Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kyler Murray

(02-12-2019, 09:27 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 08:56 PM)Jords808 Wrote: Lol all you guys trip me out, hes just a young guy who loves both sports that was trying to make a decision that would forever impact his life. Relax, seesh. Anyway he just fully committed to football so all that talk dont matter. Bottom line he is a baller. The ONLY knock on him is height. If your gonna argue to pass on him, make a case not to pick him that doesn't include his height.....
I am tired of the "prototypical size" QB.

Byron leftwich 6'5/ 250 - GARBAGE
David Garrard 6'3/ 235 - just 2 productive yrs
Blaine Gabbert 6'4/ 235 - HORRIBLE
Blake Bortles 6'5/ 236 - TRASH

Drafting the "right" size qb doesn't seem so smart now does it.... Murray has all the tools to be great... i mean our greatest Franchise was literally our smallest starting be we ever had. Mark Brunell 6'1/ 215

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You sound like a guy that was too small to play sports.

(02-10-2019, 11:14 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Talking about the guy's height is only half the problem. Wilson is 215 lbs at 5'11". He's a thick 5'11". Brees is listed at 210 lbs. at 6'0". He's not as thick as Wilson, but he's thick enough to take a hit.

I'm guessing Murray weighs in under 190 lbs at the combine. Under 185 wouldn't shock me. He's very slight, and looks like he might be fudging it when reporting as 5'9". If he plays in the NFL at all he looks like that kind of guy that will run around and make some spectacular plays outside the pocket until the first time he gets hit, then he'll be done, and the run-around guys will get hit. That coupled with his bizarre behavior regarding committing to playing football would make him a late round prospect to me. It's high time for the Jags to stop flushing picks on "maybe" guys.

Haskins is 6'2", almost 6'3"and towers over Murray. But not only towers over him, he's about twice as wide in the shoulders. Murray literally looks like a little boy.
There he is, the one guy who cant make a legit argument so he gets personal lol, u damn clown... i was 6'2 as a sophomore and 6'4 as a senior.... i just know talent went i see it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-13-2019, 07:49 AM)Jords808 Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 09:27 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: You sound like a guy that was too small to play sports.

Haskins is 6'2", almost 6'3"and towers over Murray. But not only towers over him, he's about twice as wide in the shoulders. Murray literally looks like a little boy.
There he is, the one guy who cant make a legit argument so he gets personal lol, u damn clown... i was 6'2 as a sophomore and 6'4 as a senior.... i just know talent went i see it.

Jords808

I am with you on this. You see someone ball and you know they have it. Some have everything on paper but fold when the lights are on and the cameras are rolling. when you are in the moment, ballers are going to ball no matter height, weight, or any stat you want through throw out to prove otherwise.

My only knock on the kid came after the interview. I was never really concerned about the mlb side, even before he declared for draft. But that interview was about weakest thing I've seen an athlete do(i know people feel differently and think it is nothing). It was not a typical bad interview you would see from a young up and coming athlete where they freeze up and don't know what to say or are over cocky. He was cool, calm, and let it be known that he was completely unsure, or at least not willing to go public, about what he  wanted to do moving forward as a professional. I'm sorry that is possibly the most stupid thing an athlete( especially a nfl level qb) can do imo. It was cringe worthy to watch. People can blame DP all they want, but it's his show.

(02-13-2019, 08:30 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 07:49 AM)Jords808 Wrote: There he is, the one guy who cant make a legit argument so he gets personal lol, u damn clown... i was 6'2 as a sophomore and 6'4 as a senior.... i just know talent went i see it.

Jords808

I am with you on this. You see someone ball and you know they have it. Some have everything on paper but fold when the lights are on and the cameras are rolling. when you are in the moment, ballers are going to ball no matter height, weight, or any stat you want through throw out to prove otherwise.

My only knock on the kid came after the interview. I was never really concerned about the mlb side, even before he declared for draft. But that interview was about weakest thing I've seen an athlete do(i know people feel differently and think it is nothing). It was not a typical bad interview you would see from a young up and coming athlete where they freeze up and don't know what to say or are over cocky. He was cool, calm, and let it be known that he was completely unsure, or at least not willing to go public, about what he  wanted to do moving forward as a professional. I'm sorry that is possibly the most stupid thing an athlete( especially a nfl level qb) can do imo. It was cringe worthy to watch. People can blame DP all they want, but it's his show.

