Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dante Fowler's Future

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018, 08:36 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

If Fowler balls out all year I think it's a high possibility we cut Calais and resign Fowler. Bryan will take Calais spot, which is why we drafted him. We can worry about resigning Yannick next year

Just have to let the season play out and see what happens on the field.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I am not cutting Calais, and I'm finding a way to keep Fowler, idc what needs to be done but this defense needs to be left in tack, at the expense of the offensive side of the ball

(09-19-2018, 08:33 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If Fowler balls out all year I think it's a high possibility we cut Calais and resign Fowler.  Bryan will take Calais spot, which is why we drafted him.  We can worry about resigning Yannick next year

I think it's been pointed out by someone that cutting Calais this offseason won't actually save us much money at all. I mean, it would save salary, but cap hit would still be there or something.
I think it'd be possible though, to use the tag this year, keep everyone (mostly) and then make hard decisions next season at the last minute.

That all being said... I think Campbell would rework his deal to stick around a really good defense with SB aspirations.
But in theory we don't have to do deals on Yan and Jack until next year, and Ramsey we could push off too with his option and what not.
But then there are ways of doing deals so that they move money all around and DC and Idzik have shown to be pretty contract savvy

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018, 11:46 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(09-19-2018, 11:38 AM)Kane Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 08:33 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If Fowler balls out all year I think it's a high possibility we cut Calais and resign Fowler.  Bryan will take Calais spot, which is why we drafted him.  We can worry about resigning Yannick next year

I think it's been pointed out by someone that cutting Calais this offseason won't actually save us much money at all. I mean, it would save salary, but cap hit would still be there or something.
I think it'd be possible though, to use the tag this year, keep everyone (mostly) and then make hard decisions next season at the last minute.

That all being said... I think Campbell would rework his deal to stick around a really good defense with SB aspirations.
But in theory we don't have to do deals on Yan and Jack until next year, and Ramsey we could push off too with his option and what not.
But then there are ways of doing deals so that they move money all around and DC and Idzik have shown to be pretty contract savvy
Would save 11.5 mil. on cap hit If he got cut season end.  It's a possibility but way to early to tell really.  Gonna let the season play out.  Of course if he is still a beast all year we will keep him

(09-19-2018, 11:38 AM)Kane Wrote:

Actually the person who pointed that out was incorrect. Campbell's contract was designed to allow us to part ways after this season. All but 3 mil of his guaranteed money will have been paid by the end of this season. We could save between 11.5 mil and 13 mil depending on the timing of the release next offseason.

I'm not advocating we cut him. Just pointing out that we have that option open to us.

(09-19-2018, 02:16 PM)Predator Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 11:38 AM)Kane Wrote: I think it's been pointed out by someone that cutting Calais this offseason won't actually save us much money at all. I mean, it would save salary, but cap hit would still be there or something.

Actually the person who pointed that out was incorrect. Campbell's contract was designed to allow us to part ways after this season. All but 3 mil of his guaranteed money will have been paid by the end of this season. We could save between 11.5 mil and 13 mil depending on the timing of the release next offseason.

I'm not advocating we cut him. Just pointing out that we have that option open to us.

Oh nice

(09-19-2018, 02:49 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 02:16 PM)Predator Wrote: Actually the person who pointed that out was incorrect. Campbell's contract was designed to allow us to part ways after this season. All but 3 mil of his guaranteed money will have been paid by the end of this season. We could save between 11.5 mil and 13 mil depending on the timing of the release next offseason.

Oh nice

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville...bell-3941/

(09-19-2018, 03:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 02:49 PM)Kane Wrote: Oh nice

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville...bell-3941/

Decent...
I mean if we're being honest with ourselves... How hurt is the then 33 year old Calais going to be all the time. How much of his step and moves will he have lost.
People lose their minds over the thought of cutting a premier pass rusher... but by next season will he even be what he was last year and this year? Likely not.
Perhaps keeping Fowler on the tag cutting Campbell and waiting to do Yan's deal is what is in the cards.

Can't say it sounds that terrible... IF Fowler continues to play well.

(09-19-2018, 03:24 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 03:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville...bell-3941/

Decent...
I mean if we're being honest with ourselves... How hurt is the then 33 year old Calais going to be all the time. How much of his step and moves will he have lost.
People lose their minds over the thought of cutting a premier pass rusher... but by next season will he even be what he was last year and this year? Likely not.
Perhaps keeping Fowler on the tag cutting Campbell and waiting to do Yan's deal is what is in the cards.

Can't say it sounds that terrible... IF Fowler continues to play well.

If Campbell is still playing at a high level at the end of this season, the team could also do a "simple restructure" contract where his 2019 salary is converted to signing bonus and spread over the remaining years. That might make sense if either:

1) The Jags want to make one more run with the team intact, even at the risk of future cap pain, or
2) The 2020 cap projection would make it no big deal.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I’m always a little weary of guys who “ball out” in a contract year.

(09-19-2018, 05:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I’m always a little weary of guys who “ball out” in a contract year.

I'm suspect of guys with attitude issues who can't seem to get along with teammates.

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018, 08:53 PM by Predator.)

(09-19-2018, 05:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 05:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I’m always a little weary of guys who “ball out” in a contract year.

I'm suspect of guys with attitude issues who can't seem to get along with teammates.
Then you really should be suspect of O'Shaughnessy who got into two fights that practice. Maybe he was the real instigator in all of this.

John Henderson got into a fight with someone just about every training camp.

Fights happen in camp. You shouldn't read too much into them. What ticked off Ramsey was that people were making it out to be more than it was.

(09-19-2018, 05:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

And sometimes one plus one does equal two.
Signature goes here.

(09-19-2018, 08:51 PM)Predator Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 05:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm suspect of guys with attitude issues who can't seem to get along with teammates.
Then you really should be suspect of O'Shaughnessy who got into two fights that practice. Maybe he was the real instigator in all of this.

John Henderson got into a fight with someone just about every training camp.

Fights happen in camp. You shouldn't read too much into them. What ticked off Ramsey was that people were making it out to be more than it was.

I can handle fights between teammates as long as they don't spill out of the building and make the national news and as long as one of the participants doesn't have a history of bad behavior on and off the field. That's when I get worried.

100% agree. Campbell can’t play forever but Fowler gives you another 8 years. Campbell maybe 2 or 3.

I know Fowler has had issues that have prevented him from realizing his full potential, but I think he may be the most talented edge rusher in the league.

He may not have mastered the full repertoire of moves, but he is definitely one of the most explosive guys off the line. He also impresses me with his motor seeing him run down passing plays 20 yards down field.

The guy is a phenomenal talent. Can he keep his head on straight is the biggest question.

If he can, you have to do anything in your power to keep him. He has a decade of prime age in front of him.

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2018, 05:22 AM by Predator.)

I don't think there is a player in the league with a reason to be more motivated to prove people wrong than him.

I also don't believe there is a player in the league that has his level of talent that can prove that.

A mature Fowler is a force to reckon with.

Whew, that escalated quickly.

(09-20-2018, 05:48 AM)Upper Wrote: Whew, that escalated quickly.

Clearly someone was at the bar late tonight.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-20-2018, 05:48 AM)Upper Wrote: Whew, that escalated quickly.

Just stating the truth.