Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market Under Trump

Normally I would say a president’s and administration have an overstated effect on the market especially in the long run, but Trump and Trump administration over the last few weeks has continually spooked the market with their attempts to stabilize it. For one Trumps anti Fed Powell tweets about raises in interest rates created a perspective that a raise (which was a foregone conclusion) was the most terrible thing, so when things go as expected and even despite of a more dovish fed outlook going forward, markets take it as a bad sign even though it’s a sign of underlying strength, then the reports of possibly firing Powell come out, which didn’t help create an aura of stability. To add to the comedy of errors, Mnuchin comes out and says they are ensuring the credit markets are sound which only added to the uncertainty and doubt. It seems that a hands off approach was better suited, the heavy handed attempts to boost the market seem to have had the opposite effect. This isn’t even touching on the trade war stuff from earlier.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-24-2018, 01:26 PM)jradMITEX Wrote: Normally I would say a president’s and administration have an overstated effect on the market especially in the long run, but Trump and Trump administration over the last few weeks has continually spooked the market with their attempts to stabilize it.   For one Trumps anti Fed Powell tweets about raises in interest rates created a perspective that a raise (which was a foregone conclusion) was the most terrible thing, so when things go as expected and even despite of a more dovish fed outlook going forward, markets take it as a bad sign even though it’s a sign of underlying strength,  then the reports of possibly firing Powell come out, which didn’t help create an aura of stability.  To add to the comedy of errors, Mnuchin comes out and says they are ensuring the credit markets are sound which only added to the uncertainty and doubt.   It seems that a hands off approach was better suited, the heavy handed attempts to boost the market seem to have had the opposite effect.   This isn’t even touching on the trade war stuff from earlier.

I agree with a lot of that.  What's really funny is Mnuchin: "DON'T PANIC!!! THERE IS NOTHING TO FEAR!!! WE HAVE CALLED THE BANKS TO MAKE SURE THEY HAVE ADEQUATE LIQUIDITY!!!"  

Whaaaaat????

No one was worried before, but now, people are wondering, what the heck is going on?  

The thing about Trump firing Powell was absurd.  The President cannot fire the head of an independent agency over policy disagreements.

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2018, 03:43 PM by jj82284.)

He can fire governors of the fed, they've never considered the Fed chair. Independent is a relative term. The position requires presidential appointment.

As a matter of policy, the last hike makes little sense. Then again central banking itself is a boondoggle, but whose counting.

P.s. it's also possible few want to risk capital while Pelosi is holding the gavel.

(01-17-2018, 05:14 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Instead of creating a new thread every time the market gains another 1000 points, figure we can just track it here.

Market just eclipsed 26,000 today. The economy is absolutely booming, and they are predicting it will eclipse 27K soon.

Have we hit 27k yet stroudcrowd?

The interest rate drag is completely Trumps making he’s yelling at the top of his lungs that raising rates is terrible etc. but the Fed was already locked in, so when they raise as was totally expected, the market takes it as a bad sign (as if there was a chance they didn’t raise). Even though the fact they are raising means the economy is still robust, and the fact they changed to more dovish is completely over looked. This has got nothing to do with the house changing hands, global economic indicators out of Europe and Asia are showing slowing international growth, which is probably the biggest primary drag, then there is the trade war uncertainty, secondarily, lastly this interest rate fiasco which normally would give the market some confidence, but now is spooking investors from all sides. The administration needs to be hands off right now because every thing they are doing reeks of desperation. My heart is perfectly healthy that is why I confirmed it with 6 of the best cardiologists, doesn’t appear to be the actions of a healthy individual.

