Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump calls on NFL owners to fire players who protest.

Lol...... we just got good.

This would be me if we fired our players .... perhaps we can fire our 2011 players

[Image: 200.webp#8-grid1]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Since we're already talking about 2020 and all it takes to be president nowadays, is to be a former reality game show host, I did a quick Google search and found some other "qualified" candidates.......

Tyra Banks (America's Got Talent)

Nick Cannon (America's Got Talent)

Ryan Seacrest (American Idol)

Carson Daly (The Voice)

Jeff Probst (Survivor) 

Tom Bergeron (Dancing with the Stars)

Julie Chen (Big Brother)

Chris Harrison (The Bachelor/Bachelorette)

Rupaul (Drag Race)

Phil Keoghan (The Amazing Race)

I eliminated hosts like Padma Lakshmi, Heidi Klum and Gordan Ramsey since they were born outside the United States. Whether the people on the lists are Republicans or Democrats, I have no idea.

You left out George Clooney. I refuse to form any political opinion until I know what George Clooney thinks of the matter at hand.

In all seriousness, I do think we should nominate some Hollywood elitist who is completely in touch with reality.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2017, 03:54 PM by TJBender.)

(09-25-2017, 02:54 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So you believe someone from the GOP is going to step up and challenge Trump for re-election? I don't see that happening.

With an approval rating in the 30's, it's inevitable.

(09-25-2017, 03:44 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: In all seriousness, I do think we should nominate some Hollywood elitist who is completely in touch with reality.

oxymoron alert

(09-25-2017, 03:44 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You left out George Clooney. I refuse to form any political opinion until I know what George Clooney thinks of the matter at hand.

In all seriousness, I do think we should nominate some Hollywood elitist who is completely in touch with reality.

George Clooney is not qualified. He does not host a reality show.

(09-25-2017, 04:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 03:44 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You left out George Clooney. I refuse to form any political opinion until I know what George Clooney thinks of the matter at hand.

How about Jimmy Fallon then? He seems to have the solution to fix healthcare.

(09-25-2017, 04:24 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 04:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: George Clooney is not qualified. He does not host a reality show.

How about Jimmy Fallon then? He seems to have the solution to fix healthcare.

Not a reality show host.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2017, 06:14 PM by copycat.)

(09-25-2017, 03:27 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Lol...... we just got good.

This would be me if we fired our players .... perhaps we can fire our 2011 players

[Image: 200.webp#8-grid1]

Shouldn't that be the Modis Building?

(09-25-2017, 04:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 04:24 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: How about Jimmy Fallon then? He seems to have the solution to fix healthcare.

Not a reality show host.

Mike Rowe 2020!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2017, 09:43 PM by Bullseye.)

(09-23-2017, 08:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: He's also looking at it from a business perspective. The NFL has an image crisis right now. Millionaire players taking a knee and crying about injustice while Joe Everybody has just shelled out a few days wages to take himself and his family to watch said player perform is not the ideal business model. Is anyone else on this board allowed to take a knee in the middle of their workplace and decry American injustice while cashing a check at the end of the day which has 5 or 6 digits on the left side of the decimal point?

I'm all for protest, but like most things, there are times and places for it. I would even support occasional on-field protests, but every game and the subsequent media storm is tiring and distracting.

Regarding your first paragraph...tough.

The whole principle behind the free market is developing a set of skills that provide the most demand in the marketplace for the most benefit, monetarily, tangibly and intangibly.

There are a scant few people on the planet who have the skills to play NFL football.  The players now involved in the protest are among those who have sufficiently developed their skills to be so employed and obtain those benefits.

You and I are not. 

That is the result, in part, of our choices.

Nobody forces us to shell out a few days wages to watch them perform.   Again, our choice, not their's.  

No...none of us are likely allowed to take a knee during our jobs to protest some issue. 

But there are differences.

1.  As I referenced above, these players have developed their skills to give them that platform.  You and I have not, nor do we likely have to stand for the national anthem at our jobs or at home.  I know I have personally seen several people over the years at the games of many races who do not stand or remove their hats while the national anthem plays.  Where is the outrage against them?

2.  Is standing during the national anthem "at work" for these players?  There are plenty of instances where players are at football stadiums but not "working."  Players have been known to kneel on the sidelines or even sit on their helmets during games.  Is that the equivalent of a "break?"  The NFL did not officially incorporate  the players standing for the national anthem into the regular season pre game routine until 2009.  Were the players that weren't out there during the national anthem in pregame prior to the 2009 season at work or not?  Were they disrespecting the flag and the National Anthem then?

3.  Would their kneeling during the National Anthem somehow be less disrespectful of the flag and country if they weren't earning so much money?  Do people who earn less money have more of a right to protest what they see as injustice?

