Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Offseason Roster Moves

(05-01-2023, 02:13 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: While it seems obvious that they'll be adding FA pass rusher at this point (I still hope it's Justin Houston if we are going for cheap, Floyd if for a bit longer/or Arden Key contrat), what do you guys think happens with our LG spot?

With all the storylines from the draft this one hasn't been talked about much but the situation has basically stayed the same.
While pre-draft it seemed as bringing in Torrence was in play, we then didn't add another interior OL throughout the draft till Hodges who i think it's a G/OT.

Bartch is recovering, Shatley is usual depth....do you think they try to add to the group (Dalton Risner is still out there) or they'll roll out with the same group as last year? Move Cam Robinson inside once he is back? (I wouldn't be surprised if he won't play again for us and they'll look to trade him during the seasion)

I was hoping they'd add early in the draft for IOL help (Torrence in the second after Harrison would have really helped especially as Scherff has a history with injuries and a pick like that would have given us lots of flexibility).
I think LG is another neglected position like pass rusher and nickel.

Hoping that either Bartch is better than many think he will be or a late add FA guy will upgrade the spot. 

Of course there's a remote chance Cam ends up there post suspension, but that isn't anything to view positively in the big picture

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-30-2023, 05:26 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote:  I'm not a fan of bringing guys back when they had a big issue with the owner son...

We should start bringing him back even harder. You know what it means. That guy should stay kayfabe.

Bring back Yan! The young players would benefit from seeing the intensity that Yannick applies to his craft.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(05-02-2023, 05:44 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: Bring back Yan!  The young players would benefit from seeing the intensity that Yannick applies to his craft.

Yes

Todd Wash and Doug Marrone raved about his work ethic and locker room presence repeatedly. 

Very strange that many in the jags-twitter-verse try to portray him as a "bad teammate" when all we heard for years was the exact opposite. 

He wanted out of a bad situation organizationally and had a chip on his shoulder about money. 

Similar to the situation Budda Baker is in right now and most fans want to add him to our roster. So why not Ngakoue? 

I'd welcome him back in heartbeat. He'd produce in our situational pass defensive package. Without a doubt.

(05-02-2023, 06:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 05:44 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: Bring back Yan!  The young players would benefit from seeing the intensity that Yannick applies to his craft.

Yes

Todd Wash and Doug Marrone raved about his work ethic and locker room presence repeatedly. 

Very strange that many in the jags-twitter-verse try to portray him as a "bad teammate" when all we heard for years was the exact opposite. 

He wanted out of a bad situation organizationally and had a chip on his shoulder about money. 

Similar to the situation Budda Baker is in right now and most fans want to add him to our roster. So why not Ngakoue? 

I'd welcome him back in heartbeat. He'd produce in our situational pass defensive package. Without a doubt.

It Bortles the mind though that if he produces, has great work ethic and locker room chemistry, why hasn't he been re-upped by any of the teams he's played for?

I guess it could just be pursuit of paycheck, but it's just odd.

(05-02-2023, 06:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Yes

There's got to be a reason why no team wants to keep him.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-03-2023, 08:59 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 06:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yes

It Bortles the mind though that if he produces, has great work ethic and locker room chemistry, why hasn't he been re-upped by any of the teams he's played for?

(05-03-2023, 09:05 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 06:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yes

I've hashed this out a few times for the resident nonsensical Ngakoue-haturz club over the past year or two.

I think it's simple.

Teams constantly manage cap and positional roster expense. 
Yan is not an every down pass rusher. So he can become a luxury to teams with roster management inflexibility. 
So when a team finds an opportunity to draft a prospect who will be cheaper and play every down - they will replace him. They may also seek a more affordable situation in free agency.

MOST IMPORTANTLY HOWEVER: 
There are also the clear situations of coaching changes and/or scheme fits at various stops.

2020 vikings brought in Ngakoue because they lost Danielle Hunter to a neck injury for a whole season. They also had a struggling and under fire Mike Zimmer apparently at odds with a "threatening to retire" Gary Kubiak about what scheme to run defensively. Hunter came back and they drafted a 3rd round DE as well, so Ngakoue was out. 
2021 Vikes had a new DC. 

2020/21 Ravens - Ravens moved a third rounder picked in 2020 into the lineup for 2021 and selected a DE in the first round. Clearly looking to man the spot affordably. 

2022 Raiders - They went from a Gus Bradley 4-3 to a Patrick Graham 3-4. Bradley clearly was part of bringing Ngakoue in as he had him as a rookie in Jax. Bradley was out, Ngakoue was replaced as well. 

2022 colts - Well lookie here, who was the coordinator? Bingo, Gus Bradley. Now, do I really need to break down the debacle of the colts 2022 season and explain any roster fallout as a result of that regime change? 

