Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Telvin Smith Taking the Year Off in 2019

Dude was paid to play football. He should play or retire. Period. If he retires and there is any available through contractual agreement the Jags should attempt to recoup any possible monies that they can. Other than that who cares? Just another odd case of someone walking away from millions. He has already been replaced.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-13-2019, 02:20 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Dude was paid to play football. He should play or retire. Period. If he retires and  there is any available through contractual agreement the Jags should attempt to recoup any possible monies that they can. Other than that who cares? Just another odd case of someone walking away from millions. He has already been replaced.

Most people are taking the noble approach of saying that there is more to life than football and wishing him the best. As much as i would like to genuinely feel that sentiment, I do not. I am on your side about this. I honestly will not lose a wink of sleep over this guy if he never plays another down for this team as long as his position is filled. You got payed millions to play a game. I would happily remind people who feel like he does of that If you want to simplify things into cliche statements like "there is more to life than football". You filled a roll that someone else would have been happy and grateful to fill only to walk away from it because you cant get your personal [BLEEP] in order. [BLEEP] off with that [BLEEP].

I used to get mad at this sort of thing. After watching the Run Ricky Run 30 for 30 I've changed my mind a bit. If the man needs to focus on his health and well being then more power to him. This game at this level takes a lot out of people that we as fans do not always understand. Some of the best running Ricky Williams did was when he came back from his years off.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(05-13-2019, 08:22 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 02:20 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Dude was paid to play football. He should play or retire. Period. If he retires and  there is any available through contractual agreement the Jags should attempt to recoup any possible monies that they can. Other than that who cares? Just another odd case of someone walking away from millions. He has already been replaced.

Most people are taking the noble approach of saying that there is more to life than football and wishing him the best. As much as i would like to genuinely feel that sentiment, I do not. I am on your side about this. I honestly will not lose a wink of sleep over this guy if he never plays another down for this team as long as his position is filled. You got payed millions to play a game. I would happily remind people who feel like he does of that If you want to simplify things into cliche statements like "there is more to life than football". You filled a roll that someone else would have been happy and grateful to fill only to walk away from it because you cant get your personal [BLEEP] in order. [BLEEP] off with that [BLEEP].

yeah who gives a damn about empathy

(05-13-2019, 09:04 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 08:22 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: Most people are taking the noble approach of saying that there is more to life than football and wishing him the best. As much as i would like to genuinely feel that sentiment, I do not. I am on your side about this. I honestly will not lose a wink of sleep over this guy if he never plays another down for this team as long as his position is filled. You got payed millions to play a game. I would happily remind people who feel like he does of that If you want to simplify things into cliche statements like "there is more to life than football". You filled a roll that someone else would have been happy and grateful to fill only to walk away from it because you cant get your personal [BLEEP] in order. [BLEEP] off with that [BLEEP].

yeah who gives a damn about empathy

cool story.

(05-13-2019, 09:06 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 09:04 PM)JackCity Wrote: yeah who gives a damn about empathy

cool story.

at least you admitted which was the noble side of things i guess

There's nothing good about losing a good player. That said, I really think Myles Jack is a better WLB than Telvin Smith, so if we can find someone to play MLB, we should be okay.

In spite of the huge number of tackles he has made, Telvin is just too light for run support at 218. I don't know many linebackers who are that light. Word is that Telvin also freelanced a lot last year.

Telvin is a good player, but he has his flaws, and I think we can be okay without him. But of course I hope he's okay, etc etc.

People that try to correlate this to a 9 to 5 job are completely clueless.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-13-2019, 01:50 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: My source is telling me Telvin is done with football.

Is your source by chance Snowy's dad? 
'02

(05-13-2019, 01:50 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: My source is telling me Telvin is done with football.

My source is telling me that Telvin was done with football when he decided it was a good idea to weigh as much as a wide receiver.

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2019, 08:16 AM by fredalwaysajag.)

(05-12-2019, 11:24 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-12-2019, 10:25 AM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: You got 4 good seasons out of a 5th round pick.  You got no good seasons out of a guy you traded up to take 5th overall......

So far Telvin has well out-produced expectations as a 5th round pick. He certainly earned his current big contract, but his drop-off this past season combined with a year off of football may translate to him having to accept a pay cut should he return in 2020. 

Oh, now this I agree with.  He got dragged a bit to much for my liking last year.  Just looked too light in the rump for his position, but I suppose that is what allows other attributes of his athleticism to thrive.  Comparing this to the Blackmon situation, however, is way off base, imo.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

(05-14-2019, 06:59 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

You got it !!

(05-14-2019, 06:59 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

That's gold, '02. +1
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Hopefully the organization can get some compensation for this. He just got a long-term deal. I think the team itself will be fine without him for the season. The player on the field took a noticeable step back last season. Still a solid starter but not anything irreplaceable. I hope someone can step up.
No pain, no gain.

(05-14-2019, 12:06 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Hopefully the organization can get some compensation for this. He just got a long-term deal. I think the team itself will be fine without him for the season. The player on the field took a noticeable step back last season. Still a solid starter but not anything irreplaceable. I hope someone can step up.

I think we'll be alright depending on what they decide to do with Myles Jack and Jake Ryan. Ryan really doesn't have the speed to play on the outside from what I have read about him. But he's a good run defender and knows how to read and react accordingly. Could be a better fit with Myles playing at the Sam or Will spot in 2019 for the time being. 

Whoever plays opposite of Jack will ultimately be a work in progress. May end up being a steady rotation between Allen, Williams and Jacobs until one of them emerges as the full time starter. That's my best guess. But I do like the idea of moving Jack back outside to either spot and letting Ryan man the middle in 2019. 

