Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Could the Jags/FO be looking for a trade?

(08-20-2017, 03:56 PM)JackCity Wrote: They should be but they won't. They don't mind losing this season.

Neither do I, if it benefits us in the long run. I'm looking at the big picture. Realistically, we're not a playoff team yet. What would trading away a high draft pick do, if it would only net us a so-so QB who could get us an 8-8 record at best? I'll tell you. It would handcuff us in the draft, where we might have a chance at getting a true franchise QB. Those guys don't grow on trees. I've seen what is out there as far as current NFL backup QB's and I would much rather take a gamble on the draft. Unless a team is willing to do a player for player trade, I stand pat. With that said, I am intrigued by Sean Mannion of the Rams and I wonder of they would trade him for a player or two on our roster, but if they would want draft picks, I'm not interested.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

8-8 season?! I'll take that in a heartbeat! If the Jags have an 8-8 season it means they are actually improving. You can find your future QB in many different ways but one thing this team can't afford is another 5-11 or 3-13 team. Can't do it anymore.

They need wins and if trading a 2nd round pick for Smith is what needs to happen then do it.

We sink or swim with what's on the roster. Nobody is coming in to learn a foreign system in a couple weeks time frame to take us to the promise land. Just not a bit logical.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-20-2017, 04:38 PM)Frailbones Wrote: 8-8 season?! I'll take that in a heartbeat! If the Jags have an 8-8 season it means they are actually improving. You can find your future QB in many different ways but one thing this team can't afford is another 5-11 or 3-13 team. Can't do it anymore.

They need wins and if trading a 2nd round pick for Smith is what needs to happen then do it.

If it was so easy, why have we been struggling to find a decent QB since Mark Brunell left? Why has Cleveland whiffed so many times? You act like these guys are growing on trees. I don't want a so-so QB. I want someone who can lead us to a Superbowl. If Alex Smith hasn't been able to lead a very talented Chiefs team to the "big game" yet, what makes you think he could do that with our roster?

(08-20-2017, 04:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 04:38 PM)Frailbones Wrote: 8-8 season?! I'll take that in a heartbeat! If the Jags have an 8-8 season it means they are actually improving. You can find your future QB in many different ways but one thing this team can't afford is another 5-11 or 3-13 team. Can't do it anymore.

If it was so easy, why have we been struggling to find a decent QB since Mark Brunell left? Why has Cleveland whiffed so many times? You act like these guys are growing on trees. I don't want a so-so QB. I want someone who can lead us to a Superbowl. If Alex Smith hasn't been able to lead a very talented Chiefs team to the "big game" yet, what makes you think he could do that with our roster?
I never said he could take us to the SB but what he can do is win games for us. He could also be a stop gap for when we do find the best QB (like what the Chiefs didn't with Mahomes). Another 3-13 season is worse for this franchise than going 8-8 with Alex Smith.

(08-20-2017, 04:48 PM)Frailbones Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 04:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If it was so easy, why have we been struggling to find a decent QB since Mark Brunell left? Why has Cleveland whiffed so many times? You act like these guys are growing on trees. I don't want a so-so QB. I want someone who can lead us to a Superbowl. If Alex Smith hasn't been able to lead a very talented Chiefs team to the "big game" yet, what makes you think he could do that with our roster?
I never said he could take us to the SB but what he can do is win games for us. He could also be a stop gap for when we do find the best QB (like what the Chiefs didn't with Mahomes). Another 3-13 season is worse for this franchise than going 8-8 with Alex Smith.

I don't want a stop gap and I don't want a QB who can "just win some games." I want someone who can win us a championship.

(08-20-2017, 04:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 04:48 PM)Frailbones Wrote: I never said he could take us to the SB but what he can do is win games for us. He could also be a stop gap for when we do find the best QB (like what the Chiefs didn't with Mahomes). Another 3-13 season is worse for this franchise than going 8-8 with Alex Smith.

I don't want a stop gap and I don't want a QB who can "just win some games." I want someone who can win us a championship.

8-8 sounds great when you're 3-13, but when 2021 rolls around and guys are getting old and you're still 8-8 watching elite passers going early while you tread water and never get over the hump then have another 4-5 years into 2025 of 5-11 seasons as what talent you had like ARob and Ramsey either move on or start getting old and needing replacement.

(08-20-2017, 04:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 04:48 PM)Frailbones Wrote: I never said he could take us to the SB but what he can do is win games for us. He could also be a stop gap for when we do find the best QB (like what the Chiefs didn't with Mahomes). Another 3-13 season is worse for this franchise than going 8-8 with Alex Smith.

The Jags will not be worse than the Jets, 49ers, Bears and possibly Bills.  

3 of those teams will need a QB and if you want Darnold, you'll need the top pick. So what's your plan?

To be clear, I'm not saying to trade next years 1 for Alex Smith.

