Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Like button

Wait, are y’all saying the report button has been removed? Cuz it was only the like button that was removed.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-03-2019, 07:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 10:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: You could say the disappearance of the feature is one of those "this is why we can't have nice things" situations. 

Repeated misuse of the feature which lead to repeated misuse of the "report" feature eventually led to the demise of the button and the reputation numbers. 

It wasn't one situation, but several similar instances since the move to our new board. 

With apologies to those who enjoyed the feature, we had to make a move to streamline moderation efforts by removing the steady stream of reports and complaints from those involved in personal squabbles leading to misuse of the feature.

Personal squabbles?!?  Misuse?!?

Though you understandably may not be inclined to do so, could you elaborate or explain how this would happen?

Did it happen on some boards more than others (like the political forum)?

I would think if you had dissonance with a posters logic or grasp of facts, it would manifest in the relevant thread.
  • the report function is still alive and well (referencing your other post)
  • Yes. Personal squabbles led to misuse of both features, but the report feature remains and those abusing it receive warnings. 
  • Unfortunately there were enough members issuing multiple reports to mods about someone constantly downvoting their posts that the feature was becoming troublesome to moderation efficiency. Reports and their consequences are handled after a consensus is agreed upon in most cases. This takes time  - and if the queue is jammed up because a couple of knuckleheads are having a "downvote contest" while the board is busy with something like the NFL draft, then mods (in my opinion) are wasting their time on something so petty. 

Most unfortunate-if a bit predictable-these problems originated in the political forum.

I have strong opinions on football and politics.

I don't want my football discussions/debates with you guys/gals to somehow be tainted by political disagreements, which is why I have rarely ventured over to the political forum. There are plenty of other political boards/forums for me to contribute my two cents.

It's why I hate when political biases seep onto the football boards.

I understand the need for efficient administration/moderation of the boards. You guys have a thankless job, and on the whole, you have done a commendable job over the years.

On the other hand, if your attitude is that we are all adults, why not sanction the offending few posters who abuse the features? You banned TMD for abusing posting privileges. Here, you seem to have banned the features being abused, rather than those who have abused the features. Granted, misuse of the reputation/report feature may not have violated CoC, but I would think amending the CoC to define the proper use of the features, what constitutes misuse of the feature, and the sanctions for misuse wouldn't seem overly burdensome. To be clear, removing the feature will not elicit a tantrum from me and is not the difference between me participating or not on the board. Just think the feature is kinda neat.

****Note-from my own perspective, I have never had a problem with either of the posters referenced up to page 4 of the "Reputations thread," even with the political differences I may or may not have with them. I have always enjoyed discussing/debating football with them over the years, and the above should not be viewed as express and particular advocacy of banning them. I was speaking more in general terms.****

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I'm beginning to "Like" this thread.

You all see what I did their?
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(06-03-2019, 08:30 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Most unfortunate-if a bit predictable-these problems originated in the political forum.

I have strong opinions on football and politics.  

I don't want my football discussions/debates with you guys/gals to somehow be tainted by political disagreements, which is why I have rarely ventured over to the political forum.  There are plenty of other political boards/forums for me to contribute my two cents.

I understand the need for efficient administration/moderation of the boards.  You guys have a thankless job, and on the whole, you have done a commendable job over the years.

On the other hand, if your attitude is that we are all adults, why not sanction the offending few posters who abuse the features?  You banned TMD for abusing posting privileges.  Here, you seem to have banned the features being abused, rather than those who have abused the features.  Granted, misuse of the reputation/report feature may not have violated CoC, but I would think amending the CoC to define the proper use of the features, what constitutes misuse of the feature, and the sanctions for misuse wouldn't seem overly burdensome.  To be clear, removing the feature will not elicit a tantrum from me and is not the difference between me participating or not on the board.  Just think the feature is kinda neat.

