Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Signs Extension through 2020

(02-27-2018, 03:50 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 10:08 PM)joe8931 Wrote: The  Jag's  did  the  right  thing.  As  far  as  I  know,  they  can  terminate  him  anytime.   Hopefully,  he  will  not  be  like  David  Guarrard ,  who  never  repeated  his  best  year,  and  never  played  at  a  high  level  after  getting  the  money.

Back injuries impacted his ability to play.

Back injuries affected him much later.  He got fat and out of shape the year following his new contract.  He could have played the line.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-26-2018, 09:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJj3WwIzEM0&t=315s

This finally explains the incentives... or at least partially explains them.

Eisen is saying he'll earn an incentive should he make Super Bowl MVP. I'm presuming this is the only incentive and there aren't more ways to earn part of the $12.5 mil. 

Now his incentives total $12.5 mil, so I take it he'll earn $4.13 mil for making MVP during any year under contract, and that he'd earn it all if he makes MVP in all three years.

...either that, or he can only earn it once but he earns the entire $12.5 mil if he makes MVP.

'02

(02-26-2018, 10:08 PM)joe8931 Wrote: The  Jag's  did  the  right  thing.  As  far  as  I  know,  they  can  terminate  him  anytime.   Hopefully,  he  will  not  be  like  David  Guarrard ,  who  never  repeated  his  best  year,  and  never  played  at  a  high  level  after  getting  the  money.

Technically any player can be terminated at any time; it's just a matter of how the termination impacts the books.

I'll try to keep this real simple by making a quick list of how much he'll cost depending on when he's released...
  • If released now, he'll cost $26.5 mil in the books this year as dead money. If he plays, he'll cost $10 mil.
  • If released after the season, he'll cost anywhere from $10 mil to $16.5 mil as dead money depending on his next contract with another team. If he plays he'll cost $21 mil in 2019.
  • If released after 2019, he'll cost $5 mil as dead money. If he plays he'll cost $23 mil in 2020.

'02

(02-27-2018, 05:54 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 09:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJj3WwIzEM0&t=315s

Eisen is saying he'll earn an incentive should he make Super Bowl MVP. [b]I'm presuming this is the only incentive and there aren't more ways to earn part of the $12.5 mil. 

Now his incentives total $12.5 mil, so I take it he'll earn $4.13 mil for making MVP during any year under contract, and that he'd earn it all if he makes MVP in all three years.

...either that, or he can only earn it once but he earns the entire $12.5 mil if he makes MVP.

[/b]
Pretty sure there are other incentives than just SB MVP. That would be pretty ridiculous
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(02-27-2018, 10:49 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 05:54 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

Eisen is saying he'll earn an incentive should he make Super Bowl MVP. [b]I'm presuming this is the only incentive and there aren't more ways to earn part of the $12.5 mil. 

[/b]
Pretty sure there are other incentives than just SB MVP. That would be pretty ridiculous

It sure would be nice if someone in the media would spell it out for us.
'02

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2018, 07:25 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

Interesting tidbit on Bortles' contract extension explained by Andrew Brandt on the RTFP #805.

Starting at the 11:50 mark, Andrew explains that $6.5 million of the additional $7.5 million guaranteed amount he got over the $19 million guaranteed option salary is an offset guarantee which means if he's cut after this coming season and he's signed by another team as long as the salary the hypothetical next team gives him exceeds that $6.5 million, the Jags won't be on the hook for any of it.  This means it's essentially a 1 year deal with team options for years 2 and 3 like originally thought.  Even in a worst case scenario for Bortles where he stinks it up this year and is cut at year's end, you'd have to assume he'd still be signed somewhere else next year for more than $6.5 million even in a back up role.  Even it it's less, we'd only be on the hook for the difference next year which wouldn't give us any pause to part ways if it's apparent we need to.

Again, you have to wonder why Bortles and his agent would agree to such a deal as it has given away 2 years of his rights for a total guarantee of $7.5 million.  Kudos to the front office for being able to put the team in this position at QB.  And thanks again to Blake for signing the deal.  You'd have to expect a QB to be drafted high by the Jags this offseason and for there to be a truly open competition at QB in camp which you would expect Blake to win, but his seat this season will be on fire.  Maybe that's exactly what he needs.

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2018, 07:49 PM by The_Franchise_QB.)

