Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Post Game QB discussion

Henne is certainly part of the stench and stigma that plagues this franchise. He and Oehser are on the same level as far as I am concerned.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This is like asking which turd smells better. It is bad either way
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I'd give Bortles the first 4 games of the season and then shut him down for the rest of the year if he continues single handedly costing us games like he's done since he came into the league. He's better than Henne but I'm not sure the record is going to be much different with either of them. They're both bad but in different ways. I'm just imagining the boos that will rain down on the team with the 3 and outs that will undoubtedly come with Henne starting. But as soon as you realize Bortles isn't your guy you pretty much have to shut him down with that 5th year albatross, I mean option around his neck. We're about as close to realizing he's not the guy as you can get. The fact Henne wasn't named starter yet tells me this was probably all a ruse from the get go to light a fire under Blake's rear end.

The decision to pick up the option was amateur hour by the front office.

We are back on the Bortles train but we attached the Henne cab just in case we want to get off again

We're a bad team with either QB in there. At this point, I don't know what to do, because the situation has been handled so poorly. Personally, I'd rather watch Bortles move the football down the field and throw a pick 6, rather than watch Henne and his conservative 4 yard passes, check downs and always throwing short of the first down marker. On the other hand, if we play Bortles and he gets injured, we're on the hook for like $19 million next season, which would be terrible, especially if he's not needed. We're in a no-win situation. I was hoping we would have brought in some short term QB competition in the offseason, but that didn't happen. Maybe we should wait until final cuts and pick up a QB. Who knows at this point? I'm just depressed.

At this point I would be tempted to cut both Bortles and Henne. Add a couple of QB's after cuts.

One thing I would not do under any circumstances would be to pay Bortles almost 20 million next year!

(08-25-2017, 02:32 AM)wg171 Wrote: At this point I would be tempted to cut both Bortles and Henne. Add a couple of QB's after cuts.

One thing I would not do under any circumstances would be to pay Bortles almost 20 million next year!

If we cut Bortles and Henne, at least we won't have to worry about the $19 million fifth year option anymore. Maybe if we brought in some veteran QB who was cut, he could learn the playbook quickly enough that he could be ready to start by game 4. Would starting Allen in the first three games be that bad? It's not like we're a playoff team anyway. We're staring down the barrel of 4-5 wins, no matter what we do. Maybe cutting Bortles and Henne is our best option. I don't know at this point. We're so screwed I'd be open to any suggestions.

One of the guys during the radio broadcast summed it up best. He said that (I'm paraphrasing) Bortles had a higher ceiling, but a lower floor.

After all this time still can't get over drafting a QB with flawed mechanics over K. Mack

No, Allen starting some games would not be a bad thing imo.

I got 3 words. Cape. Errr. Knick.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

(08-25-2017, 03:15 AM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: I got 3 words. Cape. Errr. Knick.

One word.........NO!

I'm sorry but behind this line you have to start Bortles. At least he has the ability to somewhat avoid sacks. JJ Watt or Clowney could set the single game sack record if Henne is under center week 1. Then after he gets hurt Blake will end up playing anyway.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Just playing Devils Advocate here:

Let's say Blake actually performs during the season (I know it's a reach, but let's go with it for the sake of this post). Let's say his stats are similar to that of 2015, and we did enough to win the division.

Where would you guys sit with Blake then? Would you welcome the extension or would you still cut him, draft a QB and have Allen and a Rookie QB from the 2018 draft on the roster?..

I ask because I'm intrigued to find out people's stances on the situation. Personally, I still see something in Blake (I know, I know...) I think he could still perform for us.. I certainly don't think it's dead in the water... yet!
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(08-25-2017, 04:33 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: Just playing Devils Advocate here:

Let's say Blake actually performs during the season (I know it's a reach, but let's go with it for the sake of this post). Let's say his stats are similar to that of 2015, and we did enough to win the division.

Where would you guys sit with Blake then? Would you welcome the extension or would you still cut him, draft a QB and have Allen and a Rookie QB from the 2018 draft on the roster?..

I ask because I'm intrigued to find out people's stances on the situation. Personally, I still see something in Blake (I know, I know...) I think he could still perform for us.. I certainly don't think it's dead in the water... yet!

Oh Good Lord. The second that meeting room even discusses starting Henne that meant Bortles is done in Jax.

(08-25-2017, 04:36 AM)haveaseat Wrote:

Oh Good Lord. The second that meeting room even discusses starting Henne that meant Bortles is done in Jax.

It's just a side-discussion. I'm just wondering on the scenario mentioned, what would people think then?

That's all... It's a QB discussion thread after all..

(08-25-2017, 04:36 AM)haveaseat Wrote:

I agree. Blake's days in Jacksonville are numbered.

I will answer the hypothetical however...
I would cut him. Then try to sign him for a lot less than 20 mil. Short term deal only. He doesn't take it...I let him walk.

(08-25-2017, 04:49 AM)wg171 Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 04:36 AM)haveaseat Wrote: Oh Good Lord. The second that meeting room even discusses starting Henne that meant Bortles is done in Jax.

I agree. Blake's days in Jacksonville are numbered.

I would cut him. Then try to sign him for a lot less than 20 mil. Short term deal only. He doesn't take it...I let him walk.

That's not a bad suggestion...

If he doesn't take it, would you keep Allen on the roster and draft a QB in 2018, draft a QB AND try and get one in FA and have a complete overhaul at QB or would you keep BA and get a free agent to support him?

It's a tricky situation..

(08-25-2017, 04:53 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 04:49 AM)wg171 Wrote: I agree. Blake's days in Jacksonville are numbered.

That's not a bad suggestion...

If he doesn't take it, would you keep Allen on the roster and draft a QB in 2018, draft a QB AND try and get one in FA and have a complete overhaul at QB or would you keep BA and get a free agent to support him?

It's a tricky situation..

I'd hang onto Allen,
Try for Kirk Cousins in FA,
if failed to sign Kirk draft one of the west coast guys(who will probably be off the board) or maybe Mason Rudolph

Bortles played against backups with starting o line deeep into that game. We should have been scoring at will.

Either QB option is going to be brutal to watch. Flip a coin.

(08-24-2017, 10:49 PM)tealfootball Wrote: I dare say Cleveland will have more wins than us.  We may just nab that elusive #1 pick this upcoming draft.

We will never be that lucky.  We'll be 0-14 and win 2 meaningless games to put us out of contention, then you'll hear the front office claim we ended the season with "momentum".