Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Offseason Roster Moves

(03-04-2023, 11:00 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-04-2023, 04:48 PM)E.T. Wrote: Between DB and DL, I favor DL regarding a Higher NEED.
I would say Isiah Foskey and Antonio Johnson are on Baalke's radar at 24. Tyree Wilson and Lukas Van Ness as well. Kelee Ringo is another name to watch.

RD2 I am thinking they look at IDL. Gervon Dexter or Zaach Pickens wouldn't surprise me if there for us.

RD3 is where they might reach. I am thinking TE there or WR. I don't think they'll go guard nor tackle early. AT Perry, Andrei Iosvias, Sam LaPorta and Zack Kuntz are likely targets.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I think they have to come away with a Pass Rusher, CB and TE in the first 3 rounds. Our need and the talent/depth at those positions just seem to line up perfectly.

Earliest I'd take a WR is with one of the two 4th round picks, but even then you could easily go somewhere else with those two picks.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-04-2023, 11:17 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-04-2023, 11:00 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I would say Isiah Foskey and Antonio Johnson are on Baalke's radar at 24. Tyree Wilson and Lukas Van Ness as well. Kelee Ringo is another name to watch.

RD2 I am thinking they look at IDL. Gervon Dexter or Zaach Pickens wouldn't surprise me if there for us.

RD3 is where they might reach. I am thinking TE there or WR. I don't think they'll go guard nor tackle early. AT Perry, Andrei Iosvias, Sam LaPorta and Zack Kuntz are likely targets.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I think they have to come away with a Pass Rusher, CB and TE in the first 3 rounds. Our need and the talent/depth at those positions just seem to line up perfectly.

Earliest I'd take a WR is with one of the two 4th round picks, but even then you could easily go somewhere else with those two picks.

I agree we have needs in those areas, but add DL. Devon is really the only big guy we have. Good big guys do mot grow on trees.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I wouldn't disagree too much on Wide Receivers, however Smith-Njigba interests me. Another guy who seems universally popular with a lot of the draftniks and doesn't have much in the way of negatives at all but often going after the 24th pick (probably because of his injury) ... 

Its all intangibles of course but if the draft fell against us and especially if the front office felt his skills mesh well with the wide receivers we already have (especially if they felt he wasn't to similar to Kirk and Jones) he'd be another id put in the  category of get the best you can and be happy, especially if he started to slip towards us in round two.I

Haven't invested much time into this years draft class because i've been much more busy than usual.. so without really knowing much of the prospects, I will say this. I'd really like to see us find an interior DL that can actually get to the QB and disrupt the O line. I think this would be extremely beneficial not only to our defense but the development of Walker and perhaps even Josh Allen. If IDL isn't where we go at #24 i'd like to see us take the BPA on the interior of the O line.

(03-05-2023, 07:06 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Haven't invested much time into this years draft class because i've been much more busy than usual.. so without really knowing much of the prospects, I will say this. I'd really like to see us find an interior DL that can actually get to the QB and disrupt the O line. I think this would be extremely beneficial not only to our defense but the development of Walker and perhaps even Josh Allen. If IDL isn't where we go at #24 i'd like to see us take the BPA on the interior of the O line.

I mostly agree here. 
Crossing my fingers they select a player for each of those spots in the draft before the 4th round begins. 
For IDL - it is tough to land an impact player without moving up or finding a steal at #24. 
IOL still has a chance of value in the next round or two. 

Obviously, free agency could still alter this, but it's doubtful.

(03-05-2023, 04:03 AM)cat bells Wrote: I wouldn't disagree too much on Wide Receivers, however Smith-Njigba interests me. Another guy who seems universally popular with a lot of the draftniks and doesn't have much in the way of negatives at all but often going after the 24th pick (probably because of his injury) ... 

Its all intangibles of course but if the draft fell against us and especially if the front office felt his skills mesh well with the wide receivers we already have (especially if they felt he wasn't to similar to Kirk and Jones) he'd be another id put in the  category of get the best you can and be happy, especially if he started to slip towards us in round two.I

I doubt Smith-Njigba gets out of the first round and even he does there is no way he’ll be there in the second but I agree he is intriguing.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

As far as needs, I see it as:

Pass Rusher:  This team's defense was ranked 28th against the pass.  It'll be tough to win too much in the playoffs without changing that.  We need more interior pass rush.  That could be accomplished by either obtaining a good interior pass rusher or getting a good edge and using Walker more on the interior.  I prefer the latter, but not sure what direction the Jags are going.  I think there's a good chance we get this position in the first and if not, likely the second.

