Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With Foles making all these pinpoint throws in mini-camp...

(07-01-2019, 06:56 PM)Predator Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 05:11 PM)Kane Wrote: Huh?

Mark Rypien won a Superbowl MVP

He also shares that record with 6 other QBs.

P Manning
Foles
Y A Tittle
George Blanda
Sid Luckman
Adrian Burk
Joe Kapp
Drew Brees

Now.... my extensive NFL knowledge doesn't go super far back... but I'm willing to bet there's an average QB or two on that list.

Foles also did it to a terrible Oakland team that had 4 wins and allowed the 4th most points in the league that year.

You would lose that bet. Every player on that list were pro bowl players. Most were champions, and  current or future hall of famers.

Alright... you made me do some work...

Adrian Burk
TDINT:
61–89
Yards:
Passer rating:

Average no? Sure he made a pro bowl or two.... but pro bowl doesn't mean much. His career stats are average I'd say, even for the era of football he played in.

Joe Kapp
Rat 48.9
Yds 5911
Y/A 6.4
TD 40
Int 64

I mean come on.... I'm not even saying these guys were garbage... Alls I'm saying is winning an award for being great once (a pro bowl, or a singular great game) or happening into some sort of record doesn't exactly elevate you beyond average.

Being better than average is playing above an average line for a long period.
And to be honest, Foles has actually been less than average for the majority of his career. Save for one season and a couple games with a really good Eagles roster.
Outside of Philly Foles played like poo with poo around him.

Dilfer is a champion too btw.
So ya know, rings don't tell the whole story either.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd take a ring here any way we could get it.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2019, 10:59 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(07-02-2019, 10:26 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: I'd take a ring here any way we could get it.

Throwing to Grant in the second half of the AFCCG would've helped but i'm not the coach. Would've loved a defensive SB in 17 but it wasnt in the cards for the NFL. Plus, we weren't the Rams in LA so it wouldn't have made enough money.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(07-02-2019, 10:26 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: I'd take a ring here any way we could get it.

Fully agree.

I don't care if we have an elite QB or whatever.

Just win

(07-02-2019, 12:09 PM)Kane Wrote:

Fully agree.

I don't care if we have an elite QB or whatever.

Just win

[Image: 200.gif]
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Skip to 16 minutes for God Foles

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oiraILyNH6s&t=1040s

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2019, 02:47 PM by Predator.)

(07-02-2019, 09:43 AM)Kane Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 06:56 PM)Predator Wrote: You would lose that bet. Every player on that list were pro bowl players. Most were champions, and  current or future hall of famers.

Alright... you made me do some work...

Adrian Burk
TDINT:
61–89
Yards:
Passer rating:

Average no? Sure he made a pro bowl or two.... but pro bowl doesn't mean much. His career stats are average I'd say, even for the era of football he played in.

Joe Kapp
Rat 48.9
Yds 5911
Y/A 6.4
TD 40
Int 64

I mean come on.... I'm not even saying these guys were garbage... Alls I'm saying is winning an award for being great once (a pro bowl, or a singular great game) or happening into some sort of record doesn't exactly elevate you beyond average.

And to be honest, Foles has actually been less than average for the majority of his career. Save for one season and a couple games with a really good Eagles roster.

When was Dilfer the MVP of a championship? What all time record does Dilfer hold?

If throwing 7TDs is something an average player can do, then why are the only other players in the last 50 years to accomplish this are Peyton Manning and Drew Brees?
All 3 hold the record and are Superbowl MVPs. Very average accomplishments.

Blurb on Foles offseason focus and a video where Florio and Simms debate Simms' ranking of Foles at #16 for 2019 QBs.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ksonville/

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2019, 08:20 PM by Eric1.)

(07-02-2019, 02:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Blurb on Foles offseason focus and a video where Florio and Simms debate Simms' ranking of Foles at #16 for 2019 QBs.

Have you seen that top 40 QB list from Simms? It is terrible lol..

[Image: qSpASd6.jpg]

Chris Simms clearly has Post-Concussion Syndrome and should get medical help before he goes into full blown crisis.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-02-2019, 08:47 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 05:52 PM)Jags02 Wrote: A few SB-winning QBs won the SB despite being an average QB because their D was simply that good. In the Eagles case, however, they won the SB primarily because Foles was so darn accurate and clutch. 

