managing and coordinating entire rosters, being the face of the team and its main spokesman, answering to the GM and owner, and nurturing a team identity while maintaining discipline is a job that most HC candidates fail.

Now is not the time to experiment with a coordinator to find out if they can make that jump. There's too much at stake right now because of Trevor Lawrence. If we lose him to a floundering rookie HC, again, we are doomed to the abyss for another 20 years.

We need proven experience now, not an experiment.

why does it matter who next HC is,nfl will pay him off to lose on purpose so they can move jags to london. its a conspricy againest the city of Jacksonville. Khan is lieing saying he won't move the team.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2021, 10:13 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

(12-29-2021, 09:39 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: why does it matter who next HC is,nfl will pay him off to lose on purpose so they can move jags to london. its a conspricy againest the city of Jacksonville. Khan is lieing saying he won't move the team.

Give it a rest, you dont have any proof of that, you know why? Because it's not true.

Stop posting that

(12-29-2021, 09:32 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Guys who flame out as HC don't fail because they don't know football, they fail because a HC is a managerial job. Making the jump from coordinating a phase to managing and coordinating entire rosters, being the face of the team and its main spokesman, answering to the GM and owner, and nurturing a team identity while maintaining discipline is a job that most HC candidates fail.

Now is not the time to experiment with a coordinator to find out if they can make that jump. There's too much at stake right now because of Trevor Lawrence. If we lose him to a floundering rookie HC, again, we are doomed to the abyss for another 20 years.

I agree with that
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2021, 10:31 AM by Mikey.)

(12-28-2021, 04:47 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(12-28-2021, 03:02 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...dd-bowles/

We’re interviewing Bowles and Leftwich

Ugh please no to Quinn

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter/...1_&ref_url=

Dan Quinn took his team to a SB.  We could (and probably will) do much worse.

Dan Quinn is a Pete Carroll failson. Did we not learn the first time around?

What kind of defensive coach blows a 28-3 lead in the biggest game of their career?

You know what, come to think of it, he's probably the perfect hire to captain the sinking ship.

(12-28-2021, 05:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-28-2021, 04:56 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: The clown show juggles on.

Dan Quinn went 43 - 42 in six years as the coach of the Falcons. 

Shahid Khan has gone 41 - 116 in ten years as the owner of the Jaguars.

Which clown would you rather have juggling your team?

I don't think Quinn has made enough cash in his career to buy the owner out.

It's more one clown or two? I'd go with just one.

(12-28-2021, 05:50 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-28-2021, 05:42 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: I mean when Trent Baalke is your GM, who else are you going to interview?

Don't be surprised if Bevell is announced as Head Coach. (Then fired after a year, and we bring in Adam Gase or something.)
I would be very surprised if Bevell is the HC next season.

Out of all the candidates listed, how does Bevell make it to the top? How do you sell the fans in Bevell (who managed the worst offense in Jags history) and Baalke (who helped roster that awful offense)? 

You don’t. I think Khan comes to his senses and it’s a clean sweep.

He sells the excuse that Urbz held back his best laid plans, and Baalke nods knowingly. Baalke then gestures to Khan in a "just like I told you Urbz did with me" fashion, and Khan falls for it hook, line, and sinker...AGAIN.

I wish I could think like you do, but pessimism is rampant at this stage.

(12-28-2021, 06:02 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-28-2021, 05:56 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: I hope you're right, but given that it sounds like we're keeping Baalke, I'm preparing myself for the worst and assuming Khan is just The Joker, and he wants to watch the world burn and names Bevell or Gase as head Coach.

Khan is hard to understand. He clearly understands and cares about what's going on to some degree because he canned Urban. Why he wouldn't go all the way and clean house on such a clown show is what's puzzling.

The only justification is that Baalke argued that Urban didn't let him act when he wanted to act, and Khan believes he deserves a chance to fail on his own merit. That's it. That's the only way any of this is plausible.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2021, 10:42 AM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-29-2021, 10:27 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-28-2021, 04:47 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Dan Quinn took his team to a SB.  We could (and probably will) do much worse.

Dan Quinn is a Pete Carroll failson. Did we not learn the first time around?

What kind of defensive coach blows a 28-3 lead in the biggest game of their career?

You know what, come to think of it, he's probably the perfect hire to captain the sinking ship.

(12-28-2021, 05:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Dan Quinn went 43 - 42 in six years as the coach of the Falcons. 

Shahid Khan has gone 41 - 116 in ten years as the owner of the Jaguars.

Which clown would you rather have juggling your team?

(12-28-2021, 05:50 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I would be very surprised if Bevell is the HC next season.

Out of all the candidates listed, how does Bevell make it to the top? How do you sell the fans in Bevell (who managed the worst offense in Jags history) and Baalke (who helped roster that awful offense)? 

You don’t. I think Khan comes to his senses and it’s a clean sweep.

He sells the excuse that Urbz held back his best laid plans, and Baalke nods knowingly. Baalke then gestures to Khan in a "just like I told you Urbz did with me" fashion, and Khan falls for it hook, line, and sinker...AGAIN.

My logical side of my brain and my pessimistic side have been battling for a few days.

