Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(07-06-2020, 01:46 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 08:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Masks do not reduce oxygen levels.

Next. 

https://twitter.com/lennycurry/status/12...36321?s=20

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technol...-covid-19/

"Through the COVID-19 crisis, many have become familiar with N95 masks, which filter out 95 percent or more of small particulate matter from the air–including the virus," Xu said in a press statement. "But in filtering those particles, the mask also makes it harder to breathe. N95 masks are estimated to reduce oxygen intake by anywhere from 5 to 20 percent. That’s significant, even for a healthy person."

If masks didn't reduce oxygen, end of story, why are there people working on the solution to this problem?  You're going to ignore all the accounts of negative effects, some of which were shared here and ignore the science that shows negative effects?  I'm at least open to the idea masks are somewhat effective despite conflicting studies, but you're going to completely ignore any negative effects?  Fine, but you can't pretend to be objective.

UMMMMMM..... there is no mandate for the public to wear an N-95 mask!! 

Here - read this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fact...260106002/

Wearing a cloth or paper-based "surgical mask" not an N-95, is not going to negatively affect the respiration of anyone but a very young child or someone with severe respiratory illness. 

Even in the N-95 - negative affects are only felt after a prolonged period of time. 

How long are you inside the grocery store, exactly?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

BREAKING NEWS!

As Florida's COVID-19 cases rise, deaths and hospitalizations plummet

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(07-06-2020, 09:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 09:36 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So you still won't acknowledge it. Got it.

I acknowledged it by refuting it with fact.  No, you clearly didn't "get it." Which is why I keep insulting your intelligence.  

Orange, Seminole, Brevard and Volusia counties all reported contact tracing that led directly to bars and restaurants from their positive testing. DeSantis has since had the FLDOH remove that information from their website. 

Quote:News 6 contacted the Florida Department of Health locations in the nine Central Florida counties.

Four of them, Orange, Seminole, Brevard and Volusia, recorded local outbreaks that stemmed from drinking establishments.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/...uidelines/

(07-06-2020, 09:40 AM)Jagwired Wrote: The quicker the spread the faster the recovery. It is very simple. Herd immunity is the only way around this thing. It's been the same as long as humans have been evolving on this planet and will remain that way until the end of human evolution on this planet. If by chance we make it to another planet the same will go for there. Humans die from illness, sometime in masses and some times a trickle.

So - you just don't give a [BLEEP] that this ^ method will kill a few hundred thousand more people than social distancing would?

It's very obvious that the spread of this virus is happening through bars. People shouldn't argue that. On the flip side, it's almost certain that the disease is being spread via protest. Based on the studies, it may be plausible that it is not spreading as much during the day as it is at night, do to the lack of UV exposure. Either way, officials in LA, Miami, and Seattle have acknowledged this to be a factor in the uptick in cases. One of the problems my progressive friends should ask themselves is why some democratic leaders aren't asking whether or not people went to protests. Whether or not you think it's a cause, there is no reason not to be asking the question. 

The silver lining, if there is one to be had, is that it's primarily impacting younger people, which is why I believe we are seeing less deaths. Older people seem to have remained pretty insulated. I predict if there is in upswing in deaths, it will come a week or two from now. That's enough time for younger people to have infected the elderly.

The WHO recently said it was rare for asymptomatic carriers to infect others. This would definitely reduce the impact of the spread during protests, but it would also negate many of the social distancing and mask requirements. I don't think it's true, or, at the very least, they were careless in how they presented that data to the public. 

I really think our experts have done a piss poor job of systematically categorizing this illness and how it affects other. For the life of me, I can't understand why they have not made distinctions in deaths, such as died from Covid (where this was the primary cause of death) and died with Covid (where it caused possible complications to other life-threatening illness). If possible, it'd be nice to see how many of these people were likely to die anyways. Additionally, I'd like speculative deaths to be listed separately (where one is suspected to have died from Covid, but was never tested).  

When the average age of death is so high, the waters get muddied really quickly. I understand why people are afraid to die, and especially understanding of wanting to prevent unnecessary deaths, I am curious if some of this apprehension would be mitigated if people were given clear information. Again, broken record here, but this is the problem with a 24 hour, politicized news cycle. It's really hurting our nation, not just that it is giving us really unclear information, but because it is making enemies of us.

(07-06-2020, 02:18 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: BREAKING NEWS!

But are they ZERO?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2020, 02:52 PM by jagfan0728.)