(08-20-2017, 04:58 PM)Frailbones Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 04:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't want a stop gap and I don't want a QB who can "just win some games." I want someone who can win us a championship.
The Jags will not be worse than the Jets, 49ers, Bears and possibly Bills.  

3 of those teams will need a QB and if you want Darnold, you'll need the top pick. So what's your plan?

To be clear, I'm not saying to trade next years 1 for Alex Smith.

Who said we have to get Sam Darnold? Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph, Logan Whiteside and several other intriguing prospects could be available. This should be a much deeper QB class than in past seasons. My plan is to play out the season with what we have, see which QB's will be available in the draft and then position ourselves to draft the best available player.

(08-20-2017, 09:27 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I'm starting to notice a trend here.. What we "think" the Jags should do, hardly ever translates to what The Jags "will" do..

The crazy part is Jags fans and 1010 were questioning Jags decision on the Oline and QB situations.  And now it looks like the fans/1010 were right.  Hard to believe because I know Coughlin works hard and knows what he is doing, obviously, but man, the arm chair GM's have been right a lot.

(08-20-2017, 10:24 AM)JNev Wrote: Hundley for Yeldon and a 3rd. Get it done

You know we suck when even 1 fan is willing to give up our High 2nd round draft pick (Yeldon) a future High 3rd round pick for a person that was drafted Late in the 5th round and has career stats of 2 for 4  for 17 yards with 0 TDs and 1 INt.

(08-20-2017, 04:38 PM)B2hibry Wrote: We sink or swim with what's on the roster. Nobody is coming in to learn a foreign system in a couple weeks time frame to take us to the promise land. Just not a bit logical.

Are you sure about that?

-Signed Sam bradford

(08-20-2017, 02:57 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 02:29 PM)tealfootball Wrote:  
No, but it wouldn't do much good to throw some valuable picks and such towards a trade for someone that'll have to learn our system at the last minute either.  Same thing goes for any lackluster FA we happen to sign.

It's much more than having to learn a system, guys you get in trade will be backup QB level guys by definition. The Jaguars aren't as good as some people here seem to think, giving up picks for another Henne won't help anything at all.

Tom's not a moron and he's here for the long haul, not to worry about what happens in his first year. The Jaguars won't be pulling any trades unless something completely bizarre happens and another team wants to trade their actual franchise level QB, and I just don't see that happening.

Back-up QB level? So your saying that JG wouldn't start over BB or Henne? Your saying that Dak Prescott last year couldn't start over BB or Henne? Your saying that Rogers sat behind Favre for years and he couldn't start for us. No one knew what GB had in Rodgers, If they did they would have started him sooner. Kurt Warner was nothing until given the chance. Let's not even talk about the GOAT. There are many many examples that back-up QB's have been successful if given the chance.

(08-20-2017, 04:57 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 04:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't want a stop gap and I don't want a QB who can "just win some games." I want someone who can win us a championship.

8-8 sounds great when you're 3-13, but when 2021 rolls around and guys are getting old and you're still 8-8 watching elite passers going early while you tread water and never get over the hump then have another 4-5 years into 2025 of 5-11 seasons as what talent you had like ARob and Ramsey either move on or start getting old and needing replacement.

You can say that about any team and their best players. There are back-ups in the league right now that would be an upgrade to BB and Henne. If given the chance to run an offense 100% of the time. There are back-ups right now that have been brought up in this thread that could start over BB.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

No way Coughlin uses a draft pick on someone's back up QB when he can draft a better prospect in next years draft....If Coughlin were to use a draft pick now to get a QB, you can bet that will be our QB for the next 3 years

I think people are underestimating how good this team would be with a competent QB. Calias Campbell, Malik Jackson, Barry Church, and AJ Bouye aren't "win 4 years from now when our 1st rd pick QB develops" signings. Those are win now signings. I'm unbelievably uncomfortable wasting another year of Campbell and Jackson's prime years to take a rookie lottery pick next year. Something has to budge soon

(08-20-2017, 09:27 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I'm starting to notice a trend here.. What we "think" the Jags should do, hardly ever translates to what The Jags "will" do..

Duh.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

I highly doubt the front office will be looking for a trade when it comes to QB, but they would be smart to look for a trade by adding some much needed depth on the O-Line, particularly OG. Omameh looked fine against New England's backups, but when it came to blocking Gerald McCoy of the Bucs, he was getting "trucked". We're pencil thin on the interior anyway. This lead me to think. The Bills were already thin at WR after trading away Sammy Watkins. Then, Jordan Matthews getting injured in his first practice as a Bill and now Anquan Boldin has decided to retire. We have an abundance of solid WR talent. I say try and swing a deal to trade one of our receivers for OG/C Ryan Groy. He is their top backup interior lineman and is pushing for a starting job after starting the final 9 games at Center for Buffalo and performing very well. He played OG, C and OT at Wisconsin and would give us real competition for one of those starting OG positions.

