Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nick Foles

(03-02-2019, 02:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 02:49 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Let's have a thought experiment, let's say Jack is correctly allowed to run back the fumble for a TD against the pats, and the Jags go on to win the Superbowl with Bortles having another good game in it. Are teams clamoring to sign Bortles right now if he were a free agent? Why?

One more postseason game from bortles doesn’t make the wealth of bad tape on him just disappear. 

He’d be largely evaluated the same way. Very marginal difference IMO. 

The trap of over weighing his 2017 postseason performance is exactly what got Cough-well into the mess they are in currently at the QB position.

Right, which is what some people seem to want to do with foles. Bortles had stretches of great play in 2017, just like foles did.

I just hope the jaguars aren't going to double down on the same thing they did with Bortles. It's very rare to find healthy franchise QBs in free agency. They should be focused on the draft, not on paying big money to the next Case Keenum

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-02-2019, 03:09 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 02:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: One more postseason game from bortles doesn’t make the wealth of bad tape on him just disappear. 

He’d be largely evaluated the same way. Very marginal difference IMO. 

The trap of over weighing his 2017 postseason performance is exactly what got Cough-well into the mess they are in currently at the QB position.

Right, which is what some people seem to want to do with foles. Bortles had stretches of great play in 2017, just like foles did.

I just hope the jaguars aren't going to double down on the same thing they did with Bortles. It's very rare to find healthy franchise QBs in free agency. They should be focused on the draft, not on paying big money to the next Case Keenum

Sure, but Foles is a very clear upgrade to Bortles. 

The question is:
Is he enough of an upgrade to justify the cost and cap impact. 

I’d prefer Haskins even if they have to trade up a bit to get him, but I think they could do well with Foles.

(03-02-2019, 03:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 03:09 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Right, which is what some people seem to want to do with foles. Bortles had stretches of great play in 2017, just like foles did.

Sure, but Foles is a very clear upgrade to Bortles. 

The question is:

I’d prefer Haskins even if they have to trade up a bit to get him, but I think they could do well with Foles.

Again...why not both?

(03-02-2019, 05:35 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 03:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Sure, but Foles is a very clear upgrade to Bortles. 

The question is:

Again...why not both?

Why pay Foles $17m+ to sit on the bench?

(03-02-2019, 05:35 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 03:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Sure, but Foles is a very clear upgrade to Bortles. 

The question is:

Again...why not both?
It’s been discussed in other threads and this one. 

It’s just a very doubtful proposition. 

I’m not opposed to it - in fact I called it a “dream scenario” a while back, but I don’t see it happening. Haskins will be ready to start pretty quickly and Foles won’t come cheap. Too much capital to spend on the position.

(03-02-2019, 03:01 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 02:38 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yeah he's an average qb with very high variance. He's not an elite QB

I've always like Foles. I'd say "decent" or "above average," but totally agree he's not elite. That said, he's easily and by far the best available, and at $20+ mil, he's the only guy out there actually worth it.

Ideally, we'd end up with...

1. Foles
2. Bortles
3. Lock

I'm thinking Lock even over Haskins because if we have both Foles and Bortles, we shouldn't need the rookie this season. If you have time to develop Lock's footwork so he can actually scramble, buy time, and use proper leg mechanics when throwing, Lock is going to be darn good. As good as Haskins is, I think his long-distance accuracy is always going limit him giving him a lower ceiling down the road even though I prefer Haskins as a guy this season if he had to play. 

Jags cannot afford both Foles and Bortles on the roster this year. $21 million if on roster. $16 million if cut pre June 1st. $10-11 if post June 1st cut.

Only way they can even really afford Foles is by cutting Bortles and designating him as a post June 1st cut.

If the Jags go the Foles route, the back up will be a rookie or a retread along the lines of Kessler last year. Yes, that is playing with fire hoping Foles stays healthy, but Jags don't have alternatives.

(03-02-2019, 08:05 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 03:01 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I've always like Foles. I'd say "decent" or "above average," but totally agree he's not elite. That said, he's easily and by far the best available, and at $20+ mil, he's the only guy out there actually worth it.

Ideally, we'd end up with...