****Note-from my own perspective, I have never had a problem with either of the posters referenced up to page 4 of the "Reputations thread," even with the political differences I may or may not have with them.  I have always enjoyed discussing/debating football with them over the years, and the above should not be viewed as express and particular advocacy of banning them.  I was speaking more in general terms.****

Unfortunately, that is not my attitude concerning this reputation voting issue. 
My attitude it is that there will continually be a new set of posters who abuse the feature by downvoting every single post from someone who has angered them. This usually results in warnable offenses by the other party.  It would result in an unusually high volume of warnings and bans IMO. 

I realize it isn't necessarily fair to those who enjoyed the feature and didn't use it to express animosity.  Removing it seemed the best solution to me (and enough of the other mods) that this is where we've arrived.

(06-03-2019, 08:41 PM)Jagwired Wrote: I'm beginning to "Like" this thread.

You all see what I did their?

The pun or the misspelling? 

Tongue

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2019, 08:55 PM by TJBender.)

(06-03-2019, 08:30 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't want my football discussions/debates with you guys/gals to somehow be tainted by political disagreements, which is why I have rarely ventured over to the political forum.  There are plenty of other political boards/forums for me to contribute my two cents.

Dude, StroudCrowd1 and I agree about virtually nothing. flsprtsgod and I agree about most things, but the things we disagree on are big red lines in the sand. The disagreements we have in there have never once spilled outside of the political forum. We get along fine outside of the political forum, and that goes for more than just the three of us. I haven't exactly been looking for it, but I haven't seen anyone drag a political forum fight out into the rest of the board, aside from maybe the occasional stupid "rep wars" that came up when someone, not always the same person, whined about being negged in the political forum then had posts outside of that forum hit.

Do we argue? Hell yes. Do we occasionally call each other names? Of course, but we move on very quickly. The bulk of that forum does not hold grudges. The political forum only gets messy when someone is as abrasive as 40-grit sandpaper decides that the best way to respond to a post is by attacking everyone mentioned in it, or when someone is challenged and they decide to throw a fit rather than take it on the chin. That forum is a wonderful, unique part of this website. When it's occupied by a bunch of adults, it's a good place to see some other viewpoints and shout repeatedly and loudly at a wall hoping yours will click with someone. When someone's decided to turn the place into a bunch of monkeys [BLEEP] a football, well, it's where you go to see a bunch of monkeys [BLEEP] a football. Give it a couple hours, the monkeys will have tired themselves out, and the adults can come back out to talk. For as much crap as it gets, the political forum is one of the best things about this place. I'd suggest that more people visit it but, well, have you seen the kind of stuff that happens on the Jaguars board? Lots of monkeys...

(06-03-2019, 08:54 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 08:30 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't want my football discussions/debates with you guys/gals to somehow be tainted by political disagreements, which is why I have rarely ventured over to the political forum.  There are plenty of other political boards/forums for me to contribute my two cents.

Dude, StroudCrowd1 and I agree about virtually nothing. flsprtsgod and I agree about most things, but the things we disagree on are big red lines in the sand. The disagreements we have in there have never once spilled outside of the political forum. We get along fine outside of the political forum, and that goes for more than just the three of us. I haven't exactly been looking for it, but I haven't seen anyone drag a political forum fight out into the rest of the board, aside from maybe the occasional stupid "rep wars" that came up when someone, not always the same person, whined about being negged in the political forum then had posts outside of that forum hit.

Do we argue? Hell yes. Do we occasionally call each other names? Of course, but we move on very quickly. The bulk of that forum does not hold grudges. The political forum only gets messy when someone is as abrasive as 40-grit sandpaper decides that the best way to respond to a post is by attacking everyone mentioned in it, or when someone is challenged and they decide to throw a fit rather than take it on the chin. That forum is a wonderful, unique part of this website. When it's occupied by a bunch of adults, it's a good place to see some other viewpoints and shout repeatedly and loudly at a wall hoping yours will click with someone. When someone's decided to turn the place into a bunch of monkeys [BLEEP] a football, well, it's where you go to see a bunch of monkeys [BLEEP] a football. Give it a couple hours, the monkeys will have tired themselves out, and the adults can come back out to talk. For as much crap as it gets, the political forum is one of the best things about this place. I'd suggest that more people visit it but, well, have you seen the kind of stuff that happens on the Jaguars board? Lots of monkeys...

