Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What happens if ARob doesn't return?

(03-04-2018, 11:48 PM)Upper Wrote: The old saying there is no such thing as a bad one year deal definitely applies here with the franchise tag. There is no real way it hurts us. We have more than enough cap room to tag Arob and upgrade the rest of the team. Doing this should have specifically been what backloading Bortles' contract is for.

And if we are dead set on sticking with what we had last year we should at least tag and trade him like the Dolphins are doing with Landry. There is a sizeable market for Landry and Arob is better than Landry. This just makes no sense from any angle.
Agree. We are not mortgaging any future by placing the tag on him, just giving ourselves time for him to prove himself worthy of a big long term contract.

Now it's looking 95% certain he will be gone, let's go back to the original question of this thread: what happens now?

Sammy Watkins anyone?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-04-2018, 10:32 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: RosterWatch also said they expect AROb to get 10-12M a year with 25M guaranteed.

I’m going to be pretty upset if that’s all it takes to sign him and we let him go.

If Jags don't come to that sort of agreement with Arob, then they must not be very confident with his knee.

(03-04-2018, 11:58 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 11:48 PM)Upper Wrote: The old saying there is no such thing as a bad one year deal definitely applies here with the franchise tag. There is no real way it hurts us. We have more than enough cap room to tag Arob and upgrade the rest of the team. Doing this should have specifically been what backloading Bortles' contract is for.

And if we are dead set on sticking with what we had last year we should at least tag and trade him like the Dolphins are doing with Landry. There is a sizeable market for Landry and Arob is better than Landry. This just makes no sense from any angle.
Agree. We are not mortgaging any future by placing the tag on him, just giving ourselves time for him to prove himself worthy of a big long term contract.

Now it's looking 95% certain he will be gone, let's go back to the original question of this thread: what happens now?

Sammy Watkins anyone?

why is everyone so sure that he will  be gone? Did i miss something? I mean all the reports i have heard are that it would take a while for hm to come to an agreement but i heard nothing about him leaving. I've even heard that they would probably not use the tag but the deal would probably take them to the deadline to complete. where did the 95% certain he is gone come from?

I totally agree they should tag him.

All indications are they won't, but I hoping that's a huge smokescreen and they end up keeping him anyways. 

'02

Lee instead of AR is crazy. Yeah hopefully its a smokescreen.
No Fun

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2018, 09:41 AM by Etdavis2006.)

I really like AR but I think he wants close to Antonio Brown money and believes he can get it from some other team. He ain’t worth that. He had one really good season and has missed a bunch of games. Our best season happen without him. I know he wants to get paid and I’m not mad about it. Go get your payday and I wish him well. The jags will move on and draft a big body in round 3-4

The one thing that makes me feel positive about letting ARob go is Caldwell's track record finding WRs who can come in and contribute immediately without giving up serious equity to obtain them. Still, it's far from a given that we can keep relying on undrafted rookies and midseason cuts to keep us going...

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2018, 09:48 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-04-2018, 09:08 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/rosterwatch/s...3319942144

And ARob liked the tweet.

https://sportsnaut.com/2018/03/allen-rob...chise-tag/

If ARob isn't coming back, then I'd rather lose both of them. Lee is a complete waste of money. His skill set shows he is nothing more than a 3rd receiver. He's an average route runner with suspect hands who lacks separation speed.

(03-05-2018, 09:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 09:08 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/rosterwatch/s...3319942144

If ARob isn't coming back, then I'd rather lose both of them. Lee is a complete waste of money. His skill set shows he is nothing more than a 3rd receiver. He's an average route runner with suspect hands who lacks separation speed.
100% agree. I want no part of Lee.

(03-05-2018, 09:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

And the crazy thing is he was completely electric in College. On a whole different level than most others in that stacked draft

Maybe, as someone pointed out above, the Jaguars know something more than we do about his knee. I realize, given the collective IQ and resources here, that this is unlikely but I will hold out that possibility.

Seriously, though, I think what was said yesterday (Khanm?) that the Jags probably don't want to pay him $16 mill on the franchise tag for 800 yds and 6 TDs on his ACL comeback year and then watch him walk away anyway a year from now.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

lol can’t wait for the meltdown when Robinson signs with SF and puts up Julio numbers.