I get what you are saying but you are stretching it.  Foles did have a good game and most have said he has very, high highs and very, low lows.  Bringing up anything in his "high" sample size of games is not going to dispute the very low performances he has had.  If thats the case then QBs should be very easy to find based on a few great games without a full season under center.  I hear every year about how this or that QB looked good but nobody really had film on him for a full season.  Team gets film and it negates the dominance in future years.  Maybe i just look at the game different and pay attention to different parts of it then most others.

He hasn't had that many lows with the Eagles. Week one vs the Falcons was ugly, but he did great every game he played in after that this past season. Aside from week one, his worst regular season performance had him recording an 89.4 qb rating. In 2018 it was more 50/50, but keep in mind this was after being thrust into action as the backup. That he kept it together and then looked fantastic in the playoffs is a testament to just how good he was.

Look at his postseason stats from 2017. He finished with a qb rating over 100 in all three games including his Super Bowl victory, and against the Vikings, he had a nearly perfect rating of 141.4. His combined postseason passing stats worked out to...
  • 3 starts, 3 wins, 77 of 106 (72.6%) for 971 yards (9.2 YPA) and 6 TDs with 1 INT for a 115.7 qb rating

'02

(07-02-2019, 02:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Blurb on Foles offseason focus and a video where Florio and Simms debate Simms' ranking of Foles at #16 for 2019 QBs.

Notice how the other guy thinks 16 is way too low, and then Simms had to explain that it's nitpicky at this point because with the top 16 it's only minute details that separate 10 or 12 from 16. In other words, they both feel that Foles is an above average QB. 
'02

(07-02-2019, 09:17 AM)Upper Wrote: Romanticizing the peaks and forgetting the valleys (or even baseline) is Jags02's specialty, not that he is anywhere near alone in that. Just recount his recent opinions on how Fournette, Robinson, and Norwell's Jaguars careers have gone thus far.

And the opposite true. There are people on here who think that a downturn means a player must be trash in spite of the upside. You have to look at the complete package and be critical when it's warranted but be also be willing to give credit where it's due.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(07-02-2019, 02:44 PM)Predator Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 09:43 AM)Kane Wrote: Alright... you made me do some work...

Adrian Burk
TDINT:
61–89
Yards:
Passer rating:

Joe Kapp
Rat 48.9
Yds 5911
Y/A 6.4
TD 40
Int 64

When was Dilfer the MVP of a championship? What all time record does Dilfer hold?

If throwing 7TDs is something an average player can do, then why are the only other players in the last 50 years to accomplish this are Peyton Manning and Drew Brees?

many players can throw 7 TD in a game. However, usually by TD #5, the game is out of reach and a sane coach pulls his franchise guy to avoid risk of injury or fatigue. Rosters are MUCH deeper today than they were 50 years ago, too, so garbage time is a lot more important for reps and development of your depth players.

So you're either looking at stubborn coaches (not bloody likely considering who was named) or they were in a defenseless shootout with another team.

It's a stat. Whoop de poop. Don't rely on a single-game stat to blur your outlook on a season-long performance expectation. The truth is, we know he can be good when he's on. We get it. What we don't know is whether or not that expectation is sustainable. I suggest you read up on a guy named Timmy Smith. He ran for over 200 yards in a Super Bowl, so he HAS to be good, right? I mean, that's over three times what Walter Payton rushed for in ALL of his Super Bowls combined.

I'm not bashing Foles. I'm saying that an award or a stat pulled out of context is not going to convince me to by Super Bowl tickets in July, or equate him to elite talent at his position.

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2019, 09:06 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(07-03-2019, 06:05 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

Notice how the other guy thinks 16 is way too low, and then Simms had to explain that it's nitpicky at this point because with the top 16 it's only minute details that separate 10 or 12 from 16. In other words, they both feel that Foles is an above average QB. 

I've been debating QB rankings on this board for the past 2 years.  The top elite Qbs are close to retirement and then you have your russel wilson, deshawn watson, andrew luck, and maybe a few sprinkles of elite left to round out a top 5 or 7.  Also, I dont think Watson is currently elite but he has a chance to be with whats left as does Baker Mayfield. Foles is above average when you look at what we have in the league as far as QBs.  For some reason though, this group feels that there are 15 standup QBs in this league to build a team around to succeed when i seriously beg to differ.  

Bottom line is, Foles is above average because the QBs are meh once the elites are taken out of the equation.  I guess no one has been paying attention to that.