I hope you guys are doing well today.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Its funny, I was talking with my Uncle about this on monday. Main street is doing pretty good right now with low gas prices and lower taxes, only the financial market was worried. And as soon as they saw the great retail numbers, I knew it would bounce. I am sure they will find some other reason for volitity later, and I believe another recession will come (just like they always do), but at least the president isn't accelerating that slide like the previous one.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

See what happens when Donald keeps his mouth shut. It probably won't last long because eventually Donald will find out where Jared hid his phone.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Dow surges more than ONE THOUSAND points for the biggest single gain in HISTORY on the first day of trading after the markets took the biggest Christmas Eve plunge ever

Dow Jones closed up 1,086.25 points, or 4.98 per cent, on Wednesday
It is the stock index's largest single-day points gain in U.S. history
Follows biggest-ever Christmas Eve plunge for markets on Monday
White House officials tried to soothe fears over Trump's fury at Federal Reserve
Trump did not tweet on Wednesday until 25 minutes before the market closed
Oil prices notched biggest one-day gain in two years, sending energy stocks up
Despite stock market volatility, economic fundamentals including employment, wages and consumer spending numbers remain strong

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...l-facebook
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(12-26-2018, 05:05 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: See what happens when Donald keeps his mouth shut. It probably won't last long because eventually Donald will find out where Jared hid his phone.

He was too busy visiting our troops on Iraq on Christmas.

Meh.  The gains today had little-to-nothing to do with the President.  It's all about investors buying the dip.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2018, 08:25 PM by Adam2012.)

(12-26-2018, 06:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 05:05 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: See what happens when Donald keeps his mouth shut. It probably won't last long because eventually Donald will find out where Jared hid his phone.

He was too busy visiting our troops on Iraq on Christmas.

Yeah - too bad he had to be shamed into doing so. How many golf courses are there in Iraq?

(12-26-2018, 06:04 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Dow surges more than ONE THOUSAND points for the biggest single gain in HISTORY on the first day of trading after the markets took the biggest Christmas Eve plunge ever

White House officials tried to soothe fears over Trump's fury at Federal Reserve
   Despite stock market volatility, economic fundamentals including employment, wages and consumer spending numbers remain strong

Did I miss your Christmas Eve post? The one that linked that day with the Great Depression? Did it have CAPS and !!!?

I'm sure you posted something about. You know - just to be fair and balanced.

Nice !!

(12-26-2018, 08:20 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 06:46 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: He was too busy visiting our troops on Iraq on Christmas.

Yeah - too bad he had to be shamed into doing so. How many golf courses are there in Iraq?

(12-26-2018, 06:04 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Dow surges more than ONE THOUSAND points for the biggest single gain in HISTORY on the first day of trading after the markets took the biggest Christmas Eve plunge ever

Did I miss your Christmas Eve post? The one that linked that day with the Great Depression? Did it have CAPS and !!!?

These things take weeks of planning. You are really an ignorant fool.

(12-26-2018, 07:18 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Meh.  The gains today had little-to-nothing to do with the President.  It's all about investors buying the dip.

Rational, vs irrational, behavior in the market.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(12-26-2018, 10:15 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 08:20 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: Yeah - too bad he had to be shamed into doing so. How many golf courses are there in Iraq?

These things take weeks of planning. You are really an ignorant fool.

lol ... weeks of planning? 100 weeks? I know Donald has people jumping ship all the time, he really has a hard time retaining staff - just glad someone (Fox, cough, cough) shamed him into leaving the course so he could visit the troops. It was probably raining in Palm Beach anyway.

Hahaha - a Trumpette calling someone an ignorant fool. Cool.

(12-27-2018, 10:16 AM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 10:15 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: These things take weeks of planning. You are really an ignorant fool.

lol ... weeks of planning? 100 weeks? I know Donald has people jumping ship all the time, he really has a hard time retaining staff - just glad someone (Fox, cough, cough) shamed him into leaving the course so he could visit the troops. It was probably raining in Palm Beach anyway.

Hahaha - a Trumpette calling someone an ignorant fool. Cool.

My advice to you would be to disguise your lack of higher education by just not speaking.

(12-26-2018, 07:18 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Meh.  The gains today had little-to-nothing to do with the President.  It's all about investors buying the dip.

There has to be a lot of program trading involved.   There's no way individual investors would cause market swings of this size.   As of now, down 450 points today.   Yesterday, up 1,000 points.

The greatest thing about this thread is how often someone pops in to let everyone know how little they know about the market.

(12-27-2018, 01:08 PM)Kane Wrote: The greatest thing about this thread is how often someone pops in to let everyone know how little they know about the market.

That's pretty much true of all message boards, anywhere, on any subject.