Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dwayne Haskins (MERGED)

(02-15-2019, 10:06 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 04:25 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I prefer a trade up during the actual draft.  Let's see if he falls to four and then go for it.  Be ready to fight and get the deal done.  Anything before the draft is only setting us up to be jumped by a team already knowing what we want.  Though, they already know what we want.

I don't think anybody here is saying to complete a trade before draft day, unless we're moving to p1. Doing so would be setting yourselves up for disaster.

(02-15-2019, 09:44 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: What an odd QB to choose....

Troy Smith didn't even play under Urban so why did you choose Troy?

Would the post be any less meaningful if the comparison were to Cardale Jones? Is that better?
I mean... No. They're not the same player at all. That's the point.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-15-2019, 12:57 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 12:02 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: There is no way I'd give up this year's 3rd rounder and next year's 1st pick to move up for Haskins. If he were an Andrew Luck (almost surefire success), that would be a no-brainer. After reviewing several draft sites opinions,  he is far from a guaranteed franchise quarterback. Russell Lande has been scouting drafts for longer than most. He was interviewed by Mike Dempsey this past week and he expressed many reservations about Haskins. Although his completion percentage is high, a high percentage of his passes are screen passes or short passes to his gifted receivers. His accuracy falls off dramatically when throwing longer balls. Lande looks at a ton of tape and charts all of this. Does that mean Haskins is not worth a first round pick as Lande stated? If the Jaguar scouts like what they've seen in Haskins and believe he has the potential to become a franchise q.b., they should sit pat and hope he falls to them with the 7th pick. If he doesn't, they may also be high on Drew Lock- who probably has the strongest arm of all quarterbacks in the draft. Lande is far from the only "expert" with reservations about Haskins. His lack of mobility and only one year of starting experience are also legitimate enough concerns which would make trading away "the farm" a bad option. It's fine to "gamble and swing for the fences" as long as you have a strong chance of succeeding.

The Jaguars brass may be planning to pay Foles a ton of money to reunite him with John DeFillipo (sp). Is he worth the $20-$25 million per year he will demand? No, but neither are 99% of the overpaid free agents and at least Foles has a Super Bowl MVP to his credit. Even if he turns out to be just average to slightly above average, he is the one quarterback available next year who gives them the best chance to win "now." If he fails badly, that means the Jaguars will have a high draft pick again next season when the chances of finding a rookie franchise q.b. should be better. Bottom line is the Jaguars need to either go with Haskins or Lock with their 7th pick or sign Foles and then draft a developmental q.b. in rounds 3 or 4.

If you sign the guy to a 5 year deal at $25 million per season, the team is not going to use a high draft pick on a QB for at least 3 years. No team is gonna admit they were wrong that fast. Look how long this team gave Bortles to prove himself. They even extended him. If this team signs Foles, he's the starter for at least 3 years, no matter how bad he does.

I don't believe he will be signing a 5 year deal. I think it will more likely be for 3 years guaranteed money. Naturally, it would set the team back significantly if he flames out the first year, but I disagree with your belief that they wouldn't take a q.b. in the first round next year. What if Fromm or Tua continue to develop next season and look like franchise NFL quarterbacks? I don't see the Jags passing on them, even though it's always difficult to admit making a mistake. If he does poorly, there's no way Caldwell and Marone keep their jobs and the new regime will want to draft their own quarterback. For both of our sakes, I hope Foles succeeds and takes the Jaguars back to the playoffs next season.

(02-15-2019, 12:27 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 12:57 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If you sign the guy to a 5 year deal at $25 million per season, the team is not going to use a high draft pick on a QB for at least 3 years. No team is gonna admit they were wrong that fast. Look how long this team gave Bortles to prove himself. They even extended him. If this team signs Foles, he's the starter for at least 3 years, no matter how bad he does.

I don't believe he will be signing a 5 year deal. I think it will more likely be for 3 years guaranteed money. Naturally, it would set the team back significantly if he flames out the first year, but I disagree with your belief that they wouldn't take a q.b. in the first round next year. What if Fromm or Tua continue to develop next season and look like franchise NFL quarterbacks? I don't see the Jags passing on them, even though it's always difficult to admit making a mistake. If he does poorly, there's no way Caldwell and Marone keep their jobs and the new regime will want to draft their own quarterback. For both of our sakes, I hope Foles succeeds and takes the Jaguars back to the playoffs next season.
Totally agree.