As to your second paragraph, what is the proper setting for speaking out against injustice?  I've seen minorities protest various things in various settings.  Each and every time, there are people who castigate them for the time, place and method of protest, no matter if legally organized and permitted, spontaneous and not permitted, non violent and violent.  What is an acceptable setting for persons of color to voice dissent, which, according to Jefferson, is among the most patriotic acts a person can do?

But just so I can confirm the mindset here...please clarify for me.

People who, long ago, were citizens of this country who willfully renounced their citizenship and took up arms against American soldiers, killing hundreds of thousands of Americans, in furtherance of aims they openly declared to be the opposite of American ideals, are worthy of honor, reverence, and commemoration in the form of statues erected, and schools named in their honor, and honoring these individuals is fully consistent with traditional notions of patriotism and love of country?

But people now, who take nothing more than a knee in silent protest before a game against what they perceive to be injustice, who do not renounce their American citizenship, do not take up arms against the armed forces of this country, including the rogue murderous officers that triggered the protests in the first place are deemed disloyal, unpatriotic, and disrespectful of the flag, the American military, and the country?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(09-25-2017, 09:07 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 08:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: He's also looking at it from a business perspective. The NFL has an image crisis right now. Millionaire players taking a knee and crying about injustice while Joe Everybody has just shelled out a few days wages to take himself and his family to watch said player perform is not the ideal business model. Is anyone else on this board allowed to take a knee in the middle of their workplace and decry American injustice while cashing a check at the end of the day which has 5 or 6 digits on the left side of the decimal point?

I'm all for protest, but like most things, there are times and places for it. I would even support occasional on-field protests, but every game and the subsequent media storm is tiring and distracting.

The whole principle behind the free market is developing a set of skills that provide the most demand in the marketplace for the most benefit, monetarily, tangibly and intangibly.

There are a scant few people on the planet who have the skills to play NFL football.  The players now involved in the protest are among those who have sufficiently developed their skills to be so employed and obtain those benefits.

You and I are not. 

Nobody forces us to shell out a few days wages to watch them perform.   Again, our choice, not their's.  

No...none of us are likely allowed to take a knee during our jobs to protest some issue. 

1.  As I referenced above, these players have developed their skills to give them that platform.  You and I have not, nor do we likely have to stand for the national anthem at our jobs or at home.  I know I have personally seen several people over the years at the games of many races who do not stand or remove their hats while the national anthem plays.  Where is the outrage against them?

2.  Is standing during the national anthem "at work" for these players?  There are plenty of instances where players are at football stadiums but not "working."  Players have been known to kneel on the sidelines or even sit on their helmets during games.  Is that the equivalent of a "break?"  The NFL did not officially incorporate  the players standing for the national anthem into the regular season pre game routine until 2009.  Were the players that weren't out there during the national anthem in pregame prior to the 2009 season at work or not?  Were they disrespecting the flag and the National Anthem then?

3.  Would their kneeling during the National Anthem somehow be less disrespectful of the flag and country if they weren't earning so much money?  Do people who earn less money have more of a right to protest what they see as injustice?

As to your second paragraph, what is the proper setting for speaking out against injustice?  I've seen minorities protest various things in various settings.  Each and every time, there are people who castigate them for the time, place and method of protest, no matter if legally organized and permitted, spontaneous and not permitted, non violent and violent.  What is an acceptable setting for persons of color to voice dissent, which, according to Jefferson, is among the most patriotic acts a person can do?

People who, long ago, were citizens of this country who willfully renounced their citizenship and took up arms against American soldiers, killing hundreds of thousands of Americans, in furtherance of aims they openly declared to be the opposite of American ideals, are worthy of honor, reverence, and memoriam in the form of statues erected, and schools named in their honor, and honoring these individuals are fully consistent with traditional notions of patriotism and love of country?

But people now, who take nothing more than a knee in silent protest before a game to what they perceive to be injustice, who do not renounce their American citizenship, do not take up arms against the armed forces of this country, including the rogue murderous officers that triggered the protests in the first place are deemed disloyal, unpatriotic, and disrespectful of the flag, the American military, and the country?

[Image: dhMeAzK.gif]

(09-25-2017, 09:16 PM)My Desired Display Name Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 09:07 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Regarding your first paragraph...tough.

You and I are not. 

People who, long ago, were citizens of this country who willfully renounced their citizenship and took up arms against American soldiers, killing hundreds of thousands of Americans, in furtherance of aims they openly declared to be the opposite of American ideals, are worthy of honor, reverence, and memoriam in the form of statues erected, and schools named in their honor, and honoring these individuals are fully consistent with traditional notions of patriotism and love of country?

