Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles is driving me nuts.

(12-11-2017, 08:39 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-10-2017, 10:38 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: To expand on this. 

Seahawks allowing 79.9 rating. 

Bortles today: 123.7

But that must be because Seattle didn't travel well, just like Baltimore.

He played well today against a defense that wound up missing 5 pro bowlers. Good for him, legitimately. He is up to pretty much exactly average for the season. That's better than I would have expected coming into the year, it's still not enough to do any more than let him play out the 5th year option.

If you send me your address, I'll send you a couple of coupons for the kleenex and tampons you're going to need when they announce BB5 as the starting QB, next year.
[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017, 09:31 AM by Upper.)

(12-11-2017, 09:12 AM)Rico Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 09:10 AM)Upper Wrote: Is there something wrong with giving credit while still acknowledging reality? I know this is a message board so that's not exactly smiled upon, but that's how I do it sorry if you expect everything to be drenched in bias.

What you thing =/= reality

Yards per attempt+ 95 - slightly below average
Adjusted net yards per attempt+ 101 - slightly above average
comp%+ 90 - below average
TD%+ 96 - slightly below average
INT%+ 106 - slightly above average
sack%+ 111 - above average
passer rating + 96 - slightly below average

He's been a tad above or a tad below average in everything. He's been virtually exactly average.

(12-11-2017, 09:18 AM)temporaryname Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 08:39 AM)Upper Wrote: He played well today against a defense that wound up missing 5 pro bowlers. Good for him, legitimately. He is up to pretty much exactly average for the season. That's better than I would have expected coming into the year, it's still not enough to do any more than let him play out the 5th year option.

If you send me your address, I'll send you a couple of coupons for the kleenex and tampons you're going to need when they announce BB5 as the starting QB, next year.

Now giving credit while acknowledging reality is tantamount to being an unstable woman. Good for you you seem like a swell person.

Photo 

(12-11-2017, 09:29 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 09:12 AM)Rico Wrote: What you thing =/= reality

Yards per attempt+ 95 - slightly below average
Adjusted net yards per attempt+ 101 - slightly above average
comp%+ 90 - below average
TD%+ 96 - slightly below average
INT%+ 106 - slightly above average
sack%+ 111 - above average
passer rating + 96 - slightly below average

He's been a tad above or a tad below average in everything. He's been virtually exactly average.

Wah, wah, wah.  Want a tissue?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Good response. That's the way to change someone opinion who comes armed with a full compliment of advanced stats.

(12-11-2017, 09:32 AM)Upper Wrote: Good response. That's the way to change someone opinion who comes armed with a full compliment of advanced stats.

Here's a response.  You can't even be a man and admit when he has a good game without some sort of caveat.  Instead, you have to be a little [BLEEP].

Average or not, this is the guy Marrone and Coughlin will want to keep through next season. I had no doubts about that even midway through the season, though....

He had a great game. Now go out there and do it again NEXT week. At this point it's all about consistency and confidence

(12-11-2017, 09:35 AM)Rico Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 09:32 AM)Upper Wrote: Good response. That's the way to change someone opinion who comes armed with a full compliment of advanced stats.

Here's a response.  You can't even be a man and admit when he has a good game without some sort of caveat.  Instead, you have to be a little [BLEEP].

In the "Bortles was brilliant today" thread I might have since it was purely a topic about yesterday. In a "Bortles is driving me nuts" that clearly is a discussion about his overall up and down nature it would be a disservice not to mention both sides of the coin since that's the exact point of the thread.

(12-11-2017, 09:38 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 09:35 AM)Rico Wrote: Here's a response.  You can't even be a man and admit when he has a good game without some sort of caveat.  Instead, you have to be a little [BLEEP].

In the "Bortles was brilliant today" thread I might have since it was purely a topic about yesterday. In a "Bortles is driving me nuts" that clearly is a discussion about his overall up and down nature it would be a disservice not to mention both sides of the coin since that's the exact point of the thread.

Whatever, it's no big surprise.  Keep up the good work.

(12-11-2017, 09:36 AM)Nikowho Wrote: Average or not, this is the guy Marrone and Coughlin will want to keep through next season. I had no doubts about that even midway through the season, though...

I don't think it's wise, but I have said I agree with this for weeks now. I just hope it's purely on the 5th year option and not a multi year extension.

