Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Total Solar Eclipse Coming On August 21, 2017***

In the words of Gus Bradley, "We had a great week of preparation but just came up a little short on the execution. Our goal is to seek improvement with each and every eclipse"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-21-2017, 03:20 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: In the words of Gus Bradley, "We had a great week of preparation but just came up a little short on the execution.  Our goal is to seek improvement with each and every eclipse"

Laughing

(08-21-2017, 03:12 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I saw about a half a minute of it inbetween clouds. Whoop de do.

That's what I got on the Southside.  I watched for about 5 seconds then went inside to grab my mom for her to see it and she got about 5 seconds before the clouds came back and stayed.  Couldn't tell the eclipse was even happening with the naked eye with the cloud coverage in the area.  You pretty much had to have the glasses or a projector and you would have had to have caught the glimpse that the clouds allowed us to have at just the right moment.  I was expecting 90% coverage to be much darker outside than it actually was.

I think it was spectacular in Tennessee. I say "I think" because my camera took a [BLEEP] seconds before totality, dumping all of my settings and basically resetting to an auto mode, which thought that it was nighttime and it should let in all the light in the world. I spent so much time [BLEEP] with it that I managed to completely miss all but the last few seconds of totality, when the sun was starting to re-emerge. I have three pictures of totality, which look more or less like the daytime sun.

Heartbroken would be an understatement.

I found a perfect spot, church cemetery on a hill, a few trees to give shade as it was pretty warm, but plenty of open sky. There were about 25 other folks and we all vainly yelled in protest as two big, dark clouds converged on the sun right before the diamond ring effect and throughout totality. Very disappointing, but the graduating darkness was very cool, nightbirds sang and cicadas chirped. The temperature dropped at least 10 degrees. Not what I'd hoped for, but pretty cool regardless.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Damn, jax is cursed, clouds destroyed the eclipse experience and the jags still suck

(08-21-2017, 03:19 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 03:14 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: For supposedly being 91% covered it didn't get very dark at all. The storm clouds that rolled through earlier right before the rain came down made it darker than the eclipse.

I know. I was at 97 or 98 percent in Vancouver, WA, but it just barely dimmed for a few minutes. Those who were actually in it are saying how amazing it was, but just outside it wasn't much at all.

My stepmom said that just goes to show us the power of the sun.

Today is son #2 and daughter #1's birthday. I told them I would do something special in their honor. I hope they appreciated it.

(08-21-2017, 05:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Today is son #2 and daughter #1's birthday. I told them I would do something special in their honor. I hope they appreciated it.

What happens nine months ago that y'all REALLY love celebrating??
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

As I suspected.  Pretty much a huge NOTHING BURGER.  Listening to the radio this morning they were talking about "traffic problems" and "temperature drops" during this thing.  Traffic is flowing normally and it's still 80+ degrees here.

I laugh at the people that actually traveled to view this event and I give kudos to the many people that actually made money off of them.  I saw reports of land owners charging $75 per person to view it on their land.  Get 100 or so stupid people on your property at $75 a head... that's a good little bit of beer money.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-21-2017, 05:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I laugh at the people that actually traveled to view this event

Hey [BLEEP] you too buddy

(08-21-2017, 05:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: As I suspected.  Pretty much a huge NOTHING BURGER.  Listening to the radio this morning they were talking about "traffic problems" and "temperature drops" during this thing.  Traffic is flowing normally and it's still 80+ degrees here.

I laugh at the people that actually traveled to view this event and I give kudos to the many people that actually made money off of them.  I saw reports of land owners charging $75 per person to view it on their land.  Get 100 or so stupid people on your property at $75 a head... that's a good little bit of beer money.

While you're here being condescending to those who actually like to witness rare events, kids are playing on your yard, unheeded.

I'm not sure why they'd be talking about temperature drops in Jacksonville, I was surprised how much sunlight is visible even at 90%. Even with clouds, a total solar eclipse was a very cool experience. I'm not quite understanding the need for derision.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(08-21-2017, 05:37 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 05:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Today is son #2 and daughter #1's birthday. I told them I would do something special in their honor. I hope they appreciated it.

What happens nine months ago that y'all REALLY love celebrating??

And son #1's birthday was Friday. 

I think it has to do with Thanksgiving. We were definitely giving thanks.

(08-21-2017, 05:44 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 05:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I laugh at the people that actually traveled to view this event

Hey [BLEEP] you too buddy

Did you get your money's worth?  If you think so, then more power to you.  My guess is that it was a less-than exciting event.  In case you missed it, sunset is approaching...

(08-21-2017, 06:04 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 05:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: As I suspected.  Pretty much a huge NOTHING BURGER.  Listening to the radio this morning they were talking about "traffic problems" and "temperature drops" during this thing.  Traffic is flowing normally and it's still 80+ degrees here.

While you're here being condescending to those who actually like to witness rare events, kids are playing on your yard, unheeded.

Even with clouds, it was very cool. I'm not quite understanding the need for derision.

I keep kids out of my yard.  No need to set myself up for some kind of lawsuit.

My "derision" comes from how the media hyped this whole thing up so dramatically including the "countdown clocks".  Heck, on the radio this morning they were warning about "traffic problems" and talking about how the "temperature would drop".  School hours were adjusted because of course we don't want any of the snowflakes being hurt.

None of that happened.  People were flocking to areas willing to pay money for a very short time-frame of sun-down, dark, sun-up (or something close to that).

Here in Jacksonville, it got darker but it's hard to decide if it was because of the cloud cover or the eclipse.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-21-2017, 06:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 05:37 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: What happens nine months ago that y'all REALLY love celebrating??

And son #1's birthday was Friday. 

40 weeks prior to now puts you closer to Halloween than Thanksgiving... Laughing
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(08-21-2017, 06:26 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 05:44 PM)TJBender Wrote: Hey [BLEEP] you too buddy

Did you get your money's worth?  If you think so, then more power to you.  My guess is that it was a less-than exciting event.  In case you missed it, sunset is approaching...
Not sure if you've ever had dreams or aspirations, but seeing a solar eclipse has been one of mine since my third-grade science teacher spent a day on eclipses and told us that the next one was in 2017. To lose almost all of that eclipse because my camera reset itself seconds before totality was a dagger to the heart, and the last thing I need right now is a [BLEEP] comment from someone with all the scientific inclinations of a flat-earther.
Equating a solar eclipse to sunset is like saying that making use of a tube sock is about the same as getting laid.

I've always heard you'd go blind if you did a certain thing as a kid.    I'm blaming it on the eclipse    Laughing

Save the cheerleader, save the world

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

I have friends in Columbia and Lexington, SC and their pictures and videos on Facebook were pretty darn cool. At least it didn't suck for everyone. I wasn't super hyped over it but me and my step mom were like- 91% and it's not even remotely dark. We were a bit disappointed. 

I wish I could say hopefully the media has learned it's lesson on hyping stuff up but they haven't and won't.

(08-21-2017, 06:40 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 06:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: And son #1's birthday was Friday. 

40 weeks prior to now puts you closer to Halloween than Thanksgiving... Laughing

Trick or Treat!