Add to this, the kid said he would be committed to MLB if he got drafted in the 1st round....he was then he pulls this I'm 100% committed to football.  Just don't know where his head is at.

(02-13-2019, 08:45 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 08:30 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: Jords808

Add to this, the kid said he would be committed to MLB if he got drafted in the 1st round....he was then he pulls this I'm 100% committed to football.  Just don't know where his head is at.

He is just a kid and he has a chance to play either professional football or professional baseball. Most kids don't have 2 choices, so the decision is easy for them. I guarantee if he was a late round baseball selection or a projected mid to late round football selection the decision would be a lot easier for him.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2019, 11:16 AM by Upper.)

And we know Bortles laps the field in batted passes since he's been drafted. No correlation (and actually perhaps a reverse correlation) with height and batted balls.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1095369774199119872

When that kid measures at 5'8" and 140lbs, you guys still going to be excited?

(01-14-2019, 12:24 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 12:07 PM)JNev Wrote: Jeff Samardzjiza will have earned $127,675,000 after 2020 and he's not even that great. Seems like if you can make it in baseball its the way way better way to go, not even considering the lack of traumatic brain injury concerns

Well Jeff is a pitcher and not a QB. Kyler is a infielder and a QB. As a QB he can make as much, if not more than he can as an infielder.

I know this is moot since he's "committed" to football, but Murray is an outfielder not an infielder, and both IF and OF can make as much as pitchers, especially if they're actually good - Miggy Cabrera (IF), Cano (IF), Trout (OF), Cespedes (OF) are all paid between 25 million - 35 million per year.  Assuming he's able to become a star in either league, he won't make more as a football player than as a baseball player.  Main difference is that as a baseball player he'd have to spend several years in the minors and depending on how he does - may not ever make it to the big leagues.  In fact, as hit or miss as the NFL draft is, baseball's draft is even worse and 1st round picks often don't pan out.  He's smart to try football first with the early guaranteed money that he'll get.  If he doesn't make it he can always fall back on a baseball career.

(02-13-2019, 11:16 AM)Upper Wrote: And we know Bortles laps the field in batted passes since he's been drafted. No correlation (and actually perhaps a reverse correlation) with height and batted balls.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1095369774199119872

Grier with 1, now that's impressive

(02-12-2019, 09:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Murray would be the funnest pick no doubt.  Never had a guy like him here.

I was going to agree with you, but then saw that didn't read 'funniest'.

How many of his highlight reels are from the Bama game? How many against the porous D of the B12?

I'll be happy to eat my words if this kid is successful, but I'd rather any other team take that gamble.

(02-13-2019, 10:01 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 08:45 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: Add to this, the kid said he would be committed to MLB if he got drafted in the 1st round....he was then he pulls this I'm 100% committed to football.  Just don't know where his head is at.

He is just a kid and he has a chance to play either professional football or professional baseball. Most kids don't have 2 choices, so the decision is easy for them. I guarantee if he was a late round baseball selection or a projected mid to late round football selection the decision would be a lot easier for him.
The point is the A's basically threw away the 10th overall pick in the MLB draft because Murray guaranteed he would be 100% committed to baseball if he was a 1st round pick.

Now he says he is fully committed to football....how can you be confident that if things don't go his way in NFL negotiations/playtime/taking too many hits that he doesnt just up and quit and go back to the MLB after a year or less?

(02-13-2019, 02:35 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 10:01 AM)Dimson Wrote: He is just a kid and he has a chance to play either professional football or professional baseball. Most kids don't have 2 choices, so the decision is easy for them. I guarantee if he was a late round baseball selection or a projected mid to late round football selection the decision would be a lot easier for him.
The point is the A's basically threw away the 10th overall pick in the MLB draft because Murray guaranteed he would be 100% committed to baseball if he was a 1st round pick.

Now he says he is fully committed to football....how can you be confident that if things don't go his way in NFL negotiations/playtime/taking too many hits that he doesnt just up and quit and go back to the MLB after a year or less?

I didn't see anything leading up to the baseball draft where he "guaranteed he would be 100% committed to baseball" - in fact he fell down the draft boards of many teams (as well as scouts) due to the possibility of having an NFL option - and that was before his Heisman winning season.  I think this was a case of Oakland (A's) taking a chance on a unique talent.  If it worked out, they're genius's and if not, they basically lost a 1st round pick.  I'm not going to blame Murray for making an informed decision that he feels is best for him, now that he sees where he fits in both baseball and football.  How many of us would turn down a 20 to 30 million dollar contract with a 10 to 20 million dollar signing bonus and the very real chance to start fairly quickly in the NFL in favor of a 4.66 million dollar signing bonus and the chance to ride buses around the backwoods of Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas (assuming he started in Double A, which was no lock - he easily could have started his baseball career in A ball or Rookie league)?

