Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell has to be done right?

(10-23-2018, 02:56 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(10-21-2018, 04:44 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I'm curious why you think that?

The last person I want picking Bortles replacement is the guy who picked Bortles.

When Bortles was selected, everyone knew they were drafting a QB over the next 2 years. Based on the team philosphy, they were never going to sign a big name because of the cap hit of trying to maintain a defense with the high-priced QB.

Of the QB's drafted in 2014 and 2015, how many have actually been  better than Blake. Not "could be", not "should be". Have been?

Garoppolo possibly, but he still has limited game snaps, and but does he become the player he is now with Gus and Slick hair mentoring him? Without Brady and Belicheck?

Winston is promising, but he makes as many mistakes as Bortles plus his checkered issues make me not want to root for him.

No one else has panned out. Here are the others? Who would you have drafted?

Blake Bortles  Johnny Manziel  Teddy Bridgewater  Derek Carr Jimmy Garoppolo  Logan Thomas  Tom Savage Aaron Murray AJ McCarron Zach Mettenberger David Fales Keith Wenning  Tajh Boyd Garrett Gilbert Jameis Winston Marcus Mariota Garrett Grayson Sean Mannion Bryce Petty Brett Hundley Trevor Siemian

Could of moved up and grab DKnee Watson. Carr is mediocre and is a huge upgrade over Bottles.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-27-2018, 11:43 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 11:07 PM)EricC85 Wrote: You can't use the time of possession argument the chiefs didn't punt until the second half! The cowboys moved the ball at will the entire first half. The Texans had a league worse offensive line and they shoved the ball down our throats from the first snap. The defense is not elite and borderline average this season.
You obviously read the only part you thought you could refute. ToP. Which I ONLY mentioned for the Dallas game. So that only applied to the Dallas game. I made other cases for the other two games and you ignored the facts from those as well. I never said they were elite either. Where are you getting your reading comprehension from? I'll try one more time to again use facts and see if you can refute that.

- The Chiefs are one of the Top 5 offenses in the league. And their defense at the time of our game was at the Bottom 5. 

- When you are getting 1-2 minutes to rest at a time you can't pin your ears back rushing the passer because your DBs are already tired. Of course Dallas moved the ball. 

- Apparently you can't read. The defense held the Texans to 13 points going into the 2nd half. Idk about you but not being able to get any points in the first half is indefensible for any team in the league.

So was the defense just to exhausted today to prevent a 95 yard drive to seal the game?

It's simple, they just ain't that good.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2018, 08:22 PM by Bullseye.)

(10-28-2018, 08:14 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 11:43 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: You obviously read the only part you thought you could refute. ToP. Which I ONLY mentioned for the Dallas game. So that only applied to the Dallas game. I made other cases for the other two games and you ignored the facts from those as well. I never said they were elite either. Where are you getting your reading comprehension from? I'll try one more time to again use facts and see if you can refute that.

- The Chiefs are one of the Top 5 offenses in the league. And their defense at the time of our game was at the Bottom 5. 

- When you are getting 1-2 minutes to rest at a time you can't pin your ears back rushing the passer because your DBs are already tired. Of course Dallas moved the ball. 

- Apparently you can't read. The defense held the Texans to 13 points going into the 2nd half. Idk about you but not being able to get any points in the first half is indefensible for any team in the league.

So was the defense just to exhausted today to prevent a 95 yard drive to seal the game?

It's simple, they just ain't that good.

If you get the chance, you should see Myles Jack's post game comments.

It's entirely possible the team was simply out-coached.  The admiration he seemed to show for the Eagles' scheme was considerable.

https://www.jaguars.com/video/jack-you-s...ight-in-us

Oh yeah...that is the World Champion Eagles, with some pretty good offensive personnel.

It's entirely possible all three things are true.

Maybe the Jaguars' defense isn't as good as it was last year.

Maybe the Eagles' offense is a talented group.

Maybe the Eagles are a well coached offense.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Coughlin needs to haul [BLEEP]. He does nothing worth nothing and is just a feel good story. His role in this operation isn’t needed. This team has been on a decline ever since 55 seconds was left in the half of that game though. It was just a slow death.

(10-28-2018, 09:45 PM)P. Haze Wrote: Coughlin needs to haul [BLEEP]. He does nothing worth nothing and is just a feel good story. His role in this operation isn’t needed. This team has been on a decline ever since 55 seconds was left in the half of that game though. It was just a slow death.

Yeah he should,  or maybe he can get out there and pass block or catch passes on offense and be a run stuffer on defense.....
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(10-28-2018, 02:46 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-28-2018, 01:00 PM)ColoJag Wrote: Guys I would cut
Bortles saves 15 Mil

You probably need to go look at those players' contracts and re-work your numbers based on actual dead cap figures.