I really want Haskins because I believe he gives the Jags the best chance at consistent success (8-10 years) but if it's Foles, I'll get behind it.

(02-15-2019, 12:55 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 12:27 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I don't believe he will be signing a 5 year deal. I think it will more likely be for 3 years guaranteed money. Naturally, it would set the team back significantly if he flames out the first year, but I disagree with your belief that they wouldn't take a q.b. in the first round next year....
Totally agree.

I really want Haskins because I believe he gives the Jags the best chance at consistent success (8-10 years) but if it's Foles, I'll get behind it.

Dream scenario is the Foles market continues to flame out and Jags get him on a three year deal affordably. (similar to the Bortles extension in dollars) 
Then the giants decide to wait till 2020 to draft a QB and the Jags select Haskins at #7 and sit him until Foles struggles or DH is ready to supplant him.  They could trade Foles in 2020 to clear space for Ngakoue/Ramsey deals.

(02-15-2019, 01:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 12:55 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Totally agree.

Dream scenario is the Foles market continues to flame out and Jags get him on a three year deal affordably. (similar to the Bortles extension in dollars) 
Then the giants decide to wait till 2020 to draft a QB and the Jags select Haskins at #7 and sit him until Foles struggles or DH is ready to supplant him.  They could trade Foles in 2020 to clear space for Ngakoue/Ramsey deals.

Yeah this would be ideal, and it's not completely out of the realm of possibility. A lot of things would have to fall into place, but it's not impossible.

Now that would be a very interesting scenerio. Would the Jags pick Haskins or try to immediately help out Foles (and the offense)? Personally, I'd have a hard time picking between Haskins or
a wide receiver like Metcalf. Since Caldwell doesn't have much time on his side, I believe he would side with Metcalf or the best offensive tackle. Ultimately, it will be Coughlin who makes that decision. Another option would be to trade back slightly to a team which covets Haskins. That way they could still get Metcalf and an additional high pick this year and/or next. I'd take my chances with an offense of:

Foles
Fournette
Metcalf
Westbrook
Lee/Chark
Hockenson/Fant

Speculation like this is what makes this time of year fun.

(02-14-2019, 10:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 07:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: That's the thing though, you don't know  that.  What if he isnt?  It would probably be the end of the Jags franchise by missing on a QB and trading away future 1sts and other high picks.  Thank God you ain't the GM

And if we sign Foles to a 5 year $25 million per year deal and he doesn't work out, that wouldn't be just as bad, if not worse? That would handcuff us even longer. Anything we do is a risk. People rarely hit it big by playing it safe. Sometimes you need to gamble and swing for the fences.

Good grief...  I certainly hope there is an in between in either case.  Both extremes are nauseating.

Lol, you've been worried to death about those Yannick and Ramsey deals.  There is a lot of big contract coming off the books next year man don't worry

(02-15-2019, 02:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 01:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Dream scenario is the Foles market continues to flame out and Jags get him on a three year deal affordably. (similar to the Bortles extension in dollars) 

Lol, you've been worried to death about those Yannick and Ramsey deals.  There is a lot of big contract coming off the books next year man don't worry

Yeah. It's a concern for me. I also wouldn't rule out Ramsey holding out this offseason.  He's already hinted at it. 

Perhaps I'm overly concerned about those deals - but every free agent move this team makes this year will affect what they are able to offer Ramsey, Ngakoue and probably Jack.

(02-15-2019, 02:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 02:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lol, you've been worried to death about those Yannick and Ramsey deals.  There is a lot of big contract coming off the books next year man don't worry

Yeah. It's a concern for me. I also wouldn't rule out Ramsey holding out this offseason.  He's already hinted at it. 

Perhaps I'm overly concerned about those deals - but every free agent move this team makes this year will affect what they are able to offer Ramsey, Ngakoue and probably Jack.
It wouldn't shock me one bit if Ramsey holds out.  Just seems like the type of guy he is.  I think we hit Ramsey with the franchise tag though

(02-15-2019, 02:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 02:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lol, you've been worried to death about those Yannick and Ramsey deals.  There is a lot of big contract coming off the books next year man don't worry

Which is just another example of why going with the low priced Vet/rookie QB makes the most sense. Every extra $10-15m per year spent on Foles is that much less that can be spent on Ramsey/Ngakoue/Jack/other free agents.

If Ramsey holds out, you're hurting the entire team and pissing him off. A little childish to hold out, but I'd understand why. You have to keep your best player happy.

