Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dwayne Haskins (MERGED)

(12-27-2018, 11:50 AM)Kane Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 12:05 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't even recognize the majority of the posters in that thread. Many of them could've been trolls and some looked like they got banned. I don't remember the national sports media over-hyping him. In fact, his stock fell a few weeks before the draft.

Nah... Teddy was "the most pro ready QB" he was supposed to be the 1st QB taken. Or at least that is what everyone told me.
He was super hyped by everyone except GMs of NFL teams, it would seem.
I actually remember having an argument with someone about him cuz Teddy was everyones favorite (Tank for Teddy) and I brought up the fact that some dude I'd never heard of named Blake Bortles played in the same conference, put up similar stats, and actually played better VS out of conference opponents (like Bortles beating Kentucky and Teddy struggling with Vandy, or something like that)
People said I was crazy. Then Caldwell actually drafted Blake Bortles....and Teddy was barely a first rounder after Minny traded up into the first to get him.
And people still hyping up Teddy... as a guy who is on his 3rd team and has taken few meaningful snaps in the past couple years...... people still want us to trade for him.

anywho...
Every year all sorts of arm chair GMs and wanna be scouts try to forecast the future of all these college QBs. Every year everyone gets most of it wrong.

Darnold and Allen were the top guys last year most pundits had Darnold going first... some had Allen as the top guy. Baker was my guy.
Baker looks the best, so far.
Every year the QB crop next year looks better... and every year (OK well... maybe not 2014) there's at least two stud QBs to come out of it.

Anyone who didn't have Mayfield as #1 last year didn't know what they were looking at tbh

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-27-2018, 01:04 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 11:50 AM)Kane Wrote: Nah... Teddy was "the most pro ready QB" he was supposed to be the 1st QB taken. Or at least that is what everyone told me.
He was super hyped by everyone except GMs of NFL teams, it would seem.
I actually remember having an argument with someone about him cuz Teddy was everyones favorite (Tank for Teddy) and I brought up the fact that some dude I'd never heard of named Blake Bortles played in the same conference, put up similar stats, and actually played better VS out of conference opponents (like Bortles beating Kentucky and Teddy struggling with Vandy, or something like that)
People said I was crazy. Then Caldwell actually drafted Blake Bortles....and Teddy was barely a first rounder after Minny traded up into the first to get him.
And people still hyping up Teddy... as a guy who is on his 3rd team and has taken few meaningful snaps in the past couple years...... people still want us to trade for him.

anywho...
Every year all sorts of arm chair GMs and wanna be scouts try to forecast the future of all these college QBs. Every year everyone gets most of it wrong.

Darnold and Allen were the top guys last year most pundits had Darnold going first... some had Allen as the top guy. Baker was my guy.
Baker looks the best, so far.
Every year the QB crop next year looks better... and every year (OK well... maybe not 2014) there's at least two stud QBs to come out of it.

Anyone who didn't have Mayfield as #1 last year didn't know what they were looking at tbh

That's what I'm saying.
(As per posters on the board, those who had Darnold or Allen as #1/#2, seem to be the same that think Herbert was the only QB worth having)

(12-27-2018, 01:29 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 01:04 PM)JackCity Wrote: Anyone who didn't have Mayfield as #1 last year didn't know what they were looking at tbh

That's what I'm saying.
(As per posters on the board, those who had Darnold or Allen as #1/#2, seem to be the same that think Herbert was the only QB worth having)

and the same posters likely said 2017 was a weak class and that Watson was gonna bust...v interesting...

(12-27-2018, 01:44 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 01:29 PM)Kane Wrote: That's what I'm saying.

and the same posters likely said 2017 was a weak class and that Watson was gonna bust...v interesting...
I never understood the people that didn’t like Watson coming out. He proved everything on the biggest stages in college football. His “knock” was ball velocity, and many thought it wouldn’t get it done in the NFL. Whenever he has a bad game same people come out and say, “See I told you, no velocity”. He is a bonafide stud. 

Someone in this draft that I’ve been saying for a couple weeks now who I really like who has a big knock with ball velocity is Ryan Finley. Which is worrisome, but it looks plenty enough to me. He checks off a lot of the other boxes too, and to me makes sense if the team decided to pick a different player first round or trade down perhaps. Literally reminds me of a Cousins clone. Unlike Cousins, maybe he can get it done against winning teams. Time will tell. 