<like>

(06-03-2019, 08:54 PM)TJBender Wrote:

I'm glad your football posting experiences have not been tainted by the political discussions you have had on the politics forum.

Sadly, I cannot make the same claim.  Since I joined in 2002, I have had a few experiences where my experiences on the football board changed because of political debates that have seeped onto the football boards.  In fact, while I have lauded the mods generally, the dynamics to which I refer represent the one "negative" view of mods in action I've had over the years.  I didn't even venture onto the political board until the last 3 or so years.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Can we at least have a “You Suck” button?

(06-04-2019, 06:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Can we at least have a “You Suck” button?

+1
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2019, 08:42 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

Sounds like a majority oppose the like button going away. Maybe to avoid hurt feelings you can keep just a "like" option and eliminate the dislike option?

If you go into the MyBB forum settings, I think the option is called "Prevent hurting the feelings of millennials living in their parents basement". Just check that checkbox and click "Save"

(06-04-2019, 06:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Can we at least have a “You Suck” button?

I'd prefer a "[BLEEP] Off" one.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2019, 09:38 AM by mikesez.)

Back on the reputation thread, one poster repeatedly made fun of another for "reporting" in retaliation for "downvoting."
Specifically he said "let the trolls troll, dude."
That same poster then reported me for downvoting him.
We were all detached and nonchalant about the downvoting until someone downvoted us.

(06-04-2019, 08:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

I'd prefer a "[BLEEP] Off" one.

We have that.  It's called "ignore."
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-04-2019, 08:42 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Sounds like a majority oppose the like button going away. Maybe to avoid hurt feelings you can keep just a "like" option and eliminate the dislike option?

If you go into the MyBB forum settings, I think the option is called "Prevent hurting the feelings of millennials living in their parents basement". Just check that checkbox and click "Save"

I don't think it would hurt anything to bring back the "like" button and eliminate the "dislike," but I also agree with the mods that this is basically what Instagram and Facebook already do, and those places get messy and sucky too.  I think this place is better with neither button.  If you really like what someone is saying, reply with a +1 or a "this".  Not hard.

So, instead, let's divert this thread into how big our houses and bank accounts are! You first?

(06-04-2019, 09:54 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 08:42 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Sounds like a majority oppose the like button going away. Maybe to avoid hurt feelings you can keep just a "like" option and eliminate the dislike option?

I don't think it would hurt anything to bring back the "like" button and eliminate the "dislike," but I also agree with the mods that this is basically what Instagram and Facebook already do, and those places get messy and sucky too.  I think this place is better with neither button.  If you really like what someone is saying, reply with a +1 or a "this".  Not hard.

So, instead, let's divert this thread into how big our houses and bank accounts are! You first?

How about we turn it into a "let it go already" thread?  No need to rehash this crap here, is there?

(06-04-2019, 10:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 09:54 AM)mikesez Wrote: I don't think it would hurt anything to bring back the "like" button and eliminate the "dislike," but I also agree with the mods that this is basically what Instagram and Facebook already do, and those places get messy and sucky too.  I think this place is better with neither button.  If you really like what someone is saying, reply with a +1 or a "this".  Not hard.

How about we turn it into a "let it go already" thread?  No need to rehash this crap here, is there?

You're right.  Insulting people based on assumptions about their living situation was a bad idea.

(06-04-2019, 10:13 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 10:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: How about we turn it into a "let it go already" thread?  No need to rehash this crap here, is there?

You're right.  Insulting people based on assumptions about their living situation was a bad idea.

It was.

So is continually responding to such low-brow antagonism.

It appears we have a new JDub.

(06-04-2019, 10:13 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 10:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: How about we turn it into a "let it go already" thread?  No need to rehash this crap here, is there?

The ignore button still works. Unless of course you have lobbied to remove that one too. Feel free to click it. In fact, do it please.

(06-04-2019, 10:27 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 10:13 AM)mikesez Wrote: You're right.  Insulting people based on assumptions about their living situation was a bad idea.

The ignore button still works. Unless of course you have lobbied to remove that one too. Feel free to click it. In fact, do it please.

Done!