Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So, are we going for Super Bowl or bust?

(06-14-2019, 11:47 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 11:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The way you win a Super Bowl is to make the playoffs and get hot.   Which happens all the time.   So all they can do is make the playoffs, and it's a roll of the dice from there.   So, Super Bowl or bust?  No.   Just make the playoffs.  After that, anything is possible.
Making the playoffs is going to be a tall order, IMO. The AFC South is no joke and I believe it's the 2nd most competitive division behind the NFC South (Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Bucs). 

Colts are the favorites IMO, Texans have a potent pass rush with Watson and Hopkins, and then the titans seem to have the Jags number. It's going to be a tall order this season and if they miss out on winning the division, you have to contend with the Wild Card spots which could be Steelers, Browns, Ravens, Chiefs, Chargers.... Gonna be a wild season.

I can't imagine the Bucs defense suddenly being all that great even with Suh. You probably ought to swap out NFC South with NFC North.
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

What was the point of signing Foles, if playoffs or bust isnt the goal. We could've rode it out with the old blake contract and missed the playoffs and got a better QB via draft and had more room to sign Yannick by now. Stop with the excuses and get it together people. I refuse to believe we just hurt ourselves via the cap to just compete and make excuses for if we dont make the playoffs. Playoffs or bust, anything else is asinine.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(06-14-2019, 11:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The way you win a Super Bowl is to make the playoffs and get hot.   Which happens all the time.   So all they can do is make the playoffs, and it's a roll of the dice from there.   So, Super Bowl or bust?  No.   Just make the playoffs.  After that, anything is possible.

I Concur.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-15-2019, 08:45 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: What was the point of signing Foles, if playoffs or bust isnt the goal.  We could've rode it out with the old blake contract and missed the playoffs and got a better QB via draft and had more room to sign Yannick by now.  Stop with the excuses and get it together people.  I refuse to believe we just hurt ourselves via the cap to just compete and make excuses for if we dont make the playoffs.  Playoffs or bust, anything else is asinine.

I feel like this too. When you go out and pay big money to a QB, then your going all-in.

On top of that, we’re still in win-now mode because we can’t keep this defense together forever. Once Ramsey gets paid, and Jack etc. also Campbell ain’t getting younger and Bouye is still getting paid handsomely. 

I feel like we are going for broke..

Vic Ketchman gives some insight I agree with:

Kirsten from Madison, WI
Is mortgaging the future in order to win championships now an acceptable strategy if you actually win those championships? What should be the goal, being a perennial contender or racking up the occasional Lombardi Trophy? What's more profitable?
You're describing the dirty little secret: The Super Bowl isn't the goal; the goal is making it into the playoffs every year. The problem with mortgaging your future to win it all now is it creates self-inflicted rebuilding, which creates an expectation for losing. Periods of darkness are devastating for a franchise. The goal is to contend for the playoffs every year; it gives a franchise a steady heartbeat. The Broncos won the Super Bowl just three years ago, but the effects of what it took to do it have left the franchise in a state of mediocrity and in search of a coach and a quarterback who can lead the franchise out of its darkness. I don't think winning a Super Bowl is worth years of hopelessness.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2019, 07:55 AM by The Real Marty.)

(06-19-2019, 06:26 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Vic Ketchman gives some insight I agree with:

Kirsten from Madison, WI
Is mortgaging the future in order to win championships now an acceptable strategy if you actually win those championships? What should be the goal, being a perennial contender or racking up the occasional Lombardi Trophy? What's more profitable?
You're describing the dirty little secret: The Super Bowl isn't the goal; the goal is making it into the playoffs every year. The problem with mortgaging your future to win it all now is it creates self-inflicted rebuilding, which creates an expectation for losing. Periods of darkness are devastating for a franchise. The goal is to contend for the playoffs every year; it gives a franchise a steady heartbeat. The Broncos won the Super Bowl just three years ago, but the effects of what it took to do it have left the franchise in a state of mediocrity and in search of a coach and a quarterback who can lead the franchise out of its darkness. I don't think winning a Super Bowl is worth years of hopelessness.

Wow, that's really well said.  I totally agree.  

As a fan, I can get over not winning a Super Bowl if we just win more games than we lose, and if we make the playoffs.  

But I remember the Jaguars mortgaging the future to try to win a Super Bowl in the late 90s, and what followed was years of darkness, our best coach ever getting fired, and no Super Bowl appearances.

(06-19-2019, 06:26 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Vic Ketchman gives some insight I agree with:

Kirsten from Madison, WI

Vic's been banging that drum as long as I can remember - the goal is the postseason, and you hope you peak at the right time. I can't argue with that one bit.

Guys it’s a 1/32 chance of winning a SB, those are incredibly unfavorable odds.

What we should be aiming for is being a 9-7 - 12-4 team every year, that’s the true goal. Then our odds become 1/4 which are much more favorable

(06-19-2019, 08:34 AM)MojoKing Wrote: Guys it’s a 1/32 chance of winning a SB, those are incredibly unfavorable odds.

What we should be aiming for is being a 9-7 - 12-4 team every year, that’s the true goal. Then our odds become 1/4 which are much more favorable

Your goal should always be to win the SB

(06-19-2019, 09:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-19-2019, 08:34 AM)MojoKing Wrote: Guys it’s a 1/32 chance of winning a SB, those are incredibly unfavorable odds.

