Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ESPN Ticker - Jaguars Expected to Sign Foles

(03-04-2019, 11:22 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 10:15 AM)Nikowho Wrote: I mean, it's not like we haven't been hearing this talk for how many weeks now? Not surprising.

Agree -- but it's all over the media today so there must have been some type of release to one of the media outlets to have everyone breaking the story or piggybacking off other stories.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-jack...54292.html

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26130...-next-week

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_...o-te-wr-ol

(03-04-2019, 09:59 AM)Rico Wrote: I don't want a competent QB.  I want a starter for years to come, and the only way you're going to get that is by drafting him.

Exactly, we need to draft someone like Gabbert or Bortles.  That worked pretty well.

And signing FA's like Kirk Cousins and Case Keenum worked out great for the Vikings and Broncos. Touche'. Some of you guys are ridiculous. Just because you whiff on drafting a QB, doesn't mean you stick your head in the sand and avoid ever doing it again. Look how many times the Browns did it and failed. Did they give up? No, they stuck with it and now they have Mayfield and we still have nothing. You guys give up way too easily.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-04-2019, 09:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 09:30 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: There are a lot of extremely talented college players who will be available at pick #7 without having to take another huge gamble on a rookie QB.   That's why I like the Foles signing so much.   If it happens.

I don't see any offensive player other than Haskins, being worthy of the #7 pick. I'm hoping we can trade down into the #11 to #15 spot and add the best OG/OT in the draft, Cody Ford. He'd fit perfectly at RG.

You get me. I would hurt myself attempting to do a backflip if things play out this way.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 01:21 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(03-04-2019, 09:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 09:30 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: There are a lot of extremely talented college players who will be available at pick #7 without having to take another huge gamble on a rookie QB.   That's why I like the Foles signing so much.   If it happens.

I don't see any offensive player other than Haskins, being worthy of the #7 pick. I'm hoping we can trade down into the #11 to #15 spot and add the best OG/OT in the draft, Cody Ford. He'd fit perfectly at RG.

OK, Haskins is not around at #7 and we trade down to get a RG.  Who is our QB next season?
How do you convince our Club Seat Season Ticket Holders (and other STHs) that we really improved by getting a RG and perhaps a QB in round 2 (versus the alternative of bringing in Foles and perhaps trading down for an elite TE, WR or your RG)

(03-04-2019, 12:44 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 11:22 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Agree -- but it's all over the media today so there must have been some type of release to one of the media outlets to have everyone breaking the story or piggybacking off other stories.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-jack...54292.html

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26130...-next-week

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_...o-te-wr-ol

Exactly, we need to draft someone like Gabbert or Bortles.  That worked pretty well.

And signing FA's like Kirk Cousins and Case Keenum worked out great for the Vikings and Broncos. Touche'. Some of you guys are ridiculous. Just because you whiff on drafting a QB, doesn't mean you stick your head in the sand and avoid ever doing it again. Look how many times the Browns did it and failed. Did they give up? No, they stuck with it and now they have Mayfield and we still have nothing. You guys give up way too easily.

If the Jags had the #1 pick (like the Browns) I would get your point....BUT....they don't.

What happens if they have a trade in place for Haskins @3 but someone jumps ahead and snags him then what would YOU do as the GM?

Why do we have to keep moving this to the league. The articles are about the jaguars. It's annoying

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 01:32 PM by RicoTx.)

(03-04-2019, 12:40 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 12:06 PM)Rico Wrote: Yes, we should never draft a QB again and just keep grabbing other team's castoffs because it hasn't worked out before.

If I recall correctly, the Jags never signed a Free Agent to be our Starting QB

Brunell - aquired via trade
Leftwich - drafted
Garrard - drafted
Gabbert - drafted
Bortles - drafted

To me, aquiring Foles is almost like having 2 top 10 picks in the draft since we can now target Hockenson or a top OL or WR.

Yes, lets only look at the Jaguars and not look at the entire NFL.  The best teams draft their own QBs.

(03-04-2019, 01:12 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 09:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't see any offensive player other than Haskins, being worthy of the #7 pick. I'm hoping we can trade down into the #11 to #15 spot and add the best OG/OT in the draft, Cody Ford. He'd fit perfectly at RG.

OK, Haskins is not around at #7 and we trade down to get a RG.  Who is our QB next season?
How do you convince our Club Seat Season Ticket Holders (and other STHs) that we really improved by getting a RG and perhaps a QB in round 2 (versus the alternative of bringing in Foles and perhaps trading down for an elite TE, WR or your RG)

Well gee, I'm a club seat season ticket holder and I think it was the wrong move.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

In Before the Foles is trash we need a new QB post start!!!!

