Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Select Taven Bryant

(04-27-2018, 04:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 04:07 PM)Upper Wrote: The biggest overreactions I see are the guys screaming BAP now. If everyone made a list of their top half dozen guys they wanted when we went on the clock zero of them would have included Bryan. No one would have had him over Hernandez, Goedert, Daniels, etc. You don't have to kowtow. It was a fine pick. It wasn't great, and it wasn't terrible.

Also, please stop comparing him to JJ Watt. Watt is an absurd 6 standard deviations above the normal NFL dlineman athletically. The next Watt statistically won't appear for 300 years. Not to mention his unmatched work ethic and motor. He was going to be the best defensive lineman of all time before the injuries. Don't be unfair to Bryan like that.

It's because oline and TE has been our biggest need all season so those are the guys we have been looking at and wanting.  If DT was our biggest need and we were watching the DTs all season the way we were oline and TE he would of been much higher on people's list

Not just that G and TE were our biggest needs, but that there were also prospects equivalent to Bryan at those positions available. As I've said all along, if Bryan (or anyone else) was all alone in his tier grade then sure you hold your nose and make the pick. But I don't believe, nor would anyone else before the pick was in, that he was head and shoulders BAP.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-27-2018, 04:28 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 04:25 PM)Kcirred Wrote: I don’t see why people still expect a Guard or a TE in the first two rounds with Caldwell anyway.  Fans have been calling for Caldwell to draft these positions in the first two rounds pretty much since the day he got here and he has yet to do it.  He clearly doesn’t value those positions highly in the draft.  If he can pass on Forest Lamp in the 2nd he’s defintely passing on Hernandez in the first.

Caldwell passed on lamp for a LT. An LT he believed to be upper tier. Slightly different.

True, still don’t think he would’ve picked Lamp tho.  Passed on that Indiana guard in the third for Smoot as well.

Walter Football approves which is rare for a Jag hater

image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/j...b_logo.gif
Jacksonville Jaguars: Taven Bryan, DT, Florida A- Grade
Taven Bryan doesn't exactly fill a need, but the first round is not necessarily a time for needs. Selecting the best player available who makes sense is usually a winning strategy, and the Jaguars appear to have made a very strong move.

Bryan was being discussed as a possible top-20 prospect. Getting him at No. 30 is great value, and it doesn't hurt to have another interior pass-rusher to rattle Deshaun Watson.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades...YobRfBL.99

As I knew nothing about Bryant, I was memorized on the selection. I viewed his highlights and was somewhat disappointed to say the least. He's on the ground too much. Of the five highlights that I viewed, only one stood out as per my opinion. As I look at the long term picture I understand exactly why he was selected other than BAP. "Future Salary Cap". If he performs as Management expects, his selection will be warranted.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(04-27-2018, 05:12 PM)NH3 Wrote: As I knew nothing about Bryant, I was memorized on the selection. I viewed his highlights and was somewhat disappointed to say the least. He's on the ground too much. Of the five highlights that I viewed, only one stood out as per my opinion. As I look at the long term picture I understand exactly why he was selected other than BAP. "Future Salary Cap". If he performs as Management expects, his selection will be warranted.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Wow, five whole highlights? You must have a full and complete understanding of him as a player after that

(04-27-2018, 03:59 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 02:11 PM)atburg Wrote: La. Times had him at 22 6 weeks ago, anything else?

(04-27-2018, 03:43 PM)pirkster Wrote: Mayock 26.

Truth is, most had him off the board before our pick at 29.

I know this doesn't fit some folks' narrative, but facts don't care about your feelings.

LA times was 3.5 weeks ago and Mayock was the day before yesterday.  Both are well after the NFL Combine.  

Casserly was legit, but the point still remains that he wasn't generally considered a top prospect until after the Combine.  How many mocks did you have to sift through before finding one?  I found plenty that didn't have him in the top three rounds.
Here is another pre combine mock by SI that has him going at 26. https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/21/mock-d...len-giants

People have shown evidence that he was considered a top prospect in pre combine mocks that you are either choosing to down play or ignore. What hasn't been shown is any evidence that he was considered a late round prospect as you have contended.

If you want to make a valid argument, you need to show something that backs up your contention.

(04-27-2018, 04:29 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 04:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It's because oline and TE has been our biggest need all season so those are the guys we have been looking at and wanting.  If DT was our biggest need and we were watching the DTs all season the way we were oline and TE he would of been much higher on people's list

Not just that G and TE were our biggest needs, but that there were also prospects equivalent to Bryan at those positions available. As I've said all along, if Bryan (or anyone else) was all alone in his tier grade then sure you hold your nose and make the pick. But I don't believe, nor would anyone else before the pick was in, that he was head and shoulders BAP.

You’re privy to the Jags draft board?
Huh

[Image: IMG_6244_zpsq2at0aav.jpg]

Taven was the #1 DT in the Draft magazine I bought

(04-27-2018, 05:12 PM)NH3 Wrote: As I knew nothing about Bryant, I was memorized on the selection. I viewed his highlights and was somewhat disappointed to say the least. He's on the ground too much. Of the five highlights that I viewed, only one stood out as per my opinion. As I look at the long term picture I understand exactly why he was selected other than BAP. "Future Salary Cap". If he performs as Management expects, his selection will be warranted.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
Well you still don’t know how to spell his last name....

