Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kavanaugh confirmation hearing

(09-25-2018, 11:50 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 08:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: TDS for sure. I think it was TJBender yesterday saying TDS was just something madeup from the right. It's not.
Man, I can tell you one thing. If people harassed my wife or me like that when were out somewhere it is going to get ugly quick. I'll be locked up, at least one if not more of them will be hospitalized if within my power and my wife will have to screw with all the bail crap.

Promising to retaliate to words with physical harm shows weakness, not strength.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-25-2018, 12:20 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 11:50 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Man, I can tell you one thing. If people harassed my wife or me like that when were out somewhere it is going to get ugly quick. I'll be locked up, at least one if not more of them will be hospitalized if within my power and my wife will have to screw with all the bail crap.

Promising to retaliate to words with physical harm shows weakness, not strength.

I guess we can't all be as peaceful at ANTIFA.

(09-25-2018, 08:04 AM)Jagwired Wrote: The ironic thing is that both the left and right side of the isle cannot see that this type of activity is the very reason that the hated Trump is even in office. Tax paying citizens are tired of the same ole D.C. Trump was elected because of this type of display of political pettiness and insincerity. The whole damn thing is a blatant waste of tax payer dollars and a complete affront to sensible people.

Your error here is assuming that the way you remember feeling back in November 2016 is the same way others felt and the same way they feel now. 
"Voters in key swing States preferred Trump" is a fact. 
"They did it because... " is an opinion.
"Sex sells" is a fact.
"The American media is focused on profits and will amplify any sex scandal to be more than it really is," is another fact.
In light of these two facts, our elected officials will always have to feign concern about any sexual allegation until the American public either becomes less facsinated with sex or the media becomes less craven in how they seek profits, regardless of what some guy on a sports message board thinks the "message" of a given election was

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2018, 12:35 PM by jj82284.)

(09-25-2018, 12:29 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 08:04 AM)Jagwired Wrote: The ironic thing is that both the left and right side of the isle cannot see that this type of activity is the very reason that the hated Trump is even in office. Tax paying citizens are tired of the same ole D.C. Trump was elected because of this type of display of political pettiness and insincerity. The whole damn thing is a blatant waste of tax payer dollars and a complete affront to sensible people.

Your error here is assuming that the way you remember feeling back in November 2016 is the same way others felt and the same way they feel now. 
"Voters in key swing States preferred Trump" is a fact. 
"They did it because... " is an opinion.
"Sex sells" is a fact.
"The American media is focused on profits and will amplify any sex scandal to be more than it really is," is another fact.
In light of these two facts, our elected officials will always have to feign concern about any sexual allegation until the American public either becomes less facsinated with sex or the media becomes less craven in how they seek profits, regardless of what some guy on a sports message board thinks the "message" of a given election was

I think that there is a real possibility that voters will punish the dems if they feel like this was just some insincere smear job.

Another thing most people aren't talking about; there are still timeless clips of clearance thomas that u just play over and over again because their forceful engaging and convincing. Cavanaugh has to step up his game. He looks sincere but he has to be more memorable than the potential accusers.

(09-25-2018, 11:50 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 08:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: TDS for sure. I think it was TJBender yesterday saying TDS was just something madeup from the right. It's not.
Man, I can tell you one thing. If people harassed my wife or me like that when were out somewhere it is going to get ugly quick. I'll be locked up, at least one if not more of them will be hospitalized if within my power and my wife will have to screw with all the bail crap.

(09-25-2018, 11:50 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Man, I can tell you one thing. If people harassed my wife or me like that when were out somewhere it is going to get ugly quick. I'll be locked up, at least one if not more of them will be hospitalized if within my power and my wife will have to screw with all the bail crap.

I think it’s reasonable to believe, if an angry crowd surrounds you, they may intend to harm you. I don’t see it as retaliation if you fear they may harm you or your wife.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2018, 01:38 PM by mikesez.)

(09-25-2018, 12:26 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 12:20 PM)mikesez Wrote: Promising to retaliate to words with physical harm shows weakness, not strength.

I guess we can't all be as peaceful at ANTIFA.

Some ANTIFA don't cross the line from shouting at people to beating them up or spraying them with mace.  Some of them do. 

There are things that only law enforcement should do in polite society: give the first shove, throw the first punch, and block escape routes.   If you find yourself doing any of those things while not wearing a badge, you are probably in the wrong and liable to prosecution.  It's very simple.  Shouting profanity is not on the list.  Sticks and stones, remember?