(03-04-2019, 01:37 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: In Before the Foles is trash we need a new QB post start!!!!
At least you didn’t post something about Blake.

BLAKE IS GONE.

(03-04-2019, 12:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 11:54 AM)JackCity Wrote: He thinks Foles is gonna be a top 10 QB here so you won't get through to him..he wanted to give him 25 million a year if we had to.

I do, we just have to get him some help through the draft and get the running game back on track.

(03-04-2019, 11:59 AM)Dimson Wrote: The thing is, who else would Foles realistically sign with other than the Jags? We are his only real option to be a starter next year.

Wash, NY, Mia.  I do think there was a mutual agreement with Fokes though saying they wouldnt tag him if he went out of the division

Wash has Smith and they aren't signing Foles unless Smith retires for the injury. Just too much money invested in him. NY is stuck on Manning and he isn't going anywhere next year. I have talked to many Giant fans and they have told me their front office is refusing to give up on Manning. Miami is probably our only real competition but we have a better over all roster and we are built to win now. That and I am not sure they are ready to move on from Tannehill. Nothing is official as far as I know of at this point.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 03:34 PM by Eric1.)

(03-04-2019, 09:32 AM)JackCity Wrote: Nick Foles career numbers on 3rd and long :

154/266
57%
2 TDs
9 picks
65 passer rating
5.18 AY/A

Gross.  Sick

I can't wait to see him continue to be garbage on 3rd and long in this stone age Offense, because he's going to see a whole lot of 3rd and 6+ here.  Sick

As far as tampering goes, this is what the Chiefs got hit with in 2015 when they got busted for tampering when they signed Maclin..

Quote:Kansas City will forfeit its third-round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft and its sixth-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft and pay a fine of $250,000. In addition, Head Coach Andy Reid has been fined $75,000 and General Manager John Dorsey has been fined $25,000.

I see us getting hit a lot harder than that if we sign Foles.

(03-04-2019, 02:50 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 01:37 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: In Before the Foles is trash we need a new QB post start!!!!
At least you didn’t post something about Blake.

BLAKE IS GONE.

BLake Is Better Then Foles!!!

There happy Tongue

If we are in a position to draft Trevor Lawrence in 2 years, my time as a season ticket holder will be over.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

I'm not comfortable starting a rookie QB next year. You don't know how long this defense will be around . Do you want to waste it on a guy who's trying to adjust to the NFL? I'm certainly not against drafting a QB in the first round--if it's Haskins--but I'd still start Foles and let Haskins sit and learn---similar to what the Chiefs did with Mahomes last year.

(03-04-2019, 03:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 09:32 AM)JackCity Wrote: Nick Foles career numbers on 3rd and long :

154/266
57%
2 TDs
9 picks
65 passer rating
5.18 AY/A

Gross.  Sick

I can't wait to see him continue to be garbage on 3rd and long in this stone age Offense, because he's going to see a whole lot of 3rd and 6+ here.  Sick

As far as tampering goes, this is what the Chiefs got hit with in 2015 when they got busted for tampering when they signed Maclin..

Quote:Kansas City will forfeit its third-round pick in the 2016 NFL Draft and its sixth-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft and pay a fine of $250,000.  In addition, Head Coach Andy Reid has been fined $75,000 and General Manager John Dorsey has been fined $25,000.  

The "stone age offense" or "outdated" offensive philosophy is pretty much crap.  This year's Super Bowl was all about defense and the running game.  If you have a strong defense, good running game and at the very least adequate passing offense you will win.  The "explosive" high-scoring teams didn't even survive the playoffs (with the exception of the Rams).  How did that work out in the final game?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-04-2019, 01:29 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 12:44 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: And signing FA's like Kirk Cousins and Case Keenum worked out great for the Vikings and Broncos. Touche'. Some of you guys are ridiculous. Just because you whiff on drafting a QB, doesn't mean you stick your head in the sand and avoid ever doing it again. Look how many times the Browns did it and failed. Did they give up? No, they stuck with it and now they have Mayfield and we still have nothing. You guys give up way too easily.

If the Jags had the #1 pick (like the Browns) I would get your point....BUT....they don't.

What happens if they have a trade in place for Haskins @3 but someone jumps ahead and snags him then what would YOU do as the GM?

I'm not sure I understand this scenario. Are you proposing that the front office skips FA, goes into the darft with "Haskins or bust" mentality, but doesn't move to #1?

If your entire darft is based on a single player, and only that player, you don't hesitate paying the extra to move from 3 to 1 and avoid the disaster scenario.

If you skip FA, and are relying on drafting a QB or QBs of the future, you don't hang your hat on just one guy. If someone gets the jump on you, you move on to the next option.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 06:04 PM by BlueEyedJag.)

