Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nick Foles

(03-04-2019, 02:06 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 01:42 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: We get it that you don't like him...but who would you like to trot out there if Haskins/Murray go before Jacksonvill can get either?

You move up and get them.  You can't move up and get them if you've already blown a lot on Foles.  You can't go for a short-term fix on an average quarterback.

As I said, all I can do is root for the team.  But I don't expect this to end well.  I guess we'll all find out.

I don't like the move.  And I seriously can't see how anyone thinks he is one of the best in the NFL.
So are you going all the way to #1? And what is your price for Haskins cause that's the only guarantee you get him.

Call me dumb but I'd rather trot out Foles with a 1st/2nd/3rd/3rd round pick this year than Haskins a 3rd rounder and no 1st round pick next year.

If Haskins falls to #7 and they draft him this will all be moot point anyways.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-04-2019, 02:06 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 01:42 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: We get it that you don't like him...but who would you like to trot out there if Haskins/Murray go before Jacksonvill can get either?

You move up and get them.  You can't move up and get them if you've already blown a lot on Foles.  You can't go for a short-term fix on an average quarterback.

As I said, all I can do is root for the team.  But I don't expect this to end well.  I guess we'll all find out.

I don't like the move.  And I seriously can't see how anyone thinks he is one of the best in the NFL.

(03-04-2019, 01:55 PM)Ace Nova Wrote: Carson Wentz has been penciled in as the franchise QB since he's been drafted.  If the Eagles did not have Wentz, I assure you we wouldn't be having this conversation right now...Foles would be the starter in Philadelphia.  There's no way the Eagles can keep them both.  Plus, Foles has stated he wants to start and he would not have been the starter going into the 2019 season....so hence, he's a free agent.  It's really not that complicated.   Big Grin

You're right.  It's not that complicated.  If you think he's one of the best in the NFL, you're going to keep him.  Just because you have someone 'penciled in as the franchise QB' you don't get rid of someone who is one of the best in the NFL.  If you do, you're not going to be around for long.

I think the Eagles value Foles as a top 15 QB in the NFL.  They have Wentz probably valued higher...(Probably top 10)..and Wentz is younger.  That still doesn't mean Foles isn't at least a top 15 QB...which he should be just about anywhere he lands.  

I'd like to see Foles have continued success wherever he goes.  Could his naysayers be right?  They could be...but I doubt it.  He's shown enough improvement over the past several seasons in Philadelphia to warrant a starting position in the NFL, imo.

I'm sure DeFilippo has some say so in who want to get at QB. Shouldnt we want the guy who the offensive coordinator wants. He has seen and coached Foles to a SB MVP. He must have a lot of confidence I'm Foles and I want who he feels will be the best for the job. He knows what he can get out of Foles

(03-04-2019, 02:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm sure DeFilippo has some say so in who want to get at QB.  Shouldnt we want the guy who the offensive coordinator wants.  He has seen and coached Foles to a SB MVP.  He must have a lot of confidence I'm Foles and I want who he feels will be the best for the job.  He knows what he can get out of Foles

This is probably the primary reason Foles could end up in Jacksonville, imo.  DeFelippo & Foles work very well together...should be a very good fit, imo.

(03-04-2019, 02:22 PM)Ace Nova Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 02:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm sure DeFilippo has some say so in who want to get at QB.  Shouldnt we want the guy who the offensive coordinator wants.  He has seen and coached Foles to a SB MVP.  He must have a lot of confidence I'm Foles and I want who he feels will be the best for the job.  He knows what he can get out of Foles

This is probably the primary reason Foles could end up in Jacksonville, imo.  DeFelippo & Foles work very well together...should be a very good fit, imo.
If it ain't broke dont fix it.  Instead of going after the unknown

(03-04-2019, 02:28 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 02:22 PM)Ace Nova Wrote: This is probably the primary reason Foles could end up in Jacksonville, imo.  DeFelippo & Foles work very well together...should be a very good fit, imo.
If it ain't broke dont fix it.  Instead of going after the unknown

Exactly.

Ready for the change, let's do this!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good! (I've said that before)

People who want to spend major draft capital shooting for the moon with a rookie, who has a very large chance of busting, instead of going for the sure thing - a QB who is at least competent, and sometimes really great (Nick Foles) - are gambling with very high stakes.

This team is ready to win now if we fix the offense, and that starts with getting a competent QB and spending our draft capital on players to support him. NOT blowing all our draft capital on a risky rookie and then not having that first round draft pick to use for an offensive lineman, or TE, or WR.

Going for Foles is a much better move.

(03-04-2019, 02:51 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good!  (I've said that before)

People who want to spend major draft capital shooting for the moon with a rookie, who has a very large chance of busting, instead of going for the sure thing - a QB who is at least competent, and sometimes really great (Nick Foles) - are gambling with very high stakes.  