The logical part says that Khan will see how bad this all is and that it needs to be a clean sweep. Baalke has been a part of a team that has won 3 games in 2 years….. everyone must go.

Then the pessimist side sees Khan bring back Bevell and Baalke….

(12-28-2021, 11:21 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-28-2021, 11:08 PM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/...3362302980
That's honestly not a bad start. I would look at Joe Lombardi. Surprised Bieniemy and Daboll haven't come up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I know we interviewed Bienemy last year, not sure we even gave Daboll a sniff. Chances are if we spoke to them a year ago, we already know who they are, what they brought, and whether we wanted to hire them at all.

I wonder if the continued cycle of interviews without a hire makes Bienemy less of a hot commodity this offseason?

(12-29-2021, 09:32 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Guys who flame out as HC don't fail because they don't know football, they fail because a HC is a managerial job. Making the jump from coordinating a phase to managing and coordinating entire rosters, being the face of the team and its main spokesman, answering to the GM and owner, and nurturing a team identity while maintaining discipline is a job that most HC candidates fail.

Bring in Pederson. He seems to have the backbone to stand up to Baalke and get him fired if necessary. The coordinators will be beholden to Baalke.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Hackett - sure
Leftwich - sure
Quinn - big no

So you are cool with..

That was Jedd Fisch

(12-29-2021, 10:36 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 10:27 AM)Mikey Wrote: Dan Quinn is a Pete Carroll failson. Did we not learn the first time around?

My logical part of my brain and my pessimistic side have been battling for a few days.

The logical part says that Khan will see how bad this all is and that it needs to be a clean sweep. Baalke has been a part of a team that has won 3 games in 2 years….. everyone must go.

Then the pessimist side sees Khan bring back Bevell and Baalke….

With Jason Garrett at OC and Wash back as DC. Make it the Island of Misfit coaches!!

(12-29-2021, 09:04 AM)MIJagsFan Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 12:35 AM)Eric1 Wrote: When all your QB can really do is throw bubble screens, that's what you gotta do lol. He did have Bortles after all. He was the OC for the 2017 run.

Agree on Caldwell, but Reich was the reason for Wentz/Foles. Case in point is Indy this year.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2021, 10:53 AM by Mikey.)

If I had the money to rent a billboard, this would be the message I'd put on it. (With your permission of course, biscuit!)

Everyone thinking we need an innovative OC or avoiding an OC because of who's executing their plays are thinking that all they will do as HC is keep calling the plays. We need someone who is going to lead this team, full stop. That includes guiding development of players, making wise choices as to roster/depth, holding coordinators accountable for gameplans that give us best chances to win, and knowing when the heck to get out of the way and let the staff do the jobs he (or she, never know!) hired them to do.

(12-29-2021, 09:39 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: why does it matter who next HC is,nfl will pay him off to lose on purpose so they can move jags to london. its a conspricy againest the city of Jacksonville. Khan is lieing saying he won't move the team.

Gonna need a mod's input here.

If we start flagging these every time they are spammed to a thread, are we gonna get dinged? This is getting asinine.

(12-29-2021, 10:40 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

Bring in Pederson. He seems to have the backbone to stand up to Baalke and get him fired if necessary. The coordinators will be beholden to Baalke.

I don't trust Baalke not to pull the rug out from under him first. It's kinda what he does. He is the master of self-preservation.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2021, 10:58 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-29-2021, 10:27 AM)Mikey Wrote: He sells the excuse that Urbz held back his best laid plans, and Baalke nods knowingly. Baalke then gestures to Khan in a "just like I told you Urbz did with me" fashion, and Khan falls for it hook, line, and sinker...AGAIN.

I hope you're wrong, but like many of us on here, we've seen this in our own jobs/careers. It could happen.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(12-29-2021, 10:48 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 09:04 AM)MIJagsFan Wrote: I dont like the idea of bringing in a OC with a HOF QB, You don't know who's responsible for the success. Look at KC, all everyone was talking about the past couple of years was how great Mahomes is, while he's good, I think its Andy Reid. Reid seems to always get the most out of his QB's. Now that Bieniemy is calling the plays, Mahomes doesn't look the same. Why have people been calling for Bieniemy to get a HC gig? Same thing goes for Hackett and Leftwich, I am not saying these guys can't be good HC's but why? If you have an amazing QB does it really matter who the OC is? I would look for the OC's who make their QBs look better, who get the most out of them, like Reid. Find me an OC with an average QB doing great things, that's the guy that I want. Not the OC with a great QB doing amazing things. Take Caldwell, he did things with an average to above average QB in Detroit, or Pederson who had an average qb in both Wentz and Foles. Those are the guys who have done things.

Agree on Caldwell, but Reich was the reason for Wentz/Foles.  Case in point is Indy this year.

This might be true. I am not sold on Pederson.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(12-29-2021, 11:01 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 10:48 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Agree on Caldwell, but Reich was the reason for Wentz/Foles.  Case in point is Indy this year.

This might be true. I am not sold on Pederson.

Sames. There are a lot of question marks about his time there. When Reich left, Wentz did not maintain his level of performance, clashes with front office, tanking a game when he knew he was on the way out, etc. are all things that tarnish a reputation of leadership. More than anything, I want an HC who is going to be a leader.