Offensive Line:  Left guard is our weakest position on offense.  Torrence would be a great pick in the first round if available.  I could also see the Jaguars drafting a tackle, playing him at left guard for one year and then moving to tackle when Cam is released after the 2023 season.

Slot Nickel Cornerback:  Technically, you could say it is the team's biggest need in that we have no one.  Herndon is a free agent and even if we bring him back, he sucks.  However, the positional value suggests that this pick most likely fits better as our third pick.  The only player that I like in the first would be Brian Branch.  He's more than a slot cornerback and extremely capable of being an every down player.  He would be excellent value in the first if we were to go that direction.

Tight End:  To me, this clearly falls below the positions above.  We have Engram.  We need depth and a guy for two tight end sets, but I don't like using a first or second round pick on that.  I would have tight end penciled in for the fourth round.  You have to be realistic about how many touches a second tight end would get considering we already have Ridley, Kirk, Jones, Engram and ETN.  One of those would have to be benched for this second tight end to even play.  This doesn't even include Agnew who we likely want to use in some situations.  Most of the snaps that the tight end did take would likely be for blocking purposes.  If so, I feel like we would get so much more bang for the buck with an offensive lineman who would be an every down blocker.  

Some positions that I think people over-rate include:

Outside Cornerback:  I thought Tyson Campbell was our best defensive player last year.  Darious Williams struggled in the slot but played excellent when moved to the outside.  There's virtually no cap savings if we cut Williams this year and he is signed for next year as well where I would want him back.  Yes, we need depth, but you draft depth on day 3 of the draft.   

Wide Receiver:  We have Ridley, Kirk, Z. Jones and Agnew.  The fifth spot is up for grabs, but that roster spot is often used on a low cost guy who can play special teams.  If it's purely a value pick, ok, but I don't see wide receiver as a priority for this team.

(03-05-2023, 02:28 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: As far as needs, I see it as:

Pass Rusher:  This team's defense was ranked 28th against the pass.  It'll be tough to win too much in the playoffs without changing that.  We need more interior pass rush.  That could be accomplished by either obtaining a good interior pass rusher or getting a good edge and using Walker more on the interior.  I prefer the latter, but not sure what direction the Jags are going.  I think there's a good chance we get this position in the first and if not, likely the second.

Offensive Line:  Left guard is our weakest position on offense.  Torrence would be a great pick in the first round if available.  I could also see the Jaguars drafting a tackle, playing him at left guard for one year and then moving to tackle when Cam is released after the 2023 season.

Slot Nickel Cornerback:  Technically, you could say it is the team's biggest need in that we have no one.  Herndon is a free agent and even if we bring him back, he sucks.  However, the positional value suggests that this pick most likely fits better as our third pick.  The only player that I like in the first would be Brian Branch.  He's more than a slot cornerback and extremely capable of being an every down player.  He would be excellent value in the first if we were to go that direction.

Tight End:  To me, this clearly falls below the positions above.  We have Engram.  We need depth and a guy for two tight end sets, but I don't like using a first or second round pick on that.  I would have tight end penciled in for the fourth round.  You have to be realistic about how many touches a second tight end would get considering we already have Ridley, Kirk, Jones, Engram and ETN.  One of those would have to be benched for this second tight end to even play.  This doesn't even include Agnew who we likely want to use in some situations.  Most of the snaps that the tight end did take would likely be for blocking purposes.  If so, I feel like we would get so much more bang for the buck with an offensive lineman who would be an every down blocker.  

Outside Cornerback:  I thought Tyson Campbell was our best defensive player last year.  Darious Williams struggled in the slot but played excellent when moved to the outside.  There's virtually no cap savings if we cut Williams this year and he is signed for next year as well where I would want him back.  Yes, we need depth, but you draft depth on day 3 of the draft.   

Wide Receiver:  We have Ridley, Kirk, Z. Jones and Agnew.  The fifth spot is up for grabs, but that roster spot is often used on a low cost guy who can play special teams.  If it's purely a value pick, ok, but I don't see wide receiver as a priority for this team.

I with agree nearly every word of this ^

Only difference is that I prefer an IDL pass rusher to an EDGE guy, but the way the draft falls will likely dictate which is better value at #24 (or 56.) So preference may not matter as much as what's available at their pick. 
I wouldn't want them to reach too far down for a DT if an EDGE falls to them they clearly rate higher. 