That's my bad on Bortles, looked at his 2020 dead cap and Calais would save us 12

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2018, 07:33 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-28-2018, 01:00 PM)ColoJag Wrote: Guys I would cut
Bortles saves 15 Mil
Calais 15 Mil
Church 7 mil
Parnell 6 mil
This would put us at 30 mil in cap space + league wide salary cap going up
Potential cuts that I would hate
Dareus 14 Mil
Jackson 11 mil
This puts us at 55 + league wide salary cap going up

Maybe sign a QB(Taylor/Teddy) in FA for 20 mil, draft a LT in the first and move Cam to RT, draft a pass rusher in the 2nd,and draft a RG in the third

I believe the most likely candidates to be cut are Dareus, Church and Parnell. 

We could save $10.5 million by cutting Dareus and this is a fantastic year to draft a NT. He could be replaced by a much younger, cheaper player via the draft. There should be really good options available all the way into the 3rd or even 4th rounds. It's very deep at the DT spot. We could save $6.25 million by cutting Church. We basically drafted his replacement in Ronnie Harrison and his play has gone downhill. I would think he is all but gone. We could save an additional $6 million by cutting Parnell. He has looked bad this season and it makes sense to let him go. Hopefully, Will Richardson will be ready to take over at RT by next season. Cutting these 3 players would save us $22.75 million.

As for signing a QB, I still want to draft one, whether that be in the next draft or 2020, as long as we get a good one. If we sign a short term replacement to make us at least competitive, I want to get Fitzpatrick on a 1 or 2 year deal and let Bortles ride the bench until we can cut him.

Hackett needs to go immediately. His offensive playcalling is predictable and useless. I'd like to make a run at a young, offensive minded coordinator. Mike Kafka, the Chiefs QB coach would be an interesting hire. He's done wonders with Mahomes.

Okay, so you want to get rid of Caldwell. Here are the problems with the situation:

No, new GM is going to be okay with Marrone staying as the coach, Hackett as OC, and Bortles as QB. I mean no coach 2 years ago wanted to take the job if it meant keeping Bortles. So you have to find a GM, and a HC, that is willing to deal with TC being big brother and take on Bortles as QB.

Why can't we just cut Bortles? He costs the Jags $16.5 million in cap next year no matter what. Cutting him only saves the the team $4.5 million. Possibly that could be make or break, but I doubt it. Maybe the Jags can go to him to restructure that contract, but would he really do that?

Why would TC still be here, because I don't think Khan wants to be the person to cut TC. Coughlin has too much love from the general fan base, that losing him means the fan base has to trust an entirely new set of characters. I'm not sure SK is willing to test out the fan support for that especially when after TC came back, there was a single good year. trusting a new

(10-29-2018, 08:19 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Okay, so you want to get rid of Caldwell. Here are the problems with the situation:

No, new GM is going to be okay with Marrone staying as the coach, Hackett as OC, and Bortles as QB. I mean no coach 2 years ago wanted to take the job if it meant keeping Bortles. So you have to find a GM, and a HC, that is willing to deal with TC being big brother and take on Bortles as QB.

Why can't we just cut Bortles? He costs the Jags  $16.5 million in cap next year no matter what. Cutting him only saves the the team $4.5 million. Possibly that could be make or break, but I doubt it. Maybe the Jags can go to him to restructure that contract, but would he really do that?

Why would TC still be here, because I don't think Khan wants to be the person to cut TC. Coughlin has too much love from the general fan base, that losing him means the fan base has to trust an entirely new set of characters. I'm not sure SK is willing to test out the fan support for that especially when after TC came back, there was a single good year. trusting a new

What makes you think that Marrone is safe if Caldwell gets fired?

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2018, 09:51 PM by rpr52121.)

(10-29-2018, 09:32 PM)YourFather Wrote:
(10-29-2018, 08:19 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Okay, so you want to get rid of Caldwell. Here are the problems with the situation:

Why can't we just cut Bortles? He costs the Jags  $16.5 million in cap next year no matter what. Cutting him only saves the the team $4.5 million. Possibly that could be make or break, but I doubt it. Maybe the Jags can go to him to restructure that contract, but would he really do that?

What makes you think that Marrone is safe if Caldwell gets fired?

That wasn't my point. The team is so afraid of being a bad cap situation that I see no way they will cut or bench Bortles next year. And if no other coach is willing to take the team with Bortles as QB other than Marrone as was reported at the time, then what other options are there?

(10-29-2018, 08:19 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I mean no coach 2 years ago wanted to take the job if it meant keeping Bortles. 

Source?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-30-2018, 10:04 AM by Kane.)

(10-29-2018, 09:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-29-2018, 08:19 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I mean no coach 2 years ago wanted to take the job if it meant keeping Bortles. 

Source?

I'm not doing the work for the guy but I vaguely remember reports that said that much.
However, you'd probably be hard pressed to find a coach that said it publicly.