(09-25-2018, 12:41 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:

(09-25-2018, 12:20 PM)mikesez Wrote: Promising to retaliate to words with physical harm shows weakness, not strength.

I think it’s reasonable to believe, if an angry crowd surrounds you, they may intend to harm you. I don’t see it as retaliation if you fear they may harm you or your wife.

If you are actually surrounded, yes, you may have to shove some people to get out.  If you're not actually surrounded, take the opportunity to leave.  Yes it sucks that crowds can decide to exclude famous or infamous people from public spaces, but, throwing a punch at hecklers isn't going to improve that situation.  Leave politely, THEN speak against it and shame the owner.  Exactly what Cruz did.

(09-25-2018, 12:32 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 12:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: snip

I think that there is a real possibility that voters will punish the dems if they feel like this was just some insincere smear job.

I agree. If the perception among independents and the "anyone but Trump" crowd is that Democrats ran a coordinated smear campaign to block Kavanaugh, I'd venture to guess a lot of them will just stay home. I don't think you'll see people who were going to vote D voting R instead, but you will see people staying home because, deep down, politicians are all scum.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2018, 05:09 PM by jj82284.)

(09-25-2018, 02:22 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 12:32 PM)jj82284 Wrote: I think that there is a real possibility that voters will punish the dems if they feel like this was just some insincere smear job.

I agree. If the perception among independents and the "anyone but Trump" crowd is that Democrats ran a coordinated smear campaign to block Kavanaugh, I'd venture to guess a lot of them will just stay home. I don't think you'll see people who were going to vote D voting R instead, but you will see people staying home because, deep down, politicians are all scum.

I'm not so sure.  People like peace and prosperity.  The economy is roaring and the biggest disruption is the weekly sideshow from the left.  I think there are a lot of people who will actively vote against this ittiration of the left.

Thanks for your opinion on the matter. Opinion being the key word. Some would say cowering from the situation shows weakness. Some will let their loved ones be assaulted. Some, like me will not. Different strokes for different folks as they say.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Where is the Democrat outcry at this level of incivility?

Where the hell is the staff to throw those non paying trespassers out on their [BLEEP]?

(09-25-2018, 03:04 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Where the hell is the staff to throw those non paying trespassers out on their [BLEEP]?

Most establishments are scared to death of a David Hogg driven protest.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2018, 03:54 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

(09-25-2018, 01:35 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 12:26 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I guess we can't all be as peaceful at ANTIFA.

(09-25-2018, 12:41 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I think it’s reasonable to believe, if an angry crowd surrounds you, they may intend to harm you. I don’t see it as retaliation if you fear they may harm you or your wife.

If you are actually surrounded, yes, you may have to shove some people to get out.  If you're not actually surrounded, take the opportunity to leave.  Yes it sucks that crowds can decide to exclude famous or infamous people from public spaces, but, throwing a punch at hecklers isn't going to improve that situation.  Leave politely, THEN speak against it and shame the owner.  Exactly what Cruz did.

I simply disagree.

If you get in my face, like some of them did, and you start screaming at me. I don't see a problem with anyone that views that as threatening. Cruz did what he had to do to maintain a positive public image. You seem to just dismiss what they did as a consequence of being famous. It's like you think there shouldn't be resistance to the left's resistance. It is threatening behavior, and it shouldn't be tolerated. The owner of the restaurant isn't at fault here. They were telling them to leave but they refused. It's unfortunate that they weren't physically removed.

(09-25-2018, 02:43 PM)Jagwired Wrote:
Thanks for your opinion on the matter. Opinion being the key word. Some would say cowering from the situation shows weakness. Some will let their loved ones be assaulted. Some, like me will not. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

If both you and the people you are protecting, like your wife, are able to leave, there is no benefit to fighting.  Leaving is by far the best choice.  If they try to prevent you from leaving, or follow you, that's a different matter and you have to retaliate in self-defense.  Anyone who thinks differently has a skewed vision of manliness. 
It's very simple.
Don't start nothing, won't be nothing.
If no one throws the first punch, there are no punches.
If no one makes the first shove, there is no shoving.
Do only what you need to do to keep you and your family safe.
If you adopt any other ethic, you are the menace to society, as much as you may blame it on others.

(09-25-2018, 03:23 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 02:43 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Thanks for your opinion on the matter. Opinion being the key word. Some would say cowering from the situation shows weakness. Some will let their loved ones be assaulted. Some, like me will not. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

If both you and the people you are protecting, like your wife, are able to leave, there is no benefit to fighting. 