This draft has all the ingredients to overdraft a QB. The only QB I see even worthy of a top 10 pick is Haskins. The rest all seem like second round or later talents. Haskins is no sure thing either this is his first season of tape. Lets see how the bowl game goes. If he ends up staying in school after (which would be a complete SHOCK), disaster!!! It’s going to cost a ton to move up to top 3 to get Haskins, no chance in hell that the first QB goes 8th or whatever. If he’s gone I much rather the team wait till a trade down or second round and take BAP.

(12-27-2018, 03:02 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 01:44 PM)JackCity Wrote: and the same posters likely said 2017 was a weak class and that Watson was gonna bust...v interesting...
I never understood the people that didn’t like Watson coming out. He proved everything on the biggest stages in college football. His “knock” was ball velocity, and many thought it wouldn’t get it done in the NFL. Whenever he has a bad game same people come out and say, “See I told you, no velocity”. He is a bonafide stud. 

Someone in this draft that I’ve been saying for a couple weeks now who I really like who has a big knock with ball velocity is Ryan Finley. Which is worrisome, but it looks plenty enough to me. He checks off a lot of the other boxes too, and to me makes sense if the team decided to pick a different player first round or trade down perhaps. Literally reminds me of a Cousins clone. Unlike Cousins, maybe he can get it done against winning teams. Time will tell. 

This draft has all the ingredients to overdraft a QB. The only QB I see even worthy of a top 10 pick is Haskins. The rest all seem like second round or later talents. Haskins is no sure thing either this is his first season of tape. Lets see how the bowl game goes. If he ends up staying in school after (which would be a complete SHOCK), disaster!!! It’s going to cost a ton to move up to top 3 to get Haskins, no chance in hell that the first QB goes 8th or whatever. If he’s gone I much rather the team wait till a trade down or second round and take BAP.

Yeah there was no doubt in my mind Watson would be legit. The worst thing was that he had legit concerns in certain areas but people chose to die on hills about him and write him off rather than evaluating the full package. The velocity takes were very lazy.  

I think Finley has some nice traits but i do share the concerns with his velocity and ability to play out of structure. Just don't see anything that would make me wanna invest in him as my starting QB.

(12-27-2018, 09:57 AM)KFL Wrote: I'd rather take BPA and then take some like Finley or Daniel Jones in the 2nd.

[Image: 3990771.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 02:27 PM by Setsuna00.)

(12-26-2018, 11:08 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 11:03 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: The Giants would be stupid to draft Haskins. Our fans are the only ones dumb enough to think he'll be anything more than sub par.When he starts struggling he's going to fold like a lawn chair and never recover.

Haskins sucks, Grier sucks, how do you feel about Lock?

I believe any QB in the 2019 draft won't be anything special. I don't want any QB drafted next year by the Jags. Get the other needs and draft a QB in 2020.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

The Haskins hype reminds me a lot of those who were backing Rosen...

Mayfield was my most likely to succeed QB last year, FWIW.

Haskins has a "top 20" grade (supposedly,) and some are saying now he may be the only first round QB in this draft.

Buyer beware... and beware the entire class. Seems like that's always the story years we need to draft a quality QB.

Sign a vet, draft, and keep drafting.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(11-21-2018, 12:14 PM)JNev Wrote: I guess I’m alone on the Lock hill on this board.
CBS compares him to Stafford and says he’s the QB1 of this draft.

I'm all over Lock in the event we lose out on Haskins. I see these two as the only legit first rounders, possibly early first rounders. Grier is my #3 guy who I can see going maybe late 20s at the earliest, but I'd much rather have Lock from what I've seen and researched so far.
'02

(12-28-2018, 01:18 AM)pirkster Wrote: The Haskins hype reminds me a lot of those who were backing Rosen...

Haskins has a "top 20" grade (supposedly,) and some are saying now he may be the only first round QB in this draft.

Buyer beware... and beware the entire class.  Seems like that's always the story years we need to draft a quality QB.

I promise you there won't be only 1 QB taken in the first.

If Grier and/or Lock slips into the 20's, someone is moving back into the round to pick them up.  The fifth year option is too valuable with a QB.

(12-01-2018, 10:44 PM)JackCity Wrote: QB1 and it's not close. We need to get ahead of the giants

I'm not at all opposed to trading up to get our franchise guy. If you determine he's the answer, you gotta do whatever it takes.

Keep in mind that Caldwell is the one GM that's done what it takes when he recognizes elite talent considering his record move up to get Julio Jones with the Falcons.

I like Lock as well, but there's something about Haskins that just puts him up there for me as the clear-cut #1. He just makes the game look so easy. I really have a good feeling about the kid.
'02

(12-28-2018, 10:16 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(12-01-2018, 10:44 PM)JackCity Wrote: QB1 and it's not close. We need to get ahead of the giants

I'm not at all opposed to trading up to get our franchise guy. If you determine he's the answer, you gotta do whatever it takes.

