Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How do you guys feel about the FS position?

(06-04-2019, 03:34 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 08:49 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Was that your question he answered today?

I'd love to know, but it appears the jaguars.com site is a big white page right now.

If you're reading this soon after its posted, let me know if you can get onto the site. Do you recall if it said "Fred from Vancouver, WA."

Yes it was.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-04-2019, 03:34 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 08:49 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Was that your question he answered today?

I'd love to know, but it appears the jaguars.com site is a big white page right now.

If you're reading this soon after its posted, let me know if you can get onto the site. Do you recall if it said "Fred from Vancouver, WA."
I saw it this morning. 
He said he was referring to them as "the supposed starter at strong or free" because that was his expectation. 
The reality of that remains to be seen.

edit - here's his response to your question:

I have written several times in recent weeks and throughout the offseason that Jarrod Wilson is expected to start at strong safety, and I have written that Ronnie Harrison is expected to start at free safety. I have worded it this way because until they actually start there is no guarantee that they will start. The intention was not to imply anything about either player. Harrison and Wilson are the projected starting safeties. I expect both will start barring injuries or very poor play in training camp or preseason.

Fred- I think it said "...from Vancouver, BC".
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

If Harrison is the guy at FS, then yikes. I do not feel comfortable with him in there as the "range safety" playing deep in Wash's system. Now, if we manage to mix in Capers blitzing and we can keep consistent pressure on QB's, it will make the db's job a lot easier, obviously. I just don't know if Harrison is a fit in a Wash style defense @ FS.

On a positive note, I am more than content with Wilson at SS though, dude should beast it this year. I actually can't wait to see how he does, I expect a solid year of production from him.

This pretty much confirms it. They actually moved Ronnie Harrison from SS to FS so that starting position is set.

Now it's on to the battle between Wilson and the two UDFAs for the start at SS. This should be a great battle. Will Wilson fend off the youngsters? I'm not overly confident that he will.
'02

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2019, 03:02 AM by haveaseat.)

(06-05-2019, 01:12 AM)Jags02 Wrote: This pretty much confirms it. They actually moved Ronnie Harrison from SS to FS so that starting position is set.

Where? I don't think there's any way in hell that Ronnie Harrison isn't this team's strong safety opening day. That would be stupid as hell. This team heavily dropped the ball in finding a free safety for us. It's a huge need in this scheme and we're gonna pay for it surely.

(06-05-2019, 02:59 AM)haveaseat Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 01:12 AM)Jags02 Wrote: This pretty much confirms it. They actually moved Ronnie Harrison from SS to FS so that starting position is set.

Where? I don't think there's any way in hell that Ronnie Harrison isn't this team's strong safety opening day. That would be stupid as hell. This team heavily dropped the ball in finding a free safety for us. It's a huge need in this scheme and we're gonna pay for it surely.

Johnny O said...

Quote:I have written several times in recent weeks and throughout the offseason that Jarrod Wilson is expected to start at strong safety, and I have written that Ronnie Harrison is expected to start at free safety.

'02

Now it's on to the battle between Wilson and the two UDFAs for the start at SS. This should be a great battle. Will Wilson fend off the youngsters? I'm not overly confident that he will.

Again, I see you but, I raise you. 

If Wilson is better than Harrison @ SS, how will the youngsters outplay Wilson @ FS? Are they that good?

I'm asking for my friends. Me, Myself and I. LMBO.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-05-2019, 07:11 AM)NH3 Wrote:

Again, I see you but, I raise you. 

If Wilson is better than Harrison @ SS, how will the youngsters outplay Wilson @ FS? Are they that good?

I'm asking for my friends. Me, Myself and I. LMBO.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Your question confuses me.

My thinking is that Ronnie Harrison is the starting FS because they've idenfied that as the role they want him in. They know they want Harrison starting, and they've decided on FS for him. It's that simple in my mind.

So, in turn, that leaves Wilson pencilled in at SS with two UDFAs challenging him for the spot.

Knowing this, what's your question again?