(02-28-2018, 06:10 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Interesting tidbit on Bortles' contract extension explained by Andrew Brandt on the RTFP #805.

Starting at the 11:50 mark, Andrew explains that $6.5 million of the additional $7.5 million guaranteed amount he got over the $19 million guaranteed option salary is an offset guarantee which means if he's cut after this coming season and he's signed by another team as long as the salary the hypothetical next team gives him exceeds that $6.5 million, the Jags won't be on the hook for any of it.  This means it's essentially a 1 year deal with team options for years 2 and 3 like originally thought.  Even in a worst case scenario for Bortles where he stinks it up this year and is cut at year's end, you'd have to assume he'd still be signed somewhere else next year for more than $6.5 million even in a back up role.  Even it it's less, we'd only be on the hook for the difference next year which wouldn't give us any pause to part ways if it's apparent we need to.

Again, you have to wonder why Bortles and his agent would agree to such a deal as it has given away 2 years of his rights for a total guarantee of $7.5 million.  Kudos to the front office for being able to put the team in this position at QB.  And thanks again to Blake for signing the deal.  You'd have to expect a QB to be drafted high by the Jags this offseason and for there to be a truly open competition at QB in camp which you would expect Blake to win, but his seat this season will be on fire.  Maybe that's exactly what he needs.

He is guaranteed 10M this season . So if cut after the season he will be owed 10-16.5M. So I believe best case scenario is 10M dead, but if he stinks it up why would someone offer more that 6.5M? Foles was on a 2 yr 11M deal avg of 5.5M. Someone is going to pay Bortles more if he stinks? It's either he is good, and he stays for 21M next season or cut and lose between 10-16.5M. 

This info was according to spotrac.

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2018, 08:03 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(02-28-2018, 07:45 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 06:10 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Interesting tidbit on Bortles' contract extension explained by Andrew Brandt on the RTFP #805.

He is guaranteed 10M this season . So if cut after the season he will be owed 10-16.5M. So I believe best case scenario is 10M dead, but if he stinks it up why would someone offer more that 6.5M? Foles was on a 2 yr 11M deal avg of 5.5M. Someone is going to pay Bortles more if he stinks? It's either he is good, and he stays for 21M next season or cut and lose between 10-16.5M. 

You're confusing cap hit with what he will actually earn this season which is $20 million which will be $20 of the $26.5 guaranteed.  He will only be guaranteed $6.5 million going into next season.  Whether it will be us paying it or another team will be determined this coming season.  This information is on spotrac like you mentioned.

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2018, 08:25 PM by The_Franchise_QB.)

(02-28-2018, 08:02 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 07:45 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: He is guaranteed 10M this season . So if cut after the season he will be owed 10-16.5M. So I believe best case scenario is 10M dead, but if he stinks it up why would someone offer more that 6.5M? Foles was on a 2 yr 11M deal avg of 5.5M. Someone is going to pay Bortles more if he stinks? It's either he is good, and he stays for 21M next season or cut and lose between 10-16.5M. 

You're confusing cap hit with what he will actually earn this season which is $20 million which will be $20 of the $26.5 guaranteed.  He will only be guaranteed $6.5 million going into next season.  Whether it will be us paying it or another team will be determined this coming season.  This information is on spotrac like you mentioned.

Is the signing bonus not pro-rated? I thought that was how they were able to get his 2018 salary down to 10M. I understand his cash earning is 20M and cap hit 10M. I was under the impression the 15M was pro rated.

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2018, 08:36 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(02-28-2018, 08:24 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 08:02 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: You're confusing cap hit with what he will actually earn this season which is $20 million which will be $20 of the $26.5 guaranteed.  He will only be guaranteed $6.5 million going into next season.  Whether it will be us paying it or another team will be determined this coming season.  This information is on spotrac like you mentioned.

Is the signing bonus not pro-rated?

It is, but there's nothing the team can do about it except recognize all remaining $10 million in 2019 or $5 million of it in 2019 and the last $5 million in 2020.  If they feel it's time to move on, they're not going to keep him and pay him his $16 million base salary in 2019 just to move that $5 million signing bonus out to the last year of the deal.  If Bortles is cut or traded, that dead cap number you see for 2019 would drop by the $6.5 million thanks to the offset in his contract and be reduced to $10 million to reflect just the remaining signing bonus if realized all that year.  $10 million sounds like a big hit but it really isn't when it's either $10 million in 2019 or $5 and $5 as I mentioned above.  This deal isn't designed to stop them from moving on from Blake after this season if they want which for a moment I thought it was.

