Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles will be a top 10 to 15 QB....Let's debate

(02-12-2019, 12:48 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 08:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This whole narrative is way overblown IMO. 

Hackett did a pretty good job with Blake IMO. His failure was more in the ground game. He failed to solve the Fournette conundrum. 
I don't think Hackett held back Blake, I think Blake held back Hackett. 
Hackett was handcuffed by Blake's limitations and number of low percentage passes throughout the route tree. 
That he got what he did out of Blake in 2017 is actually impressive to me. 

The O-Line injury gripe is legit for 2018, but not so much in another two dozen career games in which Blake displayed horrible accuracy, terrible timing, zero route anticipation and bad decision making. 

How in the world all those things have not appeared glaringly bad to you over five years is a true mystery to me.

I'm not delusional.  Blake has looked bad, like really bad, throughout his career.  He has had gems in there but with all of the excuses from the coaching staff, to the offseason work with house, etc. I never knew whether to blame blake for his slow progression or to blame the coaching staff for not knowing how to develop him.  Its your First Round Draft Pick and all you do is blame the player for being alot worse than you originally evaluated.  Thats just throw the whole staff away worthy to me.

1.  They already threw the whole staff away once. How many times do you do that? If you're Kahn and TC is telling you it's not the staff, do you fire the (fairly new) staff and keep the QB who has sucked the better part of 5 years? 
The kid has worked w/ Tom Brady's throwing coach for 4 offseasons and he still can't throw a football. It's not the coaches.

2.  Sometimes blaming the player for being worse than originally evaluated is simply the correct assessment.
Especially with first round quarterbacks since they are routinely overdrafted year after year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-12-2019, 01:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 12:48 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I'm not delusional.  Blake has looked bad, like really bad, throughout his career.  He has had gems in there but with all of the excuses from the coaching staff, to the offseason work with house, etc. I never knew whether to blame blake for his slow progression or to blame the coaching staff for not knowing how to develop him.  Its your First Round Draft Pick and all you do is blame the player for being alot worse than you originally evaluated.  Thats just throw the whole staff away worthy to me.

1.  They already threw the whole staff away once. How many times do you do that? If you're Kahn and TC is telling you it's not the staff, do you fire the (fairly new) staff and keep the QB who has sucked the better part of 5 years? 
The kid has worked w/ Tom Brady's throwing coach for 4 offseasons and he still can't throw a football. It's not the coaches.

2.  Sometimes blaming the player for being worse than originally evaluated is simply the correct assessment.
Especially with first round quarterbacks since they are routinely overdrafted year after year.

I hear ya.  Its just we have been missing on QBs for over a decade.  The last i heard about TC and the thoughts on BB5, is they wanted to keep him as the starter and thats why we didnt go QB last year.  We not only didnt go QB to keep Blake as a starter but we didnt draft him any help whatsoever.  TC is cool but someone has to be at fault for this decision making process.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(02-12-2019, 01:45 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 01:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 1.  They already threw the whole staff away once. How many times do you do that? If you're Kahn and TC is telling you it's not the staff, do you fire the (fairly new) staff and keep the QB who has sucked the better part of 5 years? 

I hear ya.  Its just we have been missing on QBs for over a decade.  The last i heard about TC and the thoughts on BB5, is they wanted to keep him as the starter and thats why we didnt go QB last year.  We not only didnt go QB to keep Blake as a starter but we didnt draft him any help whatsoever.  TC is cool but someone has to be at fault for this decision making process.

TC and Caldwell must absolutely share blame for keeping Bortles too long and for extending him. 
Even if the contract terms were reasonable coming off of a playoff run --  Bortles' 2018 performance rendered that extension a poor decision. 

I think they have every intention of placing a new starter this offseason, whether it's a rookie that starts around the bye week or sooner, or a vet that they clear cap space to sign to a large contract. They will make effort to place someone else behind center moving forward.  If it's a rookie, maybe Blake gets a shot at bridging the gap, but I suspect he's gone on March 13th.

(02-12-2019, 01:45 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 01:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 1.  They already threw the whole staff away once. How many times do you do that? If you're Kahn and TC is telling you it's not the staff, do you fire the (fairly new) staff and keep the QB who has sucked the better part of 5 years? 

I don't trust TC or Caldwell. They're the ones who drafted Fournette 4th overall. They decided to stick with BB5 because of 1 average playoff game against the Patriots. They don't have the insight to be a step ahead of the game but instead, are reactionary. Look at the Chiefs. Were they content with Alex Smith? No way. They knew they needed to get better and drafted Mahomes for the future.

Knowing this front office, they will probably pay Foles (mistake in my eyes) instead of really trying to find a long term solution at QB with Haskins.

(02-12-2019, 02:16 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 01:45 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I hear ya.  Its just we have been missing on QBs for over a decade.  The last i heard about TC and the thoughts on BB5, is they wanted to keep him as the starter and thats why we didnt go QB last year.  We not only didnt go QB to keep Blake as a starter but we didnt draft him any help whatsoever.  TC is cool but someone has to be at fault for this decision making process.
I don't trust TC or Caldwell. They're the ones who drafted Fournette 4th overall. They decided to stick with BB5 because of 1 average playoff game against the Patriots. They don't have the insight to be a step ahead of the game but instead, are reactionary. Look at the Chiefs. Were they content with Alex Smith? No way. They knew they needed to get better and drafted Mahomes for the future.

Knowing this front office, they will probably pay Foles (mistake in my eyes) instead of really trying to find a long term solution at QB with Haskins.

Even worse, they stuck with him after that ridiculously bad 2016 season.

