Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Allen Hurns

(01-26-2018, 08:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 08:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Id take Watkins over Lee.  An actual true deep threat.  I cant think of one deep pass Lee has ever caught in his 4 years here.
To be fair, they pretty much just make Lee run those crossers.

Lee is all but gone. That’s a given. I honestly feel like Hurns will be gone too. Robinson, Cole, Westbrook and a rookie/cheaper vet will most likely be the WR core next year.

They make him run the crossers because that's all he can do.  They have sent him on deep routes quite a few times and he just cant get enough seperation and he def. cant high point the ball or out jump the defender and get it over the top

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

ARob
Hurns
Westbrook
Cole
Mickens/Greene
Benn
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

He's one that could easily go either way depending on what else we are able to add. If Cousins does want to come Hurns is an easy cut to bridge the gap between Blake's 19 mil and what we'd give Cousins. He could also be an easy cut if we did go after a Norwell or Pugh. Cutting him and giving basically the same money to Trey Burton would probably be an overall upgrade. If we keep mostly status quo he could also stay comfortably.

I love Hurns. But I have a feeling him and Lee could be gone. Not saying I like it, but they aren't available as much as they should be. Idk
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2018, 12:14 AM by Scarecrow.)

(01-26-2018, 11:31 PM)Upper Wrote: He's one that could easily go either way depending on what else we are able to add. If Cousins does want to come Hurns is an easy cut to bridge the gap between Blake's 19 mil and what we'd give Cousins. He could also be an easy cut if we did go after a Norwell or Pugh. Cutting him and giving basically the same money to Trey Burton would probably be an overall upgrade. If we keep mostly status quo he could also stay comfortably.

If they can upgrade his spot then sure otherwise would we need the cap space this offseason even if we managed to sign Cousins?  I need to brush up on our cap situation.

(01-26-2018, 11:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: ARob
Hurns
Westbrook
Cole
Mickens/Greene
Benn

Chastin West
Laurent Robinson
Mike Thomas
Jarrett Dillard
Jason Hill
Neal Sterling

(01-27-2018, 12:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
Hurns
Westbrook
Cole
Mickens/Greene
Benn

Chastin West
Laurent Robinson
Mike Thomas
Jarrett Dillard
Jason Hill
Neal Sterling

I almost gave you a -1 just because that list is so bad in comparison.  We really are lucky as a fan base for how things have turned around.

(01-27-2018, 12:12 AM)Scarecrow Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 11:31 PM)Upper Wrote: He's one that could easily go either way depending on what else we are able to add. If Cousins does want to come Hurns is an easy cut to bridge the gap between Blake's 19 mil and what we'd give Cousins. He could also be an easy cut if we did go after a Norwell or Pugh. Cutting him and giving basically the same money to Trey Burton would probably be an overall upgrade. If we keep mostly status quo he could also stay comfortably.

If they can upgrade his spot then sure otherwise would we need the cap space this offseason even if we managed to sign Cousins?  I need to brush up on our cap situation.

We have 17 million in effective cap space (https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/). We have the most money in the entire league committed to 2018, and we have the 3rd most rollover cap. The cap should rise around 5 mil more than our rookie pool so we're probably looking at low 20s in cap space. Cutting Bortles and signing Cousins will cost 8-10 mil more and tagging Arob is 16 million.

That'll put us negative a few million. Cutting Ivory is probably the obvious cut that saves 3.5 million so that would put us right around 0, give or take a bit obviously. If we want to make any other moves to sign a TE or G or nickel to replace Colvin we would have to start looking into cutting Hurns (7M savings), Marcedes (3.5M), Abry Jones (3.5M), etc.

(01-27-2018, 12:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
Hurns
Westbrook
Cole
Mickens/Greene
Benn

Chastin West
Laurent Robinson
Mike Thomas
Jarrett Dillard
Jason Hill
Neal Sterling

Isnt it great how far we've come?

