Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sam Darnold - How long till he's the Jags QB?

(08-21-2017, 11:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 09:50 AM)J-Mizzal Wrote: What the heck is so good about Josh Allen? He has low completion % and throws a lot of INTs and plays for Wyoming, he is nothing but another trap bust qb, he is big tall strong arm that scouts fall in love with but guys who are low comp % almost always stay that way.

A lot of the projection of Allen is based upon him improving this year. He isn't exactly surrounded by talent, but will need to get up over 60% completions and cut down on his INT's in order to be projected as one of the top 3 QB's in the draft. Most QB's tend to improve each year and I believe that's what scouts are projecting he will do.

Cason Wentz went to an even smaller school, the difference is Wentz was good for 4 years, good comp % high TDs and low INTs, they way they are hyping up Allen is ridiculous based on what he has done.
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-21-2017, 12:41 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 11:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: A lot of the projection of Allen is based upon him improving this year. He isn't exactly surrounded by talent, but will need to get up over 60% completions and cut down on his INT's in order to be projected as one of the top 3 QB's in the draft. Most QB's tend to improve each year and I believe that's what scouts are projecting he will do.

Cason Wentz went to an even smaller school, the difference is Wentz was good for 4 years, good comp % high TDs and low INTs, they way they are hyping up Allen is ridiculous based on what he has done.

I've gotta watch him this season before I can make a fair analysis.

Darnold too young. He shouldn't come out.
Rosen I think stays for his senior year but then again, he's the one who came out and said school and football don't mix... so maybe he'll be ready to go to the NFL.
Even still, I'm not a Rosen fan.

Falk
Rudolph
Mayfield

Depending on where we're drafting.

Also... everyone is on this Josh Allen train... and I just don't see it. Boom or bust cannon arm QB.
He'd need a big season with a lot of improvements this year for me to consider him a top 50 prospect

So what you guys are saying is Josh Allen is the obvious choice for the Jags because we'll screw it up?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-22-2017, 07:13 PM)mvannostran Wrote: So what you guys are saying is Josh Allen is the obvious choice for the Jags because we'll screw it up?

Oh God please no...
If the Jags screw up another top 10 selection, and at QB to boot, I may just retire from fandom.

I can't take the suckin.

If there is anyone on this board who is in the anti-Bortles camp who wants Sam Darnold, you need to be banned for stupidity. Darnold has all the same flaws that Bortles gets abused by this board for having, except worse. He has a worse wind up and a similar wobbly throw. His arm may be weaker.

Yup freeagent01, i mentioned his mechanics earlier in this thread. He'll get exposed by scouts in the combine. Most people on this board would make terrible scouts and gm's.

here is a video of Darnold against Penn St... all of his throws. He does kinda look like Bortles actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqjBJbowLSk

My honest opinion is that Lamar Jackson is easily the best quarterback. The issue with Jackson is that his footwork is terrible leading to a lot of inaccurate passes. When he drops back into timing throws, he is extremely good in the short to intermediate passes. His issue comes when he's moved off his spot in the pocket, he has issues resetting his feet and delivering an accurate pass. That will be a tough issue to overcome, because part of his strength is his quick and elusive feet in the pocket to threaten as a runner. Can he adjust and learn to reset his feet without taking away a major part of his game? That's the $30 million dollar question.

I think Josh Rosen will rise to the top of the heap for next year's draft. I don't think he will be a very good quarterback - he has extremely slow footwork and doesn't feel pressure well. However, he will likely be the best looking quarterback in shorts. He throws a pretty ball and very accurate when he's allowed to be a statue and knows where he is throwing it.

Everyone says Darnold has baby hands

(08-23-2017, 09:06 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: My honest opinion is that Lamar Jackson is easily the best quarterback.  The issue with Jackson is that his footwork is terrible leading to a lot of inaccurate passes.  When he drops back into timing throws, he is extremely good in the short to intermediate passes.  His issue comes when he's moved off his spot in the pocket, he has issues resetting his feet and delivering an accurate pass.  That will be a tough issue to overcome, because part of his strength is his quick and elusive feet in the pocket to threaten as a runner.  Can he adjust and learn to reset his feet without taking away a major part of his game?  That's the $30 million dollar question.

I think Josh Rosen will rise to the top of the heap for next year's draft.  I don't think he will be a very good quarterback - he has extremely slow footwork and doesn't feel pressure well.  However, he will likely be the best looking quarterback in shorts.  He throws a pretty ball and very accurate when he's allowed to be a statue and knows where he is throwing it.

What about the issue that Jackson is largely a running QB with a rail thin frame? That doesn't concern you? I find that to be a major worry. Small framed, running QB's don't last long in the NFL. They're always injured.

(08-24-2017, 02:43 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 09:06 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: My honest opinion is that Lamar Jackson is easily the best quarterback.  The issue with Jackson is that his footwork is terrible leading to a lot of inaccurate passes.  When he drops back into timing throws, he is extremely good in the short to intermediate passes.  His issue comes when he's moved off his spot in the pocket, he has issues resetting his feet and delivering an accurate pass.  That will be a tough issue to overcome, because part of his strength is his quick and elusive feet in the pocket to threaten as a runner.  Can he adjust and learn to reset his feet without taking away a major part of his game?  That's the $30 million dollar question.

I think Josh Rosen will rise to the top of the heap for next year's draft.  I don't think he will be a very good quarterback - he has extremely slow footwork and doesn't feel pressure well.  However, he will likely be the best looking quarterback in shorts.  He throws a pretty ball and very accurate when he's allowed to be a statue and knows where he is throwing it.