This team is ready to win now if we fix the offense, and that starts with getting a competent QB and spending our draft capital on players to support him.  NOT blowing all our draft capital on a risky rookie and then not having that first round draft pick to use for an offensive lineman, or TE, or WR.  

Is it really that risky though? How many QBs in the league are starting via FA? The vast majority were drafted by their teams. You know Foles is average but with that attitude, you’ll never have a true franchise QB. Chiefs traded up and are now set. Same with the Texans and Jets.

(03-04-2019, 03:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 02:51 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good!  (I've said that before)

This team is ready to win now if we fix the offense, and that starts with getting a competent QB and spending our draft capital on players to support him.  NOT blowing all our draft capital on a risky rookie and then not having that first round draft pick to use for an offensive lineman, or TE, or WR.  

Is it really that risky though? How many QBs in the league are starting via FA? The vast majority were drafted by their teams. You know Foles is average but with that attitude, you’ll never have a true franchise QB. Chiefs traded up and are now set. Same with the Texans and Jets.

Here's the records of FA QBs signing multi-year deals since 2000 and it isn't good. 1 year deals weren't included.

[Image: Capture.jpg]

(03-04-2019, 03:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 03:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Is it really that risky though? How many QBs in the league are starting via FA? The vast majority were drafted by their teams. You know Foles is average but with that attitude, you’ll never have a true franchise QB. Chiefs traded up and are now set. Same with the Texans and Jets.

Here's the records of FA QBs signing multi-year deals since 2000 and it isn't good. 1 year deals weren't included.

Osweiler at $18million a year.  LOL.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-04-2019, 03:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Is it really that risky though? How many QBs in the league are starting via FA? The vast majority were drafted by their teams. You know Foles is average but with that attitude, you’ll never have a true franchise QB. Chiefs traded up and are now set. Same with the Texans and Jets.

I hope the Football Gods favor us, because that list.... Man, that's a doozy of epic failures. The only one that seemed fair or about right is the 3yr, 3.5M deal Tyrod Taylor had with the Bills. That was a low risk, high reward type of deal. At least he made it to the play-off's with them. Manning was the only other signing that amounted to something. Granted, it was an ugly [BLEEP] SB victory but a victory nonetheless over the Panthers. That Seahawks SB game though? OUCH. 

[Image: kRrkfUU.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Cautiously optimistic. I would have to see the details of the contract before anything. End of the day I hope this wouldn’t deter them from drafting a QB #7 or even trading up. We are talking about the same FO that gave Blake an atrocious 3 year deal, so.... definitely have to wait to see on this one.

(03-04-2019, 04:11 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 03:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Here's the records of FA QBs signing multi-year deals since 2000 and it isn't good. 1 year deals weren't included.

I hope the Football Gods favor us, because that list.... Man, that's a doozy of epic failures. The only one that seemed fair or about right is the 3yr, 3.5M deal Tyrod Taylor had with the Bills. That was a low risk, high reward type of deal. At least he made it to the play-off's with them. Manning was the only other signing that amounted to something. Granted, it was an ugly [BLEEP] SB victory but a victory nonetheless over the Panthers. That Seahawks SB game though? OUCH. 

[Image: kRrkfUU.gif]

Yeah, but it's our safest bet.  Suuuuuuure.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-04-2019, 04:15 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Cautiously optimistic. I would have to see the details of the contract before anything. End of the day I hope this wouldn’t deter them from drafting a QB #7 or even trading up. We are talking about the same FO that gave Blake an atrocious 3 year deal, so.... definitely have to wait to see on this one.

Yeah but then you end up in a potentially awkward situation like the Bears were in. They signed Glennon, drafted Trubisky and it ultimately ended up being two big investments at one position where you only need one starter...

They should avoid this signing. Just ride this [BLEEP] out with Bortles and Kessler. Opt for a cheaper signing like Bridgewater, Taylor or Fitzpatrick and if they flop in 2019? Not that much of a harm or foul. Now we'll be looking at Justin Herbert, Jake Fromm or Jacon Eason instead. 

The problem with signing Foles to a deal AND drafting a QB with the 7th overall pick is just a nightmare. The fans will lose their [BLEEP] the moment Foles [BLEEP] up a game you'll have to play the rookie ASAP. We've seen this scenario before with Garrard and Henne. It's a fool's errand. 

And, again. The biggest thing people keep looking over is the fact that he's coming to Jacksonville. Have you seen the talent on offense here? Fournette is supposed to be our focal point but the offensive lineman can barely move the opposition forward to allow him to do his job effectively. Westbrook is probably the best option we have at WR but he can only do so much. Cole fell off the face of the Earth. Chark so far seems like a bust of an early 2nd RD selection and Lee is coming back from an ACL and he's ALWAYS had an injury bug problem. 