I mean, Lee had 50 catches for 700 with 3 scores and no one wants him back.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-28-2018, 05:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 12:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Chastin West
Laurent Robinson
Mike Thomas
Jarrett Dillard
Jason Hill
Neal Sterling

Every offseason hoping Mike Brown would follow on from his training camp play and be useful

(01-28-2018, 05:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 12:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Chastin West
Laurent Robinson
Mike Thomas
Jarrett Dillard
Jason Hill
Neal Sterling

That's pretty much what Lee is, in a nutshell. Just a 700-800 yard guy that will give you about 3 touchdowns per year.

(01-28-2018, 06:06 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 05:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Isnt it great how far we've come?

That's pretty much what Lee is, in a nutshell. Just a 700-800 yard guy that will give you about 3 touchdowns per year.

Agreed. He's not especially big, not especially fast, isn't the best route runner and has a tendency to drop catchable passes. To me, he's just a meh, receiver.

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2018, 06:26 PM by Etdavis2006.)

(01-27-2018, 01:55 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 12:12 AM)Scarecrow Wrote: If they can upgrade his spot then sure otherwise would we need the cap space this offseason even if we managed to sign Cousins?  I need to brush up on our cap situation.

We have 17 million in effective cap space (https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/). We have the most money in the entire league committed to 2018, and we have the 3rd most rollover cap. The cap should rise around 5 mil more than our rookie pool so we're probably looking at low 20s in cap space. Cutting Bortles and signing Cousins will cost 8-10 mil more and tagging Arob is 16 million.

That'll put us negative a few million. Cutting Ivory is probably the obvious cut that saves 3.5 million so that would put us right around 0, give or take a bit obviously. If we want to make any other moves to sign a TE or G or nickel to replace Colvin we would have to start looking into cutting Hurns (7M savings), Marcedes (3.5M), Abry Jones (3.5M), etc.

Sportstrac has us at 25 million in cap space before any cuts.

(01-28-2018, 06:26 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 01:55 AM)Upper Wrote: We have 17 million in effective cap space (https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/). We have the most money in the entire league committed to 2018, and we have the 3rd most rollover cap. The cap should rise around 5 mil more than our rookie pool so we're probably looking at low 20s in cap space. Cutting Bortles and signing Cousins will cost 8-10 mil more and tagging Arob is 16 million.

Sportstrac has us at 25 million in cap space before any cuts.

Does that include Bortles' $19 million option for 2018?

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2018, 06:33 PM by Jest101.)

(01-28-2018, 06:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 06:26 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Sportstrac has us at 25 million in cap space before any cuts.

Yes

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/cap/

(01-28-2018, 06:33 PM)Jest101 Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 06:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Does that include Bortles' $19 million option for 2018?

Yes

There shouldn't be any reason we couldn't afford Aaron Colvin then.  Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2018, 06:51 PM by Etdavis2006.)

(01-28-2018, 06:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 06:26 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Sportstrac has us at 25 million in cap space before any cuts.

Yep. I think the difference in the two is the adjusted cap number. Sportstrac shows were they have the adjusted salary cap due to our massive amount of roll over cap space. 

At 25 million, cuting Blake nets another 19, cutting Hurns nets another 7, Ivory for 4 and Jones for 4. This is a total of 59 million lol. That’s crazy right. We could make other cuts like Malik, Parnell or Dareus to get even more but I don’t see those guys going anywhere. These three players (not counting Blake) could be replaced easily with rookies. 

Rookie salaries would count for about 8 so 51 million. More than enough to get Cousins at 27 (if the team deems it necessary) and keep A Rob at 13 a year (Alshon Jefferies deal maybe even less). That’s would leave us at 11 million to rollover for the future.

But on topic, it depends. If we are going after Cousins we proly have to cut Hurns to get him and keep A rob. If we are going to keep Blake and maybe draft a rookie then we would definitely keep Hurns. I like Hurns and he would be a reliable target.

(01-28-2018, 06:45 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 06:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Does that include Bortles' $19 million option for 2018?

Yep. I think the difference in the two is the adjusted cap number. Sportstrac shows were they have the adjusted salary cap due to our massive amount of roll over cap space. 

