Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Offseason Roster Moves

(05-19-2023, 05:07 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(05-19-2023, 02:14 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Nothing particularly surprising here.  Good teams want to keep their roster together while really bad teams want to rebuild with new players.  We also had a lot of draft picks over the last couple of years and wanted to hang on to most of them to see if they can develop.  You also factor that the Jaguars spent more in free agency in 2022 than any other team.  There is usually a lot of dead money if you cut a player after only one year into a multi-year contract.  Our free agents also, as a whole, played well last year, so there was little reason to cut them.  You then factor in the salary cap situation.  The Jaguars came into the offseason over the cap.  As such, they didn't have much to spend on new players.  They did clear up some money, but I think they were reluctant to push too much salary dollars into 2024 given that Trevor would be eligible for a long-term extension plus other free agents will need to be signed including Ridley and possibly others such as Johs Allen.  All of this contributed to keeping largely the same roster together.

What are the odds Allen will pull a Taylor and have a career year? Rumor has it he has been working like mad and is now at a pretty tough training camp.

Man that would be great. I’m hoping Walker can double his sacks in his 2nd season. These 2 guys are going to be the key on defense.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...44064?s=20

I would in a second.

(05-23-2023, 11:42 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...44064?s=20

I would in a second.

Our incumbent at the position doesn't have the strongest leg, but isn't bad at all.  He's been accurate on FGs.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2023, 10:37 AM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-23-2023, 12:18 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 11:42 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...44064?s=20

I would in a second.

Our incumbent at the position doesn't have the strongest leg, but isn't bad at all.  He's been accurate on FGs.
I agree but McManus not only has a strong leg, he is the 4th most accurate kicker in the league from under 54.

(05-23-2023, 01:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-23-2023, 12:18 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Our incumbent at the position doesn't have the strongest leg, but isn't bad at all.  He's been accurate on FGs.
I agree but McManus not only has a strong leg, but is the 4th most accurate kicker in the league from under 54.

FTR, I am not necessarily opposed to bringing him in.

I'd want to know if he is healthy and accurate though.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Is he still on the PEDs? If so then we should pass.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-25-2023, 10:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...22504?s=20

LETS GO

Well there you go.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(05-25-2023, 10:35 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 10:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...22504?s=20

LETS GO

Well there you go.
Patterson was awesome down the stretch for the Jags but he was horrible on touchbacks (McManus excels at that) and he's got a big leg to go with being accurate. In the last 3 years, he's only missed 5 kicks from under 50 yards.

Good move. Now they need to sign a veteran pass rusher like Leonard Floyd.

Wow, sad to see Patterson go after he made the greatest kick in jaguars history.

(05-23-2023, 01:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Is he still on the PEDs? If so then we should pass.

Edit: Was Matt Prater not McManus. Good signing.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-25-2023, 10:41 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 10:35 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Well there you go.
Patterson was awesome down the stretch for the Jags but he was horrible on touchbacks (McManus excels at that) and he's got a big leg to go with being accurate. In the last 3 years, he's only missed 5 kicks from under 50 yards.

The guy had heart but he didn’t have the leg. He struggled at times and darn near missed the winning field goal against the Chargers. I appreciate what he’s done for us and hope the best for him

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2023, 11:00 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-25-2023, 10:53 AM)Jag88 Wrote: Wow, sad to see Patterson go after he made the greatest kick in jaguars history.

Barely.  

That was a chip shot, and he almost missed it.

He did make it though. Making a kick like that can do wonders for a kickers confidence. I’ll be sad to see him go. But yes, McManus clearly has a stronger leg.

McManus has a cannon for a leg. Patterson only missed one kick last year. We can nitpick how it was a near miss, etc. Bottomline. He kicked us into OT against the Cowboys and he kicked the game winner against the Chargers. My other thought process is this. If you're going after McManus. What does that say about our approach offensively? Will Doug be less aggressive now on 4th and short opportunities? I hope not. I liked his aggressiveness last year.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

What's left to do: Resolve Cam Robinson's future. The left tackle was sidelined at the end of the season by a meniscus injury. Even worse, he's now facing a multigame suspension for a violation of the league's policy on performance-enhancing drugs. A suspension would likely void Robinson's $16 million guaranteed salary in 2023.

Walker Little is projected to move to the left side, and the Jags used their first-round pick on Anton Harrison, who will play right tackle. If that's how things play out, it would be a surprise if they then benched Little upon Robinson's return, moved Little back to the right side, or kept a $16 million tackle on the bench to play as a swing tackle. There's not a ton left on the free agent market, but the Jags might be better off moving on from Robinson as a result of the suspension and targeting what's left to supplement the rest of their roster.

This is an interesting idea. If the suspension does void his 16 mil guaranteed I'd be all.for that plan.

(05-25-2023, 10:53 AM)Jag88 Wrote: Wow, sad to see Patterson go after he made the greatest kick in jaguars history.

Josh Scobee gonna smack you over the head with a five-iron

(Truth be told, it's still probably Morten Anderson)

Never liked Patterson as the Jag's kicker. It didn't make sense to me that out of so many division 1A schools we couldn't find a guy that is accurate, and has a stronger leg. The fact that we've got a seasoned kicker who has a stronger leg is definitely a win imo.

Sure...I don't want Dougie P to stop being aggressive...but 4th and 7 from the 38 yard line should be a solid opportunity at 3 points. IMO it was too much of a risk with Patterson. imo
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2023, 03:00 PM by rpr52121.)

Do the splits show McManus being just as good on the road versus as home? Just wondering if the Denver altitude didn't juice some of his hang time and distance?