(03-04-2019, 05:44 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 01:29 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: If the Jags had the #1 pick (like the Browns) I would get your point....BUT....they don't.

I'm not sure I understand this scenario. Are you proposing that the front office skips FA, goes into the darft with "Haskins or bust" mentality, but doesn't move to #1?

If your entire darft is based on a single player, and only that player,  you don't hesitate paying the extra to move from 3 to 1 and avoid the disaster scenario.

If you skip FA, and are relying on drafting a QB or QBs of the future, you don't hang your hat on just one guy. If someone gets the jump on you, you move on to the next option.

He was saying just because we missed on the QBs we drafted doesn't mean we should stop...he then used the Browns as an example who have had top 1-2 picks to use on these QBs.  I dont think the Browns have had to trade up in order to draft any of these QBs.

There is a huge difference between using a 1st round pick every other year to draft a QB and trading up and giving a ton of draft capital for a guy every other year.

My point is that this draft shouldn't be about only one player because the Offense has too many holes...trading what it would take for pick #1 would destroy this draft and next years and with minimal cap space how are you going to support Haskins?

The contract Foles gets will tell us what Jacksonville's plan is....are they going the Foles and Bust or are they going Foles as bridge and taking whoever falls to 7?

If this was Trevor Lawrence then yea go for broke with draft picks in a trade but Haskins doesn't seem worth it.

(03-04-2019, 02:56 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 12:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I do, we just have to get him some help through the draft and get the running game back on track.

Wash, NY, Mia.  I do think there was a mutual agreement with Fokes though saying they wouldnt tag him if he went out of the division

Wash has Smith and they aren't signing Foles unless Smith retires for the injury. Just too much money invested in him. NY is stuck on Manning and he isn't going anywhere next year. I have talked to many Giant fans and they have told me their front office is refusing to give up on Manning. Miami is probably our only real competition but we have a better over all roster and we are built to win now. That and I am not sure they are ready to move on from Tannehill. Nothing is official as far as I know of at this point.

The Redskins are on the books for the full amount of guaranteed money Smith is due under the contract amount that is guaranteed for injury. I don't think he is going to gift them 10's of millions of dollars by outright retiring.

(03-04-2019, 06:07 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 02:56 PM)Dimson Wrote: Wash has Smith and they aren't signing Foles unless Smith retires for the injury. Just too much money invested in him. NY is stuck on Manning and he isn't going anywhere next year. I have talked to many Giant fans and they have told me their front office is refusing to give up on Manning. Miami is probably our only real competition but we have a better over all roster and we are built to win now. That and I am not sure they are ready to move on from Tannehill. Nothing is official as far as I know of at this point.

The Redskins are on the books for the full amount of guaranteed money Smith is due under the contract amount that is guaranteed for injury. I don't think he is going to gift them 10's of millions of dollars by outright retiring.

Also doubt he plays in any kind of capacity either this year so they are SoL as far as QB cap.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 06:16 PM by JackCity.)

(03-04-2019, 05:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 03:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Gross.  Sick

The "stone age offense" or "outdated" offensive philosophy is pretty much crap.  This year's Super Bowl was all about defense and the running game.  If you have a strong defense, good running game and at the very least adequate passing offense you will win.  The "explosive" high-scoring teams didn't even survive the playoffs (with the exception of the Rams).  How did that work out in the final game?

The final 4 teams of the NFL season this year were the 4 best offenses so your point isn't actually true there.

Now I do agree that the way to win NFL games isn't just playing like Texas Tech. A lot of the stats people who think the run game is totally useless fail to see that the game isn't played on a spreadsheet. Like Belichick says, you want to be unpredictable as possible and be able to change playstyles by the quarter if needs be, and yes defense is still very important in the post season of course

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 06:20 PM by Sammy.)

Belichick is the best NFL HC at scheming to beat good Quarterbacks ... especially young ones like Goff.  He couldn't find a way to even slow Foles down. That is the one part that amazes me about Foles. Or at least the Eagles.  I'm not going to look it up, but when has a Belichick coached team given up that many points in a game? Or how many times has his defense over the years given up that level of offensive production?

(03-04-2019, 06:10 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 06:07 PM)Sammy Wrote: The Redskins are on the books for the full amount of guaranteed money Smith is due under the contract amount that is guaranteed for injury. I don't think he is going to gift them 10's of millions of dollars by outright retiring.

Also doubt he plays in any kind of capacity either this year so they are SoL as far as QB cap.

I would be shocked if Theismann Smith ever played again. I agree with you, Washington is screwed.  I do think Rosen would be a great move for them, and makes the most sense.