Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fire Doug Marrone

(09-16-2019, 03:25 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 08:42 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Well, you're certainly wrong. Challenge to an early call at midfield that you won't win is dumb and you always go for the win on the road.

"...that you won't win"? They'd have totally won that no doubt whatsoever.

(09-16-2019, 09:46 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Did you guys notice Hayden when Marrone went to Ramsey? lol it's so obvious he lost the team and gets no respect from players, Hayden was like "get the  $%^& out and go coach" he even threw his drink haha

It's this kind of stuff that makes me wonder if this is the start of Marrone losing the locker.

I'd say it was 90% likely to be "ruling on the field stands." The ball is allowed to touch the ground as long as it's firmly in the hands of the receiver. The TV replay was inconclusive.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I would like to see JDR back in the fold.

(09-16-2019, 03:29 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 03:25 PM)Jags02 Wrote: "...that you won't win"? They'd have totally won that no doubt whatsoever.

It's this kind of stuff that makes me wonder if this is the start of Marrone losing the locker.

I'd say it was 90% likely to be "ruling on the field stands." The ball is allowed to touch the ground as long as it's firmly in the hands of the receiver. The TV replay was inconclusive.

Can we get a clip of it? The ball came about quickly hitting off the ground. That was not a catch and I'm convinced replay overturns the call.
'02

(09-16-2019, 04:34 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 03:29 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:

Can we get a clip of it? The ball came about quickly hitting off the ground. That was not a catch and I'm convinced replay overturns the call.

Hopkins controlled the ball and the tip of the ball contacted the ground as he rolled over.  He never lost control. 
I'll make a gif...

...Welp  -- Maybe I didn't see it right.  This looks like it bounces off the ground while D-Hop has only one hand on it but trying to gather it with two hands. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

(09-16-2019, 02:58 AM)Jags02 Wrote: The bigger issue for me was the STUPID call to go for two at the end. If Coughlin were to fire Marrone and take over, I wouldn't object. 
I liked the call to go for two. The Jaguars were running hot, and if you're more or less moving the ball at will, going for the endzone from six feet away isn't a half-bad idea. The stupid bit was running it up the gut with Threenette, who stupidly went to the ground without fully extending the ball across the plane. The hot hand was Gardner Minstache, and they should have left the ball in his hands.

(09-16-2019, 04:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 04:34 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Can we get a clip of it? The ball came about quickly hitting off the ground. That was not a catch and I'm convinced replay overturns the call.

Hopkins controlled the ball and the tip of the ball contacted the ground as he rolled over.  He never lost control. 
I'll make a gif...

...Welp  -- Maybe I didn't see it right.  This looks like it bounces off the ground while D-Hop has only one hand on it but trying to gather it with two hands. 

The initial replays didn't show hit hitting the ground, it was so quick. The first replay started when he regains control so it looked like he kept it just off the ground.

But that's an incomplete.

(09-16-2019, 04:48 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 04:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Hopkins controlled the ball and the tip of the ball contacted the ground as he rolled over.  He never lost control. 
I'll make a gif...

The initial replays didn't show hit hitting the ground, it was so quick. The first replay started when he regains control so it looked like he kept it just off the ground.

This is the second replayed shown in the original CBS broadcast. I just zoomed and slowed it down.

(09-16-2019, 04:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 04:48 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: The initial replays didn't show hit hitting the ground, it was so quick. The first replay started when he regains control so it looked like he kept it just off the ground.

This is the second replayed shown in the original CBS broadcast. I just zoomed and slowed it down.

Oh wow thanks. I think they showed 2 replays before the Texans ran the next play so on guessing no one got that good a look in time.

(09-16-2019, 04:45 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 02:58 AM)Jags02 Wrote: The bigger issue for me was the STUPID call to go for two at the end. If Coughlin were to fire Marrone and take over, I wouldn't object. 
I liked the call to go for two. The Jaguars were running hot, and if you're more or less moving the ball at will, going for the endzone from six feet away isn't a half-bad idea. The stupid bit was running it up the gut with Threenette, who stupidly went to the ground without fully extending the ball across the plane. The hot hand was Gardner Minstache, and they should have left the ball in his hands.

Except they did.  There were multiple plays called that depended on how the defense lined up.  Minshew had 3 options.  Hand it off, run it himself or throw it.  He made the decision.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2019, 05:21 PM by p_rushing.)

(09-16-2019, 04:51 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 04:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This is the second replayed shown in the original CBS broadcast. I just zoomed and slowed it down.

Oh wow thanks. I think they showed 2 replays before the Texans ran the next play so on guessing no one got that good a look in time.
No they showed that exact replay, CBS just did nothing to slow it down so you could see the ball on the ground.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(09-16-2019, 05:11 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 04:45 PM)TJBender Wrote: I liked the call to go for two. The Jaguars were running hot, and if you're more or less moving the ball at will, going for the endzone from six feet away isn't a half-bad idea. The stupid bit was running it up the gut with Threenette, who stupidly went to the ground without fully extending the ball across the plane. The hot hand was Gardner Minstache, and they should have left the ball in his hands.

Except they did.  There were multiple plays called that depended on how the defense lined up.  Minshew had 3 options.  Hand it off, run it himself or throw it.  He made the decision.
That's not exactly a choice though. The play says run it based on the defense, it's not a choice with do what you like. The play call should have been a pass or QB if everything was covered.