(02-28-2018, 08:32 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 08:24 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Is the signing bonus not pro-rated?

It is, but there's nothing the team can do about it except recognize all remaining $10 million in 2019 or $5 million of it in 2019 and the last $5 million in 2020.  If they feel it's time to move on, they're not going to keep him and pay him his $16 million base salary in 2019 just to move that $5 million signing bonus out to the last year of the deal.  If Bortles is cut or traded, that dead cap number you see for 2019 would drop by the $6.5 million thanks to the offset in his contract and be reduced to $10 million to reflect just the remaining signing bonus if realized all that year.  $10 million sounds like a big hit but it really isn't when it's either $10 million in 2019 or $5 and $5 as I mentioned above.  This deal isn't designed to stop them from moving on from Blake after this season if they want which for a moment I thought it was.

Right, which is why I mentioned in an earlier post that if cut after this season his dead is 10-16.5M. IF he bombs, who would pay him more than 6.5M? I used the example of Foles, he avg'd 5.5M. IF he plays decent then yes I can see someone paying him more. Still though 10M in dead $ IMO is a lot, when if the actual plan is to move on after the season just give him 19M option this season and move on. They opened room this season for Arob and a possible FA OG, but it'll hurt next season.

(02-28-2018, 08:24 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 08:02 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: You're confusing cap hit with what he will actually earn this season which is $20 million which will be $20 of the $26.5 guaranteed.  He will only be guaranteed $6.5 million going into next season.  Whether it will be us paying it or another team will be determined this coming season.  This information is on spotrac like you mentioned.

Is the signing bonus not pro-rated? I thought that was how they were able to get his 2018 salary down to 10M. I understand his cash earning is 20M and cap hit 10M. I was under the impression the 15M was pro rated.

On the books it is pro rated.
Bortles is guaranteed 20 mill this year and 6.5 next year

(02-28-2018, 08:49 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 08:32 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: It is, but there's nothing the team can do about it except recognize all remaining $10 million in 2019 or $5 million of it in 2019 and the last $5 million in 2020.  If they feel it's time to move on, they're not going to keep him and pay him his $16 million base salary in 2019 just to move that $5 million signing bonus out to the last year of the deal.  If Bortles is cut or traded, that dead cap number you see for 2019 would drop by the $6.5 million thanks to the offset in his contract and be reduced to $10 million to reflect just the remaining signing bonus if realized all that year.  $10 million sounds like a big hit but it really isn't when it's either $10 million in 2019 or $5 and $5 as I mentioned above.  This deal isn't designed to stop them from moving on from Blake after this season if they want which for a moment I thought it was.

Right, which is why I mentioned in an earlier post that if cut after this season his dead is 10-16.5M. IF he bombs, who would pay him more than 6.5M? I used the example of Foles, he avg'd 5.5M. IF he plays decent then yes I can see someone paying him more. Still though 10M in dead $ IMO is a lot, when if the actual plan is to move on after the season just give him 19M option this season and move on. They opened room this season for Arob and a possible FA OG, but it'll hurt next season.

Oh I would have preferred the option myself, but the $10 million isn't as bad on 2nd glance when you consider the likely successor if Bortles is out of here after the season would be on a very team friendly rookie deal.  Bortles would have to bomb pretty bad or have a significant injury to not make something in the ball park of at least $6.5 million next year if not more.  And again, it's either $10 million next year and be done with his cap hits, or it's pay him his $16 million base for a 2019 cap hit of $16.5 million AND still have another $5 million cap hit in 2020 coming.  The only way they're paying him next year is if he is the bona fide starter of this team without any question.

(02-28-2018, 09:43 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 08:49 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Right, which is why I mentioned in an earlier post that if cut after this season his dead is 10-16.5M. IF he bombs, who would pay him more than 6.5M? I used the example of Foles, he avg'd 5.5M. IF he plays decent then yes I can see someone paying him more. Still though 10M in dead $ IMO is a lot, when if the actual plan is to move on after the season just give him 19M option this season and move on. They opened room this season for Arob and a possible FA OG, but it'll hurt next season.