What they get done with Arden Key could play a role in how they prioritize this and whether they lean toward interior or edge. 

RE: OL and LG - I haven't checked out Torrence's tape beyond a few twitter threads, so I can't agree for disagree on that one.

(03-05-2023, 02:28 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: As far as needs, I see it as:

Yeah, If we come out of the first two rounds with a peachy lineman, one of the better tight ends and can find a steady nickel in the third this board might be as close to unanimously happy as we're ever likely to see!

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2023, 03:53 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Engram tagged

https://twitter.com/BThomps81/status/163...98912?s=20

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...43493?s=20

Nice nice

Top targets are official:

KIRK
RIDLEY
ZAY JONES
ENGRAM

It's a beautiful thing.
That's likely 3500+ yards of receiving right there.

Thank you, football gods.

I believe it is found in the book of Duvaleronomy - Chapter 16, verse 18:
"And thou shalt travel far and wide with great haste to spread the sacred pigskin. And through thine efforts, the glory of Duval may be revealed to the barren souls of our brothers and sisters abroad."

Amen.

(03-06-2023, 04:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Top targets are official:

KIRK
RIDLEY
ZAY JONES
ENGRAM

It's a beautiful thing.
That's likely 3500+ yards of receiving right there.

Thank you, football gods.

I believe it is found in the book of Duvaleronomy - Chapter 16, verse 18:
"And thou shalt travel far and wide with great haste to spread the sacred pigskin. And through thine efforts, the glory of Duval may be revealed to the barren souls of our brothers and sisters abroad."

Amen.

The next verse is equally important. Duvaleronomy 16:19
"And thou shalt smite the wretched titan with a mighty blow, yea, a blow that shall shake the entire Heavens and the Earth, and you shall cast his carcass down to the depths of Hell where he shall burn but not be consumed with unquenchable fire. He shall not escape the pit, but will abide there forever. Forever and Ever, Amen (Sayeth Randall Travis)"
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(03-06-2023, 03:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Engram tagged

I remember hearing either thru the media or in these forums that tagging might only be a temporary measure to retain him until a longer term contract can be achieved for maybe even less money than the franchise tag would allow in the 1st year. I don't know much about this, but it would be good to have him here longer term on a contract, yes? Input welcome, cause I don't know the ins and outs of this.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(03-06-2023, 04:27 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(03-06-2023, 03:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Engram tagged

I remember hearing either thru the media or in these forums that tagging might only be a temporary measure to retain him until a longer term contract can be achieved for maybe even less money than the franchise tag would allow in the 1st year.  I don't know much about this, but it would be good to have him here longer term on a contract, yes?  Input welcome, cause I don't know the ins and outs of this.

They can still continue negotiating for a multi year contract similar to what they did with Cam.

[Image: KIRK.png]

(03-06-2023, 04:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [Image: KIRK.png]

Etienne as well, weapons all over.  Not to mention we still have the draft

(03-06-2023, 04:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-06-2023, 04:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [Image: KIRK.png]

Etienne as well, weapons all over.  Not to mention we still have the draft

Now that Henry is being shopped around, could you imagine having him with this lineup too? ETN, Hasty, and Henry would be madness but it would take lots of money to get him here and there's bigger holes to fill

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2023, 05:56 PM by Caldrac.)

The offense looks stacked skill position wise. As much as I would really, really like to see them draft a guy like Darnell Washington. The odds of them doing so with the 24th overall selection or him falling to us with the 56th overall selection seem slim to none.

I think they have to start doing what the better teams do and that's get the heavy guys with light feet early and often on both sides of the football. It's all about trench warfare for us this off season. Whatever it takes to protect the QB and attack the QB is what needs to be on the table business wise and inside the war room.

If he's 6'4+ and tipping at least 275+ on defense or close to 300+ on offense? And you can move with reach? You're Baalke's guy. I will be stunned if the 24th overall pick and 56th overall pick go to any position outside of OT/OG/DE/DT.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-06-2023, 05:26 PM)WhyWouldYouPostThat Wrote:
(03-06-2023, 04:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Etienne as well, weapons all over.  Not to mention we still have the draft

Now that Henry is being shopped around, could you imagine having him with this lineup too? ETN, Hasty, and Henry would be madness but it would take lots of money to get him here and there's bigger holes to fill

It would be fun to see Henry running over Titans.