ARob was awesome in 2015, out jumping the defender for the balls and hauling in 1400 yards. To me, in 2016, he was average, hauling in just 883 yards and his YPC was down significantly. Going forward, if you believe ARob to be 2015, sign him LT or tag him. If you think he is 2016 going forward, let him walk.

(03-05-2018, 12:50 PM)ATLjag Wrote: ARob was awesome in 2015, out jumping the defender for the balls and hauling in 1400 yards.  To me, in 2016, he was average, hauling in just 883 yards and his YPC was down significantly.   Going forward, if you believe ARob to be 2015, sign him LT or tag him.  If you think he is 2016 going forward, let him walk.
He's a mix between the 2. Blake was really bad in 2016 which attributed to ARobs down year. The coaching now is so much better than it was with Gus that ARob would have surely benefited from that just like every other player did. He's a reliable WR and a great redzone threat (something we definitely missed). I think you could expect 70 for 1150 and 8-10 TDs from ARob.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2018, 02:23 PM by NFL Scout.)

Resigning priorities:
1) Allen Robinson, Wide receiver
2) Aaron Colvin, Cornerback
3) Marqise Lee, Wide receiver

Top 3 FA targets:
1) Andrew Norwell OG, Carolina Panthers - One of the top players available in free agency. Norwell can play in any scheme and be an immediate impact player in Jacksonville's offense.
2) Justin Pugh OG, New York Giants - Would be a backup option to Norwell. Familiarity with Coughlin -- and versatility to play OG or RT -- would make him a nice addition.
3) Tyler Eifert TE, Cincinnati Bengals - Shouldn't command a top contract. Low risk signing to allow addition of another TE later in the draft.

Top 3 draft targets (based on fit and range):
1) Will Hernandez OG, UTEP (1st) - Perfect fit for Jacksonville. Wouldn't be surprised to see them sign one of the guards above will also adding a guy like Hernandez early in the draft. Ideal target with a trade down but wouldn't be much of a reach at the backend of the first-round.
2) Hayden Hurst TE, South Carolina (2nd) - Already 24 years old but could contribute immediately. Well rounded prospect who would mesh well with Bortles.
3) Lamar Jackson QB, Louisville (1st) - The likelihood of drafting a QB in the first-round is slim considering the Bortles extension. If Jackson is available, he may be too good to pass up.

Jordan Matthews had a poor year in BUF after some nice seasons with PHI. He could be had pretty cheap. Also Terrelle Pryor. Can pay Pugh and Matthews for same price as Arob.

(03-05-2018, 02:50 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Jordan Matthews had a poor year in BUF after some nice seasons with PHI. He could be had pretty cheap. Also Terrelle Pryor. Can pay Pugh and Matthews for same price as Arob.

Matthews would be our 3rd/4th best receiver and is meh. Pryor is bad.

(03-05-2018, 03:13 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 02:50 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Jordan Matthews had a poor year in BUF after some nice seasons with PHI. He could be had pretty cheap. Also Terrelle Pryor. Can pay Pugh and Matthews for same price as Arob.

Matthews would be our 3rd/4th best receiver and is meh. Pryor is bad.
Totally agree.

You want to help Blake and Fournette get that 8th man out of the box? Sign ARob.

(03-05-2018, 03:14 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 03:13 PM)JackCity Wrote: Matthews would be our 3rd/4th best receiver and is meh. Pryor is bad.
Totally agree.

You want to help Blake and Fournette get that 8th man out of the box? Sign ARob.

Sign Arob and go 3 wide with Cole + Dede + pass catching TE. 

8 men boxes will vanish.

(03-05-2018, 09:40 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: I really like AR but I think he wants close to Antonio Brown money and believes he can get it from some other team. He ain’t worth that. He had one really good season and has missed a bunch of games. Our best season happen without him. I know he wants to get paid and I’m not mad about it. Go get your payday and I wish him well. The jags will move on and draft a big body in round 3-4

The problem is that it's been hard to gauge just how good Robinson has been with Bortles at quarterback. I agree that he's not Antonio Brown, but he can be a top-tier receiver in the NFL. The last thing Jacksonville wants to do is start letting talented guys walk like the Browns have recently (i.e. Mitchell Schwartz, Tashaun Gipson, etc.).