The same defense that just shut down Wentz and the Eagles and then when Wagner went out we scored a TD on 2 straight plays from scrimmage. Bortles dropped dimes all over the field yesterday against a still very good secondary
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-11-2017, 09:44 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: The same defense that just shut down Wentz and the Eagles and then when Wagner went out we scored a TD on 2 straight plays from scrimmage. Bortles dropped dimes all over the field yesterday against a still very good secondary
Bortles is playing really well the past couple games but it's no surprise why.... It's Westbrook.

Westbrook is adding a totally new element to this offense. He always seems to make those difficult catches. That sideline catch yesterday? Beautiful. 

Blake is looking more and more comfortable and I think when you have a WR (or 3) that you trust, you're going to feel more comfortable.

(12-11-2017, 09:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 09:44 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: The same defense that just shut down Wentz and the Eagles and then when Wagner went out we scored a TD on 2 straight plays from scrimmage. Bortles dropped dimes all over the field yesterday against a still very good secondary
Bortles is playing really well the past couple games but it's no surprise why.... It's Westbrook.

Westbrook is adding a totally new element to this offense. He always seems to make those difficult catches. That sideline catch yesterday? Beautiful. 

Blake is looking more and more comfortable and I think when you have a WR (or 3) that you trust, you're going to feel more comfortable.

...and a running game and pass protection and a defense that keeps us in games. 

It all works together.

(12-11-2017, 09:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

(12-11-2017, 09:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 09:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Bortles is playing really well the past couple games but it's no surprise why.... It's Westbrook.

...and a running game and pass protection and a defense that keeps us in games. 

It all works together.

Agreed. It's amazing what confidence can do. Outside of those things, his ball placement has been superb recently. Milanovich is doing wonders for his development.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-11-2017, 09:40 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 09:36 AM)Nikowho Wrote: Average or not, this is the guy Marrone and Coughlin will want to keep through next season. I had no doubts about that even midway through the season, though...

I don't think it's wise, but I have said I agree with this for weeks now. I just hope it's purely on the 5th year option and not a multi year extension.

I think they'll wait until after next year to either sign him to an extension, or franchise him.  Or let him walk if he stinks next year.   No rush as far as I'm concerned.

(12-11-2017, 10:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 09:40 AM)Upper Wrote: I don't think it's wise, but I have said I agree with this for weeks now. I just hope it's purely on the 5th year option and not a multi year extension.

I think they'll wait until after next year to either sign him to an extension, or franchise him.  Or let him walk if he stinks next year.   No rush as far as I'm concerned.

Or you throw a longer term deal at him for a few mil under the option hit and add in incentives. Could keep him cheaper than the $19mil option
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017, 10:32 AM by The Real Marty.)

(12-11-2017, 10:30 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 10:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think they'll wait until after next year to either sign him to an extension, or franchise him.  Or let him walk if he stinks next year.   No rush as far as I'm concerned.

Or you throw a longer term deal at him for a few mil under the option hit and add in incentives. Could keep him cheaper than the $19mil option

Yes, but, caution dictates that they let him prove the last few games were not a fluke, before they throw a big contract at him, with a $50 million guarantee.

(12-11-2017, 10:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 10:30 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Or you throw a longer term deal at him for a few mil under the option hit and add in incentives. Could keep him cheaper than the $19mil option

Yes, but, caution dictates that they let him prove the last few games were not a fluke, before they throw a big contract at him, with a $50 million guarantee.

That's exactly my point. You structure the deal so there's basically nothing after say year 2 if he bombs, you cut him. If he balls out, you have incentives to pay him more, but your base salary is cheaper than it would be on the option.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-11-2017, 10:34 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 10:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Yes, but, caution dictates that they let him prove the last few games were not a fluke, before they throw a big contract at him, with a $50 million guarantee.

That's exactly my point. You structure the deal so there's basically nothing after say year 2 if he bombs, you cut him. If he balls out, you have incentives to pay him more, but your base salary is cheaper than it would be on the option.

He wouldn't sign that.  That's the contract for "old Blake."  He'll want a contract for "new Blake."

Hackett deserves more props than he's getting this year. Was wary of him but he's been a damn good play caller this year for the most part. He's been very good at creating matchups and exploiting them. Been relatively balanced. Clear he puts alot of work in studying opponents. Opening 15 play scripts usually spot on.

Is Upper TMD?
Huh