Oh I would have preferred the option myself, but the $10 million isn't as bad on 2nd glance when you consider the likely successor if Bortles is out of here after the season would be on a very team friendly rookie deal.  Bortles would have to bomb pretty bad or have a significant injury to not make something in the ball park of at least $6.5 million next year if not more.  And again, it's either $10 million next year and be done with his cap hits, or it's pay him his $16 million base for a 2019 cap hit of $16.5 million AND still have another $5 million cap hit in 2020 coming.  The only way they're paying him next year is if he is the bona fide starter of this team without any question.
If Bortles bombs,  I think the best example we can use is how much Glennon makes this offseason. Bortles contract is in a way the Glennon contract, but with much more dead money. Glennon only cost the Bears 6M moving forward. He will be paid to be a back up. Back ups don't really get 7M+. We will see though if that changes. If Bortles bombs, he won't be looked in a starter view or even as a bridge QB because this is the bridge contract. Best case scenario is Bortles just plays very well and earns the money, rather than playing below average and being cut and costing the Jags 10-16.5M in dead. It makes no sense to have a QB in the 23M range and back up 7M+. Worst case is he bombs and costs the Jags 16.5M.

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2018, 01:58 AM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

(02-28-2018, 11:30 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 09:43 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Oh I would have preferred the option myself, but the $10 million isn't as bad on 2nd glance when you consider the likely successor if Bortles is out of here after the season would be on a very team friendly rookie deal.  Bortles would have to bomb pretty bad or have a significant injury to not make something in the ball park of at least $6.5 million next year if not more.  And again, it's either $10 million next year and be done with his cap hits, or it's pay him his $16 million base for a 2019 cap hit of $16.5 million AND still have another $5 million cap hit in 2020 coming.  The only way they're paying him next year is if he is the bona fide starter of this team without any question.
If Bortles bombs,  I think the best example we can use is how much Glennon makes this offseason. Bortles contract is in a way the Glennon contract, but with much more dead money. Glennon only cost the Bears 6M moving forward. He will be paid to be a back up. Back ups don't really get 7M+. We will see though if that changes. If Bortles bombs, he won't be looked in a starter view or even as a bridge QB because this is the bridge contract. Best case scenario is Bortles just plays very well and earns the money, rather than playing below average and being cut and costing the Jags 10-16.5M in dead. It makes no sense to have a QB in the 23M range and back up 7M+. Worst case is he bombs and costs the Jags 16.5M.
If Bortles bombs....what's the plan? Roll it up and let it go?

That's why I want the Jaguars to bring in A. J. McCarron and get him signed.

10 million per year for four years. If he is the starting QB - 5 mill. If the Jaguars make the playoffs, add three million. 1 million extra for each of the wild card and divisional games, and if he takes us to the AFC title game - two million for that. If he wins the AFC title game - 2.5 million up front and 2.5 million more for the SB win.

Without some kind of signing bonus that's a max of $27 million provided he win the starting job(+5 mil), make the playoffs(+3 mil), wild card (+1 mil), divisional (+1 mil.), conference title (+2 mil.), and Super Bowl appearance, on top of base 10 mil. equals $24.5 million. Super Bowl win (+2.5 mil) brings the total compensation to $27 million he will have EARNED.

If A. J. McCarron can lead the Jaguars to the Super Bowl next season, these a few of these make-ables values can be stratified as base salary for the trailing years of his contract.

Seems fair. Both sides acknowledge McCarron doesn't have starting NFL experience and both sides agree to allow McCarron to compete for the starting QB job, something he was denied under Marvin Lewis.

McCarron needs to push Blake Bortles to make him into a tougher competitor. McCarron is better suited for the Jaguars offense. 

His experience at Alabama is a plus. 

One thing undeniable, McCarron never dropped off when a new crop of tight ends, wide receivers and running backs hit the scene. He won two championships in a program that constantly changed personnel. There's wisdom in this.