Wrong, a broken nose is a fine lesson for these interlopers. Just because you want to give peace a chance doesn't mean everyone else has to. If I'm eating a meal and they disrupt my privacy then they are stealing from me and deserve what they get.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-25-2018, 03:23 PM)mikesez Wrote: If both you and the people you are protecting, like your wife, are able to leave, there is no benefit to fighting.  Leaving is by far the best choice.  If they try to prevent you from leaving, or follow you, that's a different matter and you have to retaliate in self-defense.  Anyone who thinks differently has a skewed vision of manliness. 
It's very simple.

If you adopt any other ethic, you are the menace to society, as much as you may blame it on others.

To the emphasized we agree. We seem to disagree as to when it started. IMO it started the second those people entered the establishment with no other intent but to verbally assault and harass someone. Some people as myself will not allow kooks and loons to dictate whether or not I stay where I intended and planned to be.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2018, 04:10 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

(09-25-2018, 03:23 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 02:43 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Thanks for your opinion on the matter. Opinion being the key word. Some would say cowering from the situation shows weakness. Some will let their loved ones be assaulted. Some, like me will not. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

If both you and the people you are protecting, like your wife, are able to leave, there is no benefit to fighting.  Leaving is by far the best choice.  If they try to prevent you from leaving, or follow you, that's a different matter and you have to retaliate in self-defense.  Anyone who thinks differently has a skewed vision of manliness
It's very simple.

I'm for preventing something before it happens. I'm not comfortable allowing people (especially men) standing in my 5'00'' wife's face while screaming, cussing, and throwing their hands in her face. I'm usually pretty reserved, but I'm more comfortable punching them in the face than standing idly by as their group gets angrier and grows more irrational. My vision of manliness is protecting my wife and daughter. Your's can be allowing them to get bullied, but your definition of manliness isn't mine.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not going to go straight into punching someone, but I saw several times when Cruz would've been justified.

As for the second group of highlighted text, that's entirely your opinion and may not actually reflect each situation. I'm curious when you'd actually defend yourself if you wouldn't ever throw the first punch.

(09-25-2018, 04:09 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 03:23 PM)mikesez Wrote: If both you and the people you are protecting, like your wife, are able to leave, there is no benefit to fighting.  Leaving is by far the best choice.  If they try to prevent you from leaving, or follow you, that's a different matter and you have to retaliate in self-defense.  Anyone who thinks differently has a skewed vision of manliness
It's very simple.

I'm for preventing something before it happens. I'm not comfortable allowing people (especially men) standing in my 5'00'' wife's face while screaming, cussing, and throwing their hands in her face. I'm usually pretty reserved, but I'm more comfortable punching them in the face than standing idly by as their group gets angrier and grows more irrational. My vision of manliness is protecting my wife and daughter. Your's can be allowing them to get bullied, but your definition of manliness isn't mine.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not going to go straight into punching someone, but I saw several times when Cruz would've been justified.

As for the second group of highlighted text, that's entirely your opinion and may not actually reflect each situation. I'm curious when you'd actually defend yourself if you wouldn't ever throw the first punch.

The wife does really complicate things, I will admit.  As a man you have a responsibility to keep her safe more than you keep yourself safe.  I'm emphasizing that you should look for a way to leave, but, when you find it, you should make sure she can be safely removed from the situation along with you.  That can be hard to do and it can be hard to think under pressure. There may be a way out for both of you or a way to de-escalate it, but maybe you did not see it or you did not trust your ability to continue protecting her while the two of you tried to leave, or you didn't feel you had enough time to think it through.  
Bad stuff can happen when it didn't need to happen.  You don't necessarily have to feel guilty for throwing the first punch, especially in the heat of the moment, but, you shouldn't feel proud of it either.
I got the impression that some of you would be proud to throw the first punch.  That's wrong.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2018, 04:57 PM by Kane.)

While I agree with the premise here... that physical violence should never be the retaliation to words (of any sort, in any situation) the harassment some people face today over the ridiculous political environment is obscene and those people should probably be charged with disturbing the peace or something.
I'm a big believer in free speech but c'mon man... verbally attacking people in public and impeding their right (and their family's rights) to live peacefully can't be allowed

(09-25-2018, 08:39 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Here or TDS thread?

https://twitter.com/SmashRacismDC/status...video.html

Same thread, no?
I mean.... any thread mentioning Trump, D.C. and/or GOP will likely result in someone displaying some signs of TDS

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2018, 05:17 PM by homebiscuit.)

Ted Cruz is a public servant and the face of a political party. Public protest, no matter how annoying or intrusive, is part of the job. Were these turds seeking out private citizens to meddle with, then it would be a different story.