(04-27-2018, 04:29 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 04:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It's because oline and TE has been our biggest need all season so those are the guys we have been looking at and wanting.  If DT was our biggest need and we were watching the DTs all season the way we were oline and TE he would of been much higher on people's list

So did they draft need instead of BAP?

(04-27-2018, 04:07 PM)Upper Wrote: The biggest overreactions I see are the guys screaming BAP now. If everyone made a list of their top half dozen guys they wanted when we went on the clock zero of them would have included Bryan. No one would have ...

LOLWUT?

Ummm, it was Coughlin and Caldwell that stated he was the highest rated player on their board. 
What the hell are you talking about?
No one is “screaming BAP” whatever that means, they are simply citing the front office statement on why he was chosen. 
Are you claiming that Coughlin is just lying to us about why they selected Bryan?

BTW - a list of who fans wanted has nothing to do with BAP.

(04-27-2018, 06:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 04:29 PM)Upper Wrote: Not just that G and TE were our biggest needs, but that there were also prospects equivalent to Bryan at those positions available. As I've said all along, if Bryan (or anyone else) was all alone in his tier grade then sure you hold your nose and make the pick. But I don't believe, nor would anyone else before the pick was in, that he was head and shoulders BAP.

So did they draft need instead of BAP?

They could have drafted a player that fit both, and they drafted a player that fit one.

Got the answer guys and gals.

They drafted the player they liked the most.

(04-27-2018, 06:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 04:07 PM)Upper Wrote: The biggest overreactions I see are the guys screaming BAP now. If everyone made a list of their top half dozen guys they wanted when we went on the clock zero of them would have included Bryan. No one would have ...

LOLWUT?

Ummm, it was Coughlin and Caldwell that stated he was the highest rated player on their board. 
What the hell are you talking about?
No one is “screaming BAP” whatever that means, they are simply citing the front office statement on why he was chosen. 
Are you claiming that Coughlin is just lying to us about why they selected Bryan?

BTW - a list of who fans wanted has nothing to do with BAP.

Don't you know the goal of every FO is to evaluate the players and then to make sure they don't pick the players that evaluated well?

Come on. Get with the times.

I read a story on jags website. He can play any postion on defense. Think about this now he is the postion replacement for poz. Notice i said postion meaning that spot not replaceing the player. you can't replace a player like poz.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(04-27-2018, 06:25 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 06:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: So did they draft need instead of BAP?

They could have drafted a player that fit both, and they drafted a player that fit one.

How do you know what their board looked like lol? Im thinking they drafted the player at the top of their board

(04-27-2018, 06:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 06:25 PM)Upper Wrote: They could have drafted a player that fit both, and they drafted a player that fit one.

How do you know what their board looked like lol? Im thinking they drafted the player at the top of their board

Of course they did. We are giving our opinions on what they did. I think they didn't get it wrong, but also didn't get it right. There was a tier of guys rated highly left, and the Jags took one of them so that's good...but they didn't take one that was a need, and there were several guys available that fit both.

(04-27-2018, 02:12 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 01:52 PM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: We had some trouble stopping the run last year.  I anticipate Campbell- Jones- Dareus- Bryan on some obvious run situations.  And that line up can still disrupt the pass.

Bryan needs to get a lot better reading blocks and adjusting before you can trust him like that imo. 

I'd rather play Fowler.

Ain't nobody gonna wanna play in Gator infested waters
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

(04-27-2018, 02:10 PM)buffbenj Wrote: Uhhh, y'all need to re-view the UGA-UF 2017 game. Taven got dominated. He was a non-factor, blocked mostly by RFr RG Ben Cleveland & /or True Fr RT Andrew Thomas.
I don't wanna hear how the gators gave up, nor how mcelwain had freakin death threats as excuses. Great players, esp 1st rounders, Show up every game, & make an impact regardless of the scoreboard. There were many better pix available at 29

Take any elite draft pick in the last 10 years including our own Jalen Ramsey, and they all had a bad game from time to time.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018, 07:05 PM by atburg.)

(04-27-2018, 03:59 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 02:11 PM)atburg Wrote: La. Times had him at 22 6 weeks ago, anything else?

(04-27-2018, 03:43 PM)pirkster Wrote: Mayock 26.

Truth is, most had him off the board before our pick at 29.

I know this doesn't fit some folks' narrative, but facts don't care about your feelings.

LA times was 3.5 weeks ago and Mayock was the day before yesterday.  Both are well after the NFL Combine.  

Casserly was legit, but the point still remains that he wasn't generally considered a top prospect until after the Combine.  How many mocks did you have to sift through before finding one?  I found plenty that didn't have him in the top three rounds.

10 weeks and 3 days ago, the first February mock that pops up!! 31 to New England

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news...osh-rosen/

Judging by the amount of first round grade he has over the past couple months, you are the one cherry picking through mock drafts to fit your narrative.