(03-01-2018, 01:57 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 11:30 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: If Bortles bombs,  I think the best example we can use is how much Glennon makes this offseason. Bortles contract is in a way the Glennon contract, but with much more dead money. Glennon only cost the Bears 6M moving forward. He will be paid to be a back up. Back ups don't really get 7M+. We will see though if that changes. If Bortles bombs, he won't be looked in a starter view or even as a bridge QB because this is the bridge contract. Best case scenario is Bortles just plays very well and earns the money, rather than playing below average and being cut and costing the Jags 10-16.5M in dead. It makes no sense to have a QB in the 23M range and back up 7M+. Worst case is he bombs and costs the Jags 16.5M.

10 million per year for four years. If he is the starting QB - 5 mill. If the Jaguars make the playoffs, add three million. 1 million extra for each of the wild card and divisional games, and if he takes us to the AFC title game - two million for that. If he wins the AFC title game - 2.5 million up front and 2.5 million more for the SB win.

Without some kind of signing bonus that's a max of $27 million provided he win the starting job(+5 mil), make the playoffs(+3 mil), wild card (+1 mil), divisional (+1 mil.), conference title (+2 mil.), and Super Bowl appearance, on top of base 10 mil. equals $24.5 million. Super Bowl win (+2.5 mil) brings the total compensation to $27 million he will have EARNED.

If A. J. McCarron can lead the Jaguars to the Super Bowl next season, these a few of these make-ables values can be stratified as base salary for the trailing years of his contract.

Seems fair. Both sides acknowledge McCarron doesn't have starting NFL experience and both sides agree to allow McCarron to compete for the starting QB job, something he was denied under Marvin Lewis.

McCarron needs to push Blake Bortles to make him into a tougher competitor. McCarron is better suited for the Jaguars offense. 

One thing undeniable, McCarron never dropped off when a new crop of tight ends, wide receivers and running backs hit the scene. He won two championships in a program that constantly changed personnel. There's wisdom in this.

"There's wisdom in this."

(03-01-2018, 01:57 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 11:30 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: If Bortles bombs,  I think the best example we can use is how much Glennon makes this offseason. Bortles contract is in a way the Glennon contract, but with much more dead money. Glennon only cost the Bears 6M moving forward. He will be paid to be a back up. Back ups don't really get 7M+. We will see though if that changes. If Bortles bombs, he won't be looked in a starter view or even as a bridge QB because this is the bridge contract. Best case scenario is Bortles just plays very well and earns the money, rather than playing below average and being cut and costing the Jags 10-16.5M in dead. It makes no sense to have a QB in the 23M range and back up 7M+. Worst case is he bombs and costs the Jags 16.5M.

LOL. You want to pay two quarterbacks 10M+? There is not one team in the league with that. Last season there was only one team with two, the Dolphins, who signed 34 y/o vet Cutler 10M on a one year deal to try and salvage the season when Tannehill (20M) went down. This team really is in no position to be flinging money around. Look ahead to 2019 cap space as is. Jags are currently 31st in 2019 cap space. Cutting bait on Bortles and eating 10-16.5M frees up SOME money, but IMO he is here minimum two seasons. Now the Jags could attempt to keep Arob, Colvin, and go after a OG in FA.. but keep in mind that would mean come 2019 some good players will be cut as casualties. 2018 appears to be the best chance for this team to succeed with everyone intact + draft picks.

(03-01-2018, 03:34 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 01:57 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: If Bortles bombs....what's the plan? Roll it up and let it go?

LOL. You want to pay two quarterbacks 10M+? There is not one team in the league with that. Last season there was only one team with two, the Dolphins, who signed 34 y/o vet Cutler 10M on a one year deal to try and salvage the season when Tannehill (20M) went down. This team really is in no position to be flinging money around. Look ahead to 2019 cap space as is. Jags are currently 31st in 2019 cap space. Cutting bait on Bortles and eating 10-16.5M frees up SOME money, but IMO he is here minimum two seasons. Now the Jags could attempt to keep Arob, Colvin, and go after a OG in FA.. but keep in mind that would mean come 2019 some good players will be cut as casualties. 2018 appears to be the best chance for this team to succeed with everyone intact + draft picks.

Dareus, Campbell, and Jackson will not play here on their 2019 numbers, that'll fix the cap when they age out, work new deals, or refuse to renegotiate and get cut. The Caldwell Plan keeps the cap healthy long term by paying front loaded contracts with little dead money after the second year, just like BB5's deal.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Lol McCarron was god at Alabama which translates to being god in the NFL. MUST SIGN HIM!