If all goes according to plan? Great. If not? Jack back to Mike and they figure out BOTH outside positions. Paddy Fisher for 2020 though!
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-13-2019, 08:22 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:

Wow. Spoken like a true loser. Bravo.

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2019, 01:15 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(05-14-2019, 01:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 08:22 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: Most people are taking the noble approach of saying that there is more to life than football and wishing him the best. As much as i would like to genuinely feel that sentiment, I do not. I am on your side about this. I honestly will not lose a wink of sleep over this guy if he never plays another down for this team as long as his position is filled. You got payed millions to play a game. I would happily remind people who feel like he does of that If you want to simplify things into cliche statements like "there is more to life than football". You filled a roll that someone else would have been happy and grateful to fill only to walk away from it because you cant get your personal [BLEEP] in order. [BLEEP] off with that [BLEEP].
Wow. Spoken like a true loser. Bravo.

So you wouldnt take millions of dollars a year to play a season in the NFL.  You at least get your signing bonus guaranteed.  I'll take 9 million and play until injury stops me from ever playing again.  I mean, maybe this is why ppl complain about Sports salaries because i think ANYone who likes said sport will step on that field asap for millions of dollars a year.  One season with a brain for non sports money making and you're set.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(05-14-2019, 01:14 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 01:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wow. Spoken like a true loser. Bravo.

So you wouldnt take millions of dollars a year to play a season in the NFL.  You at least get your signing bonus guaranteed.  I'll take 9 million and play until injury stops me from ever playing again.  I mean, maybe this is why ppl complain about Sports salaries because i think ANYone who likes said sport will step on that field asap for millions of dollars a year.  One season with a brain for non sports money making and you're set.
You're completely missing the point.

I never said I wouldn't trade places with the guy because we all know playing a sport for a job is pretty sweet. However this is about empathy for someone. You're trying to treat this guy like he's not a human being. Do athletes suffer from depression? Have they committed suicide even though they have millions and millions of dollars? Have they had their families broken up through divorce? Of course they have and there's a human side to this that people are neglecting. I don't know what I would do in Telvins situation BECAUSE NO ONE KNOWS WHAT'S GOING ON. 

And you think if you played one season of football you would be set? hahaha look up the average practice squad players salary. The majority of these guys break their bodies for 3 seasons, making 100 or 200K (before taxes) and then they sit pretty up in their mansions? No.

I am never going to complain about professional sports salaries because they are doing something only a small percentage of humans can do. Sometimes they should be paid even more. Do you know how much the NFL makes? How about how much college basketball and football make? Do you think they're getting a fair share of the profits?

Condemning this man by saying "What a loser. I would play football for that kind of money no matter what was going on in my life" is just wrong. No one knows the facts of this situation but sure are quick to make judgements.

(05-14-2019, 12:06 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Hopefully the organization can get some compensation for this. He just got a long-term deal. I think the team itself will be fine without him for the season. The player on the field took a noticeable step back last season. Still a solid starter but not anything irreplaceable. I hope someone can step up.

I'm assuming that if he's not receiving a game check, the team, at a minimum, retains that cap hit for his salary.  They can also go after a portion of the guaranteed money he has received.   The team will get some cap relief from this as long as he doesn't change his mind and decide to play.
(05-14-2019, 01:14 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 01:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wow. Spoken like a true loser. Bravo.

Any idea how many snaps into the first padded practice that would be? Wink Banana
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2019, 02:11 PM by JagsorDie.)

(05-14-2019, 01:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 01:14 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: So you wouldnt take millions of dollars a year to play a season in the NFL.  You at least get your signing bonus guaranteed.  I'll take 9 million and play until injury stops me from ever playing again.  I mean, maybe this is why ppl complain about Sports salaries because i think ANYone who likes said sport will step on that field asap for millions of dollars a year.  One season with a brain for non sports money making and you're set.
You're completely missing the point.

I never said I wouldn't trade places with the guy because we all know playing a sport for a job is pretty sweet. However this is about empathy for someone. You're trying to treat this guy like he's not a human being. Do athletes suffer from depression? Have they committed suicide even though they have millions and millions of dollars? Have they had their families broken up through divorce? Of course they have and there's a human side to this that people are neglecting. I don't know what I would do in Telvins situation BECAUSE NO ONE KNOWS WHAT'S GOING ON. 

And you think if you played one season of football you would be set? hahaha look up the average practice squad players salary. The majority of these guys break their bodies for 3 seasons, making 100 or 200K (before taxes) and then they sit pretty up in their mansions? No.

I am never going to complain about professional sports salaries because they are doing something only a small percentage of humans can do. Sometimes they should be paid even more. Do you know how much the NFL makes? How about how much college basketball and football make? Do you think they're getting a fair share of the profits?

Condemning this man by saying "What a loser. I would play football for that kind of money no matter what was going on in my life" is just wrong. No one knows the facts of this situation but sure are quick to make judgements.
I understand this but like i said in the beginning, i do not empathize with this. Does that make me worse than the people who play the holier than thou approach of siding with him and offering a widdle shoulder to cry on? Probably. But i'm not going to lie and say i could put my self his shoes because i cannot. There are too many variables involved so with  know what a person in his position is feeling but from an outsider looking in with what i know, that is my opinion. No need to get butt hurt and call people names unless that's what makes you feel better in which case i hope you feel better. And i didn't call him a loser, i said get your [BLEEP] together, slight difference.

Also i think that it is worth mentioning that i am saying coming from the perspective of a fan of the team he just quit on. If i was the guys friend, maybe i would have a different approach, but i am not. so im not going to act like i actually give a [BLEEP] about things in his personal life when i know the sentiment isn't reciprocated.