Anyway, it may be weird to turn into a one year per team journeyman, and you may be tempted to say he followed Bradley around the past two years, but he also gave Gus Bradley 19.5 sacks over the past two years, and the team situations laid out above explain roster changes on defense that may otherwise not occur.

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2023, 03:35 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-03-2023, 11:30 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-03-2023, 08:59 AM)Mikey Wrote: It Bortles the mind though that if he produces, has great work ethic and locker room chemistry, why hasn't he been re-upped by any of the teams he's played for?

(05-03-2023, 09:05 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

I've hashed this out a few times for the resident nonsensical Ngakoue-haturz club over the past year or two.

I think it's simple.

Teams constantly manage cap and positional roster expense. 
Yan is not an every down pass rusher. So he can become a luxury to teams with roster management inflexibility. 
So when a team finds an opportunity to draft a prospect who will be cheaper and play every down - they will replace him. They may also seek a more affordable situation in free agency.

MOST IMPORTANTLY HOWEVER: 
There are also the clear situations of coaching changes and/or scheme fits at various stops.

2020 vikings brought in Ngakoue because they lost Danielle Hunter to a neck injury for a whole season. They also had a struggling and under fire Mike Zimmer apparently at odds with a "threatening to retire" Gary Kubiak about what scheme to run defensively. Hunter came back and they drafted a 3rd round DE as well, so Ngakoue was out. 
2021 Vikes had a new DC. 

2020/21 Ravens - Ravens moved a third rounder picked in 2020 into the lineup for 2021 and selected a DE in the first round. Clearly looking to man the spot affordably. 

2022 Raiders - They went from a Gus Bradley 4-3 to a Patrick Graham 3-4. Bradley clearly was part of bringing Ngakoue in as he had him as a rookie in Jax. Bradley was out, Ngakoue was replaced as well. 

2022 colts - Well lookie here, who was the coordinator? Bingo, Gus Bradley. Now, do I really need to break down the debacle of the colts 2022 season and explain any roster fallout as a result of that regime change? 

Anyway, it may be weird to turn into to a one year per team journeyman, and you may be tempted to say he followed Bradley around the past two years, but he also gave Gus Bradley 19.5 sacks over the past two years, and the team situations laid out above explain roster changes on defense that may otherwise not occur.

That’s a lot of sacks especially compared to anyone on the jags defense. Just saying

(05-01-2023, 05:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 02:13 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: While it seems obvious that they'll be adding FA pass rusher at this point (I still hope it's Justin Houston if we are going for cheap, Floyd if for a bit longer/or Arden Key contrat), what do you guys think happens with our LG spot?

With all the storylines from the draft this one hasn't been talked about much but the situation has basically stayed the same.
While pre-draft it seemed as bringing in Torrence was in play, we then didn't add another interior OL throughout the draft till Hodges who i think it's a G/OT.

Bartch is recovering, Shatley is usual depth....do you think they try to add to the group (Dalton Risner is still out there) or they'll roll out with the same group as last year? Move Cam Robinson inside once he is back? (I wouldn't be surprised if he won't play again for us and they'll look to trade him during the seasion)

I was hoping they'd add early in the draft for IOL help (Torrence in the second after Harrison would have really helped especially as Scherff has a history with injuries and a pick like that would have given us lots of flexibility).
I think LG is another neglected position like pass rusher and nickel.

Hoping that either Bartch is better than many think he will be or a late add FA guy will upgrade the spot. 

Of course there's a remote chance Cam ends up there post suspension, but that isn't anything to view positively in the big picture

Going into the draft, Edge, RT, LG, and CB were glaring needs. Only RT was sufficiently addressed because Trent's extra picks to trade up plan failed; hence, a bunch of undrafted rookies and late-rounders will compete to fill the three glaring needs. 

I think a couple vet stopgaps on one-year deals could remedy this problem:  
  • E.g., Edge Ngakoue/Houston (no to out-of-gas Clark) and CB Rock Ya-Sin (move Williams back inside if Herndon/rookie struggles in preseason)
  • Cam could play LG after his suspension if Bartch/rookie struggles in first few games 

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2023, 08:55 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

Need to try to get Floyd

(05-03-2023, 01:23 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 05:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think LG is another neglected position like pass rusher and nickel.

Going into the draft, Edge, RT, LG, and CB were glaring needs. Only RT was sufficiently addressed because Trent's extra picks to trade up plan failed; hence, a bunch of undrafted rookies and late-rounders will compete to fill the three glaring needs. 

• E.g., Edge Ngakoue/Houston (no to out-of-gas Clark) and CB Rock Ya-Sin (move Williams back inside if Herndon/rookie struggles in preseason)
  • Cam could play LG after his suspension if Bartch/rookie struggles in first few games 

Baalke obviously mis-judged how much it would take to move up! Instead of possibly adding Keion White via trading-up in round 2 and Clark Phillips in round 4, the team must now likely over-pay free agents at these 2 positions. He has no choice, however, and better not try to get too cute or he'll miss out again and the team will be left with Herndon at nickel and an insufficient pass rush.