But people now, who take nothing more than a knee in silent protest before a game to what they perceive to be injustice, who do not renounce their American citizenship, do not take up arms against the armed forces of this country, including the rogue murderous officers that triggered the protests in the first place are deemed disloyal, unpatriotic, and disrespectful of the flag, the American military, and the country?

[Image: dhMeAzK.gif]

The over all Sanctimonious attitude that supporters of anti American millionaires have is inspiring. To be sure this will backfire on the NFL. They will lose money, it may not happen overnight, but the product is damaged. People love this country more than football. I grew up being an NFL fan. Not a college fan; an NFL fan. The first thing I bought my Son is a football. I am utterly tired of being lectured to by these turds. Football is an escape from everyday crap; a chance to unwind and enjoy some sport. These stupid players have stolen that from me and I am pissed.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(09-25-2017, 04:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

that was just HILARIOUS!!!!

(09-25-2017, 06:12 PM)copycat Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 04:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Not a reality show host.

Mike Rowe 2020!

I like Mike Rowe. What ever happened to him after "Dirty Jobs" went off the air? I hate reality shows, but I liked that one.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2017, 10:26 PM by nate.)

(09-25-2017, 10:02 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 09:16 PM)My Desired Display Name Wrote: [Image: dhMeAzK.gif]

The over all Sanctimonious attitude that supporters of anti American millionaires have is inspiring. To be sure this will backfire on the NFL. They will lose money, it may not happen overnight, but the product is damaged. People love this country more than football. I grew up being an NFL fan. Not a college fan; an NFL fan. The first thing I bought my Son is a football. I am utterly tired of being lectured to by these turds. Football is an escape from everyday crap; a chance to unwind and enjoy some sport. These stupid players have stolen that from me and I am pissed.

You need to look at who is lecturing you, and overall who is lecturing who.

The players LOVE THEIR COUNTRY MORE THAN THEY LOVE FOOTBALL, and have THE GUTS to put it all on the line.

Lecturing, please.  It is a silent gesture. 

Bear in mind the idiot in chief advocated today they protest the police ON THE FIELD.

Stand up for that?

My first son will be born in a few days.  Can't wait to gear him up in Jag gear, and proud that our owner was at the forefront in a stand against a tyrant.

(09-25-2017, 09:07 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

You and I are not. 

People who, long ago, were citizens of this country who willfully renounced their citizenship and took up arms against American soldiers, killing hundreds of thousands of Americans, in furtherance of aims they openly declared to be the opposite of American ideals, are worthy of honor, reverence, and commemoration in the form of statues erected, and schools named in their honor, and honoring these individuals is fully consistent with traditional notions of patriotism and love of country?

But people now, who take nothing more than a knee in silent protest before a game against what they perceive to be injustice, who do not renounce their American citizenship, do not take up arms against the armed forces of this country, including the rogue murderous officers that triggered the protests in the first place are deemed disloyal, unpatriotic, and disrespectful of the flag, the American military, and the country?

Humbled by your post.  Amazing.

The players LOVE THEIR COUNTRY MORE THAN THEY LOVE FOOTBALL, and have THE GUTS to put it all on the line.

Bear in mind the idiot in chief advocated today they protest the police ON THE FIELD.

Stand up for that?

My first son will be born in a few days.  Can't wait to gear him up in Jag gear, and proud that our owner was at the forefront in a stand against a tyrant.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2017, 10:34 PM by Bullseye.)

What makes them Anti American?

They haven't renounced their citizenship like the Confederates. 

They haven't taken up arms against the country like the Confederates.

They haven't killed thousands of Americans like the Confederates.

And, unless you believe equality in law enforcement is inconsistent with American ideals, they haven't advocated for anything Anti American like the Confederates.

Yet self righteous conservatives like yourself revere the Confederates while having the gall to wrap yourselves in the American flag to castigate the players.

If the players succeed in their protests, the "worst" that happens is that more criminal suspects of color will actually make it to trial instead of being shot by police and those acting like police under dubious rationales.  If the Confederates succeeded, the American flag would have at least thirteen fewer stars and the country would be a fraction of its current size and strength, and the anti American ideals they blatantly admitted to would have prevailed.  Yet conservatives, from Trump on down, jump on the proverbial grenades to protect icons of the Confederacy from removal or criticism.

It has NOTHING to do with Anti-American thoughts or deeds on the part of the players.

It has everything to do with more pernicious motives of the conservatives that bash the players.

All this talk about the players and the president, and the will they kneel or won’t they, the original message that he was trying to get it out has been completely lost to it all. No one is talking about that anymore.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

When it's all said and done, the Don could be single handedly responsible for getting Goodel canned. That would be awesome.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2017, 10:41 PM by MalabarJag.)