(07-06-2020, 02:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 01:46 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote: https://www.popularmechanics.com/technol...-covid-19/

"Through the COVID-19 crisis, many have become familiar with N95 masks, which filter out 95 percent or more of small particulate matter from the air–including the virus," Xu said in a press statement. "But in filtering those particles, the mask also makes it harder to breathe. N95 masks are estimated to reduce oxygen intake by anywhere from 5 to 20 percent. That’s significant, even for a healthy person."

If masks didn't reduce oxygen, end of story, why are there people working on the solution to this problem?  You're going to ignore all the accounts of negative effects, some of which were shared here and ignore the science that shows negative effects?  I'm at least open to the idea masks are somewhat effective despite conflicting studies, but you're going to completely ignore any negative effects?  Fine, but you can't pretend to be objective.

UMMMMMM..... there is no mandate for the public to wear an N-95 mask!! 

Here - read this:

Wearing a cloth or paper-based "surgical mask" not an N-95, is not going to negatively affect the respiration of anyone but a very young child or someone with severe respiratory illness. 

Even in the N-95 - negative affects are only felt after a prolonged period of time. 

It seems we agree on N95 masks then.  As far as cloth masks, my sister-in-law complained of lightheadedness from a cloth mask in less than two hours of wear and some of the accounts of fatigue and passing out on here I believe are also from cloth masks, but those posters would have to clarify.

I'm more concerned about the people who have to wear them for prolonged periods at work because it is mandated.  Here is another study on N95 masks on pregnant women.  It showed metabolism was increased.  The body had to work harder to maintain oxygen level in the blood.  Why have I heard so many stories of people complaining of fatigue from wearing cloth masks?  This might explain it.

Conclusions: Breathing through N95 mask materials have been shown to impede gaseous exchange and impose an additional workload on the metabolic system of pregnant healthcare workers, and this needs to be taken into consideration in guidelines for respirator use. The benefits of using N95 mask to prevent serious emerging infectious diseases should be weighed against potential respiratory consequences associated with extended N95 respirator usage.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26579222/

Here is another interesting tidbit:

Very little good quality research exists on the use of cloth masks, especially in non-medical settings. One randomised controlled clinical trial of cloth masks, published in BMJ Open in 2015, compared their effectiveness with that of medical masks worn by hospital healthcare workers.2 The study, involving the industry partner 3M (which makes medical masks), reported that healthcare workers “should not use cloth masks as protection against respiratory infection. Cloth masks resulted in significantly higher rates of infection than medical masks, and also performed worse than the control arm.”

Cloth masks certainly wouldn't be as bad as N95 masks, but even a small negative effect would have a cumulative effect.  And the less they impeded breathing, the less effective they are anyways.  It goes both ways.

(07-06-2020, 02:18 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: BREAKING NEWS!

Overall hospitalization numbers can be misleading. 

Hospitalization is up markedly in the hard hit counties. Not every county is even reporting hospitalizations and DeSantis is attempting to gag the FL DOH on making the new numbers public. 
Only way to see new hospitalization numbers is when counties elect to make them public to the press. Most don't. 

Anyway  - the death rate is certainly down and it could be very good news - however we have yet to see how the recent spike of people mostly under 40 contracting the virus will affect the older people they've been in contact with and we have yet to see current positive cases find their way through risk. 

Not out of the woods just yet. 

Percent positives are up - deaths are down.  Neither have leveled out yet.

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2020, 03:49 PM by mal234.)

(07-06-2020, 02:19 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 09:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I acknowledged it by refuting it with fact.  No, you clearly didn't "get it." Which is why I keep insulting your intelligence.  

Orange, Seminole, Brevard and Volusia counties all reported contact tracing that led directly to bars and restaurants from their positive testing. DeSantis has since had the FLDOH remove that information from their website. 

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/...uidelines/

So - you just don't give a [BLEEP] that this ^ method will kill a few hundred thousand more people than social distancing would?

The WHO recently said it was rare for asymptomatic carriers to infect others. This would definitely reduce the impact of the spread during protests, but it would also negate many of the social distancing and mask requirements. I don't think it's true, or, at the very least, they were careless in how they presented that data to the public. 

I really think our experts have done a piss poor job of systematically categorizing this illness and how it affects other. For the life of me, I can't understand why they have not made distinctions in deaths, such as died from Covid (where this was the primary cause of death) and died with Covid (where it caused possible complications to other life-threatening illness). If possible, it'd be nice to see how many of these people were likely to die anyways. Additionally, I'd like speculative deaths to be listed separately (where one is suspected to have died from Covid, but was never tested).  