Also, keep in mind that Z Woods runs something crazy fast. He'd blow Wilson away in a race, and I keep hearing a lot of good things about him. Almost as many good things as I've heard about "Thor."
'02

So it's been well covered that Johnny O insists that Ronnie Harrison is our FS.

Okay.

So, with that in mind, explain this comment by Wash regarding Harrison...

Quote:He’s a safety in the box most of the time.

In other words, our starting FS plays in the box most of the time? How does that work?
'02

(06-14-2019, 11:49 AM)Jags02 Wrote: So it's been well covered that Johnny O insists that Ronnie Harrison is our FS.

Okay.

Quote:He’s a safety in the box most of the time.

In other words, our starting FS plays in the box most of the time? How does that work?

a.  Oehser said he expects Harrison to play FS - he didn't insist 
b.  where (and when)  did you quote that Wash statement from?
c. Wash has stressed "interchangeability" from his safeties before - maybe they intend to finally mix it up and really disguise coverages that way

(06-14-2019, 12:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 11:49 AM)Jags02 Wrote: So it's been well covered that Johnny O insists that Ronnie Harrison is our FS.

Okay.

a.  Oehser said he expects Harrison to play FS - he didn't insist 
c. Wash has stressed "interchangeability"  from his safeties before - maybe they intend to finally mix it up and really disguise coverages that way

It was one of Wash's last two media sessions (I'm thinking his last one), and Oesher was rather emphatic about saying he's reported all along that he expects Harrison to play FS. Oesher is not the type to expect something with good reason.
'02

I agree they are likely going to be playing interchangeably, but I don't know if Harrison playing deep on a semi regular basis is going to be more of a disguise as much as it will be a flashing light to take advantage for opposing teams.

(06-15-2019, 06:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 12:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: a.  Oehser said he expects Harrison to play FS - he didn't insist 
c. Wash has stressed "interchangeability"  from his safeties before - maybe they intend to finally mix it up and really disguise coverages that way

It was one of Wash's last two media sessions (I'm thinking his last one), and Oesher was rather emphatic about saying he's reported all along that he expects Harrison to play FS. Oesher is not the type to expect something with good reason.

Wash talked about Harrison playing well near the line against the run. I never heard him say anything about him playing there “most of the time”

Johny O does a pretty good job overall, but he is often glaringly wrong about some things. This feels like him being confused about the safeties cross training during OTAs or something.

Zero doubt in my mind that Harrison locks down the box safety role for the foreseeable future.

Wilson is a good young player that can play either position at least OK. I would love to see him continue to grow and secure that FS role. Worst case, he seems like great depth in the back.

(06-15-2019, 12:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 06:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote: It was one of Wash's last two media sessions (I'm thinking his last one), and Oesher was rather emphatic about saying he's reported all along that he expects Harrison to play FS. Oesher is not the type to expect something with good reason.

Wash talked about Harrison playing well near the line against the run. I never heard him say anything about him playing there “most of the time”

That's precisely what he said.
'02

(06-02-2019, 10:22 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2019/06...backfield/

Harrison and Wilson seems to have the nucleus to sustain the safety positions as of yet. As it's been eluded to theres competition, BUT is the competition ready for the NFL. As I've previously stated, they're undrafted for an reason while it will take some time for them to develop as Wilson has.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

The more I think about it....if we expect to be an elite defense then Wilson is out of the question at FS

Harrison has to be the SS in my opinion.

(06-15-2019, 08:22 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The more I think about it....if we expect to be an elite defense then Wilson is out of the question at FS

Harrison has to be the SS in my opinion.

I don't feel like Harrison "has" to be the SS. The guy is just as lights out in coverage as he is in tackling, and when you look at Thor, he projects to be an ideal SS. The other rookie Woods projects more as a SS too although he's got like 4.3 speed so he could play both. At any rate, I could totally see Harrison at FS and one of those two rookies at SS. I figure Wilson starts early on as he knows the system, but one of those two rookies makes the roster and eventually takes over. Wilson's ceiling is only so high.
'02

I hope they find an upgrade on cut day to be honest. Wilson is just a guy who happens to know the system.