Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags sign QB Alex McGough

(01-15-2019, 06:25 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/zach_goodall/status/...89440?s=21

isn't the nfl minimum salary 'north of 6 figures' 6 figures is 100k.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-15-2019, 07:27 PM)shadowjag01 Wrote: Take note that almost every play on that video is 4th quarter garbage plays. I would love for him to be the one. But who knows.

To be the one what? Backup QB?

He's a better QB than Tanner Lee, and will give Kessler good competition for the backup role. Not a Super Bowl move, but gives the backend roster a guy with developmental upside.

They found a guy that will compete for the #2 job who has some escapability.
After the brief Kessler stint - the F.O. probably feels mobility is a valuable quality for their back-up QB to possess.
He's got a bit of upside. They could do worse for back-up competition.
Sketchy looking velocity on a few of those sideline throws in the vid. Some of those may be INT bait against starting level corners.

(01-15-2019, 08:36 PM)ATLjag Wrote: He's a better QB than Tanner Lee, and will give Kessler good competition for the backup role.  Not a Super Bowl move, but gives the backend roster a guy with developmental upside.

I'd be a little surprised if Kessler is one the roster by the end of July.  Wouldn't be shocked if he's released much sooner.  
He had a pretty extended audition already and I really didn't see anything that would make me want to give him another chance.

I also thought Tanner Lee looked better in preseason week 4 than the preseason week 3 stuff in that McGough reel.

"Camp arm"

We're gonna say that now, but just watch: Come October or November, when our starting QB stinks it up, we're gonna be asking to give this guy a shot to start

Good arm

I can just hear the fans chanting now. "Geeewwwwwwww!!!"
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-15-2019, 08:17 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 06:25 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/zach_goodall/status/...89440?s=21

isn't the nfl minimum salary 'north of 6 figures' 6 figures is 100k.
It's a reserve/futures contract. Basically he has a contract to show up for minicamp and offseason workouts. If they like him, they will sign him to a real contract before camp starts.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

SUPERB OWL!

(01-15-2019, 09:28 PM)jaglyn Wrote: "Camp arm"

We're gonna say that now, but just watch: Come October or November, when our starting QB stinks it up, we're gonna be asking to give this guy a shot to start

And three games later we'll be begging for Bortles back.

(01-16-2019, 12:11 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 09:28 PM)jaglyn Wrote: "Camp arm"

And three games later we'll be begging for Bortles back.

https://youtu.be/IwH9YvhPN7c?t=70

(01-15-2019, 11:13 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 08:17 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: isn't the nfl minimum salary 'north of 6 figures' 6 figures is 100k.
It's a reserve/futures contract. Basically he has a contract to show up for minicamp and offseason workouts. If they like him, they will sign him to a real contract before camp starts.

There's is no such thing as a contract to just show up for the OTAs. A reserve/futures contract means he's signed for the future, as in the 2019 season. There wouldn't be any new contract.

As for the minimum, the NFL minimum salary for rookies this season is $495,000, and he's still considered a rookie since he's only played in Preseason games to date. You'd have to be a 10+ year vet for your minimum salary to be north of six figures.

It's hard to judge him on those games since it was in Preseason garbage time vs 3rd and 4th stringers where he didn't appear to face any real pressure, however, it was clear that he's got a beautiful arc on his passes and at least has the ability to nail some deeper throws.
'02

(01-16-2019, 09:21 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 11:13 PM)p_rushing Wrote: It's a reserve/futures contract. Basically he has a contract to show up for minicamp and offseason workouts. If they like him, they will sign him to a real contract before camp starts.

There's is no such thing as a contract to just show up for the OTAs. A reserve/futures contract means he's signed for the future, as in the 2019 season. There wouldn't be any new contract.

As for the minimum, the NFL minimum salary for rookies this season is $495,000, and he's still considered a rookie since he's only played in Preseason games to date. You'd have to be a 10+ year vet for your minimum salary to be north of six figures.

It's hard to judge him on those games since it was in Preseason garbage time vs 3rd and 4th stringers where he didn't appear to face any real pressure, however, it was clear that he's got a beautiful arc on his passes and at least has the ability to nail some deeper throws.

Futures contracts often really do end up being merely an off-season addition - but they don’t have to be. 

When the season ends (for any teams not continuing in the postseason) front offices begin a flurry of futures deals. Players on any team’s practice squad as well as free agents not currently signed are all fair game. And most importantly - none of these deals count against your 53. So you are adding against your 90 man offseason roster count. For that reason - many of these players don’t outlast camp cuts. 

To put this in perspective - NFL Teams have collectively signed 273 players to futures deals since the regular season ended. This  happens every year. 

The VAST majority of those players are being treated as “camp invites.”  Most of them will not survive cuts.

Maybe the Jags see more in this QBs future than camp, maybe not.

(01-15-2019, 07:16 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 06:52 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Alex McGough Facts: Alex McGough has fewer losses as an NFL starter than Tom Brady.

He has also never lost a SB, Brady's lost 3.

Great point!
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-16-2019, 12:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 09:21 AM)Jags02 Wrote: There's is no such thing as a contract to just show up for the OTAs. A reserve/futures contract means he's signed for the future, as in the 2019 season. There wouldn't be any new contract.

Futures contracts often really do end up being merely an off-season addition - but they don’t have to be. 

When the season ends (for any teams not continuing in the postseason) front offices begin a flurry of futures deals. Players on any team’s practice squad as well as free agents not currently signed are all fair game. And most importantly - none of these deals count against your 53. So you are adding against your 90 man offseason roster count. For that reason - many of these players don’t outlast camp cuts. 

To put this in perspective - NFL Teams have collectively signed 273 players to futures deals since the regular season ended. This  happens every year. 

The VAST majority of those players are being treated as “camp invites.”  Most of them will not survive cuts.

Sure these players often fail to make it through the roster cuts, but that's not what we were talking about. The post I replied to was suggesting that if he made it he'd get a new contract. That's simply not the case. Also, regarding the guys who often get cut, you don't see that happen all that much with players on a futures contract making north of six figures.
'02

Guy looks like he has some talent to play with.

(01-16-2019, 08:03 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 12:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Futures contracts often really do end up being merely an off-season addition - but they don’t have to be. 

Sure these players often fail to make it through the roster cuts, but that's not what we were talking about. The post I replied to was suggesting that if he made it he'd get a new contract. That's simply not the case. Also, regarding the guys who often get cut, you don't see that happen all that much with players on a futures contract making north of six figures.

What is north of 6 figures though? All contracts have to be north of $100,000 because of the league minimum. Is he then making 7 figures? If he is, why not say 7? The statement makes no sense unless he doesn't have a full contract for next season and just has something paying him for camp.

He can't be any worse than Kessler was last year, can he?

(01-16-2019, 11:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He can't be any worse than Kessler was last year, can he?

Behind the same O-Line?

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 11:35 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(01-16-2019, 08:16 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Guy looks like he has some talent to play with.

I can only imagine that he's been playing with a lot of talent down @ FIU over his 4 year career as well.  They're ranked #1 via the link below.

https://acoollist.com/top-10-universitie...irl-world/

[Image: 6a0134865674e5970c013488237c74970c-pi]

[Image: 467d0f5eb035608335c82d9210c2bb97.jpg]