Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nick Foles

(02-03-2019, 01:59 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 11:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yes I would give a 5th for Foles.  Every 3rd round pick isnt a Yannick but I dont go in to the draft thinking like that.  If you trust in you scouts and your evaluations you feel you can get that next gem

So you'd give a very early 5th for Foles but not a very late 3rd? For the chance to become the 2nd best team in the league with a top 10 QB? 

Just seems  a very odd stance to take. Only a round difference inbetween those two values and the rewards are massive

Top ten QB?

I am not sure about that,  even though he would  improve our team.

Where would he rank among QBs in our division?

Does him winning  a Super Bowl somehow elevate him above guys like Luck and Watson, who haven't? If so, how would Flacco fare under a similar analysis?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-04-2019, 10:41 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-03-2019, 01:59 PM)JackCity Wrote: So you'd give a very early 5th for Foles but not a very late 3rd? For the chance to become the 2nd best team in the league with a top 10 QB? 

Just seems  a very odd stance to take. Only a round difference inbetween those two values and the rewards are massive

Top ten QB?

Does him winning  a Super Bowl somehow elevate him above guys like Luck and Watson, who haven't? If so, how would Flacco fare under a similar analysis?

I'm using flgators debate points Bullseye. He thinks he can be a top 10 QB here and would make us the 2nd best team in the league , but for some reason he wouldn't give up a late 3rd to land him.   

Don't you think that's an odd stance?

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2019, 10:47 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-03-2019, 01:59 PM)JackCity Wrote: So you'd give a very early 5th for Foles but not a very late 3rd? For the chance to become the 2nd best team in the league with a top 10 QB? 

Top ten QB?

He would be the 2nd best QB in the division behind Luck

(02-04-2019, 10:44 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 10:41 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Top ten QB?

I'm using flgators debate points Bullseye. He thinks he can be a top 10 QB here and would make us the 2nd best team in the league , but for some reason he wouldn't give up a late 3rd to land him.   

He isnt the only QB that could make us the 2nd best team in the league, but he is 1 of them. We were a top 4 team with Bortles so it's not a stretch to improve to a top 2 team.  We just have to stay some what healthy and have good QB play

(02-04-2019, 10:44 AM)JackCity Wrote:

It is an odd stance, but I have been wrestling with the logic behind a Foles acquisition for a few weeks and the same questions I posed to you popped in my head.

In short, I am not trying to assail your logic or his.  Just trying to be convinced either way on Foles.

The fact there is so much discomfort  over him should say something, I am beginning to think.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-04-2019, 10:44 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

(02-04-2019, 10:44 AM)JackCity Wrote: I'm using flgators debate points Bullseye. He thinks he can be a top 10 QB here and would make us the 2nd best team in the league , but for some reason he wouldn't give up a late 3rd to land him.   

He isnt the only QB that could make us the 2nd best team in the league, but he is 1 of them. We were a top 4 team with Bortles so it's not a stretch to improve to a top 2 team.  We just have to stay some what healthy and have good QB play
I'll take Watson over Foles any day of the week.

Foles has all day to throw behind an elite OLine. He would be crap behind the Texans line.

(02-04-2019, 10:44 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

(02-04-2019, 10:44 AM)JackCity Wrote: I'm using flgators debate points Bullseye. He thinks he can be a top 10 QB here and would make us the 2nd best team in the league , but for some reason he wouldn't give up a late 3rd to land him.   

Who are the other ones available to us this year?

(02-04-2019, 03:58 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: You are incorrect. For the Eagles trade him after franchising him, Foles has to sign the Franchise tender. You are then trading a Franchised Player contract and have follow those rules. 

It's what the Dolphins and Jarvis Landry did last year.

Technically this is correct, but you are missing what is actually going to happen.

Eagles pickup offer, Foles pays $2 million (this doesn't have to happen)
Eagles Franchise Tag him
Foles doesn't sign the tag
Eagles have to trade him or release him by the July date
Foles has all the power to decide what team he is traded to. He has to sign the tag before the trade can happen.
Foles also will negotiate a new contract with the trading team before signing then tag.
Eagles release him before the July date as the contract is then a guaranteed 1 year deal and they can't keep him with the salary cap.

