Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft rumors

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2018, 12:10 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-12-2018, 09:41 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 08:51 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Ryan Groy played well when used, he should take one of the OG spots. They could use 2 of their remaining picks to add a Center and either an OG or RT.

Groy is okay but nothing special.

But even taking your assessment of their OL at face value (not impugning you here), what does Buffalo do at WR?

To put their WRs in context, Keelan Cole, who only started 6 games for us last year as an undrafted rookie, outperformed all of their receivers last year.

Dede Westbrook outperformed every receiver they had except Deonte Thompson, and he's no longer there.

They are also talking about throwing in Shady McCoy in a trade?

If they manage to pull off the trade to #2 overall, whatever QB they get will have NOTHING around him.

Assuming the trade goes through, the Bills will still have draft picks. I'm going to assume that at least one of the second round selections is a future pick in 2019. So this year, they would be trading picks #12, #22, #53,#96 and then they would give up a 2019 2nd rounder. That leaves Buffalo with picks #2, #55, #65, #121, #166 and #187. That's enough to add a WR, RB, LB, C/OG and OT. Sure, it won't fill every need they have, but they have a chance to cover the big holes. Most bad teams won't be able to cover every hole via the draft anyway. Getting a franchise QB is key to a team's success though.

(04-12-2018, 09:44 AM)Markulous Wrote: Doesn't really affect us, but interesting nonetheless.  I think it's a huge mistake.  Darnold or Rosen should be their pick, but Browns gonna Brown.

https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status...5414591488

I'm not buying it. I still believe Darnold goes #1. If Allen is the pick though, the Giants won't trade pick #2 and they will select Darnold. The only way they move out of #2 is if the Browns take Darnold.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-12-2018, 11:50 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 11:47 AM)Achilles Wrote: I think the rumor of the bills moving up pretty much cements Allen going #1. Bills are thrilled that darnold lands in their laps and Giants happy waiting to get Chubb later on.

Am I missing something?

If the Giants trade back with the Bills, I see no way Chubb makes it to 12, unless you are talking about the RB from Georgia.

No you're right. I confused Buffalo with Denver in the draft order.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(04-12-2018, 11:47 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 11:42 AM)JackCity Wrote: I'd put my money on Darnold going to them. Think the Allen stuff is just noise to amp up the QB market even more.

I think the rumor of the bills moving up pretty much cements Allen going #1. Bills are thrilled that darnold lands in their laps and Giants happy waiting to get Chubb later on.

(04-12-2018, 11:42 AM)JackCity Wrote: I'd put my money on Darnold going to them. Think the Allen stuff is just noise to amp up the QB market even more.

I think the pats are doing that with leaking info about their interest in Jackson, but I think the Josh Allen #1 overall has legs.

I don't think the bills moving up would cement Allen going #1 at all. Why do you think that? 

Bills favourite QBs seem to be Rosen+Mayfield.
Darnolds been a lock to the browns for several weeks, I don't think that's changed. Hard to tell this time of your though.

(04-12-2018, 11:54 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 11:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Makes sense. Rudolph is probably one of six QB's in this class that should end up going during the opening night of the draft. It's a QB needy off-season. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see ANY QB's fall to us at 29th overall at this point. We would have to move up to get one of the top six. With New England now interested in him and back in the first round they could be drumming up offers or genuinely interested in him as a successor to Brady. Either scenario makes a lot of sense.

My feeling is that they're inflating the value of some of these fringe QBs, so that the talented players at the other positions are pushed down to the range where the pats, and us as well would be picking...

That's what I am hoping for. I am fine with a QB. But I would rather see the first two rounds spent on beefing up the offensive line some more or adding another linebacker.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

So, you're suggesting the Browns are hoping a team would want to trade for their #1 overall?

Otherwise, there's no benefit to them "faking" interest in a QB.