The longer you wait to pay Ramsey, the more it's going to cost. Re-sign him this year and lock up Ngakoue next year. As well as Jack next year hopefully.

Going with the Rookie QB, you have him cheap for at least 4 years and can re-sign your guys no problem.

Of course you could try and flip it and say pay Ngakoue first, since you hold the 5th year option on Ramsey, but that could all but guarantee a hold out.

(02-15-2019, 07:35 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 02:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah. It's a concern for me. I also wouldn't rule out Ramsey holding out this offseason.  He's already hinted at it. 

Which is just another example of why going with the low priced Vet/rookie QB makes the most sense. Every extra $10-15m per year spent on Foles is that much less that can be spent on Ramsey/Ngakoue/Jack/other free agents.

If Ramsey holds out, you're hurting the entire team and pissing him off. A little childish to hold out, but I'd understand why. You have to keep your best player happy.

The longer you wait to pay Ramsey, the more it's going to cost. Re-sign him this year and lock up Ngakoue next year. As well as Jack next year hopefully.

Going with the Rookie QB, you have him cheap for at least 4 years and can re-sign your guys no problem.

Of course you could try and flip it and say pay Ngakoue first, since you hold the 5th year option on Ramsey, but that could all but guarantee a hold out.

I've long advocated the draft and develop approach. The only way I'd consider Foles is if his market dwindles to the point the Jags could have him at a bargain basement price. It seems there may be a chance that happens. I'd not have guessed that may happen prior to the Flacco to Denver transaction.

(02-16-2019, 11:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 07:35 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Which is just another example of why going with the low priced Vet/rookie QB makes the most sense. Every extra $10-15m per year spent on Foles is that much less that can be spent on Ramsey/Ngakoue/Jack/other free agents.

I've long advocated the draft and develop approach. The only way I'd consider Foles is if his market dwindles to the point the Jags could have him at a bargain basement price. It seems there may be a chance that happens. I'd not have guessed that may happen prior to the Flacco to Denver transaction.

Agreed. Drafting a QB is always the way to go, but if Foles can be had on the cheap and takes a 2-3 year deal, I'd be fine with signing him. I just don't see that happening though.

Cheap being the keyword
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2019, 09:54 AM by Brett.)

Just curious, does the history of the lack of success from most Ohio State QB's in the NFL scare anyone with Dwayne Haskins? I've heard people mention that. I'm actually asking a real question, not being a smart aleck.

I've looked up the past names: Cardale Jones, Terrelle Pryor, Troy Smith, Craig Krenzel, Steve Bellisari

(02-19-2019, 09:50 AM)Brett Wrote: Just curious, does the history of the lack of success from most Ohio State QB's in the NFL scare anyone with Dwayne Haskins? I've heard people mention that. I'm actually asking a real question, not being a smart aleck.

I've looked up the past names: Cardale Jones, Terrelle Pryor, Troy Smith, Craig Krenzel, Steve Bellisari

Nope. Texas Tech never turned out a good NFL QB either, until Patrick Mahomes. You have to judge a QB based on abilities. Not the school they attended.

(02-19-2019, 09:50 AM)Brett Wrote: Just curious, does the history of the lack of success from most Ohio State QB's in the NFL scare anyone with Dwayne Haskins? I've heard people mention that. I'm actually asking a real question, not being a smart aleck.

It only scares people who aren’t smart enough to judge a QB solely based on their skills and not their school.

Also... can we get the name or names of schools that regularly produce elite QBs?

Nah not at all. Think about it, what impact does Troy Smith have on Haskins as a prospect? Absolutely nothing , each prospect should be looked at on their own terms. 

Now sometimes you can use context clues from certain schools/coaches/systems but that's about it i.e Mike Leach QBs put up tons of stats but often are lacking NFL traits, so when you go to watch Garden Minschew for instance you'd keep a look out on how he's actually getting the production

(02-19-2019, 11:20 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Nope. Texas Tech never turned out a good NFL QB either, until Patrick Mahomes. You have to judge a QB based on abilities. Not the school they attended.
Let's not forget about all the Jeff Tedford failures as well. He is a QB guru and all the QB's he sent to the NFL were busts up until Aaron Rogers.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Thanks guys, that makes sense. Again, I wasn't being sarcastic when I made that reply, just was curious on your thoughts. I know it can be hard to read a person's writing online so wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't coming across wrong Smile