At 25 million, cuting Blake nets another 19, cutting Hurns nets another 7, Ivory for 4 and Jones for 4. This is a total of 59 million lol. That’s crazy right. We could make other cuts like Malik, Parnell or Dareus to get even more but I don’t see those guys going anywhere. These three players (not counting Blake) could be replaced easily with rookies. 

Rookie salaries would count for about 8 so 51 million. More than enough to get Cousins at 27 (if the team deems it necessary) and keep A Rob at 13 a year (Alshon Jefferies deal maybe even less). That’s would leave us at 11 million to rollover for the future.

Button topic, it depends. If we are going after Cousins we proly have to cut Hurns to get him a and keep A rob. If we are going to keep Blake and mayb draft a rookie then we would definitely keep Hurns. I like humans would be a reliable target.

That would be for this year though. Signing Cousins would mean cap disaster in the near future. I don't wanna cut Hurns and I disagree vehemently about "easily replacing" Malik, Parnell and Dareus with rookies. We only have so many draft picks anyway and even if you do sign Cousins, we still need a TE and at least one starter at OG and a replacement for Poz. If you're talking about trying to replace Malik, Parnell and Dareus on top of that, you are creating too many needs. As it stands now our only real needs are QB, TE, interior O-Line and LB, assuming we re-sign Colvin. Cutting key players would set this team back, because we don't have enough draft picks to fill that many needs, even if we miraculously "struck gold" on all of our selections.

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2018, 07:26 PM by Etdavis2006.)

(01-28-2018, 06:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 06:45 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Yep. I think the difference in the two is the adjusted cap number. Sportstrac shows were they have the adjusted salary cap due to our massive amount of roll over cap space. 

Button topic, it depends. If we are going after Cousins we proly have to cut Hurns to get him a and keep A rob. If we are going to keep Blake and mayb draft a rookie then we would definitely keep Hurns. I like humans would be a reliable target.

That would be for this year though. Signing Cousins would mean cap disaster in the near future. I don't wanna cut Hurns and I disagree vehemently about "easily replacing" Malik, Parnell and Dareus with rookies. We only have so many draft picks anyway and even if you do sign Cousins, we still need a TE and at least one starter at OG and a replacement for Poz. If you're talking about trying to replace Malik, Parnell and Dareus on top of that, you are creating too many needs. As it stands now our only real needs are QB, TE, interior O-Line and LB, assuming we re-sign Colvin. Cutting key players would set this team back, because we don't have enough draft picks to fill that many needs, even if we miraculously "struck gold" on all of our selections.

I’m sorry. I wrote that incorrectly. The players I was talking about cutting and replacing easily would be Hurns, Jones and Ivory. I would think if they go after Cousins then the first 3-4 draft picks would proly be to beef up the offense with TE, Oline and maybe another Wideout/running back. Maybe both. That’s assuming we even go after Cousins. I don’t see Colvin coming back because we aren’t gonna pay him 10-12 million and he is almost guaranteed to get that on the open market. 

I agree that Cousins would basically put us in cap hell in the next 2 years and we would be unable to retain key players like Ramsey, Yannick and Jack. I would rather we keep Blake and draft a qb but I’m not making the decisions. It is very possible this team deems it necessary to go after Cousins and if so they need to have some sort of future plan for our other players who will need to get paid.

The thing is, the reason we have such a deep roster is because we aren’t paying a qb big bucks. At some point that’s gonna happen. Either Blake take another step and earns a 25 million plus contract next year or we sign Cousins to a 25 million dollar contract this year. Either way you paying a qb and gonna have to cut some guys and lose some players.

So your options are to swing for the fence with Cousins because he is an upgrade and see what you can do over the next 2 years or draft a young qb so you have more cap space to keep the roster strong as possible and they can carry him. The second option is my choice but Coughlin is extremely aggressive when it comes to winning as we have seen. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this team make Cousins the highest paid guy and deal with the consequences later. That’s not what I want to see. I like option 2 lol