There was the "Tom Coughlin is not a fan of Bortles" report and the "Head coach must want Bortles" and then the follow up "Caldwell denys coach MUST want Bortles"

Personally I think we should probably clean house totally, if changes are made.
Tom's old football mind, gone. Doug's old football mind, gone. Caldwell's up and down GM'ing that is almost as polar as Bortles' play, gone.
Bortles, gone.
Draft young QB.
Get young HC with offensive mind... (Think McVay, Shananhan)
There are a lot of really good pieces on this team, especially on defense... it really shouldn't/wouldn't take much to get a quick turnaround.

I get a sinking feeling however... we'll see 1 sacrificial lamb from this whole season... likely a coordinator. (Not counting the possibility of moving on from QB)

We shall see.

(10-30-2018, 10:01 AM)Kane Wrote:
(10-29-2018, 09:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Source?

I'm not doing the work for the guy but I vaguely remember reports that said that much.

There was the "Tom Coughlin is not a fan of Bortles" report and the "Head coach must want Bortles" and then the follow up "Caldwell denys coach MUST want Bortles"

That stuff was all unsubstantiated rumor. 

There was no named source.  Just floated on twitter by one talking head and then beat to death by seven others based on the one tweet. 

It's certainly possible it's true, it's certainly possible it's a load of crap as well.

(10-30-2018, 10:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 10:01 AM)Kane Wrote: I'm not doing the work for the guy but I vaguely remember reports that said that much.

There was no named source.  Just floated on twitter by one talking head and then beat to death by seven others based on the one tweet. 

It's certainly possible it's true, it's certainly possible it's a load of crap as well.

Oh yeah definitely...
typical off season rumor mill junk

There's a lil truth and fluff to almost all of it.
And like I said... not too many coaches gonna come out and say "I was gonna take the job, but that Blake Bortles is a human trash can, amirite???" lulz

I know fans are gonna fan, etc., etc., but why does anyone think any changes are going to be made to front office or coaching staff after this season?

With all the patience shown by Shad Khan to Gus Bradley, and with injuries a valid reason for a poor record, why would heads roll?

Does anyone think local icon Coughlin will be fired? Isn't Marrone a Coughlin guy? Isn't Hackett a Marrone guy? And is anyone blaming the defense? Come on.

I think they draft a QB in the first round or two, hope for better luck with health, make some necessary changes due to the cap, and roll into 2019 with who the Jaguars have. I know heads will explode among the Fan Boys (which will be fun to see) but I think we'll have to wait until 2020 to see substantial changes - if 2019 is also disappointing.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 10-30-2018, 01:47 PM by Upper.)

(10-30-2018, 10:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 10:01 AM)Kane Wrote: I'm not doing the work for the guy but I vaguely remember reports that said that much.

Jeff Passan just tweeted about his podcast like a week ago (I didn't listen to it I don't have iTunes) saying Couglin wanted to move on from Bortles but he was more or less coerced into keeping him by Caldwell and Marrone. If someone wants to listen to it it might give more to the story, but his tweet definitely made it sound like Coughlin wasn't a fan.

EDIT: Hmm could have sworn it was Passan but I don't see it on his timeline...it was one of the major dudes tho...

(10-30-2018, 01:43 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 10:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: That stuff was all unsubstantiated rumor. 

Jeff Passan just tweeted about his podcast like a week ago (I didn't listen to it I don't have iTunes) saying Couglin wanted to move on from Bortles but he was more or less coerced into keeping him by Caldwell and Marrone. If someone wants to listen to it it might give more to the story, but his tweet definitely made it sound like Coughlin wasn't a fan.

EDIT: Hmm could have sworn it was Passan but I don't see it on his timeline...it was one of the major dudes tho...

This sounds like the article BCC wrote about some guy who talked to some guy and heard some rumor at Patriots joint practices

(10-30-2018, 01:43 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 10:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: That stuff was all unsubstantiated rumor. 

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2018/10...e-bortles/

Unless this team has a miraculous turnaround after the bye week, Caldwell should and will be fired after this season is over. How can they keep a guy whose track record of first round picks is so bad? The only good one was Ramsay and Stevie Wonder could have made that pick. Hiring and extending Gus Bradley (especially the latter) was even more nonsensical. His good moves such as moving up to take Jack in the 2nd and free agents Bouye and Campbell are too few and far between to make up for all his misses. Khan and Coughlin realize this team can recover next year with a good draft and less injuries so they need to move on from Caldwell.

(10-30-2018, 04:24 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Unless this team has a miraculous turnaround after the bye week, Caldwell should and will be fired after this season is over. How can they keep a guy whose track record of first round picks is so bad? The only good one was Ramsay and Stevie Wonder could have made that pick. Hiring and extending Gus Bradley (especially the latter) was even more nonsensical. His good moves such as moving up to take Jack in the 2nd and free agents Bouye and Campbell are too few and far between to make up for all his misses. Khan and Coughlin realize this team can recover next year with a good draft and less injuries so they need to move on from Caldwell.

So Coughlin gets a pass for extending Blake, drafting an oft-injured RB in the top 5 and selecting Taven Bryan and Smoot over offensive linemen?

Wondering why fans keep glossing over Coughlin like he hasn't had final say over pretty much everything in the last 2 years.