Keep in mind that Caldwell is the one GM that's done what it takes when he recognizes elite talent considering his record move up to get Julio Jones with the Falcons.

I like Lock as well, but there's something about Haskins that just puts him up there for me as the clear-cut #1. He just makes the game look so easy. I really have a good feeling about the kid.

Caldwell wasn't the GM in Atlanta. Agreed on the rest completely though

(12-28-2018, 01:18 AM)pirkster Wrote: The Haskins hype reminds me a lot of those who were backing Rosen...

Buyer beware... and beware the entire class.  Seems like that's always the story years we need to draft a quality QB.

Why even sign a vet? Blake would cost the same as a backup (compared to what we'd be paying him anyway) whereas any vet capable of starting would put our cap in dire straits to acquire. Moreover, I feel like Blake is nearly as good as the top FA qbs like Bridgewater and Fitzpatrick. I can see maybe trading for Mullins or Foles, but then we're talking even more money, a multi-year contract, and draft picks. Just keep Blake for one more season and do what it takes to draft Haskins... or Lock if we simply can't get Haskins. Either way, I can see Haskins or Lock taking over by November. 

(12-28-2018, 10:22 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 10:16 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm not at all opposed to trading up to get our franchise guy. If you determine he's the answer, you gotta do whatever it takes.

Caldwell wasn't the GM in Atlanta. Agreed on the rest completely though

Sure he was. This is from the jaguars.com profile for Caldwell...

Several of the players responsible for the Falcons’ success were drafted during Caldwell’s time including wide receiver Harry Douglas (3rd round, 2008), DE Kroy Biermann (5th round, 2008), linebacker Sean Weatherspoon (1st round, 2010), wide receiver Julio Jones (1st round, 2011) and running back Jacquizz Rogers (5th round, 2011).
'02

(12-03-2018, 03:24 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Long story short, the point is the number of starts is a fairly important statistic to not be overlooked quickly.  If a guy has all the other numbers, skills, etc.. you want and the only thing they dont have is starts, well then your odds he'll be a bust go down.  But it's still a red flag.

But ultimately to your point, if this is the best there is in this year's draft, then you just gotta take him and hope for the best.  There is a reason why everyone keeps saying this is a bad draft for QBs.

This is a bad draft for QBs, but that's not a knock on Haskins. It's a bad draft because there are so few guys capable of starting within a year. Really you only have Haskins, Lock and Grier, and I don't feel like Grier is an ideal fit for the Jaguars pro-set, run-the-ball mentality. Finley has potential to eventually start, but probably not this year and I don't see him going round one. Then it's a drop off to guys like Daniel Jones, Jarrett Stidham, Clayton Thorson and Tyree Jackson. 
'02

(12-28-2018, 10:23 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

Why even sign a vet? Blake would cost the same as a backup (compared to what we'd be paying him anyway) whereas any vet capable of starting would put our cap in dire straits to acquire. Moreover, I feel like Blake is nearly as good as the top FA qbs like Bridgewater and Fitzpatrick. I can see maybe trading for Mullins or Foles, but then we're talking even more money, a multi-year contract, and draft picks. Just keep Blake for one more season and do what it takes to draft Haskins... or Lock if we simply can't get Haskins. Either way, I can see Haskins or Lock taking over by November. 

(12-28-2018, 10:22 AM)JackCity Wrote: Caldwell wasn't the GM in Atlanta. Agreed on the rest completely though

Several of the players responsible for the Falcons’ success were drafted during Caldwell’s time including wide receiver Harry Douglas (3rd round, 2008), DE Kroy Biermann (5th round, 2008), linebacker Sean Weatherspoon (1st round, 2010), wide receiver Julio Jones (1st round, 2011) and running back Jacquizz Rogers (5th round, 2011).

Nope, Jaguars was his first GM job. He was a director of college scouting form 2008-2011 and then director of player personnel in 2012. Thomas Dimitroff has been the GM in Atlanta since 2008

(12-09-2018, 12:53 AM)archer56 Wrote: Does anyone have a good game where haskins is under constant pressure? I watched the michigan game but it seemed like he literally had all day to throw the ball and if you get time like that in college you can pick apart any secondary. He wont get that kinda time in the NFL even if our Oline comes back fully healthy and performs closer to 2017 than 18

Good point, although Ohio wasn't exactly known for stellar OL play so I think he's had some experience with pressure.