I think that could be true and believe there is definitely merit to the news about "superspreaders" of this illness that is out there. There are articles including this one below that talk about them and how one person can affect several people:

https://theconversation.com/a-few-supers...ses-139950

Researchers in Hong Kong said according to their studies they believed only 20% of people affected with COVID-19 were responsible for 80% of their transmissions. And that people who had larger social circles were more likely to infect more people. Which makes sense. I could see more social people, especially those with symptoms infecting people. And speaking of people with symptoms, I do believe that symptomatic people, (even if it's just people with milder symptoms) are infecting more people than what many people in the media are leading us to believe.

And I think that are a lot of people out there who are brushing aside that they are around people who are displaying milder symptoms like some coughing/sneezing. I'll use my own workplace as an example. I been around several people at work including co-workers, the past couple of months who have been sneezing/coughing. Some of them say it's allergies or affects of the masks. And it very well could be in a lot of cases. But maybe for at least a few it could be symptoms of the coronavirus. I don't know. But I have noticed that hardly anyone seems to worry about that, even when you have some people that cough/sneeze quite a bit in a day, (though, maybe not as much as someone with a severe case of the virus).

If I tested or someone at work tested positive for coronavirus, I could list several different people who could have technically been displaying milder symptoms (Coughing/sneezing) that could have led to that. Classifying it as something that happened as a result of asymptomatic transmission would be the last thing I would do. Heck, for people that don't still with a lot of people in the public, the next time you go out to a place like a department or a grocery store, just observe how many people cough/sneeze in public on a regular basis. It can be quite a few people that do that. And a lot of people still aren't thinking twice about that. One reason is because some people don't want to live in too much fear, which I understand, or maybe they think a lot of those people that are coughing/sneezing are just having natural reactions and may not neccesarily have COVID-19. And maybe some of them don't. I don't know. But technically they are shedding bodily fluids. 

I've been a bit suspicious of get go about the level of blame that people, especially the media wants to put on asymptomatic people, particularly younger asymptomatic people. The people accusing a lot of younger people of wanting to kill their grandmothers/taking home diseases to their grandmothers doesn't set well with me. Most young people are not trying to kill an elderly relative and many of them don't even live with their grandparents and have kept some distance since this crisis has worsened. And some of them don't even have living grandparents. I didn't have living grandparents in my 20's or even teens. Most of them passed away before I was born. I believe there are more Gen Xers living with elderly people than their are milennials/Z babies. If only because Gen Xers are more likely to be caregivers to aging parents. Yet I see a lot of people including Gen Xers claiming  younger people are taking things home to grandma, and I don't think that is the case with a lot of them. As we've seen a lot of the deaths of the elderly were due to being around other elderly (and sicker) people in places like nursing homes. Yet, there are many including those in the media who are resentful towards young people and love to blame them for just about everything including this illness. Even though there is still a lot of things that people aren't fully clear on.

I do think that people that are displaying symptoms even milder ones could be more likely to spread this disease than people that aren't displaying any symptoms. If only because a person not displaying symptoms may be less likely to transmit bodily fluids. A person that sneezes/coughs multiple times around other people, is more likely to spread it than an person who isn't doing that, or showing other symptoms. Granted a lot of people are saying people can transmit it through spit (or sweat), but just how strong is the likelihood of that,. And I think we might have even a lot more people being affected if that was really a major way to spread it. Especially given how much people (unintentionally) spit on people all of the time. I experience spittle every day at work as does a lot of people in their daily lives. I do wonder just how much this disease is infecting people in that way.

That's not to say asymptomatic people can't spread it, but I do think that too much blame may being placed on asymptomatic people. 

Also, I think that one reason a lot people (especially in the media) isn't distinguishing the deaths, largely because they want to create more fear mongering. They seem to like people being scared, as evidenced by the coronavirus death total chart that CNN displays every single day continuously on their channel. There are definitely reasons to be concerned about this disease, but a lot of the media likes to drum up the fear even more, especially the ones that seems to have agendas.

Well, early on, it was pretty well regarded that symptomatic people spread this much faster and that asymptomatic carriers were less likely to spread it (though they could infect more people over time since they would spend more time around one another). The presentation I watched by the WHO made it seem highly unlikely that any transmission at all to be spread by asymptomatic carriers, and I was reluctant to buy that. It does support some of the studies that show kids are not likely to spread this to each other. You make good points about mild cases being the major vehicle for the spread. Good article, btw. I agree with most of what you posted. Thanks.

(07-06-2020, 12:39 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 12:29 PM)JackCity Wrote: The Democrats being able to shutdown the entire country against the wishes of the president has been an impressive feat.... Especially for ones such as dumb and weak such as them... wait?!

It's really dumb governors and mayors who are the issue.