(02-12-2019, 02:24 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 02:16 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don't trust TC or Caldwell. They're the ones who drafted Fournette 4th overall. They decided to stick with BB5 because of 1 average playoff game against the Patriots. They don't have the insight to be a step ahead of the game but instead, are reactionary. Look at the Chiefs. Were they content with Alex Smith? No way. They knew they needed to get better and drafted Mahomes for the future.

Even worse, they stuck with him after that ridiculously bad 2016 season.
The bar for good QB play is so low in Jacksonville that when Blake threw for 3,700 yards, 21 TDs and 13 interceptions, people called it a good season. Then in the playoffs he throws for 87 yards against Buffalo in what was one of the worst passing displays in playoff history, 214 against the Steelers and then his "breakout" 293 game..... Let's resign him! The Pats defense last year was absolutely terrible. Mariota threw for 250 and 2 TDs and Foles threw for 370 and 3 TDs.

They signed Blake based on the emotion of making it to the AFCCG.

We were a top 10 offence in 2017 though weren't we. That's with rookies at wr and Lee and nobody of note at TE.

If Blake wasn't any good, who was carrying him on offence?

(02-12-2019, 10:22 PM)lastonealive Wrote: We were a top 10 offence in 2017 though weren't we. That's with rookies at wr and Lee and nobody of note at TE.

You're kidding, right?

The Jags were 17th in pass yards per game in 2017.
The defense and the run game carried them in most of their wins that year.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2019, 11:01 PM by lastonealive.)

I said the offence not the passing offence. When you are up a lot you tend to run the ball more. Also you have to at least be efficient in a run orientated offence.

Let's not forget that same run game was terrible in 2018.

The defence doesn't catapult the offence into the top 10. They still have to move the ball.

Jags were 6th in total yards and 5th in points per game

(02-12-2019, 10:59 PM)lastonealive Wrote: I said the offence not the passing offence. When you are up a lot you tend to run the ball more. Also you have to at least be efficient in a run orientated offence.

Let's not forget that same run game was terrible in 2018.

The defence doesn't catapult the offence into the top 10. They still have to move the ball.

Jags were 6th in total yards and 5th in points per game

17th in pass yards per game - 2017

1st in rush yards per game - 2017

Yeah.  It was Blake freaking Bortles carrying that team.  LOL.  You'd have to be delusional to believe that.

Doubt he would even be the top 3 QB in the AFF

LOL part of me wants to see Bortles back just to see the complete mental breakdown of this forum.

(02-12-2019, 10:22 PM)lastonealive Wrote: We were a top 10 offence in 2017 though weren't we. That's with rookies at wr and Lee and nobody of note at TE.

The entire gameplan was based on giving training wheels for Blake so he wouldn't have to do much. And apart from that good 3 game stretch that's exactly what we did.

Here is a better question. Could Bortles become a decent football coach?

His issues are more mechanics of physically throwing a football, reading a field quickly, and pulling the trigger when he needs to.

I actually suspect he has a pretty decent football IQ. He has always said the right things, and been a good leader who can get the team to rally around him. I think he could use those good traits to set up a coaching career if he wanted to go that route.

Huh, This guy dug in pretty hard in this thread. Hats off to you buddy. I tried, but I can't get on board with just about anything he says but I'm giving him an A for effort in this one. The board needed this kind of thread. The Nick Foles thread has gotten a little wore out.

Keep fighting the good fight JagsFansince1995. Who knows you may convince someone lol.

(02-13-2019, 02:55 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: Here is a better question. Could Bortles become a decent football coach?

His issues are more mechanics of physically throwing a football, reading a field quickly, and pulling the trigger when he needs to.

I actually suspect he has a pretty decent football IQ. He has always said the right things, and been a good leader who can get the team to rally around him. I think he could use those good traits to set up a coaching career if he wanted to go that route.

Most Qbs who go into coaching are the guys who were never any good in the NFL. That said I think its pretty impossible to know if they'll good or not based on their career work. There isn't really much traits you can go off. 

Blakes football IQ is one of his worst traits imo. He never showed any aptitude for reading coverage or knowing when he was being baited. Routinely showed lack of situational awareness

(02-13-2019, 06:54 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 02:55 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: Here is a better question. Could Bortles become a decent football coach?

Most Qbs who go into coaching are the guys who were never any good in the NFL. That said I think its pretty impossible to know if they'll good or not based on their career work. There isn't really much traits you can go off. 

Blakes football IQ is one of his worst traits imo. He never showed any aptitude for reading coverage or knowing when he was being baited. Routinely showed lack of situational awareness

I wonder though if that issue was more of an game-speed issue, than an overall issue. True that means he cannot play QB, but it doesn't mean he cannot teach football. I mean if in every meeting he couldn't break down film and get through a game plan, and note any tendencies, then this franchise is even more screwed up than any of us realize

(02-13-2019, 09:38 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 06:54 AM)JackCity Wrote: Most Qbs who go into coaching are the guys who were never any good in the NFL. That said I think its pretty impossible to know if they'll good or not based on their career work. There isn't really much traits you can go off. 

I wonder though if that issue was more of an game-speed issue, than an overall issue. True that means he cannot play QB, but it doesn't mean he cannot teach football. I mean if in every meeting he couldn't break down film and get through a game plan, and note any tendencies, then this franchise is even more screwed up than any of us realize

Yeah that's what I'm saying. I don't think you can tell if he'd be a good coach or not because they are such different jobs.  Some of the best teachers were miserable players.  

I just wouldn't be able to bank on his football IQ being an asset.

Wait... You think a guy who has issues reading the field will be a good coach?

Bortles threw for 21 TDs last season and some think he was carrying the team? Yikes. The defense carried this team by allowing an average of about 14 points a game as well as scoring 8 TDs AND getting about 30 turnovers. I mean he threw for 21 TDs in todays NFL.

Scratch Flacco off the list he is going to Broncos per Adam Schefter