What about the issue that Jackson is largely a running QB with a rail thin frame? That doesn't concern you? I find that to be a major worry. Small framed, running QB's don't last long in the NFL. They're always injured.

He can shed a few pounds like Mariota to get even faster and just avoid the hits... right?

Lamar Jackson completed only 56% of his passes last year. That seems shockingly low to me. For a guy with that kind of athletic ability, you'd think defenses would be forced to re-think their whole strategy in order to spy on him and keep him contained. Which means you know his WRs are going to be far more open than a traditional pocket QB would have. Especially when he was scrambling around.

Would be interesting to know the breakdown of his passing attempts. Perhaps a more traditional pocket QB would just dump it off down low when nothing is open deep which would inflate his comp%, whereas a guy like Jackson would instead just take off and run which is probably more effective than dumping it off. Thus you'd see a much higher % of his passes going down the field which would translate into a lower overall comp%.

Or perhaps the guy just isnt very accurate and once his legs go, he has no chance of being effective.

Mason Rudolph should be the consensus QB1.

(08-24-2017, 02:16 PM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: Mason Rudolph should be the consensus QB1.

While I like Rudolph a lot, I wanna see how this season plays out before i make any final judgments.

(08-24-2017, 02:24 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 02:16 PM)JAXsonVIL Wrote: Mason Rudolph should be the consensus QB1.

While I like Rudolph a lot, I wanna see how this season plays out before i make any final judgments.

Yeah... this coming season will tell a lot about QBs Falk, Rudolph, Mayfield, Rosen, and even Jackson...

Almost every prospect has an area that needs improvement and this season those who improve upon their promising sophomore and junior seasons will elevate themselves to top 15 selections (Falk, Rudolph)... and some will take a mighty slide into rounds 2 and 3 (Jackson, Allen).

I like Darnold. I don't see any comparisons at all to Bortles other than he does dip the ball a bit but not near anything Bortles does. He is very accurate and does it against legit competition. Lot of tight window throws, on the money. Excellent footwork and poise. One year though, want to see more but I like him as a prospect.

Lamar Jackson will either turn out to be Mike Vick light or Terrelle Pryor... and I see a lot of Terrelle Pryor in him. Which isn't a bad thing, because Pyror ended up being a good receiver.

I would rather see this team avoid another rookie QB attempting to lead this team. The problem is that we just don't appear to have all the pieces to allow a rookie QB to flourish. We don't have a solid offensive line. We don't know what we have with the running game yet because of said line. Our defense looks good on paper in the secondary but we still have concerns on that front four and especially at linebacker now with Paul getting long in the tooth. Smith on a contract year. And Jack still trying to find out who he is for this defense.

I think we should go all in next year for Cousins if he's finally able to escape Washington. He's been around enough. He's accurate enough. He's played in a pretty tough division and he's also had "so-so" talent around him but he's still managed to put up some impressive highlights and stats on the stat sheet. Go BAP O-Line or D-Line in next year's first round. And grab a QB to groom on day two or day three like Rudolph, Mayfield, Litton or Falk as an insurance policy behind Cousins or some kind of veteran at QB.

I love Jacob Eason's potential though. Huge arm. Reminds me of Stafford already as a Bulldogs fan. But I am hoping the kid stays all the way through his Senior year. He needs to develop more on his thinking, reading and accuracy before he's a top prospect. He could end up going numero uno in 2019.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-25-2017, 07:33 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I would rather see this team avoid another rookie QB attempting to lead this team. The problem is that we just don't appear to have all the pieces to allow a rookie QB to flourish. We don't have a solid offensive line. We don't know what we have with the running game yet because of said line. Our defense looks good on paper in the secondary but we still have concerns on that front four and especially at linebacker now with Paul getting long in the tooth. Smith on a contract year. And Jack still trying to find out who he is for this defense.

I think we should go all in next year for Cousins if he's finally able to escape Washington. He's been around enough. He's accurate enough. He's played in a pretty tough division and he's also had "so-so" talent around him but he's still managed to put up some impressive highlights and stats on the stat sheet. Go BAP O-Line or D-Line in next year's first round. And grab a QB to groom on day two or day three like Rudolph, Mayfield, Litton or Falk as an insurance policy behind Cousins or some kind of veteran at QB.

I love Jacob Eason's potential though. Huge arm. Reminds me of Stafford already as a Bulldogs fan. But I am hoping the kid stays all the way through his Senior year. He needs to develop more on his thinking, reading and accuracy before he's a top prospect. He could end up going numero uno in 2019.

I hear ya, I feel ya.... but
I highly doubt Rudolph, Mayfield, or Falk are day two or three selections.

All of their draft statuses surely rest upon the upcoming season but these prospects are all viewed as better than the ones we just saw get drafted. And there were 3 first rounders this year. Depending on who declares early... I think we could see 4 QBs selected in the first round in 2018.

Personally I think Luke Falk takes the next step in that Wash St offense and the Air Raid QBs start making a splash in the NFL (Mahomes, Goff, now Falk maybe?)

I think Rudolph and Mayfield are first round talents unless they regress this coming season.
And I think Jackson, Darnold, Josh Allen, and Rosen all have the possibility of being overdrafted.

Certainly 7 QBs won't go in the first... some of these guys will have a down year, or injury, or not declare as underclassmen... but QB crop is thick.

I echo the worry of spending yet another high draft pick with the O-Line and some other spots in a state of flux... but.. if you sign Cousins to that big money deal, you probably could groom Brandon Allen behind him or something like that.

But I sure would hate to miss out on this years crop of QBs... some of them seem to really have 'the stuff'.

Give me Derwin James in the first (if he comes out) and a QB in the 2nd.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]