Elite QBs who i feel will be gone soon.....Brady, Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan.
Season Tix, Section 409

(07-02-2019, 02:44 PM)Predator Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 09:43 AM)Kane Wrote: Alright... you made me do some work...

Adrian Burk
TDINT:
61–89
Yards:
Passer rating:

Joe Kapp
Rat 48.9
Yds 5911
Y/A 6.4
TD 40
Int 64

Don't strain yourself moving those goal posts...
I said Dilfer was a champion.

The question here is, can average QBs accomplish "great" things. Set records. Win championships and MVPs.
I listed a few examples of all of it.
I said my list contained one or two average guys, then proved that it did.
Never did I say Manning or Brees were average.

And if I had to bet, I'd bet 7 TDs becomes a more likely feat as the game moves that way.
And I'd bet Brees could do it again and Foles likely never would.

Previously I named a Superbowl MVP who was average in Rypien.
Eli Manning won Superbowl MVP and while he was certainly spectacular in those playoffs, he was pretty average most of his career and a lot during the regular season.
Now I wouldn't exactly call Eli average... but maybe only 'above average'

We're splitting hairs here, unless you actually think Foles is some great QB or the next coming.
He's average with peaks of greatness.
But he's had seasons of awful play too. So buyer beware is all I'm saying. Everyone thinks he's the ticket to the big game... I just don't see it.
Not that we can't get there, we just won't get there, because of him.
However, unlike Bortles we won't get there, in spite of him.

(07-03-2019, 09:30 AM)Kane Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 02:44 PM)Predator Wrote: When was Dilfer the MVP of a championship? What all time record does Dilfer hold?

Don't strain yourself moving those goal posts...
I said Dilfer was a champion.

The question here is, can average QBs accomplish "great" things. Set records. Win championships and MVPs.
I listed a few examples of all of it.
I said my list contained one or two average guys, then proved that it did.
Never did I say Manning or Brees were average.

And if I had to bet, I'd bet 7 TDs becomes a more likely feat as the game moves that way.
And I'd bet Brees could do it again and Foles likely never would.

Previously I named a Superbowl MVP who was average in Rypien.
Eli Manning won Superbowl MVP and while he was certainly spectacular in those playoffs, he was pretty average most of his career and a lot during the regular season.
Now I wouldn't exactly call Eli average... but maybe only 'above average'

We're splitting hairs here, unless you actually think Foles is some great QB or the next coming.
He's average with peaks of greatness.
But he's had seasons of awful play too. So buyer beware is all I'm saying. Everyone thinks he's the ticket to the big game... I just don't see it.
Not that we can't get there, we just won't get there, because of him.
However, unlike Bortles we won't get there, in spite of him.  coaching and bad game management in the 2nd half.  fixed.

Season Tix, Section 409

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2019, 10:21 AM by Kane.)

(07-03-2019, 09:41 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 09:30 AM)Kane Wrote: Not that we can't get there, we just won't get there, because of him.
However, unlike Bortles we won't get there, in spite of him.  coaching and bad game management in the 2nd half.  fixed.

Oh lord... are people still hanging onto the B-train?

I thought I was one of the last ones off...
Guess there will always be those who can't admit they were wrong about a guy.

(Bad coaching and game management certainly were an issue, but let's not pretend that Bortles was often drug to the finish line in most of our wins. I loved his heart and grit and his team first fall on the sword attitude. But as a QB he left a lot to be desired and ultimately broke my heart lol you should move on like the majority of us have)

(07-03-2019, 10:20 AM)Kane Wrote: Oh lord... are people still hanging onto the B-train?

I thought I was one of the last ones off...
Guess there will always be those who can't admit they were wrong about a guy.

(Bad coaching and game management certainly were an issue, but let's not pretend that Bortles was often drug to the finish line in most of our wins. I loved his heart and grit and his team first fall on the sword attitude. But as a QB he left a lot to be desired and ultimately broke my heart lol you should move on like the majority of us have)
I've moved on but i still don't put the majority of the blame on him for our failure as a whole, to not make it to the SB.  It's not clinging on to hope of him being elite or a 5000 yrds passer each year.  Its the point that even average QBs can make it to the big game.  he is average and still cant be the sole blame on that loss.  It was offensive and defensive coaching before all else.
Season Tix, Section 409

Simms says Bortles is the worst starting QB in the NFL...torches and pitchforks!

Simms says Foles is the 16th best QB in the NFL but really 10-12 through 16 are about the same...preach it brother!