(09-25-2017, 10:33 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 10:02 PM)Ronster Wrote: The over all Sanctimonious attitude that supporters of anti American millionaires have is inspiring. To be sure this will backfire on the NFL. They will lose money, it may not happen overnight, but the product is damaged. People love this country more than football. I grew up being an NFL fan. Not a college fan; an NFL fan. The first thing I bought my Son is a football. I am utterly tired of being lectured to by these turds. Football is an escape from everyday crap; a chance to unwind and enjoy some sport. These stupid players have stolen that from me and I am pissed.
What makes them Anti American?

They haven't renounced their citizenship like the Confederates. 

They haven't taken up arms against the country like the Confederates.

They haven't killed thousands of Americans like the Confederates.

And, unless you believe equality in law enforcement is inconsistent with American ideals, they haven't advocated for anything Anti American like the Confederates.

Yet self righteous conservatives like yourself revere the Confederates while having the gall to wrap yourselves in the American flag to castigate the players.

If the players succeed in their protests, the "worst" that happens is that more criminal suspects of color will actually make it to trial instead of being shot by police and those acting like police under dubious rationales.  If the Confederates succeeded, the American flag would have at least thirteen fewer stars and the country would be a fraction of its current size and strength, and the anti American ideals they blatantly admitted to would have prevailed.  Yet conservatives, from Trump on down, jump on the proverbial grenades to protect icons of the Confederacy from removal or criticism.

It has NOTHING to do with Anti-American thoughts or deeds on the part of the players.

It has everything to do with more pernicious motives of the conservatives that bash the players.

So your defense of the anti-American actions of some of the players (they stood for "God Save the Queen") is that their anti-Americanism wasn't as bad as the slave masters of the Confederacy?

Talk about damning with faint praise.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(09-25-2017, 10:24 PM)nate Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 10:02 PM)Ronster Wrote: The over all Sanctimonious attitude that supporters of anti American millionaires have is inspiring. To be sure this will backfire on the NFL. They will lose money, it may not happen overnight, but the product is damaged. People love this country more than football. I grew up being an NFL fan. Not a college fan; an NFL fan. The first thing I bought my Son is a football. I am utterly tired of being lectured to by these turds. Football is an escape from everyday crap; a chance to unwind and enjoy some sport. These stupid players have stolen that from me and I am pissed.

Stand up for that?

1.  Congrats on the imminent birth of your son!  May he be healthy and lead a prosperous life.  You raising him as a Jaguars fan gives him a good head start!

2.  How would players protest against police "on the field" without drawing the ire of conservatives who have situational ethics when it comes to free speech and the ability to express dissent?  Let's assume that somehow they did it after the national anthem, so as not to offend the sensibilities of these "eggshell patriots."  Should wedgebusters blindside random police officers on the opening kickoff?  Would conservatives be any less offended if all of the sympathetic players took knees at the start of play and not move for 15 minutes? If players held banners on the sideline prominently visible for all normal angle TV cameras to capture, for viewing audiences at home to see, would there be any less outrage from the right?

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2017, 11:46 PM by Bullseye.)

MalabarJag
   So your defense of the anti-American actions of some of the players (they stood for "God Save the Queen") is that their anti-Americanism wasn't as bad as the slave masters of the Confederacy?
   Talk about damning with faint praise.

No, my defense of the players is that nothing they have done to this point is even remotely anti American.

The First Amendment of the Constution reads thusly: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." (emphasis added).  The Founding Fathers felt the freedom of speech was important enough to make it the first right to codify in the Bill of Rights.  Citizens have the right to peaceably assemble and to air grievances.  Nothing the players have done in kneeling silently before a football game during the national anthem, or raising their fists during the same time exceeds the rights delineated above.  There has been no violence associated with those players pre game body positions.  The players have not destroyed any property in their silent protests.  The players have not burned any flags when conducting these protests.  It is doubtful any of the players who kneel or raise a fist prior to a football game have violated any tangentially related time, place or manner restrictions passed as local ordinances. If so, there have been no arrests based upon that.  Their actions have been wholly consistent with the constitution.  

My contrasting their actions with those of the Confederates is to highlight the staggering degree of hypocrisy on this subject from the right.  People who literally declared war on and conducted war against this country are revered as heroes by the right.  Meanwhile, those who silently protest in the effort to help form a more perfect union are reviled as traitors by the same right.

Again, it isn't about patriotism.

What the right has functionally expressed is that people of color have no right to voice dissent the right is bound to honor or respect.

What else explains the disparate treatment diametrically opposed to the degree and severity of dissent raised by the groups in question?