(05-04-2023, 11:15 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(05-03-2023, 01:23 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Going into the draft, Edge, RT, LG, and CB were glaring needs. Only RT was sufficiently addressed because Trent's extra picks to trade up plan failed; hence, a bunch of undrafted rookies and late-rounders will compete to fill the three glaring needs. 

Baalke obviously mis-judged how much it would take to move up! Instead of possibly adding Keion White via trading-up in round 2 and Clark Phillips in round 4, the team must now likely over-pay free agents at these 2 positions. He has no choice, however, and better not try to get too cute or he'll miss out again and the team will be left with Herndon at nickel and an insufficient pass rush.

I think it's clear that they are perfectly fine with Herdon starting at nickel.

(05-04-2023, 07:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 11:15 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Baalke obviously mis-judged how much it would take to move up! Instead of possibly adding Keion White via trading-up in round 2 and Clark Phillips in round 4, the team must now likely over-pay free agents at these 2 positions. He has no choice, however, and better not try to get too cute or he'll miss out again and the team will be left with Herndon at nickel and an insufficient pass rush.

I think it's clear that they are perfectly fine with Herdon starting at nickel.

I'd like to think their more competent than that.

(05-09-2023, 06:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/clayharbs82/status/1...87746?s=20

Clay Harbor is doing a pretty good job of trying to stay relevant and carve out an editorial voice in the Jags and bears orbits. Seems like a real likable guy. 

His takes and perspective are by and large pretty weak IMO, however. 

This isn't really a "good move or bad move" situation. 
They brought back most of their roster because they have lots of youth, they are an ascending team with limited positions in desperate need, and because the vets under contract have out-clauses or terminations spread out over the next 3 years. 

Like almost every team, they addressed as many spots as they could with the cap and draft capital available. 

The only teams who have big turnover are the ones rebuilding and we clearly are not doing that.

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2023, 06:00 PM by Cleatwood. Edited 2 times in total.)

Never mind hahaha

(05-10-2023, 09:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-09-2023, 06:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/clayharbs82/status/1...87746?s=20

Clay Harbor is doing a pretty good job of trying to stay relevant and carve out an editorial voice in the Jags and bears orbits. Seems like a real likable guy. 

His takes and perspective are by and large pretty weak IMO, however. 

This isn't really a "good move or bad move" situation. 
They brought back most of their roster because they have lots of youth, they are an ascending team with limited positions in desperate need, and because the vets under contract have out-clauses or terminations spread out over the next 3 years. 

Like almost every team, they addressed as many spots as they could with the cap and draft capital available. 

The only teams who have big turnover are the ones rebuilding and we clearly are not doing that.

Does he have a brother named Lance?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Nothing particularly surprising here.  Good teams want to keep their roster together while really bad teams want to rebuild with new players.  We also had a lot of draft picks over the last couple of years and wanted to hang on to most of them to see if they can develop.  You also factor that the Jaguars spent more in free agency in 2022 than any other team.  There is usually a lot of dead money if you cut a player after only one year into a multi-year contract.  Our free agents also, as a whole, played well last year, so there was little reason to cut them.  You then factor in the salary cap situation.  The Jaguars came into the offseason over the cap.  As such, they didn't have much to spend on new players.  They did clear up some money, but I think they were reluctant to push too much salary dollars into 2024 given that Trevor would be eligible for a long-term extension plus other free agents will need to be signed including Ridley and possibly others such as Johs Allen.  All of this contributed to keeping largely the same roster together.

Pug Dederson t-shirts.

https://twitter.com/AsherGrodman/status/...28801?s=20

(05-19-2023, 02:14 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:

Nothing particularly surprising here.  Good teams want to keep their roster together while really bad teams want to rebuild with new players.  We also had a lot of draft picks over the last couple of years and wanted to hang on to most of them to see if they can develop.  You also factor that the Jaguars spent more in free agency in 2022 than any other team.  There is usually a lot of dead money if you cut a player after only one year into a multi-year contract.  Our free agents also, as a whole, played well last year, so there was little reason to cut them.  You then factor in the salary cap situation.  The Jaguars came into the offseason over the cap.  As such, they didn't have much to spend on new players.  They did clear up some money, but I think they were reluctant to push too much salary dollars into 2024 given that Trevor would be eligible for a long-term extension plus other free agents will need to be signed including Ridley and possibly others such as Johs Allen.  All of this contributed to keeping largely the same roster together.

What are the odds Allen will pull a Taylor and have a career year? Rumor has it he has been working like mad and is now at a pretty tough training camp.
A new broom always sweeps clean.