Since they have their choice of all the QBs, "faking" interest in Allen to "amp up the QB market" would be absolutely meaningless.  A waste of time and energy with absolutely nothing to gain from it.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(04-12-2018, 12:52 PM)pirkster Wrote:

So, you're suggesting the Browns are hoping a team would want to trade for their #1 overall?

Otherwise, there's no benefit to them "faking" interest in a QB.

Since they have their choice of all the QBs, "faking" interest in Allen to "amp up the QB market" would be absolutely meaningless.  A waste of time and energy with absolutely nothing to gain from it.

No. I'm suggesting that teams looking to trade back would intentionally amp up the QB market to gain greater profit when/if they do move back. The browns will stay at #1 and take their QB.

Basically the less certain teams are about how the QB landscape looks, the more teams will panic about getting "their" guy. Happens all the time.

I'm still not following the logic of the Browns bringing in Allen as a way to "amp up" the market.

Vegas shows Allen making a serious move towards favorite as #1 overall. This from betonline.ag:

Josh Allen +125
Sam Darnold -175
Josh Rosen +800
Saquon Barkley +600

Barkley has dropped from early favorite to #3. Allen is closing the gap as we get closer to the draft.

If the Browns are relatively happy with any of the top QBs it's possible they still want to trade out of #1 and still get their QB with #4.

They could also select Barkley at #1 if they can't trade out, and still get their QB with #4. So, let's not assume their interest in Allen isn't real. There's nothing that would benefit the Browns otherwise. Realistically, the Browns have no interest in affecting the rest of the QB market if they control their own destiny on which one they're going to take. If anything, they'd be doing the opposite (cooling the QB market) so that they could defer their QB pick to 4 and still get their pick of who they feel are the best candidates.

I still think they're all going too high at the top, but then that's what the position commands.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2018, 01:48 PM by JackCity.)

(04-12-2018, 01:30 PM)pirkster Wrote: I'm still not following the logic of the Browns bringing in Allen as a way to "amp up" the market.

Vegas shows Allen making a serious move towards favorite as #1 overall.  This from betonline.ag:

Josh Allen +125
Sam Darnold -175
Josh Rosen +800
Saquon Barkley +600

Barkley has dropped from early favorite to #3.  Allen is closing the gap as we get closer to the draft.

If the Browns are relatively happy with any of the top QBs it's possible they still want to trade out of #1 and still get their QB with #4.

They could also select Barkley at #1 if they can't trade out, and still get their QB with #4.  So, let's not assume their interest in Allen isn't real.  There's nothing that would benefit the Browns otherwise.  Realistically, the Browns have no interest in affecting the rest of the QB market if they control their own destiny on which one they're going to take.  If anything, they'd be doing the opposite (cooling the QB market) so that they could defer their QB pick to 4 and still get their pick of who they feel are the best candidates.

I still think they're all going too high at the top, but then that's what the position commands.

You are basing it on the browns being the ones "leaking" the news. That's likely not the case.

The giants for example have a lot to gain from teams thinking Allen is going #1. Everybody looking to move back benefits from QB uncertainty, even if only a bit. It's part and parcel of the games they play every year.

Barkley has been out of the #1 spot for a good while now. It's been Darnold for ages, I don't buy the sudden surge of Josh Allen #1 being spread through the media.

(04-12-2018, 01:43 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 01:30 PM)pirkster Wrote: I'm still not following the logic of the Browns bringing in Allen as a way to "amp up" the market.

Vegas shows Allen making a serious move towards favorite as #1 overall.  This from betonline.ag:

Josh Allen +125
Sam Darnold -175
Josh Rosen +800
Saquon Barkley +600

Barkley has dropped from early favorite to #3.  Allen is closing the gap as we get closer to the draft.

They could also select Barkley at #1 if they can't trade out, and still get their QB with #4.  So, let's not assume their interest in Allen isn't real.  There's nothing that would benefit the Browns otherwise.  Realistically, the Browns have no interest in affecting the rest of the QB market if they control their own destiny on which one they're going to take.  If anything, they'd be doing the opposite (cooling the QB market) so that they could defer their QB pick to 4 and still get their pick of who they feel are the best candidates.