If Foles is traded and the team doesn't offer him the contract they would have already agreed to, he would holdout.

Eagles want a 3rd round pick because that is what they will get in compensation if they just let him go. So I doubt they take anything less unless they really don't want him going to the NFC.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(02-04-2019, 10:50 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

It is an odd stance, but I have been wrestling with the logic behind a Foles acquisition for a few weeks and the same questions I posed to you popped in my head.

In short, I am not trying to assail your logic or his.  Just trying to be convinced either way on Foles.

The fact there is so much discomfort  over him should say something, I am beginning to think.

He'd be the 3rd best QB in the division.  

I think most people agree he'd make us better. Personally feel thinking he can give us average level production is fair , maybe he can lead a game winning drive or two and win a game a late, something Blake rarely did. 

I'm not going to be the team who gives him 25 million a year for that and I'm certaintly not going to expected him to make us the 2nd best team in football + be a top 10 QB

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2019, 11:47 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-04-2019, 11:28 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 10:44 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He would be the 2nd best QB in the division behind Luck

Who are the other ones available to us this year?

There arent any more FA QBs available this year that could make us as good as we were a couple years ago imo.  I like a few in the draft it's just more of a risk.

(02-04-2019, 11:40 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 10:50 AM)Bullseye Wrote: It is an odd stance, but I have been wrestling with the logic behind a Foles acquisition for a few weeks and the same questions I posed to you popped in my head.

He'd be the 3rd best QB in the division.  

I think most people agree he'd make us better. Personally feel thinking he can give us average level production is fair , maybe he can lead a game winning drive or two and win a game a late, something Blake rarely did. 

I'm not going to be the team who gives him 25 million a year for that and I'm certaintly not going to expected him to make us the 2nd best team in football + be a top 10 QB
If it was trade our late 3rd round pick for Foles or trade future 1sts to move up and get Haskins.  I'd rather trade our late 3rd round pick than give up furlture 1sts to move up.  I'd even rather trade back to get more picks than move up like some want to do

(02-04-2019, 11:44 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 11:28 AM)JackCity Wrote: Who are the other ones available to us this year?

There arent any more FA QBs available this year that could make us as good as we were a couple years ago imo.  I like a few in the draft it's just more of a risk.

(02-04-2019, 11:40 AM)JackCity Wrote: He'd be the 3rd best QB in the division.  

If it was trade our late 3rd round pick for Foles or trade future 1sts to move up and get Haskins.  I'd rather trade our late 3rd round pick than give up furlture 1sts to move up.  I'd even rather trade back to get more picks than move up like some want to do
Foles is a band aid fix for the QB position. Gimme the young ascending QB who is on a rookie contract in Haskins.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2019, 12:08 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Top ten QB?

If not top 10 I definitely feel he will be top half

(02-04-2019, 12:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 11:44 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There arent any more FA QBs available this year that could make us as good as we were a couple years ago imo.  I like a few in the draft it's just more of a risk.

Foles is a band aid fix for the QB position. Gimme the young ascending QB who is on a rookie contract in Haskins.

What If the Giants draft Haskins? Foles is 30, depends on what you consider a band aid. I think he will be good at least another 4 years or so while we have most of this team in its prime

(02-04-2019, 12:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 11:44 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There arent any more FA QBs available this year that could make us as good as we were a couple years ago imo.  I like a few in the draft it's just more of a risk.

That young ascending QB like Bortles, Gabbert, and Teddy was?

(02-04-2019, 12:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

If not top 10 I definitely feel he will be top half

(02-04-2019, 12:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Foles is a band aid fix for the QB position. Gimme the young ascending QB who is on a rookie contract in Haskins.

What If the Giants draft Haskins?  Foles is 30, depends on what you consider a band aid.  I think he will be good at least another 4 years or so while we have most of this team in its prime

(02-04-2019, 12:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Foles is a band aid fix for the QB position. Gimme the young ascending QB who is on a rookie contract in Haskins.
No. More like Mahomes, Watson, Mayfield, Darnold....