If you are cool with impacting people's livelihoods and driving some to suicide all in the name of politics, that is a "you" problem.

I blame Trump for choosing to shutdown the county and destroying the economy

(07-06-2020, 02:47 PM)jagfan0728 Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 02:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: UMMMMMM..... there is no mandate for the public to wear an N-95 mask!! 

Here - read this:

It seems we agree on N95 masks then.  As far as cloth masks, my sister-in-law complained of lightheadedness from a cloth mask in less than two hours of wear and some of the accounts of fatigue and passing out on here I believe are also from cloth masks, but those posters would have to clarify.

I'm more concerned about the people who have to wear them for prolonged periods at work because it is mandated.  Here is another study on N95 masks on pregnant women.  It showed metabolism was increased.  The body had to work harder to maintain oxygen level in the blood.  Why have I heard so many stories of people complaining of fatigue from wearing cloth masks?  This might explain it.

Conclusions: Breathing through N95 mask materials have been shown to impede gaseous exchange and impose an additional workload on the metabolic system of pregnant healthcare workers, and this needs to be taken into consideration in guidelines for respirator use. The benefits of using N95 mask to prevent serious emerging infectious diseases should be weighed against potential respiratory consequences associated with extended N95 respirator usage.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26579222/

Here is another interesting tidbit:

Very little good quality research exists on the use of cloth masks, especially in non-medical settings. One randomised controlled clinical trial of cloth masks, published in BMJ Open in 2015, compared their effectiveness with that of medical masks worn by hospital healthcare workers.2 The study, involving the industry partner 3M (which makes medical masks), reported that healthcare workers “should not use cloth masks as protection against respiratory infection. Cloth masks resulted in significantly higher rates of infection than medical masks, and also performed worse than the control arm.”

Cloth masks certainly wouldn't be as bad as N95 masks, but even a small negative effect would have a cumulative effect.  And the less they impeded breathing, the less effective they are anyways.  It goes both ways.

I have a mask that has a n95 filter inside, but also has one way valves. It is a lot better than those stupid cloth or surgical masks. I can barely breathe in those because of the hot air being trapped. With my mask, the valves expel the air and I'm able to breathe. If I was heavily working out it would still be a problem but just walking around is fine. Masks definitely are problems but if you can get one with valves, try that out.

(07-06-2020, 10:35 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/12...8156531712

Prove it.

(07-06-2020, 10:43 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 10:35 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/12...8156531712

Prove it.

Orlando sentinel says 5 hospitals in central Florida are at capacity, with about 15-20% of ICU beds overall still available.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2020, 10:59 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(07-06-2020, 10:50 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 10:43 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Prove it.

Orlando sentinel says 5 hospitals in central Florida are at capacity, with about 15-20% of ICU beds overall still available.

That isn't proof.

The Orlando Sentinal endorsed Clinton in 2016. Fake news publication.

Try again.

Orlando, whom is hosting the NBA restart has no ICU beds available. How can you people be so dense?

(07-06-2020, 10:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 10:50 PM)mikesez Wrote: Orlando sentinel says 5 hospitals in central Florida are at capacity, with about 15-20% of ICU beds overall still available.

That isn't proof.

Try again.

Orlando, whom is hosting the NBA restart has no ICU beds available. How can you people be so dense?

genuinely do feel sorry for you

(07-06-2020, 11:26 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 10:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: That isn't proof.

Try again.

genuinely do feel sorry for you

Ditto.

(07-06-2020, 10:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 10:50 PM)mikesez Wrote: Orlando sentinel says 5 hospitals in central Florida are at capacity, with about 15-20% of ICU beds overall still available.

That isn't proof.

Try again.

What source would you believe?

(07-07-2020, 05:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 10:57 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: That isn't proof.

Try again.

What source would you believe?

Disney is opening.  The NBA is relaunching. There is a presidential election in 4 months with an incumbent the media hates.

I trust my instincts Marty. My instincts. We are being lied to.

(07-07-2020, 07:16 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 05:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: What source would you believe?

Disney is opening.  The NBA is relaunching. There is a presidential election in 4 months with an incumbent the media hates.

There is no source of information that you would believe?  

If that is true, then aren't you living in a self-created fantasy?  How do you know what's going on in the world of there is no source of information you believe?

(07-07-2020, 07:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 07:16 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Disney is opening.  The NBA is relaunching. There is a presidential election in 4 months with an incumbent the media hates.

There is no source of information that you would believe?  

If that is true, then aren't you living in a self-created fantasy?  How do you know what's going on in the world of there is no source of information you believe?
He’s a Tomi bot.