Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nick Foles

I think the more you accept Foles is an average QB with high peaks and troughs the better you are able to understand him. His playoff run was an anomaly in 2017, same as Flaccos was before him. It's okay to notice a rich vein of form as being independent from who a player is regularly.

Now can you win with a QB like Foles? Absolutely. And is his big game play something you take into consideration? Sure, it's fair to say playing under pressure is a good trait of his and I doubt there's any kind of occasion that will faze him now.

The issue is projecting his 2017 as what hes expected to be.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-28-2019, 03:33 AM)JackCity Wrote: I think the more you accept Foles is an average QB with high peaks and troughs the better you are able to understand him. His playoff run was an anomaly in 2017, same as Flaccos was before him. It's okay to notice a rich vein of form as being independent from who a player is regularly.  

Now can you win with a QB like Foles? Absolutely. And is his big game play something you take into consideration? Sure, it's fair to say playing under pressure is a good trait of his and I doubt there's any kind of occasion that will faze him now.  

His run on 2017 wasn’t necessarily an anomaly. He just had a good run in 2018. If a WR holds onto a pass he’s in the NFC championship again.

(02-28-2019, 08:54 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 03:33 AM)JackCity Wrote: I think the more you accept Foles is an average QB with high peaks and troughs the better you are able to understand him. His playoff run was an anomaly in 2017, same as Flaccos was before him. It's okay to notice a rich vein of form as being independent from who a player is regularly.  

His run on 2017 wasn’t necessarily an anomaly. He just had a good run in 2018. If a WR holds onto a pass he’s in the NFC championship again.

He threw 9 picks in 7 games in 2018. 

We can do the "If" game all day..if a field goal kick isn't blocked he's out in his first game, if a call is missed vs Atlanta last year none of the run even happens. (not that I think thats a good way to debate)

(02-28-2019, 08:54 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:

You can't just automatically assume that he's taking them into the end zone.  Jeffery was on the 21 yard line.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-28-2019, 12:59 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 12:56 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Where did you get those numbers?

I would say his best numbers were 27 TDs and 2 INTs, and his playoff runs the past two years.

Those are his exact numbers from his two playoff games this past season..

The guy I was replying to said Foles plays his best football in the post season.

I mean in the divisional round thr game sealing pick went through alshon jeffreys hands as Foles was driving for thr go ahead score. He catches that ball ... and the eagles go back to the NFCCG. While not as pretty as 2017s playoff numbers, Foles played better than the stats indicated and yes his best football is played in the postseason. Hes a top 15 qb in thr league imho.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2019, 12:06 PM by JackCity.)

(02-28-2019, 11:59 AM)Firesky Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 12:59 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Those are his exact numbers from his two playoff games this past season..

The guy I was replying to said Foles plays his best football in the post season.

I mean in the divisional round thr game sealing pick went through alshon jeffreys hands as Foles was driving for thr go ahead score. He catches that ball ... and the eagles go back to the NFCCG. While not as pretty as 2017s playoff numbers, Foles played better than the stats indicated and yes his best football is played in the postseason. Hes a top 15 qb in thr league imho.

and if the kick isn't blocked he's out in his first game. If games don't mean much.

The only truly great game foles had this year was against the Texans when their passing defense fell apart

(02-28-2019, 11:59 AM)Firesky Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 12:59 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Those are his exact numbers from his two playoff games this past season..

I love the way you just want to award him the touchdown even though the interception occurred on the 20 yard line.

Side note: Foles has some BIG [BLEEP] HANDS. Second biggest hands in the league behind Dak Prescott.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/7z...omparison/

Inch and a quarter bigger than Blakes.....

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(02-28-2019, 03:31 PM)NCJag Wrote: Side note: Foles has some BIG [BLEEP] HANDS.  Second biggest hands in the league behind Dak Prescott.

Dak Prescott should be your first indicator that hand size is almost totally meaningless.

(02-28-2019, 03:31 PM)NCJag Wrote: Side note: Foles has some BIG [BLEEP] HANDS.  Second biggest hands in the league behind Dak Prescott.