You are basing it on the browns being the ones "leaking" the news. That's likely not the case.

The giants for example have a lot to gain from teams thinking Allen is going #1. Everybody looking to move back benefits from QB uncertainty, even if only a bit. It's part and parcel of the games they play every year.

Barkley has been out of the #1 spot for a good while now. It's been Darnold for ages, I don't buy the sudden surge of Josh Allen #1 being spread through the media.

If Vegas has it moving towards Allen, it's not the "media."

I'm basing this off the Browns having Allen in for a visit today.  I assumed you did, too, but maybe you weren't aware.  I would think any speculation today would be based on what they expect to come from today's visit.

Realistically, it's only the Browns who have the power to affect the "hype" of Allen by making folks believe they're going to take him.

It seems like you don't believe there's true interest in Allen at the top of the draft simply because you disagree with that sentiment.

Planet Theory is very real.  If there are guys with rare traits (guys who possess traits that few people on the planet have,) they're going to rise to the top for better or worse.  Similar skepticism was made with Mario Williams and more recently Jadaveon Clowney.  Those ignoring Planet Theory were cheerleading for Bush and Clowney's injuries caused a lot of folks to try to talk themselves out of that until just prior to the draft.  I remember seeing a mock having Bortles going first to the Texans.  Even last year some were uncertain whether the Browns would take Garrett or Trubisky.  In the end, the more rare specimen won out.

Allen's rare traits are solidifying where he's likely to be drafted - earlier than some folks expect him to be.  This happens every year.  The overhyped guys "fall" (Bridgewater, etc.) and the more rare specimens "rise."  When in reality, the GMs aren't the ones changing their minds - they rated these guys more highly/lowly than the fans and pundits all along, it's just as we get closer to the draft the "media" is getting a better feel for the pulse of what's actually going on.  If you look at mocks in past years, they get better and better as they get closer to draft because they're working with better information.

Ditto betting lines and events.

(04-12-2018, 02:34 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 01:43 PM)JackCity Wrote: You are basing it on the browns being the ones "leaking" the news. That's likely not the case.

If Vegas has it moving towards Allen, it's not the "media."

I'm basing this off the Browns having Allen in for a visit today.  I assumed you did, too, but maybe you weren't aware.  I would think any speculation today would be based on what they expect to come from today's visit.

Realistically, it's only the Browns who have the power to affect the "hype" of Allen by making folks believe they're going to take him.

It seems like you don't believe there's true interest in Allen at the top of the draft simply because you disagree with that sentiment.

Planet Theory is very real.  If there are guys with rare traits (guys who possess traits that few people on the planet have,) they're going to rise to the top for better or worse.  Similar skepticism was made with Mario Williams and more recently Jadaveon Clowney.  Those ignoring Planet Theory were cheerleading for Bush and Clowney's injuries caused a lot of folks to try to talk themselves out of that until just prior to the draft.  I remember seeing a mock having Bortles going first to the Texans.  Even last year some were uncertain whether the Browns would take Garrett or Trubisky.  In the end, the more rare specimen won out.

Allen's rare traits are solidifying where he's likely to be drafted - earlier than some folks expect him to be.  This happens every year.  The overhyped guys "fall" (Bridgewater, etc.) and the more rare specimens "rise."  When in reality, the GMs aren't the ones changing their minds - they rated these guys more highly/lowly than the fans and pundits all along, it's just as we get closer to the draft the "media" is getting a better feel for the pulse of what's actually going on.  If you look at mocks in past years, they get better and better as they get closer to draft because they're working with better information.

Josh Allen was always expected to visit with the Browns. That isn't new info. The Josh Allen #1 noise started out of the blue several days from several big media names at the same time. 

