Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Colin Kaepernick and the NFL reach settlement

(02-21-2019, 03:09 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 02:19 PM)JackCity Wrote: huh,Bortles has looked like a bottom 5 QB in 3 different seasons, Kap has looked like a starter in all but one, even when he didn't have anything around him in 2016. That isn't comparable.

I disagree. I'm not going to make this into a pro-Bortles thread because I'm ready to move on from him too. Bortles's reputation is exaggerated. He's had bottom-5 stretches of games, but he's also had top-5 stretches. He's not a good QB, but he's not as bad as people pretend him to be, either. He's mostly middle-of-the-road. He certainly hasn't been bottom-5 throughout 3 different entire seasons.

Y'all must forget that Kaep had games I feel is worse than anything Bortles had. His 2015 Cardinals game ended with a 9/19 for 67 yards and 4 INTs. A sub-150 YPG, 4-5 YPA, or 50% game was not uncommon for post-2014 Kaep. 

(02-20-2019, 03:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: No, admittedly I don't know what's required for collusion cases, but I also wouldn't assume his case would justify an estimated $60M settlement. A number, if true, is likely significantly less than what he asked. I don't pretend to know if his case is text book collusion, but that's also partly why I said I don't understand why it was allowed to continued. Similarly, I'd ask if you know (and how you know) if his case is one of collusion. It's difficult to understand your first and second points since I don't know of any other instances in sports where collusion was cited. 

I think you may be confusing my point.

I never said he didn't belong in the NFL. I do believe teams avoided him because of his protesting, but I believe teams use personal reasons to avoid players. If he was good enough to overlook his protesting, I don't doubt he'd still be on a team. My stance is that he's overrated and hasn't produced a season worthy of praise. He had a couple decent seasons. However, like how you contribute some of their failures to their defense, I contribute some of their success to the defense.

Defensive rankings:
2012--3rd
2013--5th
2014--10th
2015--29th
2016--32nd

I think this hurts your stance. They were only good when their defense was good. Kaep was just good enough to take advantage of that, but he wasn't good enough to overcome it.
(Emphasis added)

I will not go into the case law regarding collusion, other than to say there were plenty of collusion cases in the major league baseball context. I would also add Kaepernick's attorney is a long time and famous attorney.  I'm betting he researched the proper cause9s) of action before filing suit.

As to the portion in bold, I would like to point out a few things:

1.  Alex Smith had the same defense and still couldn't reach the Super Bowl.  Kaepernick did reach the Super bowl with the same team.  Admittedly, I haveb't taken an inventory (physical or mental) of your posts, nor have I utilized the search feature, but I do not recall any decrees from you lamenting the overrated status of Alex Smith.

2.  During his last season with the 49ers, Kaepernick had a 16-4 TD-INT ratio.  How can he be blamed for the failure of the defense?  How can he be blamed for Gabbert's failures?  Gabbert started ten (10) fewer games and threw two more INTs than Kaepernick. I think the premise that Kaep was only good when the defense was good is false.

On a related note, how much is a QB supposed to overcome?  If you have a star caliber QB and the rest of the team stinks, should the star QB take the blame if the team does not have a winning record?  Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan have made pro Bowls and Super Bowls, but both finished with losing records this past season.  Does this mean they are no longer good QBs?

The mere filing of a lawsuit doesn't validate it's existence. 

1. Alex Smith is overrated, too. But he's far better than anything Kaep has ever been. I'm not sure I have to openly criticize someone to have an opinion. I wouldn't say what I'm doing with Kaep as lamenting, either. I simply think he's overrated, and he brings too much drama to justify his place on a team.

2. That's a decent TD-INT ratio. He was also had 59.2% and 186 YPG. The defense isn't solely responsible for their failures. The largest contributor? Sure. He didn't do anything to help his team... which is my point. He isn't a good QB. Because he isn't a good QB, he isn't worth the heartache. Your TD-INT ratio doesn't prove he was good. We know that, when given the burden of carrying the team, he failed miserably. Great defenses carry bad QBs all the time (Jags last year). What makes you think the 49ers were an exception?

3. I think a decent QB can at least achieve 62% and 220 YPG in today's NFL. The standard that a good QB must win a pro-bowl or Superbowl is one you set. Kaep couldn't even consistently drive his offense downfield. Their bad defense didn't stop them from doing that.
[/quote]

Blake was one of the worst QBs in the league in 2014, 2016 and 2018. Backed up by stats and , more importantly, by watching him

Messages In This Thread
RE: Colin Kaepernick and the NFL reach settlement - by JackCity - 02-21-2019, 05:45 PM