It's not the hand size that matters

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2019, 06:06 PM by SamusAranX.)

(02-28-2019, 10:10 AM)Rico Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 08:54 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: His run on 2017 wasn’t necessarily an anomaly. He just had a good run in 2018. If a WR holds onto a pass he’s in the NFC championship again.

You can't just automatically assume that he's taking them into the end zone.  Jeffery was on the 21 yard line.

I reserve the right for a bit of hyperbole, but your point is fair enough. 

My point was he seems to have an extra gear   in the postseason. With our defense and some help at TE and WR, a healthy run game, etc we don’t need to him to be elite in the regular season. Just decent, and better than Bortles (admittedly not hard to do)

And for the record, while I want foles, we still should draft a QB in rounds 1-3. It shouldn’t neglected regardless. Even the Pats spent high picks on QB with Brady under center

(02-28-2019, 03:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Thats what she said.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

He's much better than his regular season stats represent.  He threw more picks than usual down the home stretch this year but close to half weren't really all his fault.  But he will own them all and he doesn't make excuses. Foles has improved dramatically over the last few seasons.  It's unfortunate that most will look at his reg season stats and assume he's an avergage to above averge QB....but I assure you he is much better...among the best in the current NFL.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2019, 07:51 AM by RicoTx.)

(03-02-2019, 06:33 AM)Ace Nova Wrote:

He's much better than his regular season stats represent.  He threw more picks than usual down the home stretch this year but close to half weren't really all his fault.  But he will own them all and he doesn't make excuses. Foles has improved dramatically over the last few seasons.  It's unfortunate that most will look at his reg season stats and assume he's an avergage to above averge QB....but I assure you he is much better...among the best in the current NFL.

If he's 'among the best in the current NFL' why are the Eagles letting him go?  Where were the teams clamoring to trade for him?  If he's 'among the best in the current NFL', you aren't going to wait for him to hit the open market.

Trade Wentz then.

Yeah he's an average qb with very high variance. He's not an elite QB

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2019, 02:49 PM by SeldomRite.)

Let's have a thought experiment, let's say Jack is correctly allowed to run back the fumble for a TD against the pats, and the Jags go on to win the Superbowl with Bortles having another good game in it. Are teams clamoring to sign Bortles right now if he were a free agent? Why?

(02-28-2019, 03:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

What matters is the motion of the rotation.
'02

(03-02-2019, 02:49 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Let's have a thought experiment, let's say Jack is correctly allowed to run back the fumble for a TD against the pats, and the Jags go on to win the Superbowl with Bortles having another good game in it. Are teams clamoring to sign Bortles right now if he were a free agent? Why?

One more postseason game from bortles doesn’t make the wealth of bad tape on him just disappear. 

He’d be largely evaluated the same way. Very marginal difference IMO. 

The trap of over weighing his 2017 postseason performance is exactly what got Cough-well into the mess they are in currently at the QB position.

(03-02-2019, 02:38 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 06:33 AM)Ace Nova Wrote: He's much better than his regular season stats represent.  He threw more picks than usual down the home stretch this year but close to half weren't really all his fault.  But he will own them all and he doesn't make excuses. Foles has improved dramatically over the last few seasons.  It's unfortunate that most will look at his reg season stats and assume he's an avergage to above averge QB....but I assure you he is much better...among the best in the current NFL.

Yeah he's an average qb with very high variance. He's not an elite QB

I've always like Foles. I'd say "decent" or "above average," but totally agree he's not elite. That said, he's easily and by far the best available, and at $20+ mil, he's the only guy out there actually worth it.

Ideally, we'd end up with...

1. Foles
2. Bortles
3. Lock

I'm thinking Lock even over Haskins because if we have both Foles and Bortles, we shouldn't need the rookie this season. If you have time to develop Lock's footwork so he can actually scramble, buy time, and use proper leg mechanics when throwing, Lock is going to be darn good. As good as Haskins is, I think his long-distance accuracy is always going limit him giving him a lower ceiling down the road even though I prefer Haskins as a guy this season if he had to play. 
'02