Nobody at TE at the moment. And we still have questions concerning Fournette's rotational back-up(s). Because he's another guy where you have to hold your breath from time to time and hope he gets up not limping or holding something that he tore up. Foles would have the weight of the world on his shoulders here and he simply won't have the tools to pull it off. 

It's not a safe bet at all.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 07:37 AM by The Real Marty.)

I see two guys on that list who won Super Bowls with their new teams.  

Here are some recent first round picks at the QB position.  I guarantee you, for every one of those guys, someone was pounding the keys on his computer freaking out that his team might not draft the guy.  

Blaine Gabbert
Ryan Tannehill
Blake Bortles
Jake Locker
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Brandon Weeden
Christian Ponder
Paxton Lynch
Tim Tebow
Mason Rudolph
EJ Manuel

Nick Foles is a known quantity.   He is a Super Bowl MVP.   Granted, he needs a good cast of teammates around him, but doesn't every QB need that?  If we sign him, Nick Foles might be the best QB this team has ever had.  

For years, we've been clamoring for competent QB play.  This team is built to win now.  Get Foles, get some players around him, and we are contenders now.   Or, draft a rookie, hope he doesn't bust, wait a year or two for him to develop, and watch the roster grow old.  

Jared Goff was the #1 pick in the draft, and what did he do in the Super Bowl?  3 points.  One FG.  Foles won the Super Bowl and was the MVP.  Sign Foles, use our draft capital to build the offense around him, and win now.   That's the correct formula.

(03-05-2019, 07:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 03:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Here's the records of FA QBs signing multi-year deals since 2000 and it isn't good. 1 year deals weren't included.

I see two guys on that list who won Super Bowls with their new teams.  

Here are some recent first round picks at the QB position.  I guarantee you, for every one of those guys, someone was pounding the keys on his computer freaking out that his team might not draft the guy.  

Blaine Gabbert
Ryan Tannehill
Blake Bortles
Jake Locker
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Brandon Weeden
Christian Ponder
Paxton Lynch
Tim Tebow
Mason Rudolph
EJ Manuel

Nick Foles is a known quantity.   He is a Super Bowl MVP.   Granted, he needs a good cast of teammates around him, but doesn't every QB need that?  If we sign him, Nick Foles might be the best QB this team has ever had.  

For years, we've been clamoring for competent QB play.  This team is built to win now.  Get Foles, get some players around him, and we are contenders now.   Or, draft a rookie, hope he doesn't bust, wait a year or two for him to develop, and watch the roster grow old.  

Jared Goff was the #1 pick in the draft, and what did he do in the Super Bowl?  3 points.  One FG.  Foles won the Super Bowl and was the MVP.  Sign Foles, use our draft capital to build the offense around him, and win now.   That's the correct formula.

Got em

(03-05-2019, 07:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 07:32 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I see two guys on that list who won Super Bowls with their new teams.  

Blaine Gabbert
Ryan Tannehill
Blake Bortles
Jake Locker
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Brandon Weeden
Christian Ponder
Paxton Lynch
Tim Tebow
Mason Rudolph
EJ Manuel

Got em
Did he? Also, Rudolph wasn’t a 1st rounder.

But what do almost all of those QBs have in common? They were late 1st round QBs. I’m not advocating for jumping back in the end of the 1st but instead, trade up for just Haskins.

(03-05-2019, 09:19 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 07:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Got em
Did he? Also, Rudolph wasn’t a 1st rounder.

But what do almost all of those QBs have in common? They were late 1st round QBs. I’m not advocating for jumping back in the end of the 1st but instead, trade up for just Haskins.

So, basically, you're saying we should use our 7th overall pick, plus other high picks, to trade up and draft a rookie QB, who would then have the same supporting cast as last year, because we would have traded away the draft picks we could have used to improve our offense.  

I say, we should sign Foles, and use our draft picks to improve the supporting cast around him.   

I think my plan is much better.

(03-05-2019, 09:57 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 09:19 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Did he? Also, Rudolph wasn’t a 1st rounder.

So, basically, you're saying we should use our 7th overall pick, plus other high picks, to trade up and draft a rookie QB, who would then have the same supporting cast as last year, because we would have traded away the draft picks we could have used to improve our offense.  

I say, we should sign Foles, and use our draft picks to improve the supporting cast around him.   

I think my plan is much better.

No. You don't have to trade all those picks in one year. You can trade future picks. This is just a for instance, it's not necessarily the actual deal we would make, but I'm just using this as an example. We could trade our first and one of our 3rd's this season, our first and 3rd next season and a 2nd in 2021, if that's what it takes. That still gives us a franchise QB this year, a premier OG or TE in round 2, the same options with our remaining 3rd round pick in round 3 and a WR in round 4. Plus, we may trade Malik Jackson and add another 4th or 5th round pick as well. We could've traded up, gotten our franchise QB and still have added key pieces around him.