No you have that incorrect. I do believe there is interest in Josh Allen. Just not enough that they would seriously consider taking him #1. Darnold is a lock for that in my eyes.

And yes Allen is favourite in Vegas at the moment .Darnold had been close to a lock for the last few weeks. I'd like to see how that lines moves over the next 2 weeks, particularly in conjuncture with the media noise.

You can have your fantasy. Don't be surprised if it bursts on draft day.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2018, 03:18 PM by JackCity.)

(04-12-2018, 03:14 PM)pirkster Wrote: You can have your fantasy.  Don't be surprised if it bursts on draft day.

As mentioned above they could very easily have a ton of interest in Allen and take him #1.  

No skin off my nose if it happens, I'm just highly skeptical for now.

(04-12-2018, 02:56 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 02:34 PM)pirkster Wrote: If Vegas has it moving towards Allen, it's not the "media."

Josh Allen was always expected to visit with the Browns. That isn't new info. The Josh Allen #1 noise started out of the blue several days from several big media names at the same time. 

No you have that incorrect. I do believe there is interest in Josh Allen. Just not enough that they would seriously consider taking him #1. Darnold is a lock for that in my eyes.

And yes Allen is favourite in Vegas at the moment .Darnold had been close to a lock for the last few weeks. I'd like to see how that lines moves over the next 2 weeks, particularly in conjuncture with the media noise.

I mean when you use the words lock in terms of darnold, but then say it could happen, it's hard to figure out where your opinion really stands.

I'm pretty confident Josh Allen is going #1 overall.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

There is a picture tmz has floating around of saquon waiting to get his haircut and he's wearing a Giants hoodie. Supposedly taken by some guy at the barbershop in Pennsylvania

(04-12-2018, 08:38 PM)Achilles Wrote: There is a picture tmz has floating around of saquon waiting to get his haircut and he's wearing a Giants hoodie. Supposedly taken by some guy at the barbershop in Pennsylvania

Wouldn't shock me if they took him. 

Let's not forget the Giants already have Eli's heir-apparent in my favorite mid-round sleeper QB from last year, Davis Webb! 
Big Grin

(04-12-2018, 08:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 08:38 PM)Achilles Wrote: There is a picture tmz has floating around of saquon waiting to get his haircut and he's wearing a Giants hoodie. Supposedly taken by some guy at the barbershop in Pennsylvania

Let's not forget the Giants already have Eli's heir-apparent in my favorite mid-round sleeper QB from last year, Davis Webb! 
Big Grin

Wouldnt surprise me at all either. Not that he's leaps and bounds better than fournette or Zeke as prospects, but he is better, which makes him the best rb prospect in the last decade.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2018, 09:02 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-12-2018, 08:50 PM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 08:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Wouldn't shock me if they took him. 

Big Grin

Wouldnt surprise me at all either. Not that he's leaps and bounds better than fournette or Zeke as prospects, but he is better, which makes him the best rb prospect in the last decade.

I just don't get the hype. I'd much rather have Rashaad Penny or even Sony Michel.

(04-12-2018, 08:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Big Grin

Their O-Line sucked last year and the only upgrade they made this year was at LT. I just don't see Barkley succeeding behind their current O-Line.

(04-12-2018, 09:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 08:50 PM)Achilles Wrote: Wouldnt surprise me at all either. Not that he's leaps and bounds better than fournette or Zeke as prospects, but he is better, which makes him the best rb prospect in the last decade.

I just don't get the hype. I'd much rather have Rashaad Penny or even Sony Michel.

(04-12-2018, 08:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Wouldn't shock me if they took him. 

Big Grin

Their O-Line sucked last year and the only upgrade they made this year was at LT. I just don't see Barkley succeeding behind their current O-Line.

You have a weird way of evaluating prospects. Anybody that has seen saquon play will tell you he's a special player. Penny and Sony couldn't even hold his jockstrap.

(04-12-2018, 12:54 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/984466625729646594

Prisco absolutely loves Allen and I don't get it.