I noticed the same thing watching Grier. His OL consistently held up down after down giving him all the time in the world to throw. He's definitely a shot-gun, pocket passer, but I just cringe to think of him under intense NFL pressure. I don't really see a guy who can buy time for deeper throws or who can make things happen after escaping the pocket. At best he's Byron Leftwich with a quicker release.
'02

(12-28-2018, 10:39 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 03:24 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Long story short, the point is the number of starts is a fairly important statistic to not be overlooked quickly.  If a guy has all the other numbers, skills, etc.. you want and the only thing they dont have is starts, well then your odds he'll be a bust go down.  But it's still a red flag.

But ultimately to your point, if this is the best there is in this year's draft, then you just gotta take him and hope for the best.  There is a reason why everyone keeps saying this is a bad draft for QBs.

This is a bad draft for QBs, but that's not a knock on Haskins. It's a bad draft because there are so few guys capable of starting within a year. Really you only have Haskins, Lock and Grier, and I don't feel like Grier is an ideal fit for the Jaguars pro-set, run-the-ball mentality. Finley has potential to eventually start, but probably not this year and I don't see him going round one. Then it's a drop off to guys like Daniel Jones, Jarrett Stidham, Clayton Thorson and Tyree Jackson. 
Definitely agree.

I think the tiers are

1. Haskins

2. Lock
3. Grier

4. Jones

Everyone else.

Haskins, to me, is the man. I think he would have been taken ahead of Rosen and Allen in last years draft.

(12-10-2018, 08:43 PM)Upper Wrote: Who doesn't like Tyree Jackson?

(12-10-2018, 10:56 PM)roycee Wrote:

I like Jackson as a guy to sit for a year and develop his game. But if we're looking for a guy ready to play day 1, he's not it.

(12-11-2018, 12:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

He has talent, but he is really raw. He's nowhere near ready for the NFL. Give him a year or two and let me re-evaluate him.

I still need to watch Jackson to see what all the hype is about. From what I'm reading I can see him as an insurance/backup pick to compete with Kessler and Tanner Lee for a spot, but even in that role, I'm not sure I like him over guys like Thorson, Stidham, Rypien and Shea Patterson.
'02

(12-28-2018, 11:02 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

(12-10-2018, 10:56 PM)roycee Wrote: I like Jackson as a guy to sit for a year and develop his game. But if we're looking for a guy ready to play day 1, he's not it.

(12-11-2018, 12:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He has talent, but he is really raw. He's nowhere near ready for the NFL. Give him a year or two and let me re-evaluate him.

I still need to watch Jackson to see what all the hype is about. From what I'm reading I can see him as an insurance/backup pick to compete with Kessler and Tanner Lee for a spot, but even in that role, I'm not sure I like him over guys like Thorson, Stidham, Rypien and Shea Patterson.

02 - Jackson is likely going to be a grad transfer and Patterson is staying at Michigan.

(12-28-2018, 10:50 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 10:23 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Why even sign a vet? Blake would cost the same as a backup (compared to what we'd be paying him anyway) whereas any vet capable of starting would put our cap in dire straits to acquire. Moreover, I feel like Blake is nearly as good as the top FA qbs like Bridgewater and Fitzpatrick. I can see maybe trading for Mullins or Foles, but then we're talking even more money, a multi-year contract, and draft picks. Just keep Blake for one more season and do what it takes to draft Haskins... or Lock if we simply can't get Haskins. Either way, I can see Haskins or Lock taking over by November. 

Nope, Jaguars was his first GM job. He was a director of college scouting form 2008-2011 and then director of player personnel in 2012. Thomas Dimitroff has been the GM in Atlanta since 2008

Oh, ok. I managed to skip right over this sentence from his Jaguars bio...

Caldwell served the 2012 season as the Falcons’ director of player personnel where he was responsible for both college and pro scouting efforts under Falcons General Manager Thomas Dimitroff.

I always thought we got their GM, especially after watching him gush about how great of a talent Matt Ryan is and how the Jaguars have never had the opportunity to get a qb near Ryan's talent level under his watch.  This is largely why we're such a run-first, defensive team because Caldwell knows full well we don't really have a legit starting qb despite selecting Blake #2 overall.

(12-28-2018, 11:10 AM)roycee Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 11:02 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I still need to watch Jackson to see what all the hype is about. From what I'm reading I can see him as an insurance/backup pick to compete with Kessler and Tanner Lee for a spot, but even in that role, I'm not sure I like him over guys like Thorson, Stidham, Rypien and Shea Patterson.

02 - Jackson is likely going to be a grad transfer and Patterson is staying at Michigan.

So Jackson is staying too?  

I've scratched Patterson off my list.
'02