So because the Jags have whiffed on QBs before in the draft, they should only get vets? Why are you only bringing up Bortles, Gabbert and Teddy? Why aren't you bringing up the other QBs who were selected in the 1st round who are now all-pro or pro bowl players? 

And exactly how many FA QBs have won a SB who were not already HOF players?

(02-04-2019, 12:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 12:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If not top 10 I definitely feel he will be top half

What If the Giants draft Haskins?  Foles is 30, depends on what you consider a band aid.  I think he will be good at least another 4 years or so while we have most of this team in its prime

No. More like Mahomes, Watson, Mayfield, Darnold....

So because the Jags have whiffed on QBs before in the draft, they should only get vets? Why are you only bringing up Bortles, Gabbert and Teddy? Why aren't you bringing up the other QBs who were selected in the 1st round who are now all-pro or pro bowl players? 

There arent a lot of QBs period that have won a SB that isnt HOF players

(02-04-2019, 12:28 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 12:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: No. More like Mahomes, Watson, Mayfield, Darnold....

There arent a lot of QBs period that have won a SB that isnt HOF players
My point is QBs who were acquired through FA who actually won a SB? In the past 18 years it's been Brad Johnson, Dilfer, Manning, Brees and Foles. The majority of QBs who win SBs are ones that were drafted by their original team.

Just playing the odds here but I don't think a journeyman QB is going to win 2 Superbowls and that's what we are asking of Foles.

(02-04-2019, 01:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 12:28 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There arent a lot of QBs period that have won a SB that isnt HOF players
My point is QBs who were acquired through FA who actually won a SB? In the past 18 years it's been Brad Johnson, Dilfer, Manning, Brees and Foles. The majority of QBs who win SBs are ones that were drafted by their original team.

Just playing the odds here but I don't think a journeyman QB is going to win 2 Superbowls and that's what we are asking of Foles.

In the last 18 years Tom Brady has won a 1/3 of the SBs lol

(02-04-2019, 01:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 01:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: My point is QBs who were acquired through FA who actually won a SB? In the past 18 years it's been Brad Johnson, Dilfer, Manning, Brees and Foles. The majority of QBs who win SBs are ones that were drafted by their original team.

Alright. Well how about of the last 30 SB winners, still only 5 were acquired through FA. And 6 of the past 30 SB losing QBs were acquired through FA.

The best bet for a QB to win or even make a SB is to have one you drafted.

(02-04-2019, 01:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 01:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: My point is QBs who were acquired through FA who actually won a SB? In the past 18 years it's been Brad Johnson, Dilfer, Manning, Brees and Foles. The majority of QBs who win SBs are ones that were drafted by their original team.

So what you're saying is you'd trade our 6th for Foles? Tongue

(02-04-2019, 01:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 12:28 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There arent a lot of QBs period that have won a SB that isnt HOF players

Soooo since 2000, 5 qbs signed in free agency have won a SB and 5 who were drafted have won a SB with the team that drafted them (not including Foles bc he was drafted by eagles but was traded away and later resigned in free agency prior to last seasons run)

Free Agents: Dilfer 2000, Brad Johnson 2002, Peyton Manning Broncos 2015, Brees 2009.

Drafted: Brady, Manning colts 2006, Rodgers 2010, Flacco 2012, Big Ben 2005 & 2008.

Foles is kind of both, and arguably manning as he got a ring both ways.

The takeaway is this: its damn near a dead even split. What matters is that the guy behind center just has to be "good enough" regardless of how you acquire him. So what if Foles isnt the best qb in the division, with our roster rn he is good enough to win a championship. Personally i think hes better than Watson and Mariota, but i could see an argument for the former (although hes grossly overrated imho).

Sign Foles, trade a 3rd or whatever. Just dont waste this window and have Jalen and co. Leave for greener pastures and set us back to square one. Strike while the iron is hot. #Nick Foles #DTWD
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(02-04-2019, 02:08 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 01:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: In the last 18 years Tom Brady has won a 1/3 of the SBs lol

So what you're saying is you'd trade our 6th for Foles? Tongue

Exactly