1. Foles
2. Bortles
3. Lock

I'm thinking Lock even over Haskins because if we have both Foles and Bortles, we shouldn't need the rookie this season. If you have time to develop Lock's footwork so he can actually scramble, buy time, and use proper leg mechanics when throwing, Lock is going to be darn good. As good as Haskins is, I think his long-distance accuracy is always going limit him giving him a lower ceiling down the road even though I prefer Haskins as a guy this season if he had to play. 

Jags cannot afford both Foles and Bortles on the roster this year. $21 million if on roster. $16 million if cut pre June 1st. $10-11 if post June 1st cut.

Only way they can even really afford Foles is by cutting Bortles and designating him as a post June 1st cut.

If the Jags go the Foles route, the back up will be a rookie or a retread along the lines of Kessler last year. Yes, that is playing with fire hoping Foles stays healthy, but Jags don't have alternatives.

Bortles also has 6.5 mil offset in his contract, meaning we'd be saving anywhere from 9.5 (if no one were to sign him) and 16 mil if he receives a contract that covers the entire offset.  If the team were to sign Foles, cutting Bortles with the post June 1st designation would pay for the majority of his contract most likely.

(03-02-2019, 05:57 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 05:35 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Again...why not both?

Why pay Foles $17m+ to sit on the bench?

I never ever said that so I’m not sure why you would. 

Foles would start to give a rookie time to develop. We’d still have a better QB under center than Bortles, while the rookie has time to develop his craft

There's too much smoke for it now to happen now.

Let's just hope it's at most 18 million a year or so 2+1. Also we should still draft Haskins but I know they absolutely won't.

(03-02-2019, 07:50 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 06:33 AM)Ace Nova Wrote: He's much better than his regular season stats represent.  He threw more picks than usual down the home stretch this year but close to half weren't really all his fault.  But he will own them all and he doesn't make excuses. Foles has improved dramatically over the last few seasons.  It's unfortunate that most will look at his reg season stats and assume he's an avergage to above averge QB....but I assure you he is much better...among the best in the current NFL.

If he's 'among the best in the current NFL' why are the Eagles letting him go?  Where were the teams clamoring to trade for him?  If he's 'among the best in the current NFL', you aren't going to wait for him to hit the open market.

The Eagles really never had much leverage.  Just about every team in the NFL knew they couldn't keep him at the 25 mil per season tag number.  That being the case, the Eagles would have had to pull the tag anyway in order to free up cap space for the free agency period.  So tagging Foles was never a serious option for the Eagles.

(03-03-2019, 05:07 PM)Ace Nova Wrote:
(03-02-2019, 07:50 AM)Rico Wrote: If he's 'among the best in the current NFL' why are the Eagles letting him go?  Where were the teams clamoring to trade for him?  If he's 'among the best in the current NFL', you aren't going to wait for him to hit the open market.

The Eagles really never had much leverage.  Just about every team in the NFL knew they couldn't keep him at the 25 mil per season tag number.  That being the case, the Eagles would have had to pull the tag anyway in order to free up cap space for the free agency period.  So tagging Foles was never a serious option for the Eagles.

That and the Broncos trade killed all their trade leverage.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-02-2019, 07:50 AM)Rico Wrote: If he's 'among the best in the current NFL' why are the Eagles letting him go?  Where were the teams clamoring to trade for him?  If he's 'among the best in the current NFL', you aren't going to wait for him to hit the open market.

You're seriously delusional if you think that a team that had 'one of the best in today's NFL' wouldn't find a way to hold onto him.

You're seriously delusional anyway if you think that he is 'one of the best in today's NFL'.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Exactly

(03-04-2019, 12:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 05:07 PM)Ace Nova Wrote: The Eagles really never had much leverage.  Just about every team in the NFL knew they couldn't keep him at the 25 mil per season tag number.  That being the case, the Eagles would have had to pull the tag anyway in order to free up cap space for the free agency period.  So tagging Foles was never a serious option for the Eagles.

Exactly

Refer to the post above.  If he was one of the best in the NFL, they would have found a way to keep him.  

Of course...he really isn't one of the best in the NFL.  So, there's that.

(03-04-2019, 01:38 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 12:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Exactly

Refer to the post above.  If he was one of the best in the NFL, they would have found a way to keep him.  