Your goal should always be to win the SB

Not always no

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2019, 09:57 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(06-19-2019, 01:19 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 08:45 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: What was the point of signing Foles, if playoffs or bust isnt the goal.  We could've rode it out with the old blake contract and missed the playoffs and got a better QB via draft and had more room to sign Yannick by now.  Stop with the excuses and get it together people.  I refuse to believe we just hurt ourselves via the cap to just compete and make excuses for if we dont make the playoffs.  Playoffs or bust, anything else is asinine.

I feel like this too. When you go out and pay big money to a QB, then your going all-in.

On top of that, we’re still in win-now mode because we can’t keep this defense together forever. Once Ramsey gets paid, and Jack etc. also Campbell ain’t getting younger and Bouye is still getting paid handsomely. 

I feel like we are going for broke..
Super Bowl or bust is too much.  I just feel like we killed our chances of consistent playoff births as well, if Foles doesnt light it up.  Building through the draft is priority 1.  FA is priority 2.  We choose 2 and now are hoping we can keep enough of our priority 1's to keep hope alive.  I dont like it, but Foles better get it done since we are stuck with him for at least 3 years, with hopes of drafting more studs.
Season Tix, Section 409

Regardless of everyone's opinions on ultimate goals, achievable goals, and what the term "or bust" actually means -
- this coaching staff and front office are very likely to see sweeping changes if they don't produce at least an 8-8 record that includes competitive losses. Not blowouts.

If the team incurs any blowout losses, they'd better happen early while they can blame them on the new offense still coming together.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2019, 10:32 AM by Kane.)

(06-13-2019, 04:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: SB or bust?  I seriously doubt anyone is looking at it that way.

I dunno...

as a fan I kind of am.
As you said, we gave big money to a free agent QB. We have had a top tier D the past 2 seasons. And we have current players that COULD be leaving us if we don't have the means (or want) to resign them (Ramsey, Yan, Jack, other notable big time FAs that have made an impact)

I see this as the perfect scenario for a window slamming shut, if... QB doesn't pan out, defensive stars don't stick around... etc etc.

If not now, when?

SB or Bust baby!

(06-19-2019, 09:21 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-19-2019, 09:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Your goal should always be to win the SB

Not always no

Yes always.

Every year 1 team wins the superbowl and everyone else are losers.

Outside of the whole scenario where you know you aren't going no way no how... then I suppose it's about building toward the future...(I guess)
but realistically any season not ending in lifting the Lombardi is a failure.

That is the goal of the NFL season.

(06-19-2019, 10:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Regardless of everyone's opinions on ultimate goals, achievable goals, and what the term "or bust" actually means -
- this coaching staff and front office are very likely to see sweeping changes if they don't produce at least an 8-8 record that includes competitive losses.  Not blowouts.

If the team incurs any blowout losses, they'd better happen early while they can blame them on the new offense still coming together.

I was furious at first, but i have come around now.  He's our guy so i'll ride with him till the wheels come off.  There will be a learning curve for the offense but defense should be ok.  LB core worries me but i think if they hold steady the D should be fine.  Offense just needs to do better than years past and i believe that can be accomplished.
Season Tix, Section 409

Kirsten from Madison, WI

We've already done our years of hopelessness and should be used to it by now.  I'll take the Super Bowl and take my chances on what comes after.

(06-19-2019, 10:29 AM)Kane Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 04:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: SB or bust?  I seriously doubt anyone is looking at it that way.

I dunno...

as a fan I kind of am.
As you said, we gave big money to a free agent QB. We have had a top tier D the past 2 seasons. And we have current players that COULD be leaving us if we don't have the means (or want) to resign them (Ramsey, Yan, Jack, other notable big time FAs that have made an impact)

I see this as the perfect scenario for a window slamming shut, if... QB doesn't pan out, defensive stars don't stick around... etc etc.

If not now, when?

SB or Bust baby!

The ultimate goal is the SB every single year. 
I think owners have more realistic goals that are acceptable to them for many seasons. 

When you add "or bust" it implies (to me at least) major consequences if the goal is not attained. 

I personally do not think that Khan will be firing his GM and HC if the Jags win 9 reg. season games + a wildcard game.  Do you?

I dont think its SB or bust but the goal should always be win the SB.

(06-19-2019, 12:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I dont think its SB or bust but the goal should always be win the SB.

The ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl.  The best way to do that is to get into the playoffs as often as possible  The worst way to do that is to mortgage the future and take wild chances.  

So that's why I say, I would rather have a team that consistently makes the playoffs, rather than a team that is super great one year and lousy the next 5 years.  

I remember the last time we took wild chances and mortgaged our future for one more try at a Super Bowl, and it was no fun going through the tearing down of our roster in order to get under the salary cap, and firing the best coach we ever had.  

Look at the Giants just a few years ago.  They went 10-6, and won 4 road games, including the Super Bowl.  

Just. Get. In.  If you do that every year, you maximize your chance of winning the Super Bowl.

(06-19-2019, 09:21 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-19-2019, 09:20 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Your goal should always be to win the SB

Not always no

I disagree.  The goal should always be to win the Super Bowl.  That's the ultimate goal.  In order to achieve that goal certain other "goals" (milestones) need to be reached.  First and foremost have a winning season.  Second win the division.  You almost always need to reach the two milestones in order to reach the ultimate goal.  It is possible but not very likely to win the Superbowl without being a Division Champion.  Only 4 teams have ever done it since the NFL expanded to 32 teams and 4 divisions per conference.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.