(09-16-2019, 05:19 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 05:11 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Except they did.  There were multiple plays called that depended on how the defense lined up.  Minshew had 3 options.  Hand it off, run it himself or throw it.  He made the decision.
That's not exactly a choice though. The play says run it based on the defense, it's not a choice with do what you like. The play call should have been a pass or QB if everything was covered.

Yes it is.  It was an RPO (run, pass, option).  Minshew could have faked the run and went himself, could have faked the run and threw or could have handed it off.  He chose option #3.  The design was based on how the defense lined up.  He chose his option based on that.

I like the rookie QB as much as everyone else, but the play call and how it ended up is not really on the coaches/coordinator.

At the end of the day the right plays were called and it was up to the QB to decide what to execute.  Unfortunately he made the wrong decision based on the replays that I have watched.

My point is that so many people are saying "wrong play called" and "should have put it in Minshew's hands" when that is exactly what they did.  The kid is learning and did his best.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-16-2019, 05:41 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 05:19 PM)p_rushing Wrote: That's not exactly a choice though. The play says run it based on the defense, it's not a choice with do what you like. The play call should have been a pass or QB if everything was covered.

Yes it is.  It was an RPO (run, pass, option).  Minshew could have faked the run and went himself, could have faked the run and threw or could have handed it off.  He chose option #3.  The design was based on how the defense lined up.  He chose his option based on that.

I like the rookie QB as much as everyone else, but the play call and how it ended up is not really on the coaches/coordinator.

At the end of the day the right plays were called and it was up to the QB to decide what to execute.  Unfortunately he made the wrong decision based on the replays that I have watched.

My point is that so many people are saying "wrong play called" and "should have put it in Minshew's hands" when that is exactly what they did.  The kid is learning and did his best.

RPO is generally used when you read the DE and make the decision after the snap. This decision was made before the snap. It's 2 plays out of the same formation.

(09-16-2019, 05:41 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 05:19 PM)p_rushing Wrote: That's not exactly a choice though. The play says run it based on the defense, it's not a choice with do what you like. The play call should have been a pass or QB if everything was covered.

Marrone's post game presser seemed to indicate that the play that was sent in, while indeed an RPO, was coached to be dictated by what the defense showed them when they lined up. 

Meaning Minshew got the look they want for a run on that play, so he handed off.  This makes it a pre-snap decision. 

Quote:What went into the decision to go with Leonard Fournette up the middle when Fournette up the middle hadn't had a lot of success during the game? What was the thinking there on that one?

“We had a bunch of different plays called. So in other words, we had a play for Cover 0, we had a play for Red 2. We had a play for single-high man, we had a play for bear man, and really at the end of the day, we were fine with either one. Again, you come up a couple inches short and we lost the game.
Maybe I'm interpreted it wrong, but that's what I'm getting from Marrone's explanation.

Once again, my point is that Minshew had options and chose what to do on that final play (based on coaching).  I don't fault him for what he chose the same way that I don't blindly fault "coaching" as far as how the game ended.  He's learning and perhaps the next time he sees the same "look" from a defense he will choose another option.  It's not out of the question to run the ball if the defense shows man coverage on your receivers and that's what he chose.

This whole "bad coaching", "lost the locker room" and "bad play calling" thing is just wrong.  This is the NFL not college football and not a reality show (which is what twitter is).

fOURNETTE WAS CLEARLY IN. LOL AT NO CAMERAS ON THE SHORT SIDE OF THE GOAL LINE.

(09-16-2019, 07:02 PM)jags_r_bake Wrote: fOURNETTE WAS CLEARLY IN. LOL AT NO CAMERAS ON THE SHORT SIDE OF THE GOAL LINE.

It's actually really strange that the CBS and NFL crews  - given the timeout called by O'brien after we lined up to go for it - somehow still couldn't get a camera on the damn goalline, looking straight down the line. 
 How often do you see that view when they review scores in the last 2 minutes?  All the time. 
But not on this one.

(09-16-2019, 07:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 07:02 PM)jags_r_bake Wrote: fOURNETTE WAS CLEARLY IN. LOL AT NO CAMERAS ON THE SHORT SIDE OF THE GOAL LINE.

It's actually really strange that the CBS and NFL crews  - given the timeout called by O'brien after we lined up to go for it - somehow still couldn't get a camera on the damn goalline, looking straight down the line. 
 How often do you see that view when they review scores in the last 2 minutes?  All the time. 
But not on this one.
They only had 1 sideline camera. They need to install cameras in every stadium so CBS or FOX, etc just need the sideline ones

Fire
Too many penalties for false starts. Poor coaching symptom. And you don’t give it to the player who had the most rushing yards on a do or die running play? Take away the passing option to boot? The timing option? Now we are about to loose a premier rub as a result of the coaching being lame?

(09-16-2019, 06:12 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Once again, my point is that Minshew had options and chose what to do on that final play (based on coaching).  I don't fault him for what he chose the same way that I don't blindly fault "coaching" as far as how the game ended.  He's learning and perhaps the next time he sees the same "look" from a defense he will choose another option.  It's not out of the question to run the ball if the defense shows man coverage on your receivers and that's what he chose.

This whole "bad coaching", "lost the locker room" and "bad play calling" thing is just wrong.  This is the NFL not college football and not a reality show (which is what twitter is).

This implies that he had the power to change a call at the line in that scenario

https://twitter.com/demetrius82/status/1...52129?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."