(12-29-2018, 09:44 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Pass. He doesn't even have a big frame like Russell Wilson.  Looks like Doug flutie.

What was wrong with Flutie? He was a good QB.

(02-13-2019, 05:52 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 09:44 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Pass. He doesn't even have a big frame like Russell Wilson.  Looks like Doug flutie.

What was wrong with Flutie? He was a good QB.

He was amazing in the CFL. He was so-so in the NFL.

(02-13-2019, 09:12 PM)roycee Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 05:52 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: What was wrong with Flutie? He was a good QB.

That is because he was past his prime in the NFL. Plus he had that whole Bledsoe controversy to get past.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(02-13-2019, 10:31 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 09:12 PM)roycee Wrote:  
That is because he was past his prime in the NFL. Plus he had that whole Bledsoe controversy to get past.

Still not worth a top 10 pick

(02-13-2019, 02:16 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 09:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Murray would be the funnest pick no doubt.  Never had a guy like him here.

I was going to agree with you, but then saw that didn't read 'funniest'.

How many of his highlight reels are from the Bama game? How many against the porous D of the B12?

I'll be happy to eat my words if this kid is successful, but I'd rather any other team take that gamble.
The Jags already drafted a RB who was shut down against Bama. Why would that matter to them?

It's about how he reads and reacts to the defense. If he can throw the ball, the defense won't matter. It matters in how he determines where to throw the football. You don't have to play against Bama to see that, but it does help.

Just like you didn't need to see LF against Bama to know he can't create on his own.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Personally, I think about rookie QBs in regards to one question: do they have a chance to be elite?

In this draft class I would suggest Haskins is clearly the top option because he has a high ceiling as an accurate pocket passer. He also has a pretty high floor because he has all the tools a QB needs and has shown a high level of play in big games in college, it would be a big surprise to see him be a total bust. Therefore I'd give him a 25% chance of being elite, a 5% chance of being a total bust. That gives him a 70% chance of being a somewhere around average QB in the NFL. For comparisons sake, most starters in the NFL fall into this category, for example Blake would be in there on the low side of average, maybe someone like Cousins in there on the high side of average.

Murray is a lot more difficult to project, and as such must have a much higher bust %. With his height and frame being almost unprecedented in the NFL, and coming from a lower standard of competition in college, let's say Murray has a 30% chance of being a total bust. However, even the people that would never draft him because of his size, most of them would admit that there is at least a chance that he becomes special. He has shown enough in his play that makes your jaw-drop, great athleticism, amazing arm talent, intelligent play. I'd say his chances of becoming elite are the same as Haskins at about 25%. That leaves him with a 45% chance of being about average.

As for the rest of the QBs in the draft, it's really hard to give anyone more than a 5% chance of becoming an elite QB in this league. You have guys like Jones and Lock who might have the intangibles and the physical profile, but for them to become elite requires them to take a massive leap in their talent level over the next few years, which isn't something you can rely on. Jones and Lock both might have a relatively small bust potential, which might make them appealing to some people (especially considering the Jags are the kind of team that just needs steady QB play to have success), but really if you draft them the best you can hope for is for them to develop into an above average NFL QB.

It comes down to risk vs. reward, do you want to protect yourself by drafting a QB who will probably be a reasonable NFL QB is 4 years time, or do you want to go for the guy who could set the league on fire, but equally likely could be out the league entirely in 2 years time? I'm going for that guy, let's be pioneers for a change! (or just trade up and make sure you get Haskins, best of both worlds lol).

Matt Waldman did an hour long video on Murray's 2019 season if anyone is interested. Don't always agree with his takes but his process is always detailed and sound

(02-16-2019, 01:53 PM)JackCity Wrote: Matt Waldman did an hour long video on Murray's 2019 season if anyone is interested. Don't always agree with his takes but his process is always detailed and sound

Can you PM or post it here? I'd like to see it
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q-SMeKz...e=youtu.be

Not sure if anyone watched this, but he said he's up to 200 lbs now at the 3.50 mark.