(08-21-2017, 01:40 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I highly doubt the front office will be looking for a trade when it comes to QB, but they would be smart to look for a trade by adding some much needed depth on the O-Line, particularly OG. Omameh looked fine against New England's backups, but when it came to blocking Gerald McCoy of the Bucs, he was getting "trucked". We're pencil thin on the interior anyway. This lead me to think. The Bills were already thin at WR after trading away Sammy Watkins. Then, Jordan Matthews getting injured in his first practice as a Bill and now Anquan Boldin has decided to retire. We have an abundance of solid WR talent. I say try and swing a deal to trade one of our receivers for OG/C Ryan Groy. He is their top backup interior lineman and is pushing for a starting job after starting the final 9 games at Center for Buffalo and performing very well. He played OG, C and OT at Wisconsin and would give us real competition for one of those starting OG positions.

Of all the trade scenarios being flung about the board, I may like this one the best.  

I'd give them Greene and a fifth round pick for Groy.

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2017, 02:09 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-21-2017, 01:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 01:40 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I highly doubt the front office will be looking for a trade when it comes to QB, but they would be smart to look for a trade by adding some much needed depth on the O-Line, particularly OG. Omameh looked fine against New England's backups, but when it came to blocking Gerald McCoy of the Bucs, he was getting "trucked". We're pencil thin on the interior anyway. This lead me to think. The Bills were already thin at WR after trading away Sammy Watkins. Then, Jordan Matthews getting injured in his first practice as a Bill and now Anquan Boldin has decided to retire. We have an abundance of solid WR talent. I say try and swing a deal to trade one of our receivers for OG/C Ryan Groy. He is their top backup interior lineman and is pushing for a starting job after starting the final 9 games at Center for Buffalo and performing very well. He played OG, C and OT at Wisconsin and would give us real competition for one of those starting OG positions.

Of all the trade scenarios being flung about the board, I may like this one the best.  

I'd give them Greene and a fifth round pick for Groy.

At this point, I trade Marqise Lee straight up for Groy. With the emergence of Keelan Cole and Dede Westbrook, they could take his spot in a heartbeat and we'd miss nothing.

(08-20-2017, 04:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 03:56 PM)JackCity Wrote: They should be but they won't. They don't mind losing this season.

Neither do I, if it benefits us in the long run. I'm looking at the big picture. Realistically, we're not a playoff team yet. What would trading away a high draft pick do, if it would only net us a so-so QB who could get us an 8-8 record at best? I'll tell you. It would handcuff us in the draft, where we might have a chance at getting a true franchise QB. Those guys don't grow on trees. I've seen what is out there as far as current NFL backup QB's and I would much rather take a gamble on the draft. Unless a team is willing to do a player for player trade, I stand pat. With that said, I am intrigued by Sean Mannion of the Rams and I wonder of they would trade him for a player or two on our roster, but if they would want draft picks, I'm not interested.

Who said anything about trading away a high draft pick? We need a QB for the simple reason that you don't want to be heading into the 2018 season being forced to start whoever you just drafted. I personally believe that QBs learn more through playing than they do on the bench but they still need a solid environment around and a baseline of skills necessary to play in the NFL. Bortles and Goff in their rookie year is a perfect example of this.  

A trade for someone like Tyrod would give us an immediate starter at QB for this year.  He's at very worst average, takes care of the ball, great deep passer and can win with his legs. He also gives us an option to start him in 2018. We SHOULD be aiming to make the playoffs in 2018.

(08-21-2017, 02:10 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 04:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Neither do I, if it benefits us in the long run. I'm looking at the big picture. Realistically, we're not a playoff team yet. What would trading away a high draft pick do, if it would only net us a so-so QB who could get us an 8-8 record at best? I'll tell you. It would handcuff us in the draft, where we might have a chance at getting a true franchise QB. Those guys don't grow on trees. I've seen what is out there as far as current NFL backup QB's and I would much rather take a gamble on the draft. Unless a team is willing to do a player for player trade, I stand pat. With that said, I am intrigued by Sean Mannion of the Rams and I wonder of they would trade him for a player or two on our roster, but if they would want draft picks, I'm not interested.

Who said anything about trading away a high draft pick? We need a QB for the simple reason that you don't want to be heading into the 2018 season being forced to start whoever you just drafted. I personally believe that QBs learn more through playing than they do on the bench but they still need a solid environment around and a baseline of skills necessary to play in the NFL. Bortles and Goff in their rookie year is a perfect example of this.  

A trade for someone like Tyrod would give us an immediate starter at QB for this year.  He's at very worst average, takes care of the ball, great deep passer and can win with his legs. He also gives us an option to start him in 2018. We SHOULD be aiming to make the playoffs in 2018.

It would likely take no less than a 2nd and a 5th round pick to get Tyrod. A 2nd rounder is a high pick in my opinion. Buffalo isn't gonna give him away.