We get it that you don't like him...but who would you like to trot out there if Haskins/Murray go before Jacksonvill can get either?

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 01:53 PM by jvillejagsn1.)

I still think we should go after Haskins, even with Foles. Foles is only a 2-3 year starter for us. Having Haskins gives us a safety blanket if Foles isn't it. And if Foles blows it up and is what our franchise needs, we have trade asset in Haskins. I understand we have other needs on offense too, but I think we need to heavily weigh the qb need. It's always what holds our team back. Everytime! We have to hit on a qb!
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(03-04-2019, 08:17 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 05:07 PM)Ace Nova Wrote: The Eagles really never had much leverage.  Just about every team in the NFL knew they couldn't keep him at the 25 mil per season tag number.  That being the case, the Eagles would have had to pull the tag anyway in order to free up cap space for the free agency period.  So tagging Foles was never a serious option for the Eagles.

You're seriously delusional if you think that a team that had 'one of the best in today's NFL' wouldn't find a way to hold onto him.

You're seriously delusional anyway if you think that he is 'one of the best in today's NFL'.

Carson Wentz has been penciled in as the franchise QB since he's been drafted.  If the Eagles did not have Wentz, I assure you we wouldn't be having this conversation right now...Foles would be the starter in Philadelphia.  There's no way the Eagles can keep them both.  Plus, Foles has stated he wants to start and he would not have been the starter going into the 2019 season....so hence, he's a free agent.  It's really not that complicated.   Big Grin

(03-04-2019, 01:53 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: I still think we should go after Haskins, even with Foles. Foles is only a 2-3 year starter for us. Having Haskins gives us a safety blanket if Foles isn't it. And if Foles blows it up and is what our franchise needs, we have trade asset in Haskins. I understand we have other needs on offense too, but I think we need to heavily weigh the qb need. It's always what holds our team back. Everytime! We have to hit on a qb!

I think a lot of people are on board with this idea...

Could also see them grab Lock in the 1st or Grier later on to groom them.

I view this as an insurance signing...get a guaranteed competent QB in case Haskins doesn't fall...if he does great.

The contract he gets will answer a lot of questions tho...2 year deal = insurance and aiming for Draft QB.

Gotta wonder if the Jags have said they are amenable to bringing ASJ back and reports of being linked to Jesse James.....are they looking at D.K. Metcalf at 7? Having a lineup of Foles at QB, D.K./Westbrook/Chark at WR, ASJ/James at TE with Fournette in the backfield......its got the beginnings of a functional offense. With Cam/Norwell/Linder/?/Richardson(?) as the front 5......it could possibly be a pretty exciting offense next year. ASSUMING.....we don't go down to street FA at tackle again...

Then again, they could shock up as go QB/Line/Defense at 7. Who knows?

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 02:09 PM by RicoTx.)

(03-04-2019, 01:42 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 01:38 PM)Rico Wrote: Refer to the post above.  If he was one of the best in the NFL, they would have found a way to keep him.  

We get it that you don't like him...but who would you like to trot out there if Haskins/Murray go before Jacksonvill can get either?

You move up and get them.  You can't move up and get them if you've already blown a lot on Foles.  You can't go for a short-term fix on an average quarterback.

As I said, all I can do is root for the team.  But I don't expect this to end well.  I guess we'll all find out.

I don't like the move.  And I seriously can't see how anyone thinks he is one of the best in the NFL.

(03-04-2019, 01:55 PM)Ace Nova Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 08:17 AM)Rico Wrote: You're seriously delusional if you think that a team that had 'one of the best in today's NFL' wouldn't find a way to hold onto him.

Carson Wentz has been penciled in as the franchise QB since he's been drafted.  If the Eagles did not have Wentz, I assure you we wouldn't be having this conversation right now...Foles would be the starter in Philadelphia.  There's no way the Eagles can keep them both.  Plus, Foles has stated he wants to start and he would not have been the starter going into the 2019 season....so hence, he's a free agent.  It's really not that complicated.   Big Grin

You're right.  It's not that complicated.  If you think he's one of the best in the NFL, you're going to keep him.  Just because you have someone 'penciled in as the franchise QB' you don't get rid of someone who is one of the best in the NFL.  If you do, you're not going to be around for long.